Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #151
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowanonfire View Post
UK guests can get 14 day or 21 day tickets. And there are plenty of UK visitors.
Yes, UK guests typically stay 2 or 3 weeks. I think if you were to stay 3 weeks, you could probably explain to a CM and see if they could extend the DAS by a week.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Old 10-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #152
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Here is the link to the WDW website page for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/fa...ies-cognitive/

A page with more information:

It includes a link to the new guidebook, which looks very complete(41 pages)
It has a wonderful table listing each attraction in one place, with information on things like bumps, surprises, getting wet.
Much of the information in the guide is applicable to guests with any type of disability.
https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/med...tive_guide.pdf
Thanks for posting the links. So far, I'm very impressed with Disney. I sure wish my computer could open the pdf guidebook. It loads it part way then stops and my computer freezes. Were you able to open it?

From what I did read, I feel pleased that although I did not get a response back from Disney from the email I sent, it sure looks like many of my concerns are addressed. I sure hope I can open the pdf and get a chance to read it. Hopefully the rest of my concerns are addressed there.

This link in particular gave me a sense of relief and confidence in Disney. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...ties-services/
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #153
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Thanks for posting the links. So far, I'm very impressed with Disney. I sure wish my computer could open the pdf guidebook. It loads it part way then stops and my computer freezes. Were you able to open it?

From what I did read, I feel pleased that although I did not get a response back from Disney from the email I sent, it sure looks like many of my concerns are addressed. I sure hope I can open the pdf and get a chance to read it. Hopefully the rest of my concerns are addressed there.

This link in particular gave me a sense of relief and confidence in Disney. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...ties-services/
Yes.
I opened and downloaded both the WDW and the DL one to my iPad.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #154
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes.
I opened and downloaded both the WDW and the DL one to my iPad.
Where does it list the break areas? Mine is still downloading. I'm stuck at 2.32MB.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #155
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Where does it list the break areas? Mine is still downloading. I'm stuck at 2.32MB.
Here's a screenshot I took of the ride table.

Not sure if this will work, but here's the text from the break area.
There are so many places throughout the Magic Kingdom® Park, Epcot®, Disney’s Hollywood Studios®, & Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park that are great for taking a break. There are also areas to relax that are typically a “little less busy” if your family member with a cognitive disability needs some down time. Some examples include:
Main Street, U.S.A.: First Aid; Side Street by Crystal Arts
Adventureland: Swiss Family Treehouse; Corridor to the left of Pirates of the Caribbean
Liberty Square: Behind Ye Olde Christmas Shop
Frontierland: Tom Sawyer Island (NOTE: you must take a raft ride to/from the island and some waiting may be required); Splash Mountain garden area
Fantasyland: Pathway leading from Cinderella’s Castle to Fairytale Garden; Pete’s Silly Sideshow area; Pathway behind The Barnstormer
Tomorrowland: Near Walt Disney’s Carousel of Prog- ress
Table service and quick service restaurant seating areas (during non-peak periods)
First Aid (part of Odyssey Center building next to Test Track)
Future World West: Courtyard and restroom area out- side Imagination pavilion; Area between Seas entrance and Coral Reef Restaurant
World Showcase: Mexico-Outside area to the right of the pavilion near the backstage gate; Germany-Garden area next to Glaskunst; Japan-Garden area; Morocco- Village Corridors; France-To the right of the buildings along the water’s edge; International Gateway; United Kingdom-Garden area at back of pavilion (when shows not running at gazebo)
Future World East: Near Ellen’s Energy Adventure
Table service and quick service restaurant seating areas (during non-peak periods)
Hollywood Boulevard: First Aid
Echo Lake: Walkway surrounding Echo Lake
Animation Courtyard: Near the restrooms to the left of The Magic of Disney Animation attraction
Sunset Boulevard: Courtyard outside The Twilight Zone Tower of TerrorTM
Streets of America: All areas (NOTE: this area is very congested during the The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights event)
Commissary Lane: Outside ABC Commissary
Discovery Island®: First Aid (next to Creature Comforts); Asia: Maharajah Jungle Trek

DinoLand U.S.A.®: Courtyard of Dinosaur; alcove across Table service and quick service restaurant seating areas (during non-peak periods) 36
Discovery Island Trails
Camp Minnie-Mickey: Greeting Trails from the entrance to Finding Nemo-The Musical Africa: Pangani Forest Exploration Trail

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #157
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkly View Post

Yes, UK guests typically stay 2 or 3 weeks. I think if you were to stay 3 weeks, you could probably explain to a CM and see if they could extend the DAS by a week.
Disney going to have to be very strict with his and make sure the cms don't stray to get from the policy. Like they did with gac so they may have to go back after the two weeks and get another week. The cms my not be allowed to extend them I could be wrong.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #158
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
While there may be only 10 days of park admissions, many of us with special needs kiddos can't be in the parks every day. We would only need 9, maybe 10 (depending on arrival and departure day timing though it's rare for us to go to a park those days) days of park admissions for a 13 night/14 day stay since every 3rd day has to be a resort day for us or DD15 will be melting down. Since promotions on resort reservations (at least for non-UK guests) typically can't exceed 14 nights, a 14 day max DAS makes sense. It would be nice if there was a way to get longer time if the resort reservation exceeded 14 days like for many UK guests but at this point it looks like that's not the plan.

As someone who does (well, guess it is did since this is the last trip) 4 weeks trips, I don't see any problem with a max. 14 day duration for any type of accessibility feature. It's hardly as if one has to drop in daily and with a bit of planning with regards to time of day and location it takes up very very little time to get something reissued when needs are clearly communicated. Even for an almost month long trip that would require only popping in twice. Yet limiting the duration is a very important tool in cracking down on abuse, for which the risk does increase the longer you let said feature be handed out. Personally I view it as a good sign that they are limiting duration to 14 days.

For my current trip technically I'ld have to pop in 3 times for this trip, since the 14 days (already being practiced, unlike in recent past where for instance those of us with AP's and a longer resort stay could get a GAC for longer) happens to be right before the changing date of oct. 9th.Very likely will not be having my GAC reissued for those few days given some other hick ups (read; powerchair having such serious issues haven't been able to use it since days after arrival and back up at least allows me some mobility again, but it way to torturous to spend any time in let alone ride anything anyway), but have to say I consider that no biggie. And that's within the big scheme of things where I can only sit a max of 30 minutes at a time and a max of perhaps 2 or at most 3 hours a day. Obviously I require very strict planning and scheduling to enjoy most the parks have to offer when even just taking that into consideration, obviously there are plenty of times where that planning is not enough simply because the wait for an accessible vehicle is too long. Yet in the scheme of things those 2 minutes that reissue takes does not rock my boat. It's a very low "demand" imho, yet delivers a lot.

With the switch to DAS not only will that planning be much easier to do and can my wait time be much better predicted (thus allowing me to make better informed decisions) because they can much better predict the actual need for for instance an accessible vehicle. Combine that with me loving to mis a ride because the wait is too long for me with folks in there that need to be there, but having been beyond frustrated with noticing that would be the exception yet the norm more and more turned into not riding due to line clogged up with well...... other issues. The DAS in its base will allow much better predictable accessibility and with that much better accessibility in many different situations. One of my bumps is that I can't sent a runner out being on a solo trip (love it, but has it's cons obviously), but again this is where the DAS comes in extra helpfull; higher predictability.

Disney wont ever be able to do any and all, nothing they can do to make everything possible for everyone. Simple laws of physics, health etc. But within all of those limitations, they've also always made things so accessible that I'm very confident that my touring the park can only be improved by current changes. Having seen how above and beyond they've gone for me in the past I not only have faith in the system and above all the spirit of what they are attempting to achieve incl. those CM's that live by said spirit but also consider it a very small and very acceptable "price" to pay to drop in once in every 14 days.
Does it really work that way? Doors closing, windows opening, can you really allways count on that? I'll just continue to wish, hope and pray to make sure. Knock on wood, one, twice and trice. Still can't believe it, I really get to visit Mickey again..........

Always keep wishing, dreaming and hoping.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #159
Lsdolphin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Here is the link to the WDW website page for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities:

A page with more information:

It includes a link to the new guidebook, which looks very complete(41 pages)
It has a wonderful table listing each attraction in one place, with information on things like bumps, surprises, getting wet.
Much of the information in the guide is applicable to guests with any type of disability.
https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/med...tive_guide.pdf

Thank you so much this is great. I must admit I have a hard time believing story about people paying someone with a disability to use their GAC! However I see people parking in handicapped spaces who are not handicapped everyday!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #160
Stitch76
Mouseketeer

Quick question about return times.

Disney has done a great job clearing up some things, I don't think it's going to be as bad as I feared. With that said, I can't find info on one thing that I have been wondering about.
I have read rumors that if the wait time for a certain line is short enough, you will be waved on through instead of given a return time, however I have heard anything from 10-30 minutes on this rumor, depending on which site it's on. If a wait time is 15 min or below we would go ahead and get in the standby line anyway instead of using the DAS, since DS can handle short waits, especially if he has his stroller. However, if the wait was over that, we would probably need to use the DAS. Has anyone heard what the "true" time would be for this case??

Also, I just want to thank EVERYONE on this board for all the info and help. I know I have been stressed over this change, I can only imagine what you all have went through trying to sort out all this mess. THANKS!!

2008 All Stars Movies Resort
2010 Fort Wilderness
2012 Port Orleans Riverside
2015 ????Maybe????
Old 10-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #161
MaggieMollyMom
Mouseketeer

Wow!

The guidebook is great. I am very impressed...they even put in a visual schedule!!! I may use that one this trip instead of one I make!

DVC Members - BLT
Old 10-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #162
MaggieMollyMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch76 View Post
Disney has done a great job clearing up some things, I don't think it's going to be as bad as I feared. With that said, I can't find info on one thing that I have been wondering about.
I have read rumors that if the wait time for a certain line is short enough, you will be waved on through instead of given a return time, however I have heard anything from 10-30 minutes on this rumor, depending on which site it's on. If a wait time is 15 min or below we would go ahead and get in the standby line anyway instead of using the DAS, since DS can handle short waits, especially if he has his stroller. However, if the wait was over that, we would probably need to use the DAS. Has anyone heard what the "true" time would be for this case??

Also, I just want to thank EVERYONE on this board for all the info and help. I know I have been stressed over this change, I can only imagine what you all have went through trying to sort out all this mess. THANKS!!

I agree that it will not be a difficult change as we may have thought. I would also like to know this info about wait times.

And, yes, what a fantastic job the mods have done!! thank you for organizing it for us!

DVC Members - BLT
Old 10-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #163
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsdolphin View Post
Thank you so much this is great. I must admit I have a hard time believing story about people paying someone with a disability to use their GAC! However I see people parking in handicapped spaces who are not handicapped everyday!!!
There were 2 reasons for the change.
One was just too many users as one article that was posted earlier mentioned.
The other was abuse; not just tour guides, but also people without disabilities getting a GAC by saying they had a disability and people usify the GAC for rides the person with a disability was not going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch76 View Post

I don't have confirmation, but my best guess is 15-20 minutes.

I have 2 reasons for that:
1) when they actually used to explain to guests how to use a GAC, they said to use the regular line if the wait was 15-20 minutes for lines without Fastpass.

2) that is how I have heard other parks do it. For example, Universal allows people with their version of a disability card to use the Express Pass Line if the wait in the regular line is 15-20 minutes.
If that is the wait, the guest would probably be waiting almost the same time, whichever line they were in.

Well, I guess 3 reasons.
3) it would make much sense to give out a DAS wait time for that short a time in the future.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #164
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

Will DAS return times are available for all attractions not just attractions with FP?
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge

Old 10-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #165
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylvr View Post
Will DAS return times are available for all attractions not just attractions with FP?
I do not have confirmation of that either, but at WDW, most attractions are in process of adding Fastpass + so soon, almost everything will have Fastpass at WDW.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: