Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #211
nyrebecca
DIS Veteran

I was taking what the OP said as being that they were just not giving out any cards to anyone, period.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #212
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

Only cards being given out anywhere are for children with autism. Apparently the decision was made yesterday.

Dd has Nuerocardiogenic syncope, pots, eds, ventricular tachycardia, pacts. She passes out a lot. She can use an ecv but she can't stand or sit for extended periods. Her blood pressure drops when she stands which causes her to pass out.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #213
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

Go back and talk to a supervisors. I doubt they are only giving cards out for autism an not others disabilities . They may mean hidden disabilities or those that can't be regulated via mobility device.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #214
nyrebecca
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToGoNow View Post
Only cards being given out anywhere are for children with autism. Apparently the decision was made yesterday.

Dd has Nuerocardiogenic syncope, pots, eds, ventricular tachycardia, pacts. She passes out a lot. She can use an ecv but she can't stand or sit for extended periods. Her blood pressure drops when she stands which causes her to pass out.
I can't fathom that they would only give out to kids with Autism. There are such a wide variety of situations that do not include Autism that I would think qualify for a card.

Did they perhaps state no card for your DD as they feel she should be using a wheelchair/evc for her issues?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #215
Kay1
Check out Ricki's hidden Mickey!
The only tricky part is judging when the actual boiling begins

One thing I'd like to know from the people who will be reporting from Disney is this: Will the Guest Relations outside the parks be equipped to take the photos?
I remember a long time ago having our pictures made for Aps and they were taken in the area just inside the MK, immediately to the right as you enter.

I would personally like to know where the photos (in all the WDW parks) are taken.

Thanks.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #216
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:

i don't think they can single out one disability as being "the one," especially as it seems if they were to go that extreme they would want "proof," which we all know they can never ask for.

WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #217
Spoot
Earning My Ears

Quote:

It doesn't seem like that could be legal!

Besides, since they cannot ask for proof of disability (or even ask what specific disability you have), how would that work? And not everyone with autism requires the same accommodations, so again, how does that work?

I'm not disbelieving you, I'm having trouble with the idea.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #218
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

That would not be legal. Not saying anyone is lying, but I think someone somewhere misunderstood or was misinformed.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #219
nyrebecca
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay1 View Post
One thing I'd like to know from the people who will be reporting from Disney is this: Will the Guest Relations outside the parks be equipped to take the photos?
I remember a long time ago having our pictures made for Aps and they were taken in the area just inside the MK, immediately to the right as you enter.

I would personally like to know where the photos (in all the WDW parks) are taken.

Thanks.

That is an awesome question. The past few times we have gone we have picked up either our APs or party tickets outside MK and gotten our GAC as well. Never even thought that it might not be able to be done there for the DAS. Thank you for thinking of this and asking.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #220
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

She went to both guest services and was told the same thing so no she did not misunderstand
Old 10-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #221
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

Seems more likely that they would say the cards are only needed for those with invisible disabilities "such as" autism

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #222
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Someone from WDW News Today has actually gone to MK and gotten a DAS, and is posting a lot of info on Twitter if you are interested.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #223
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218 View Post
Seems more likely that they would say the cards are only needed for those with invisible disabilities "such as" autism
I think it's very possible that a misinformed CM might say it's only for autism. A few years ago, when a GAC sometimes allowed for the use of an alternate entrance at character greet locations, I saw a few people going to the exit of one location. I brought DD there in her special needs stroller and showed the GAC, which she had for needs relating to autism and other medical conditions, but which wasn't apparent at first glance. CM said, "The exit is only used for Make a Wish and autism." Exact words. So I do think it's very possible that a CM with inadequate training might say something like that.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #224
Poohsmommi
Mouseketeer

Quote:

That cannot possibly be true, especially since it is illegal for them to ask what the disability is.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #225
Amommy21
DIS Veteran

Last edited by Amommy21; 10-09-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: