Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #136
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
New link to DAS FAQs on Disney Parks Blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...rd-fact-sheet/

Disney Parks have an unwavering commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment and accessible experiences for guests.
Disney Parks is modifying the current Guest Assistance Card program, which provides access to attractions for guests with disabilities, so it can continue to serve the guests who truly need it. The new program is designed to provide the special experience guests have come to expect from Disney. It will also help control abuse that was, unfortunately, widespread and growing at an alarming rate.
The new Disability Access Service (DAS) Card will replace the Guest Assistance Card on Oct. 9. Guests at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort can request a Disability Access Service Card at Guest Relations. DAS Cardholders will receive a return time for attractions based on the current wait time.
Disney Parks has long recognized and accommodated guests with varying needs. Guests can visit Guest Relations to discuss their individual situation, and Disney Parks will continue to provide assistance that is responsive to their unique circumstances.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Disability Access Service Card and how does it work?

The DAS Card is designed to accommodate guests who arent able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). A Disability Access Service Card will be issued at Guest Relations main entrance locations and will offer guests a return time for attractions based on the current wait time. As soon as the Guest finishes one attraction, they can receive a return time for another. This service can be used in addition to Disneys FASTPASS Service and Disney FastPass+ service.

What will Disney Parks do if a Guest is concerned the DAS Card doesnt meet their needs?
Disney Parks have long recognized and accommodated guests with varying needs and will continue to work individually with guests with disabilities to provide assistance that is responsive to their unique circumstances. Guests should visit Guest Relations to discuss their individual needs.

Who will be eligible for a Disability Access Service Card?
Disney Parks goal is to accommodate guests who arent able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). Guests should visit Guest Relations to discuss their assistance needs.

How will guests get a Disability Access Service Card?
A Disability Access Service Card will be issued at Guest Relations main entrance locations. Guests will participate in a registration process, which also includes having their photo taken.

Why is Disney Parks doing this?
Disney Parks is modifying the current Guest Assistance Card program so it can continue to serve the guests who truly need it. The new program is designed to provide the special experience guests have come to expect from Disney. Disney Parks also hopes it will help control abuse that was, unfortunately, widespread and growing at an alarming rate.

Does the DAS Cardholder have to be present to obtain a return time at an attraction?
No. Another member of the DAS Cardholders travel party may obtain a return time but the DAS Cardholder must board the attraction with his or her party.

Where do DAS Cardholders go to receive return times?
At Disneyland Resort, guests will go to Guest Relations kiosks located throughout the parks to receive a return time. At Walt Disney World Resort, guests will go to the attraction to receive a return time.
Does a DAS Cardholder have to ride the attraction at the exact return time listed?
No. Return times are valid until redeemed by the DAS Cardholder.

How long is a DAS Card valid?
A DAS card is valid for up to 14 days depending on a guests ticket entitlement.

Is a DAS Card issued at one Disney theme park valid at other Disney theme parks?
Yes, the card will be valid throughout the resort at which it was issued.

Why doesnt Disney Parks ask for proof of disability, such as a doctors note?
Disney Parks takes Guests at their word and there are legal restrictions around asking for proof.

Is this the only service available to Guests with disabilities?
Disney Parks offer a variety of services to guests with disabilities, such as Disneys Handheld Device that offers assistive listening, captioning and audio description. Additionally, Disney Parks has developed a Guide for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities. This serves as a tool on how best to experience its theme parks and is expected to be available online by mid-October.

Disney Parks will continue to provide excellent guest service and accessible experiences. Guests should visit Guest Relations at any park should they feel they need assistance due to a disability.

Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need a DAS Card?
No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need a DAS Card. Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. For some attractions at Disneyland Resort, these guests will go directly to an alternate entrance. Guests with additional needs should discuss them with Guest Relations.

Will Disney Parks continue to provide a service to wish-granting organizations?
The change will not affect those who are visiting on trips organized by wish granting organizations. There is a separate program for children with life-threatening illnesses.
Am I missing something? This sounds like the DAS is now going to be just a Fastpass. Complete with having to travel to each attraction to get a return time. Why the extra layer of having to have a picture taken?
Old 10-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #137
Rowanonfire
Mouseketeer

Good to hear it is 14 days it may be issued for, not 7, as previously thought.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #138
dreamsofdisney
Still has a little Mickey Dust sprinkled on her desk from her last trip "home"!

Great information! Glad to hear that we won't have to go through the whole spiel every day at the parks at WDW - it will be so helpful to have it for length of stay.

There was definitely a concern for our family about having to go to the actual attraction to get a return time, so it's good to have it confirmed that a "runner" can do that piece. Our DD wouldn't understand why she's there but can't ride for 20, 30, 40 mins, etc.

We have MagicBands and have been able to use FastPass+ for our trip (6 days away!) but I'm not sure how FP+ will work with DD's feeding and hydration needs, or with her notoriously inconsistent sleep schedule. I'm guessing we'll be using a combination of FP+ and DAS, and anticipate being more selective about what rides/attractions we'll be able to fit in.

Anyone have any information as to whether there will still be accessible seating/roped off area for persons using wheelchairs or with disabilities for Illuminations or MK parades? On our previous trip, we felt that we got fewer stares and a kinder, more tolerant atmosphere in those sections...especially if DD was very "stimmy" or when we needed to give her her tube feedings. (She has a "stroller as wheelchair" tag due to her cerebral palsy, but also has Autism.)

DH45 ME41 DS20 DD4

1984 off site 1985 off site 6/1999 off site 3/2000 All-Star Movies 5/2001 All-Star Movies 4/2002 All-Star Movies 4/2003 All-Star Movies 2/2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge 10/2005 Honeymoon in Playa del Carmen, Mexico during Hurricane Wilma! 7/2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge 4/2011 Animal Kingdom Villas 10/2013 Animal Kingdom Villas

Old 10-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #139
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
I was just coming here to share the same link!!

So it looks like according to this, AP holders will be able to get a DAS good for 2 weeks, just like they were issuing the last GACs for...
Based on this, DAS cards are going to be issued based on your ticket media and not based on whether you are staying on property or not....which really makes much better sense!!
Up to 2 weeks is a big change.
The first reports were daily for everyone, then up to 7 days and now up to 2 weeks. So, there were things still changing.
Since these items are published in their blog now, I don't think there will be any changes to what we published.

It does say up to 2 weeks, so that does not necessarily mean they will do AP for 2 weeks. They could still do daily for AP holders, either just to start with at both parks, or just at DL. That still fits in up to 2 weeks.
I know that DL was more of a concern with abuse of GACs than WDW was, so I guess we will see what the time is for AP holders.
(And, if it less than 2 weeks, I would not be surprised to see it quickly go up as they get comfortable that the tour group operators are not getting DAS cards.

Being based on ticket media was one of the 'proofs' of length of stay mentioned early on.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #140
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
Am I missing something? This sounds like the DAS is now going to be just a Fastpass. Complete with having to travel to each attraction to get a return time. Why the extra layer of having to have a picture taken?
I'm guessing for a couple of reasons:
1) to have the program consistent with DL, which has a lot more attractions where entry for guests with disabilities is not Mainstream

2) the intent of the DAS is to meet the needs of the person with a disability so they can experience attractions. That person needs to ride (and sometimes wasn't). The picture on the card will be matched to the person.

3) a picture would be useful if someone does abuse, sell or use the DAS for commercial reasons. The person can't say they didn't know the rules or pass it off to someone else to use if their picture is on it and is on file.

4) it will be basically a one at a time, non-expiring Fastpass. Although some people with disabilities are feeling that might not meet their needs, there are people without disabilities who would still feel that is a benefit they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsofdisney View Post
Great information! Glad to hear that we won't have to go through the whole spiel every day at the parks at WDW - it will be so helpful to have it for length of stay.

There was definitely a concern for our family about having to go to the actual attraction to get a return time, so it's good to have it confirmed that a "runner" can do that piece. Our DD wouldn't understand why she's there but can't ride for 20, 30, 40 mins, etc.

We have MagicBands and have been able to use FastPass+ for our trip (6 days away!) but I'm not sure how FP+ will work with DD's feeding and hydration needs, or with her notoriously inconsistent sleep schedule. I'm guessing we'll be using a combination of FP+ and DAS, and anticipate being more selective about what rides/attractions we'll be able to fit in.

Anyone have any information as to whether there will still be accessible seating/roped off area for persons using wheelchairs or with disabilities for Illuminations or MK parades? On our previous trip, we felt that we got fewer stares and a kinder, more tolerant atmosphere in those sections...especially if DD was very "stimmy" or when we needed to give her her tube feedings. (She has a "stroller as wheelchair" tag due to her cerebral palsy, but also has Autism.)
Those areas before were open to anyone with a visible need (such as mobility device) or anyone with a GAC -first come, first served and limited spots available.
There has been nothing those viewing spots, either in anything official or in any rumors at all.
My guess is that they will work it the same way - guests with visible need and those with DAS, first come, first serve.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #141
dreamsofdisney
Still has a little Mickey Dust sprinkled on her desk from her last trip "home"!

Quote:
Those areas before were open to anyone with a visible need (such as mobility device) or anyone with a GAC -first come, first served and limited spots available.
There has been nothing those viewing spots, either in anything official or in any rumors at all.
My guess is that they will work it the same way - guests with visible need and those with DAS, first come, first serve.

Thanks for the info - that makes sense! If we can find a tucked away spot to watch parades or fireworks, we try to do that, but sometimes that option works best for us (if it's available.)

DH45 ME41 DS20 DD4

1984 off site 1985 off site 6/1999 off site 3/2000 All-Star Movies 5/2001 All-Star Movies 4/2002 All-Star Movies 4/2003 All-Star Movies 2/2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge 10/2005 Honeymoon in Playa del Carmen, Mexico during Hurricane Wilma! 7/2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge 4/2011 Animal Kingdom Villas 10/2013 Animal Kingdom Villas

Old 10-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #142
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

So much happier to know we won't have to Q at a kiosk then go to the ride after waiting! This way we can get off one ride send somebody to the next ride along, then have a look around at other wait times or get food etc. then go ride through the FP line

We always thought the Universal assistance pass worked really well, so this will now be the same!

Although I have to say I still think this is something that anyone who absurd the GAC cards will want! And nothing much will stop them from getting the card by explaining their needs!!

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
Old 10-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #143
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Up to 2 weeks is a big change.
The first reports were daily for everyone, then up to 7 days and now up to 2 weeks. So, there were things still changing.
Since these items are published in their blog now, I don't think there will be any changes to what we published.

It does say up to 2 weeks, so that does not necessarily mean they will do AP for 2 weeks. They could still do daily for AP holders, either just to start with at both parks, or just at DL. That still fits in up to 2 weeks.
I know that DL was more of a concern with abuse of GACs than WDW was, so I guess we will see what the time is for AP holders.
(And, if it less than 2 weeks, I would not be surprised to see it quickly go up as they get comfortable that the tour group operators are not getting DAS cards.

Being based on ticket media was one of the 'proofs' of length of stay mentioned early on.
TRUE, but I would not EXPECT them to say "FOR" two weeks because that would be silly when most ticket media doesn't extend beyond 10 days! they don't even sell a two week ticket. KWIM??? So why would they even word it that way if they weren't implying that it would apply to AP's? The only other people who could possibly buy a ticket longer than 10 days would be (European) international travelers. I know there are a handful but how many international travelers are in need of a DAS? Like I said, I'm sure there are a few, but that is a LONG way to travel and there is certainly a lot of waiting involved in traveling internationally! And it appears that the main point of the DAS will be to avoid waiting in a line...well it will act as a 'place holder' for the guest.

And remember it has pretty much been confirmed that the holder (or I am assuming a responsible party if the DAS holder is a minor or unable to sign for his/herself) of the DAS will have to sign an agreement that they understand the terms of usage of the DAS and they agree not to abuse it or to use it for monetary gain and if they do their rights to it will be revoked.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #144
seidelhd
Mouseketeer

For our family, I see us now having 4 options for our upcoming trip at AoA.
1. FastPass+ (I already picked 3 attractions each for our 2 days coming up).
2. Traditional FP. They are still letting you "double-dip" during the MagicBand test phase.
3. DAS card based on DD disabilities (she is more than just wheelchair bound).
4. wheelchair access line, which seems to be completely separate from the DAS.

Just like you can use both FP+ and regular FP right now, I see no reason why we could not use the DAS for some queue lines and the wheelchair return for others. We'll be also using a good touring plan, so I'm not as worried about these changes.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #145
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

It hasn't been explained yet how attractions without MainstreM lines will work.
One rumor is that those attractions would use return time tickes, given out at the attraction to anyone with a mobility device/who needed to use an accessible queue.
Another rumor is that guests with DAS cards will get a return time for those attractions, but guests without a DAS would get return time passes.

This is a list of non-Mainstream attractions at WDW. Many of them are shows and the wait for guests using the accessible line is no different than other guests

Most attractions for all parks are listed as "Enter through standard queue" for attractions without Fastpass or "Obtain a FASTPASS OR use Standby Queue" on the Guide for Guest with Disabilities maps for each park. There is also a large red box on the maps which says "Guests with any mobility or queue related assistance needs are encouraged to use the Disney's FASTPASS option where ever possible." There is the same explanation about how to use Fastpass as on the regular park maps.
These are the attractions in each park with a different method of access other than the regular line, as listed on the map:
MK

WDW Railroad:Enter using ramp on the RIGHT on Main Street

WDW Railroad:Enter using wheelchair ramp on RIGHT at Frontierland

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: Obtain Fastpass or see Host for options. If FASTPASS is not available, enter thru access on RIGHT

Country Bear Jamboree:Enter thru door on LEFT

Hall of Presidents:Enter through door on RIGHT

Liberty Square Riverboat:Enter through exit on RIGHT or LEFT

it's a small world:Follow directional signs to designated load area

Peter Pan's Flight:Obtain FASTPASS or see host for options. If Fastpass is not available, see a host for options.

Prince Charming Regal Carrousel:Enter through exit on RIGHT

Dumbo:Enter using ramp on RIGHT

Tea Party:Enter through exit on RIGHT

Space Mountain:Obtain a FASTPASS or see a host for options. If FASTPASS not available, enter through queue on RIGHT

Epcot

Spaceship Earth:Enter through the exit on the RIGHT or LEFT

Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the 3 Caballeros:Enter through the Standard Queue. Follow directional signs to designated load area.

American Adventure:See a host or hostess for access to second floor

Impressions de France:Enter through LEFT side of entrance hallway

Studio

Great Movie Ride:Enter through the Standard queue. A host will provide directions in the pre-show area

Studio Backlot Tour:Enter through the standard queue and stay to the RIGHT

Fantasmic:Enter through the standard queue and stay to the RIGHT

Animal Kingdom

Wildlife Express Train:Proceed through standard queue. A host will direct boarding

The Boneyard:Enter through the designated access gate

Old 10-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #146
dvc one day
Mouseketeer

Good list. A couple that could be added if they are not slightly off-topic:

Star Tours: They have been giving return times out since it reopened (can't remember if they did before). They do this because you can't use the standard queue in a wheelchair/ECV because of the stairs.

TSMM & KS: You can enter standard queue, but you are separated from the queue later.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #147
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc one day View Post
Good list. A couple that could be added if they are not slightly off-topic:

Star Tours: They have been giving return times out since it reopened (can't remember if they did before). They do this because you can't use the standard queue in a wheelchair/ECV because of the stairs.

TSMM & KS: You can enter standard queue, but you are separated from the queue later.
All of those are still considered a Mainstream Lines.

Toy Story Mania, Kilimanjaro Safari, Splash Mountain and Dinosaur all have stairs somewhere in the main line that have a bypass for guests who can't do stairs. Space Mountain has stairs in one side and not the other from what I remember.

Star Tours was not giving out return tickets before the renovation any time that we went. In the past when they did it for various attractions, it was usually for a temporary problem - like more people than the accessible area or waiting area could accommodate or there was some issue with using the area.

This is what is listed on the park map for guests with disabilities for StarTours.
Mobility Access: Obtain a FASTPASS OR see a host for options.
If FASTPASS is not available, enter through standard queue. See a host for Transfer Access Seat.

I have not been on StarTours with DD who uses a wheelchair since the renovation (each time we have been there, it has been out of service, has a long line because it just came back into service, we have just eaten or DD is physically not in shape to go).
It did not have stairs prior to renovation, at least in one of the lines. I don't think that changed during the renovation and they may limit numbers of guests in the building at one time with mobility issues for other reasons (like size of waiting area, evacuation purposes - once you are in the boarding area, the accessible wait out is to continue through one of the ride cars.)

Old 10-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #148
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
TRUE, but I would not EXPECT them to say "FOR" two weeks because that would be silly when most ticket media doesn't extend beyond 10 days! they don't even sell a two week ticket. KWIM??? So why would they even word it that way if they weren't implying that it would apply to AP's? The only other people who could possibly buy a ticket longer than 10 days would be (European) international travelers. I know there are a handful but how many international travelers are in need of a DAS? Like I said, I'm sure there are a few, but that is a LONG way to travel and there is certainly a lot of waiting involved in traveling internationally! And it appears that the main point of the DAS will be to avoid waiting in a line...well it will act as a 'place holder' for the guest.
While there may be only 10 days of park admissions, many of us with special needs kiddos can't be in the parks every day. We would only need 9, maybe 10 (depending on arrival and departure day timing though it's rare for us to go to a park those days) days of park admissions for a 13 night/14 day stay since every 3rd day has to be a resort day for us or DD15 will be melting down. Since promotions on resort reservations (at least for non-UK guests) typically can't exceed 14 nights, a 14 day max DAS makes sense. It would be nice if there was a way to get longer time if the resort reservation exceeded 14 days like for many UK guests but at this point it looks like that's not the plan.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 10-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #149
Rowanonfire
Mouseketeer

UK guests can get 14 day or 21 day tickets. And there are plenty of UK visitors.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #150
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Arrow NEW - links to WDW Guidebook for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities

Here is the link to the WDW website page for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/fa...ies-cognitive/

A page with more information:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/fa...ies-cognitive/

It includes a link to the new guidebook, which looks very complete(41 pages)
It has a wonderful table listing each attraction in one place, with information on things like bumps, surprises, getting wet.
Much of the information in the guide is applicable to guests with any type of disability.
https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/med...tive_guide.pdf

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: