Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #76
mmbl
DIS Veteran

Can anyone explain how this will work with FP+? I don't mind getting the FP+ but my problem is 'running' or making it timely on occasion. I have arthritis and a dystrophic hip which occasionally 'goes out' and then I hobble missing the time window. That's why I first got a GAC because sometimes I could make the FP time window and sometimes I couldn't. Also, how will this work if with FP+ we can get 3 FP, but I assume we can get a DA card/return time for all attractions so we don't have to run or stand hunched over in line? THIS is TOO CONFUSING! And even though ADA doesn't require a doctor statement, I carry a notarized one because the issues aren't always visible- but when they are acting up, I look like a crooked, crippled old lady : (
Old 10-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #77
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
Unfortunately I am often in the parks alone so will have no runner. This will mean I need to use more of my power just to go get the times, hope they coordinate with the interpreted schedule and pray I don't run out of battery before the day is over.
I cannot guarantee anything in Florida, but I can tell you here that I have asked for a Return Pass at Radiator Spring Racers (the one that works like the DAS system will) that works around an interpreted event. Like you, I am often in the parks solo, so I have to wheel myself around to get these passes.

They have always worked with me when I say that my park touring is restricted by the Interpreters Schedule. I usually go to Racers before an interpreted event on that side of the park, and if the return time they are giving out will not work, I just explain I need to be at a certain show because that is the only time all week it is interpreted, and can I please have a time for after that show would end.

I have never had a problem. They may not let you on immediately if it is an E-ticket ride, but asking to go a later is usually not a problem. I just tell them that I/my group has multiple disabilities within it, so we need to work together to pull it off.

I have also discovered they pretty much give me whatever I want if I am signing while speaking. Not all attractions people know what I mean when I say "I am restricted by the interpreters schedule" but they do know what I mean when I am signing when I say it.

Sorry, long answer, but short version is that at least in Disneyland, I have never had a problem with them working Return Times around the interpreter schedule, especially if you know what you are asking for (i.e. what time you would be able to enter the ride).

Also something they MAY do (this is speculation), but if they are handing out DAS passes for shows like FOTLK or other interpreted shows, you may be able to get a DAS card Return Time for the show you MUST attend (ask them in the morning, even if the interpreted show is in the afternoon - they may be able to use the new system to help with that).

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #78
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
While in the past the strollertag went hand-in-hand with a GAC (you had to have the GAC with the stroller tag), my understanding is the DAS will NOT be issued for the stroller tag. The stroller tag will stand on it's own. So the fact that you also will have a DAS should not be construed to be directly related to the stroller tag but for the other needs.

Enjoy your vacation!
Yes.
That is correct from everything I have read/been told.
Children whose only need is mobility/ to have the stroller in line will just get the stroller tag.
Children who have additional needs that are not met by having the stroller in line would get a stroller and a GAC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
For my DD it's the alternate waiting area that made the show possible. I don't see how the DAS as described (return time means nothing to us since we generally time it so that we're in the next show just by walking in the regular queue so this is the exact type of scenario we typically use DD's GAC for) will put us in the same place as when using the GAC. My DD can not handle those unstructured waiting areas where everybody is in one big mob being told to crowd forward. There aren't enough of us to create a barrier around her so waiting in the wheelchair waiting area was the only way to wait while providing her the space she needs.
We have had the same experience at some of those attractions.....
The wait is for the event show.

My family will be using those waiting areas at any rate because DD uses a wheelchair. But, the extra space was also helpful for her invisible needs, the same as for your DD.

It has not been confirmed whether all attractions will have DAS. It's possible that some of those with fairly consistent short waits may not be included in DAS or may only be included during busy times. If they don't use DAS for those, I don't know what the mechanism will be for people with invisible needs to get access to those areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
It sounds like your DD has multiple needs, the wheelchair being only one of those. Therefore, you will want to speak to Guest Relations regarding her other needs and whether a DAS is appropriate.

Be prepared to clearly explain ALL her needs. This may or may not require more discussion than in the past, depends on how quickly such interactions occurred previously. I know some posters say "I just showed my old GAC and got a new one." While my own experience has involved discussion each time. If her "invisible" needs aren't all that obvious, I'd definitely expect to be required to explain more detail.
I agree.
Our experience also usually involved some discussion each time, not just showing the old card and them giving a new card.
Quote:
As to being a "wheelchair guest" vs DAS -- I think again that depends on her needs and possibly even the specific attraction. If you think she can handle the standby queue at certain rides, then she's simply a "wheelchair guest" and would follow the accessible entrance instructions. If the standby queue is not appropriate, you'll need to use the DAS. Hopefully CMs will be aware that many people have both mobility issues as well as "invisible" needs, that should be part of the new training.
A lot of people, us included, did not use DD's GAC on each attraction. For those, she was just a "wheelchair guest". I don't think that will work the same with DAS as it did with GACs.

I know that Disney parks have a lot of experience dealing with guests who have both mobility and invisible needs, so I am sure that won't suddenly change when the program changes.
Quote:
My understanding is the DAS guest does not need to be present when the Return Time is put on the card, but must be present when returning to ride. This would allow mom or dad or someone else to get the Return Time noted on the DAS while your DD is busy elsewhere.

Again, presumably CMs will be adequately trained. Only time will tell, and unfortunately for you, your trip is right as this rolls out so you'll have to report back and let the rest of us know whether it works smoothly or not.

Enjoy your vacation!
The rumors are that the person with the DAS does not need to be present to get a Return Time, but does need to be to ride. That rumor is very likely true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post
There isn't going to be more scrutiny...they are going to ask what your needs are and take it from there.

As I mentioned before my daughter has been training the CMs on the new policies and they are trying to anticipate each need that might occur...as you can imagine that is going to be very difficult. I know the first full week of this she is scheduled to assist when situations arise that they don't quite have figured out. I would not expect everything to be 100% smooth sailing the first day to be honest but I do know she has been working on this for about three weeks now in various capacities and the CMs don't want to make it difficult for you either.

I believe that anyone can be the "runner" for the times...it's just when it is time to ride/view/whatever the guest whose name/picture is on the card needs to be participating in the attraction.

Liz
i hope the process rolls out well and guests are patient.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #79
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbl View Post
Can anyone explain how this will work with FP+? I don't mind getting the FP+ but my problem is 'running' or making it timely on occasion. I have arthritis and a dystrophic hip which occasionally 'goes out' and then I hobble missing the time window. That's why I first got a GAC because sometimes I could make the FP time window and sometimes I couldn't. Also, how will this work if with FP+ we can get 3 FP, but I assume we can get a DA card/return time for all attractions so we don't have to run or stand hunched over in line? THIS is TOO CONFUSING! And even though ADA doesn't require a doctor statement, I carry a notarized one because the issues aren't always visible- but when they are acting up, I look like a crooked, crippled old lady : (
There's not information at this time whether all attractions will have Fastpass + or not when it is actually rolled out ( as of October 2013, it is still in testing phase).

We also don't know for sure whether all attractions will have DAS or not.

For those that have both, a DAS holder could choose whether to get a Fastpass/Fastpass + or use the DAS.
Fastpass/Fastpass + would need to be used under the rules for that program! which includes a 'window' of time it needs to be used in.
Rumors are that DAS return times won't expire.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #80
seidelhd
Mouseketeer

We'll be at WDW 10/13 and 10/14 after a 3 day cruise on the Disney Dream. We got our Magic Bands in the mail today, but from what I was told, we have to go to our resort first to get them activated before we can use them. We then will need to go to City Hall @MK to figure out what to do about the DAC. I'm hoping that by that day and time, the expected line and confusion will have thinned out.

We have Fastpass+ already picked for 3 attractions on each of our 2 days and will still get regular FP from what I've read here (i.e. double-dipping). I'm used to using a Touring Plan, but with all these changes happening at once, my head is spinning on how I'm going to handle this. So much for a relaxing, stress-free vacation.

My DD12 is in a wheelchair but has other, global disabilities including being non-verbal and g-tube fed. This profoundly affects how we can tour the park. I have received three different responses from the 3 cast members I spoke with on the phone over the last 36 hours. My questions/concerns were particular to the DAC but more specifically to the fact that she is in a wheelchair, but that is not her only disability. The fact that none of them can give me a consistent answer is frightening at best.

My other concern is the $2500+ that I spent last year on new, still unused, 10 day NE PH tickets for the 5 of us. If Disney is no longer a viable option due to these changes, will they allow me a refund on these unused tickets?

Disney has been so good to us over the last 7 years (going 1-2x/year). I agree that something needed to be done. However, this "plan" is clearly not it. Ugh!

Old 10-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #81
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidelhd View Post
We'll be at WDW 10/13 and 10/14 after a 3 day cruise on the Disney Dream. We got our Magic Bands in the mail today, but from what I was told, we have to go to our resort first to get them activated before we can use them. We then will need to go to City Hall @MK to figure out what to do about the DAC. I'm hoping that by that day and time, the expected line and confusion will have thinned out.

We have Fastpass+ already picked for 3 attractions on each of our 2 days and will still get regular FP from what I've read here (i.e. double-dipping). I'm used to using a Touring Plan, but with all these changes happening at once, my head is spinning on how I'm going to handle this. So much for a relaxing, stress-free vacation.

My DD12 is in a wheelchair but has other, global disabilities including being non-verbal and g-tube fed. This profoundly affects how we can tour the park. I have received three different responses from the 3 cast members I spoke with on the phone over the last 36 hours. My questions/concerns were particular to the DAC but more specifically to the fact that she is in a wheelchair, but that is not her only disability. The fact that none of them can give me a consistent answer is frightening at best.

My other concern is the $2500+ that I spent last year on new, still unused, 10 day NE PH tickets for the 5 of us. If Disney is no longer a viable option due to these changes, will they allow me a refund on these unused tickets?

Disney has been so good to us over the last 7 years (going 1-2x/year). I agree that something needed to be done. However, this "plan" is clearly not it. Ugh!
The people in the call centers are NOT actually at the parks, and generally do not have accurate or helpful information about the way disabilities are handled in the park.

You actually will have a better chance of getting info here. Do you have a concern or question over how the system will work?

I can tell you, as a person with multiple disabilities who is a full-time wheelchair user, I have experienced an equivalent system that has been in place for a ride in DCA for over a year, and it actually works out quite well. I am nervous, but mostly about the actual acquiring of the DAS card... Hope you have a good trip!

Old 10-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #82
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Just back tonight from WDW, and I was experimenting with how using FP+ would work for my son. Pretty well, actually. We never "double=dipped", because 3 popular attractions was about all we could do per day, along with other things that have small lines (we toured parks from about 9-2/3 each day). I doubt many special needs families get much out of the double dipping option.

We rode Spaceship Earth on 2 days using FP+, which kept us off the handicapped entrance. I was able to have him walk in, using a FP+ instead. Also enjoyed the regular entrance to Test Track, same deal, was able to have him walk in with FP+. (I tried this on Midway Mania with less success, forgot about all those stairs on the regular/FP line.)

As sean went thru the FP regular lines, people got impatient and tried to pass him because he is slow. Made me think, "hey, you want people like him on the regular lines, this is what you get" Meanwhile, so what he is slow, you turn a corner and there is still a short line ahead anyway.

Being able to lay out 3 FP+ per day really helped us plan our day, and I was on that AP often, moving up my FP times, or switching from rides that had no real lines. Used it for 3 different meet and greets, too.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #83
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMcDuck View Post
Just back tonight from WDW, and I was experimenting with how using FP+ would work for my son. Pretty well, actually. We never "double=dipped", because 3 popular attractions was about all we could do per day, along with other things that have small lines (we toured parks from about 9-2/3 each day). I doubt many special needs families get much out of the double dipping option.

We rode Spaceship Earth on 2 days using FP+, which kept us off the handicapped entrance. I was able to have him walk in, using a FP+ instead. Also enjoyed the regular entrance to Test Track, same deal, was able to have him walk in with FP+. (I tried this on Midway Mania with less success, forgot about all those stairs on the regular/FP line.)

As sean went thru the FP regular lines, people got impatient and tried to pass him because he is slow. Made me think, "hey, you want people like him on the regular lines, this is what you get" Meanwhile, so what he is slow, you turn a corner and there is still a short line ahead anyway.

Being able to lay out 3 FP+ per day really helped us plan our day, and I was on that AP often, moving up my FP times, or switching from rides that had no real lines. Used it for 3 different meet and greets, too.
Glad to hear it went well! We are a ways out from FP+ here in CA, but it sounds great for us locals - I can reserve my FP time for California Screamin before ever leaving home!

Old 10-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #84
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

I added this to the "suggestions" post (Post #4), but I wanted to add it to the end of the thread, so all those subscribed will get the added info.

If you have a smartphone or tablet, download Disney wait times apps. Rumor is that CMs will be using "My Disney Experience" app for WDW. It is unknown exactly which app will be used for Disneyland, though the names "Disney Parks" (like the one for WDW, but for other Disney Parks) and "Disney Mobile Magic." It cannot hurt to have other wait time apps on your phone, especially as they all have different capabilities (menus, etc).

Apparently you cannot get the ride times for the "official" Disney apps until you are in the park, so you must have your GPS enabled. Having the other wait times apps will give you an idea of what to expect before you even get to the parks. Having this will keep you from going all the way to a ride only to find out it is down, or that the wait time is too long for you. This should help people plan, and take away a little of the unknown from your day.

This will keep people from going all the way across the park only to find that the wait time for the desired is too long to wait. This will let you check for the ride with the wait time that works best for your current schedule and the wait times for the rides/shows surrounding it. If you know you are about to take an hour to eat, then look for a ride you desire with a very long wait time. If you happen to see a "must do" with a short wait time at that moment, then you can snag a Return Pass.

There are several apps out there that are free or low cost. Other than the official Disney ones, the wait times app that I like the best is "MouseWait" - there is one for WDW and one for DL.

This is just one more tool available to help people be able to plan a little better.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:03 AM   #85
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Are they planning to work to make the wait times more accurate? Often the wait times are inflated and so a return time based on an overly high wait time will mean waiting longer than everyone else. There have been some threads lately about how some attractions almost always post a long wait even if it isn't true. For instance, recently someone commented on how Toy Story Mania said it was a 70 min. wait but they were only in line for 25 min.

My son only has about 3 hours tolerance for the parks. I don't want to wait longer than we have to.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #86
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

For right now, while they are still testing Fastpass +, you will be able to get both. Once Fastpass + is totally rolled out, Fastpass will be going away.

A touring plan will still be helpful, even if only to know which park is likely to be busiest.

Quote:

I'm not sure what your questions are, but as was already pointed out, the people in the call center are not actually at the parks.
I'm sure for the DAS roll-out, they probably have a script to use and are not supposed to stray from it. Your question is likely not on the script.

The information in post one of this thread is not complete yet (I have to work on it around my work schedule and my DD had some medical issues this week).
I have some things written up, but need to finalize and add them - hopefully tonight.

For guests with wheelchairs - IF mobility is their only need, they will not need a GAC and will use whatever is listed as the 'mobility entrance' for each attraction.
I have the mobility entrances listed in a post in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board. WDW has a lot of attractions that have Mainstream lines, which means the regular line is wheelchair accessible.
People whose ONLY need is mobility will use those Mainstream lines.

People who have other needs besides mobility/using a wheelchair, will get a DAS.

We don't know yet whether or not all attractions will use DAS. It's possible that some will not because they always have a short wait.

Since the program is new, I would expect some glitches early on and not be concerned about those. Keep checking back here for people's experiences before being concerned about canceling your tickets. Disney honestly wants to get things right and meet the needs of people with disabilities.
Most of the news articles ( and most people) think this new program was just quickly made up in reaction to stories about abuse that have been in the news earlier in 2013.
I can tell you for certain that this new system has been in the works for several years. Disney's one aim was the abuse people heard of, but the bigger aim was to make things more consistent for people with disabilities.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #87
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
... My DD12 is in a wheelchair but has other, global disabilities including being non-verbal and g-tube fed. This profoundly affects how we can tour the park. I have received three different responses from the 3 cast members I spoke with on the phone over the last 36 hours. My questions/concerns were particular to the DAC but more specifically to the fact that she is in a wheelchair, but that is not her only disability. The fact that none of them can give me a consistent answer is frightening at best. ...
As others have said, I wouldn't expect phone CMs to have many DAS answers now or even in the coming weeks. Some have never set foot in WDW, to say nothing of dealing with disabilities there.

I'd suggest that you go to Guest Relations at the park and discuss your daughter's challenges. Rather than stating she "has other, global disabilities including being non-verbal and g-tube fed" you probably should elaborate on how those other disabilities impact her experience in the parks. To someone who doesn't "live" disabilities day-in and day-out, that probably sounds more like "she doesn't talk and can't eat" which on the surface doesn't directly correspond to any accommmodations currently available with GAC and therefore not likely to be construed a DAS accommodation either. If it impacts her ability to be in lines, you'll need to specifically explain that to Guest Relations. Remember, the DAS is only for accommodations related to accessing rides/attractions, it has no bearing on movement around/throughout the park or restaurants or transportation, etc.

If the wheelchair is her only "need" as related to accessing ride lines, she will not need the DAS (nor Return Times) and you may tour using FP/FP+ and accessing the noted mobility entrances.

Enjoy your land/sea vacation! I'm sure it will be magical for your DD!
Old 10-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #88
Splashboat
Always looking for cheap airfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post

If you have a smartphone or tablet, download Disney wait times apps. Rumor is that CMs will be using "My Disney Experience" app for WDW.
Will a tablet work in the parks?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #89
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashboat View Post
Will a tablet work in the parks?
Sure if it's wifi or can be used over the 3G/4g etc network. All a tablet really is is a big smartphone without the phone.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #90
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
If you have a smartphone or tablet, download Disney wait times apps. Rumor is that CMs will be using "My Disney Experience" app for WDW. It is unknown exactly which app will be used for Disneyland, though the names "Disney Parks" (like the one for WDW, but for other Disney Parks) and "Disney Mobile Magic." It cannot hurt to have other wait time apps on your phone, especially as they all have different capabilities (menus, etc).

Apparently you cannot get the ride times for the "official" Disney apps until you are in the park, so you must have your GPS enabled. Having the other wait times apps will give you an idea of what to expect before you even get to the parks. Having this will keep you from going all the way to a ride only to find out it is down, or that the wait time is too long for you. This should help people plan, and take away a little of the unknown from your day.
The first WDW app was Mobile Magic.
It did have wait times available only in the park. If you were out of the park, you could get limited information - sort of a stoplight system with green being "Ride Now" and red something like "extended wait.

For WDW, the newer app is My Disney Experience, which can be personalized send track things like your Dining Reservations.
My Disney Experience for WDW does have current wait times, and you don't have to be in a park to get them. All you need to have is an internet connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six View Post
Are they planning to work to make the wait times more accurate? Often the wait times are inflated and so a return time based on an overly high wait time will mean waiting longer than everyone else. There have been some threads lately about how some attractions almost always post a long wait even if it isn't true. For instance, recently someone commented on how Toy Story Mania said it was a 70 min. wait but they were only in line for 25 min.

My son only has about 3 hours tolerance for the parks. I don't want to wait longer than we have to.
This is a link to an article from 2010 that talked about the systems WDW was using to track wait times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/bu...sney.html?_r=0

That was before Fastpass Plus and was used to try to keep lines moving along.
I have heard they used it to do things like give "Bonus Fastpasses" for attractions that had short waits. For example, people who got a Fastpass for Winnie the Pooh ride, might have gotten a "use now" Fastpass for Mickey's Philharmagic because it had no wait.

They are using it for generating the wait times for My Disney Experience.
It is in their best interest to get the wait times more accurate - people going by an attraction with a posted wait of 70 minutes are less likely to get into that line than if the posted wait is shorter. And, although people in line might be happy to wait 25 minutes when they expected to wait 70, they also come to expect that all waits will be shorter than what is posted.
How accurate the posted wait time is may also depend on whether Fastpass Plus has been installed on that attraction or not. I believe they are setting times more accurately on the Fastpass Plus attractions

Now that WDW has switched to RFID cards, they have some other tools for figuring out where people are and how long they are waiting. I think with those tools, they can post more accurate wait times.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: