DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
At this price point how is this even considered a resale product because once you add in the closing costs, fees and upfront dues
People are (so far) not actually getting $113/pt. That's a listing price. It's like any other kind of real estate; negotiation is normal.

And while it's great that you got BCV at $115/pt, people looking to buy now are comparing to the current price of $130.
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunsil View Post
People are (so far) not actually getting $113/pt. That's a listing price. It's like any other kind of real estate; negotiation is normal.

And while it's great that you got BCV at $115/pt, people looking to buy now are comparing to the current price of $130.
So say this seller accepted $100 (compared to $113/115/130) and then add closing costs/fees, dues, and the fact that there's 1 point in 2013 = What's the net per point?? Is it still worth ROFR or is it that skipping ROFR is a 'sure thing'?

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
So say this seller accepted $100 (compared to $113/115/130) and then add closing costs/fees, dues, and the fact that there's 1 point in 2013 = What's the net per point?? Is it still worth ROFR or is it that skipping ROFR is a 'sure thing'?
It's all part of the negotiation. I don't think anyone's going to actually pay $100 for this contract either, but who can say? A "normal" price for it would probably be around $85/pt., and the buyer should be negotiating for the seller to pay 2014 dues because they're not getting any points until Dec 2014. But the ways of DVC negotiation are mysterious indeed.

Just keep in mind that listing prices average about 10% above selling prices. And this particular listing price is basically a huge outlier. There's someone listing with Fidelity trying to get $155/pt for a 300 point BWV contract. That's clearly delusional, or they just figure they'll throw out a random figure just to see what happens.

I think resale prices could conceivably rise until they're only a few dollars a point less than direct prices, but we're nowhere near that point yet. And I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm just saying it doesn't violate any obvious economic principle. Savings are savings.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #19
SFlaDisneyfans
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunsil

I think resale prices could conceivably rise until they're only a few dollars a point less than direct prices, but we're nowhere near that point yet. And I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm just saying it doesn't violate any obvious economic principle. Savings are savings.
Assuming all factors except price being static, prices will continue to rise until they reach the equilibrium point (where sellers and buyers are happy to continue doing what they are doing without any changes).

If a factor other than price changes (such as the US defaulting on its debt payments in a few weeks), then it is an entirely different model.

Put another way, as long as buyers are continuing to pay asking price as soon as a contract hits the market, prices are gonna keep a rising.
SFlaDisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
Annielkd22222
Mouseketeer

The resale places I am looking at are showing 98 dollars a point.
Annielkd22222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #21
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielkd22222 View Post
The resale places I am looking at are showing 98 dollars a point.
The Timeshare Store is listing Boardwalk in the high 80's. Are you sure you are talking about Boardwalk and not Beach Club or Bay Lake Tower?
Old 10-04-2013, 05:31 AM   #22
Annielkd22222
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The Timeshare Store is listing Boardwalk in the high 80's. Are you sure you are talking about Boardwalk and not Beach Club or Bay Lake Tower?
No, I am not talking about boardwalk because the thread is about beach club. I posted beach club is at 98.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #23
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielkd22222 View Post
No, I am not talking about boardwalk because the thread is about beach club. I posted beach club is at 98.
D'oh! Sorry - brain fart on my end. But again, BCV has generally sold only about $5 higher than BWV. Recorded median price last month was $90, and the range is about $79-95. The highest price recorded last month was $98. Prices are going up, so it's possible that the prices being negotiated today are a few dollars higher, but it would surprise me if they're $10 higher.

Usually when I look at the range of listed prices and then later look at what the recorded prices were, I find that the recorded prices came in an average of 10% or so below the listing prices - in other words, the brokers know what the market is, and list on the high side, which is what you'd expect. BCV might not follow that pattern exactly because the prices are going up so fast, and it's such a small resort with so few contracts.

I still think it's a stretch to try to get $113/pt. for 100 BCV points. But yeah, $100 isn't completely out of the question.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #24
Annielkd22222
Mouseketeer

I hope the selling price isn't 10% less, as I listed mine for only 2 dollars per point more than I wanted. (Not selling BCV or ones mentioned) but I want 100 per point and listed at 102.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #25
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

How with BLT, GF extra years, is this price reasonable? Market determine price, and that is still significantly hight per yr, than every other resort. By a long shot.

I love BC and might pay a premium over some resorts, but paying more for less yrs, would be a deal breaker. IMO there are just not a bunch if sellers, causing buying market to thrive. A yon of new buyers end up trying it, and loving it causing more demand, and addonitios doesn't help new buyers either.

But I'll take SSR for more yrs, and less $$. .. Or wait for poly at more with more yrs and I assume less per yrs worth of points.

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #26
JustTinking
DVC Member since 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkny View Post
I would think you can find value at other resorts.
Not a BCV lover myself, but I think BWV has similar amenities at a lower price. $85/per pt seems to be the new normal for BWV. That does represent a significant discount from direct prices.

JustTinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #27
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdana View Post
How with BLT, GF extra years, is this price reasonable?
People put a lot more mental emphasis on benefits received sooner rather than later. This is rational to a certain degree - that's what time value of money (TVM) is all about. But people tend to put an even lower value on benefits received far in the future than TVM would suggest.

With the 2042 resorts versus the 2060+ resorts, you're getting the same basic benefits for 30-ish years, at which point one benefit expires and the other continues for another 20-ish years. How much are you willing to pay for a benefit that doesn't begin for 30 years? Do you know what your life will be like in 30 years? How do you know the resort won't have been swallowed by a sinkhole or destroyed by a hurricane?

Obviously these disaster scenarios are far-fetched, but it's not totally irrational to discount considerably a benefit that's far in the future. As time goes on and the expiration dates get closer, obviously the prices will diverge. For now, though, people don't seem to be paying that much for a later expiration.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #28
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How much are you willing to pay for a benefit that doesn't begin for 30 years? Do you know what your life will be like in 30 years? How do you know the resort won't have been swallowed by a sinkhole or destroyed by a hurricane? Obviously these disaster scenarios are far-fetched, but it's not totally irrational to discount considerably a benefit that's far in the future. As time goes on and the expiration dates get closer, obviously the prices will diverge. For now, though, people don't seem to be paying that much for a later expiration.
Idk a specific, but to assume a contract in say 20 yrs compared to a contract with 0 yrs to be equal wouldn't be reasonable. (Even if resale value was 0, you would still have 30 van cations left).
I don't know what my life will provide, but making assumptions of I have no ideas.... would lead me to not max out my 401K every yr, and I wouldn't have paid off my house. Every extra nickel went to mortgage instead of getting cable tv, or a home phone, or redoing any room in my home, or drove a newer car. ... Just cause I don't know I won't die, or end up with cancer, or what ever, doesn't mean I'm not better off having a nest egg and no mortgage. ...
If completely destroyed there is insurance, and we'd be reimbursed "cost value ", there is just as much of a chance for the Poly with 49 yrs left as BC with 2. If there were 2 yrs left on the contract or 32 yrs would certainly change the amount of reimbursement.

I agree with many don't look that far, but it doesn't make it more logical, it makes it more emotional.
I also am more conservative than most, and certainly more logical and less emotional even in my time share buying.
After heavy research I bought SSR resale, as it was the cheapest per point for the life of all contracts at time I bought. I took individual wants / resorts out of it completely. (As I was fine with a moderate) Never stayed there until after I owner end.

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #29
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

I think it is subjective. Some want to enjoy the now because who knows what tomorrow may bring. My DS loves BC and I want that to be annual end of school year tradition for us. We bought a small 50 point contract before prices hit the $100's. Expiration of the contract was not a factor for us. I bought where I wanted to stay. Those wonderful memories are far more important than a little extra $$ in the bank because you can't take it with you. Just MHO.
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #30
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

I think in the another 10 years we'll probably sell our 50y contracts - AKL & BLT and keep our BCV. It would be enough for us to go every other year for a week and I think that would work, by then.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: