Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #61
IndianaMouse
Mouseketeer
 
IndianaMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 101

Has anyone heard how this will affect "child swap" for those can't be transferred or left alone while the rest of the family rides?
DD isn't able to ride any of the rides that require a transfer from a wheelchair but DH and I ride pretty much everything. With the GAC DH would go through the standby or single rider line then when he came off the ride the CM would have me go through the FP line using DDs GAC. We don't mind waiting in lines, we just don't want to have to do the standby line twice for each of those rides.
__________________
IndianaMouse is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #62
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,065

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMouse View Post
Has anyone heard how this will affect "child swap" for those can't be transferred or left alone while the rest of the family rides?
DD isn't able to ride any of the rides that require a transfer from a wheelchair but DH and I ride pretty much everything. With the GAC DH would go through the standby or single rider line then when he came off the ride the CM would have me go through the FP line using DDs GAC. We don't mind waiting in lines, we just don't want to have to do the standby line twice for each of those rides.
With the DAS, it would have your DD picture so I am not sure how either one of you could use it. Could you use the single rider line or get fastpasses?
livndisney is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #63
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,725
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMouse View Post
Has anyone heard how this will affect "child swap" for those can't be transferred or left alone while the rest of the family rides?
DD isn't able to ride any of the rides that require a transfer from a wheelchair but DH and I ride pretty much everything. With the GAC DH would go through the standby or single rider line then when he came off the ride the CM would have me go through the FP line using DDs GAC. We don't mind waiting in lines, we just don't want to have to do the standby line twice for each of those rides.
You won't be able to use the DAS for things your DD is no going to be riding on. So, for those, you will need to either wait in the standby line or get Fastpasses.
If you get Fastpasses, you can get a Fastpass with your DD's park ticket, even if she can't ride.

You will still be able to use rider swap.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #64
IndianaMouse
Mouseketeer
 
IndianaMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 101

To be honest I can only remember 2 of the rides with single rider lines but that's a good suggestion so I guess finding which rides have them will be going on my "to do" list. Has FP been added to all of the rides since the FP+ testing started?


Edited to ask... How does the rider swap work compared to the way we swapped in the past?

Thanks for the responses!
__________________
IndianaMouse is offline  
Old 10-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #65
dreamsofdisney
Still has a little Mickey Dust sprinkled on her desk from her last trip "home"!
 
dreamsofdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central Connecticut...Red Sox territory!
Posts: 540

Hi!

I just wanted to jump in to share that we are heading to WDW on October 10th. DD4 has Autism and mild cerebral palsy, as well as a host of other conditions that don't really affect the need for a GAC/DAS, including being 99% tube fed. We had a GAC on her one previous trip at 2.5yo, but we were also travelling with DS20 who also has Autism, BPD and social anxiety disorder.

We're hoping to have a DAS and a "stroller as wheelchair" tag to give her her "safe spot" in her stroller to wait it out away from the line of people in close proximity , but also due to her coordination, balance, and mobility issues, and quick fatigue.

I'll be sure to report back when we get home - or from the parks if I can manage. I'm nervous about how things will work, but I'm, predicting possibly a shorter day for us with fewer attractions. We'll have to wait and see! I'm trying to be optimistic about it and hope for the best!

Obviously having the GAC in the past helped my kiddos be able to experience the park for more than just an hour or two of meltdowns at a time....but it also helped me. I'm too sensitive to others reactions to us. When my son would meltdown and start flailing out in line, hitting the people around him because he didn't like "that smell" or because "that boy is looking at me" we'd get nasty looks from all around. When we waited in line at IASW and were slowly shuffling along inches from strangers on every side and DS decided he was fascinated by the papery, dry skin on the elderly man in front of him...and bent down to pick it off of his ankle....I was horrified! The GAC was almost never a walk on, FOTL pass for us, as some people suggest. (Maybe it's because we usually went at busy times?) But it did provide us with a shorter wait, which meant less time for DS to melt down. More often than that, it provided us a place to wait for the ride where people saw the pass and knew to hold their judgments. Maybe they were a little more understanding; a little more patient.

Right now I'm worried about having to explain to CMs at every kiosk or attraction that we are NOT just a "stroller as a wheelchair" tag, but that we also have a DAS due to her other issues (primarily, Autism related.) I'm guessing they're going to be nervous about the whole thing since they'll have just had training, and I heard that some head-honchos will be visiting the parks on our first park day (10/11) to see how things are working out.
__________________


DH45 ME41 DS20 DD4

1984 off site 1985 off site 6/1999 off site 3/2000 All-Star Movies 5/2001 All-Star Movies 4/2002 All-Star Movies 4/2003 All-Star Movies 2/2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge 10/2005 Honeymoon in Playa del Carmen, Mexico during Hurricane Wilma! 7/2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge 4/2011 Animal Kingdom Villas 10/2013 Animal Kingdom Villas


Last edited by dreamsofdisney; 10-02-2013 at 07:40 AM.
dreamsofdisney is offline  
Old 10-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #66
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?
 
buffettgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: GreatWoods parking lot.
Posts: 3,121

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMouse View Post
To be honest I can only remember 2 of the rides with single rider lines but that's a good suggestion so I guess finding which rides have them will be going on my "to do" list. Has FP been added to all of the rides since the FP+ testing started?


Edited to ask... How does the rider swap work compared to the way we swapped in the past?

Thanks for the responses!
Everything you want to know about Rider Swap https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu.../rider-switch/
buffettgirl is offline  
Old 10-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #67
SchneiderFam
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 47

Quote:
Edited to ask... How does the rider swap work compared to the way we swapped in the past?
Our experience with this is mostly at Disneyland, but typically, it's similar to what you described except that the first ride is under normal waiting conditions, ie, a standby line or a Fastpass. You ask a cast member at the front of the line for a rider swap, the first person goes on the ride and then the second person goes on, typically through the FP line. You are allowed to bring someone with you with the ride swap pass. So depending on your traveling party, there might be someone who gets to ride an extra time.
SchneiderFam is offline  
Old 10-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #68
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,903
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsofdisney View Post
...Right now I'm worried about having to explain to CMs at every kiosk or attraction that we are NOT just a "stroller as a wheelchair" tag, but that we also have a DAS due to her other issues (primarily, Autism related.) ...
While in the past the strollertag went hand-in-hand with a GAC (you had to have the GAC with the stroller tag), my understanding is the DAS will NOT be issued for the stroller tag. The stroller tag will stand on it's own. So the fact that you also will have a DAS should not be construed to be directly related to the stroller tag but for the other needs.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is online now  
Old 10-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #69
IndianaMouse
Mouseketeer
 
IndianaMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
Everything you want to know about Rider Swap https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu.../rider-switch/
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchneiderFam View Post
Our experience with this is mostly at Disneyland, but typically, it's similar to what you described except that the first ride is under normal waiting conditions, ie, a standby line or a Fastpass. You ask a cast member at the front of the line for a rider swap, the first person goes on the ride and then the second person goes on, typically through the FP line. You are allowed to bring someone with you with the ride swap pass. So depending on your traveling party, there might be someone who gets to ride an extra time.
Thanks so much. It takes a lot of extra planning for our trips with DD and information like this can really make an impact on the short amount of time that we get to spend in the parks every day.
__________________
IndianaMouse is offline  
Old 10-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #70
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran
 
clanmcculloch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DisneyBuggs View Post
The GAC has allowed us to be seated in the handicapped section of shows and the Philharmagic. Any idea how the new DAS would work for that?
If you are issued a DAS, it would put you in the same place as when you were using the GAC.

If you are not using DAS, what was the accommodation you got with the GAC?
Was it the waiting space at Philharmagic that you needed or what was it about the handicapped section of shows that you needed?
For my DD it's the alternate waiting area that made the show possible. I don't see how the DAS as described (return time means nothing to us since we generally time it so that we're in the next show just by walking in the regular queue so this is the exact type of scenario we typically use DD's GAC for) will put us in the same place as when using the GAC. My DD can not handle those unstructured waiting areas where everybody is in one big mob being told to crowd forward. There aren't enough of us to create a barrier around her so waiting in the wheelchair waiting area was the only way to wait while providing her the space she needs.
__________________
Me DH DD(16) DD(14) DSD(32) DSSil (41) DGD (newborn) DSD(30) DGS(4)




Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010


February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline  
Old 10-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #71
OneMoreTry


DIS Veteran
 
OneMoreTry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The sticks
Posts: 2,621

We are going to be at WDW MK on the 9th. I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Our DD has wheelchair and other issues requiring the card / waiting in line.

I have several question for those who have been so informative in this thread so far.

We have never had problems getting a GAC. (It's pretty obvious on first sight that our daughter has disability.) Is there going to be more scrutiny for issuing the DAS cards?

Will she be considered a "wheelchair" guest? Or will DAS card needs be taken into account?

Will the disabled guest need to be present to obtain the Return Time or just present when we return? In other words, can we send a runner to get the time? Will all the CM's at all attractions be informed of a standard policy for this?

***

I hope the cast members have clear guidance and rules to follow for each ride -- I think that will make it much less stressful for them and guests.

Just a note:
I think that some guests may see DAS card holders coming back at their return time and think they are getting "front of the line" access -- if they don't understand the "return time" system.

Also -- the return time pass was used at Space Mountain at WDW in the past -- a couple years ago. It worked well for us.
OneMoreTry is offline  
Old 10-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #72
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,903
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTry View Post
... Our DD has wheelchair and other issues requiring the card / waiting in line. ...
It sounds like your DD has multiple needs, the wheelchair being only one of those. Therefore, you will want to speak to Guest Relations regarding her other needs and whether a DAS is appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTry View Post
... We have never had problems getting a GAC. (It's pretty obvious on first sight that our daughter has disability.) Is there going to be more scrutiny for issuing the DAS cards? ...
Be prepared to clearly explain ALL her needs. This may or may not require more discussion than in the past, depends on how quickly such interactions occurred previously. I know some posters say "I just showed my old GAC and got a new one." While my own experience has involved discussion each time. If her "invisible" needs aren't all that obvious, I'd definitely expect to be required to explain more detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTry View Post
... Will she be considered a "wheelchair" guest? Or will DAS card needs be taken into account? ...
As to being a "wheelchair guest" vs DAS -- I think again that depends on her needs and possibly even the specific attraction. If you think she can handle the standby queue at certain rides, then she's simply a "wheelchair guest" and would follow the accessible entrance instructions. If the standby queue is not appropriate, you'll need to use the DAS. Hopefully CMs will be aware that many people have both mobility issues as well as "invisible" needs, that should be part of the new training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTry View Post
... Will the disabled guest need to be present to obtain the Return Time or just present when we return? In other words, can we send a runner to get the time? ...
My understanding is the DAS guest does not need to be present when the Return Time is put on the card, but must be present when returning to ride. This would allow mom or dad or someone else to get the Return Time noted on the DAS while your DD is busy elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTry View Post
... Will all the CM's at all attractions be informed of a standard policy for this? ...
... I hope the cast members have clear guidance and rules to follow for each ride -- I think that will make it much less stressful for them and guests. ..
Again, presumably CMs will be adequately trained. Only time will tell, and unfortunately for you, your trip is right as this rolls out so you'll have to report back and let the rest of us know whether it works smoothly or not.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is online now  
Old 10-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #73
poohnpigletCA
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 520

The last time we where at Disney world our daughter was 5. We used a stroller as a wheelchair and a GAC. I spoke with the CM my hubby stood with daughter to the side and she came up to the counter at the end.

On this trip she will be 9 although she looks to be about 12. I have read in other threads where the CM will question the child directly. For example at a sit down restaurant a CM might directly question a child as to their age before allowing the child to order off of the children's menu.

We have never sat down with our daughter and told her she has Autism. She knows she had aids and tutors when other children at school did not. She knows her brain functions differently. When she had a tutor assist with peer play interactions we learned very quickly that and Autism diagnosis can be very stigmatizing. I guess I am fearful of explaining her needs and then her being directly questioned about having Autism. I know we do not need to give diagnosis, but needs. I am just confused and thinking it would be better to not even get her a DAS, but then I know sensory wise in the lines she will be miserable.

As she is older this trip will she have to explain what her needs are in order to get a DAS?
poohnpigletCA is offline  
Old 10-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #74
Traveliz
DIS Veteran
 
Traveliz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 8,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTry View Post
We are going to be at WDW MK on the 9th. I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Our DD has wheelchair and other issues requiring the card / waiting in line.

I have several question for those who have been so informative in this thread so far.

We have never had problems getting a GAC. (It's pretty obvious on first sight that our daughter has disability.) Is there going to be more scrutiny for issuing the DAS cards?

Will she be considered a "wheelchair" guest? Or will DAS card needs be taken into account?

Will the disabled guest need to be present to obtain the Return Time or just present when we return? In other words, can we send a runner to get the time? Will all the CM's at all attractions be informed of a standard policy for this?

***

I hope the cast members have clear guidance and rules to follow for each ride -- I think that will make it much less stressful for them and guests.

Just a note:
I think that some guests may see DAS card holders coming back at their return time and think they are getting "front of the line" access -- if they don't understand the "return time" system.

Also -- the return time pass was used at Space Mountain at WDW in the past -- a couple years ago. It worked well for us.
There isn't going to be more scrutiny...they are going to ask what your needs are and take it from there.

As I mentioned before my daughter has been training the CMs on the new policies and they are trying to anticipate each need that might occur...as you can imagine that is going to be very difficult. I know the first full week of this she is scheduled to assist when situations arise that they don't quite have figured out. I would not expect everything to be 100% smooth sailing the first day to be honest but I do know she has been working on this for about three weeks now in various capacities and the CMs don't want to make it difficult for you either.

I believe that anyone can be the "runner" for the times...it's just when it is time to ride/view/whatever the guest whose name/picture is on the card needs to be participating in the attraction.

Liz
Traveliz is offline  
Old 10-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #75
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO
 
Talking Hands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pooh's Thoughtful Place AKA SE Fla
Posts: 10,155

Unfortunately I am often in the parks alone so will have no runner. This will mean I need to use more of my power just to go get the times, hope they coordinate with the interpreted schedule and pray I don't run out of battery before the day is over.
__________________

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: