Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #91
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
As others have said, I wouldn't expect phone CMs to have many DAS answers now or even in the coming weeks. Some have never set foot in WDW, to say nothing of dealing with disabilities there.

I'd suggest that you go to Guest Relations at the park and discuss your daughter's challenges. Rather than stating she "has other, global disabilities including being non-verbal and g-tube fed" you probably should elaborate on how those other disabilities impact her experience in the parks. To someone who doesn't "live" disabilities day-in and day-out, that probably sounds more like "she doesn't talk and can't eat" which on the surface doesn't directly correspond to any accommmodations currently available with GAC and therefore not likely to be construed a DAS accommodation either. If it impacts her ability to be in lines, you'll need to specifically explain that to Guest Relations. Remember, the DAS is only for accommodations related to accessing rides/attractions, it has no bearing on movement around/throughout the park or restaurants or transportation, etc.

If the wheelchair is her only "need" as related to accessing ride lines, she will not need the DAS (nor Return Times) and you may tour using FP/FP+ and accessing the noted mobility entrances.

Enjoy your land/sea vacation! I'm sure it will be magical for your DD!
Very important point.

I know some people have posted/said things like, "it's obvious my son has Down Syndrome, so I don't understand what CMs want from me?"

The things the CMs need from you are just the sort of things lanejudy mentioned - how does the disability relate/affect accessing or experiencing attractions.
An overall statement like "global delays" won't tell them what they need to know and neither will a diagnosis (like Down Syndrome or any other diagnosis). Some people with a particular diagnosis might have many, very few or no needs related to accessing/experiencing attractions.
Without more information, a CM who has never met the guest before has to guess what the needs are.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 10-03-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #92
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
There's not information at this time whether all attractions will have Fastpass + or not when it is actually rolled out ( as of October 2013, it is still in testing phase).

We also don't know for sure whether all attractions will have DAS or not.

For those that have both, a DAS holder could choose whether to get a Fastpass/Fastpass + or use the DAS.
Fastpass/Fastpass + would need to be used under the rules for that program! which includes a 'window' of time it needs to be used in.
Rumors are that DAS return times won't expire.

I sent an email to Disney on Friday asking questions and voicing some of my concerns. One of the questions I asked was which attractions would be applicable for the DAS. My son is limited on what he can ride right now.

That would be very helpful if DAS times don't expire. But reading one of the links said that the return cards for w/c would be void after a certain time, so it looks like those in particular will expire?

Mostly every attraction has a FP+ queue now. But not all are w/c accessible, such as Spaceship Earth.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #93
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
I sent an email to Disney on Friday asking questions and voicing some of my concerns. One of the questions I asked was which attractions would be applicable for the DAS. My son is limited on what he can ride right now.
That is not known yet, but as we get reports from people, it will become clearer.
Quote:
That would be very helpful if DAS times don't expire. But reading one of the links said that the return cards for w/c would be void after a certain time, so it looks like those in particular will expire?

Mostly every attraction has a FP+ queue now. But not all are w/c accessible, such as Spaceship Earth.
All the sources I have found point to DAS Return Times not expiring.

For attractions without Mainstream lines (like Spaceship Earth), they will be giving out return passes. Rumor is good that those will expire at a point (probably an hour).
Rumor, possibly true, is that at WDW, guests with DAS will be able to get a DAS Return Time for those attractions. But, it's also possible that they will use the attraction return passes instead if they need the accessible line.
That would allow them to use the DAS for an attraction that has a Mainstream line.

For Spaceship Earth, they already had a system in place for guest who needed special access and I think they will probably keep that process at Spaceship Earth.
A CM was stationed at the exit with a clipboard, tasking down names and the number of people in each group. The CM could usually give a pretty accurate idea of the wait time. Guests could wait in the seats in the area or have part of their party wait there while some played games and came back close to the time they were given.
At the ride time, a CM came down the exit and lead a number of groups of guests to board at the same time.
It seemed to work well for most people and for ride flow.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #94
Hollywoodhaha
After all this time? Always
Mad Hatter It's a love story, Baby just say yes

Most of us have had our training for this new card. I had mine a few days ago.
The point of it is to make it so you are virtually waiting in line.

WDW College Program Alumni: Spring Advantage 2012 merchandise & Fall 2013 Space Mountain

Old 10-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #95
seidelhd
Mouseketeer

Thank your for the replies directly to my post. As I stated, we have been successfully using the GAC 1-2 times/year for the last 7 years. I am fully aware that I will need to tell the CM what accommodations will be needed. I was making generalizations about my daughter only for my above post.

We have loved the commitment that Disney has made to providing magical vacations and memories to those with disabilities in general and my daughter (and the rest of my family) specifically. I do feel that they still have that commitment.

However, the fact that call center cast members do not have accurate information on the new system, but are speaking as if what they are saying is gospel is unacceptable. It makes no difference if they have been to the parks or not. With this specifically, Disney has done a horrible job educating and training their front-line people. The outgoing message needed to be consistent, even if it was "we dont have specific information about this important plan that we are implementing in 10 days and may fully ruin your $3000 vacation."

The inconsistent information given and radio silence over the last 10 days, however, has just increased the FUD. In this day/age of 24 hour, instantaneous news and the internet, Disney should have planned better or responded more quickly (and not with the useless letter from Meg Crofton).

My biggest concern actually is going to be the amount of time spent at Guest Services to even get the DAC. In the past it was very simple. From what I have been reading (again FUD b/c it has not rolled out yet), I suspect that will no longer be the case. Since we will be on the Dream from 10/10 - 10/13, we won't know what has happened over the previous 4 days until we are on our way to WDW from Port Canaveral.

Last edited by seidelhd; 10-03-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #96
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

I'm saddened by this change (though I understand why they do it).

I'm in an odd situation. I have various health issues and have used a GAC for quite a few years. I have heart and lung problems, as well as a walking and standing disability. I can get through life on a day to day basis, but for anything involved, like Disney, it's pretty rough.
My husband also has issues. He smashed both feet years ago in an accident and has lingering problems and he needs a new hip. What a pair we make.

My husband and I like to go over for a few hours on the weekends maybe a couple times a month. The gac would allow us to ride a few rides before I (or he) was kaput. Then we would head home. One of the benefits of living local and having an AP I guess.

Now with the new policy I just don't see that happening. It will be a waste going since most of the time we'll be sitting on a bench, in the heat, waiting. We aren't going to walk around or criss cross back and forth to rides because that will just do us in sooner. I can't use a wheelchair because he can't push me nor me him. We also are not going to plunk down $50 each to rent a scooter because we want a little Disney magic for a few hours on a Saturday afternoon.

Unfortunately I guess we fall through the cracks on this one.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #97
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
I'm saddened by this change (though I understand why they do it).

I'm in an odd situation. I have various health issues and have used a GAC for quite a few years. I have heart and lung problems, as well as a walking and standing disability. I can get through life on a day to day basis, but for anything involved, like Disney, it's pretty rough.
My husband also has issues. He smashed both feet years ago in an accident and has lingering problems and he needs a new hip. What a pair we make.

My husband and I like to go over for a few hours on the weekends maybe a couple times a month. The gac would allow us to ride a few rides before I (or he) was kaput. Then we would head home. One of the benefits of living local and having an AP I guess.

Now with the new policy I just don't see that happening. It will be a waste going since most of the time we'll be sitting on a bench, in the heat, waiting. We aren't going to walk around or criss cross back and forth to rides because that will just do us in sooner. I can't use a wheelchair because he can't push me nor me him. We also are not going to plunk down $50 each to rent a scooter because we want a little Disney magic for a few hours on a Saturday afternoon.

Unfortunately I guess we fall through the cracks on this one.
Would you be able to schedule FP+? for those few attractions you wanted to go to?

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 10-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #98
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
Would you be able to schedule FP+? for those few attractions you wanted to go to?
Don't you need to have the magic band for that?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #99
mrzrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi Phorse

It is the general thought, that once FP+ is fully implemented, AP holders will be able to use FP+.

Some AP holders have actually booked weekend resorts stays and gotten their MBs. After their trip is over, apparrently some have been able to continue to schedule FP+ into November.

As for the ECV or Scooter, You can probably find one on Craigslist. Then you and DH can take turns using it. (Of course haters will hate and think you are faking when they see you switch.)
Old 10-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #100
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Last rumour I heard is that an attempt at a full roll-out of FP+ is being targeted for some time in late November so not too far away. That doesn't help you in the short time between now and then but at least in the near future that'll be an option.

Didn't I read that all AP holders are being mailed magic bands? Maybe you have to register it with MDE to get it? I haven't been paying much attention to MDE and FP+ stuff since it's subject to a lot of change before my next trip and I don't want to overwhelm myself. If nothing else, I'd get the AP registered in MDE and see if it gives the option. Some people are able to book them though I can't seem to find any info about patterns behind who can and who can't.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 10-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #101
mrzrich
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to add, that I know I sound like a broken record, but I REALLY wish they had waited to make this change until after FP+ was fully implemented. It would have eased a lot of anxiety for many of us.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #102
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzrich View Post
Just wanted to add, that I know I sound like a broken record, but I REALLY wish they had waited to make this change until after FP+ was fully implemented. It would have eased a lot of anxiety for many of us.
I just need to ask because I having a hard time understanding why waiting will help people. Their not turning back from fast pass plus their going full steam ahead. So what vendor to Disney would it be to wait if they delay either people will panic. That their something wrong if they delay both. Fast pass plus is basically implemented already jus waiting for a few more resorts to come online. So could you please tell me why waiting for fast pass plus that you make reservation before you get to Disney will help a system that will be done while your at the park.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #103
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Until FP+ is implemented for offsite AP holders, could you take this time to check out a bunch of the less popular attractions? We've found that we enjoy many of the non-headliners/attractions that rarely have any wait just as much if not more in some cases than the headliners. Open yourselves up to more things around the parks. You'll be back again once you have FP+. Also, if you head to the parks significantly earlier or you wait until late at night then you'll find that wait times are drastically lower and you might not need any kind of accommodation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
I just need to ask because I having a hard time understanding why waiting will help people. Their not turning back from fast pass plus their going full steam ahead. So what vendor to Disney would it be to wait if they delay either people will panic. That their something wrong if they delay both. Fast pass plus is basically implemented already jus waiting for a few more resorts to come online. So could you please tell me why waiting for fast pass plus that you make reservation before you get to Disney will help a system that will be done while your at the park.
In the past with a GAC she was able to use an alternate entrance to avoid backtracking involved with collecting FPs. This does not seem to be an option with the new DAS. With FP+ she would be able to book her attractions so no need for excess walking or waiting around on a DAS after shlepping over to an attraction to get one.

FP+ is NOT implemented for offsite guests. As a local, she's an offsite guest. With the implementation of the new DAS she's losing her current method of being able to get onto a mere few attractions per park visit but the new method that will most likely work for her (FP+) won't be in effect until a later date making many of the attractions unattainable for her. I agree that it would have been nice if FP+ was fully rolled out before this change. It's not though so we're all trying to work together to figure out how to make it work.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #104
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It would help, because FP+ will work for many to avoid even needing the DAS pass, but there are a lot that this wouldn't help. But given that, it would help the transition ease through a bit better.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #105
mrzrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:

For my family, having the ability to schedule a few FP+ would allow us to rehearse the day with our son. Our son does well on a schedule. When the schedule is deviated from, we has screaming, kicking, jumping, flapping.

First Rockin Roller Coaster, then TOT, then Ice Cream. For at least 5 years this has been his DHS schedule. With the old GAC we were able to rehearse his schedule.

When FP + is fully implemented, we will be able to rehearse this schedule.

At the present time we can not rehearse a schedule because we are going in Mid October, our resort does not have FP+ and we can not change resorts.

If the DAS means coming back for TOT in an hour, we may have a problem. I am hoping for the best, but I still wish we qualified for FP +.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: