Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #46
KPeveler
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 6 miles from Disneyland
Posts: 4,024
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
I guess we'll see.
It's possible the source may have been mistaken.
I think though since there are actually very few attractions at WDW that are not considere Mainstream, it may not matter much.
Those cards are attraction specific, and given out by the attraction CMs so there would be no way to know who is holding one and for which attractions.

I have not heard anything about Disneyland - that may be different because there are so many more attractions that have handicapped entrances.
I have not heard anything about this at all, but my guess is in Disneyland that they will continue to have a regular "stand by" wheelchair line. That is because nearly every queue in DL is NOT wheelchair accessible. The simply do not have the man power to be writing passes at every ride in the park, and to write different ones than wheelchairs than the ones for DAS people, and what about both? Can I get a bunch of different times as a wheelchair user, but also get a DAS return time?

Honestly, I had not heard anything about non-wheelchair accessible attractions doing anything different. But it will be bedlam if those Return Times are not linked to a specific person - how will that be any different than the GAC was, with people passing things around. So basically I will go and get a Return Card from all the different attractions that are not mainstreamed and then give them out to friends as I wish, or maybe sell them to able bodied people if that makes them wait less...

Of course I will not actually do that, but I can see it happening.

Given that there are about 5 attractions that are actually mainstreamed in DL, I do not see this system working here. I will ask around and see what I can find out.
__________________
~Katy~

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #47
KPeveler
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 6 miles from Disneyland
Posts: 4,024
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyhzoo View Post
Will Stroller as a wheelchair still be an option?

My dd has Autism and her stroller is her safe place.

Thanks!
Yes, it will. They will still be giving out a tag for the stroller like they always did.
__________________
~Katy~

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #48
staceyhzoo
Mouseketeer
 
staceyhzoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
Yes, it will. They will still be giving out a tag for the stroller like they always did.
Thank you!! I was hopeful!
__________________
staceyhzoo is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #49
GoinPlaces63
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 147

I'm completely unfamiliar with all of this. However my husband has expressive aphasia and has limited use of his right arm AND cannot stand for long periods. My Dad has mobility issues. We are all going to WDW on the 14th... What can we expect?
GoinPlaces63 is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #50
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay1
If local AP holders need to be photographed every day, then let's hope Disney sets up a third Guest Relations in the rear of each park. That should ease up the lines that will certainly develop (I remember when USF/IOA had photos on APs), and allow all guests to participate in RD.
I would imagine that the photograph would only need to be taken once and only retaken if there is a change in appearance. They would then have it on file for reprints.
cmwade77 is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #51
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Massachusetts Strong!
Posts: 8,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinPlaces63 View Post
I'm completely unfamiliar with all of this. However my husband has expressive aphasia and has limited use of his right arm AND cannot stand for long periods. My Dad has mobility issues. We are all going to WDW on the 14th... What can we expect?
Disney's standard response for mobility/standing issues is to use a wheelchair or ECV. I don't see how that has changed at all?
__________________
July '13 - CBR Aug '14 - PC
Mar '13 - PC Aug '12 - PC (Best Trip Ever!)
Aug '10 - PC June '08 - ASMo (school trip)
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #52
Kay1
Check out Ricki's hidden Mickey!
The only tricky part is judging when the actual boiling begins
 
Kay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,989

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
I would imagine that the photograph would only need to be taken once and only retaken if there is a change in appearance. They would then have it on file for reprints.
You're probably right. It would make sense.

__________________
Kay1 is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #53
Luv2Camp
DIS Veteran
 
Luv2Camp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
Disney's standard response for mobility/standing issues is to use a wheelchair or ECV. I don't see how that has changed at all?
I'd like to clarify this as well. I'll be in a wheelchair and wasn't planning on getting a GAC since my disability is visible. I will not need a DAS for the same reason. Correct?

Thank you!
__________________
Luv2Camp is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #54
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,094
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinPlaces63 View Post
I'm completely unfamiliar with all of this. However my husband has expressive aphasia and has limited use of his right arm AND cannot stand for long periods. My Dad has mobility issues. We are all going to WDW on the 14th... What can we expect?
My DD has expressive aphasia. I'm not certain how the expressive aphasia impacts ability to access rides, unless he's riding something solo and would not be able to communicate adequately. But I don't know what accommodations could be made for that other than he ride with someone who can speak for him if needed.

Regarding the arm -- again it isn't likely to impact his ability to access rides/attractions, and would simply be a safety concern if he can't brace himself properly. You might want to check-out the FAQ sticky for that concern; if he can't properly brace himself it would be dangerous to ride. But I'm honestly not thinking that would impact your visit. If he had full use of his legs, torso and the other arm, I would think he can compensate bracing himself.

For your husband and standing -- WDW's recommendation will be to rent a wheelchair or ECV. Maybe a "rollator" will help (a walker with a seat)? He can sit when needed and push when walking. The same will be recommended for your dad's mobility issues.

My understanding is the new DAS will not be issued for those with simply mobility-related issues.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #55
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,094
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Camp View Post
I'd like to clarify this as well. I'll be in a wheelchair and wasn't planning on getting a GAC since my disability is visible. I will not need a DAS for the same reason. Correct?

Thank you!
That's been my understanding of the new process as well.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #56
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,824
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
I have not heard anything about this at all, but my guess is in Disneyland that they will continue to have a regular "stand by" wheelchair line. That is because nearly every queue in DL is NOT wheelchair accessible. The simply do not have the man power to be writing passes at every ride in the park, and to write different ones than wheelchairs than the ones for DAS people, and what about both? Can I get a bunch of different times as a wheelchair user, but also get a DAS return time?

Honestly, I had not heard anything about non-wheelchair accessible attractions doing anything different. But it will be bedlam if those Return Times are not linked to a specific person - how will that be any different than the GAC was, with people passing things around. So basically I will go and get a Return Card from all the different attractions that are not mainstreamed and then give them out to friends as I wish, or maybe sell them to able bodied people if that makes them wait less...

Of course I will not actually do that, but I can see it happening.

Given that there are about 5 attractions that are actually mainstreamed in DL, I do not see this system working here. I will ask around and see what I can find out.
That is one issue either opening the thread up before I was finished with post one. And, also why I made 2 different threads. The information I posted was about WDW only.

There are some things that have to be handled differently in Florida than California simply because of what is accessible?
My response to the question left out some things and had information that should have been labeled as RUMOR, PROBABLY TRUE.

The attractions that are not Mainstreamed have to have a way to let guests with DAS return times come in. If everyone is just waiting in the alternate exit, people with DAS who have return times won't be able to get in when their time comes.
It's pretty well confirmed is that some attractions that do NOT have Mainstream lines will have return passes handed out at attractions for guests who do not have a DAS and have a visible need.

At WDW, it will PROBABLY be all attractions that are not mainstream because there are few of them. Many that people think are not Mainstream actually are.

RUMOR, PROBABLY TRUE:
WDW guests with DAS will be able to get a return pass ticket at those attractions that will not 'count' as an active DAS Return Time. It's not their fault that the line is not accessible to them.
RUMOR, PROBABLY TRUE:
WDW guests without DAS will probably get a return time pass at specific attractions send still be able to get return time passes at other attractions that are handing them out. Since there are few attractions at WDW that do not have Mainstream lines, this won't occur that much.

Doing that will keep the access point clear so people can actually get in at close to their return time.

My educated guess (just a guess) is that those return time passes will have an expiration time.

DL is a completely different story, but they will also need to figure out a way to get DAS holders in close to their return time, which will probably include some variation of return time tickets for guests without DAS at non-accessible lines. It would be best to keep DL out of this thread because DL has a lot less ways to deal with it than WDW does at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Camp View Post
I'd like to clarify this as well. I'll be in a wheelchair and wasn't planning on getting a GAC since my disability is visible. I will not need a DAS for the same reason. Correct?

Thank you!
that is correct.
Guests whose only needs are mobility related will not get a DAS card because their disability is apparent to CMs.

This was actually how GAC operated at first in both parks. I know from talking to Guest Relations CMs at WDW, that people with only mobility needs who came to a Guest Relations and requested a GAC were usually given a stamp that said basically, "may use wheelchair entrances."
That stamp was meant for guests with INVISIBLE needs to use that line. I know that after lines were mainstreamed, people often expected to come into the exit of attractions at WDW because that was how they did it before.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #57
Luv2Camp
DIS Veteran
 
Luv2Camp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 710

Thank you for the responses!
__________________
Luv2Camp is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #58
Nixie
DIS Veteran
 
Nixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 532

What about people who have "invisible" mobility related needs? My daughter has cerebral palsy, but is mobile. Her coordination and balance are affected. She does not do well on those moving sidewalks. Last trip we literally had to hold her up on those, but this time the adults are outnumbered by the kiddos, so I am not sure we will have enough hands available. My nightmares consist of trying to keep her from falling and get 3 other kids on rides like HM and Peter Pan. What do we do for her?? We don't need a DAS return time because waiting in line isn't the issue. We just need those conveyor belt rides slowed or stopped (I know Peter Pan can't be right now).
__________________
DH: 31 , Me: 33 , DD:12 , DS: 11 , DS 5 DD: 3

Nixie is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #59
Traveliz
DIS Veteran
 
Traveliz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 8,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
What about people who have "invisible" mobility related needs? My daughter has cerebral palsy, but is mobile. Her coordination and balance are affected. She does not do well on those moving sidewalks. Last trip we literally had to hold her up on those, but this time the adults are outnumbered by the kiddos, so I am not sure we will have enough hands available. My nightmares consist of trying to keep her from falling and get 3 other kids on rides like HM and Peter Pan. What do we do for her?? We don't need a DAS return time because waiting in line isn't the issue. We just need those conveyor belt rides slowed or stopped (I know Peter Pan can't be right now).
I am not sure if you need the card but I do know that this is all really going to be ok. My daughter is training CMs on the entire process and is going to liason between guests and attractions the first week. I know she said that the guest should start at Guest Services where the first question will be what is it that you need to make the attractions/shows/ etc doable (not exact wording) and then they will go from there.

Liz
Traveliz is online now  
Old 10-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #60
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,824
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post
I am not sure if you need the card but I do know that this is all really going to be ok. My daughter is training CMs on the entire process and is going to liason between guests and attractions the first week. I know she said that the guest should start at Guest Services where the first question will be what is it that you need to make the attractions/shows/ etc doable (not exact wording) and then they will go from there.

Liz
Thank you for that , Traveliz.
I think in the end, it will actually work out well for most people.
Yes, there will be a learning curve (for guests and CMs) , but in the end it should be more consistent so guests have a better idea of what will happen when they approach an attraction.

I agree it would be best to discuss with Guest Relations.
It sounds like these things might fit under what they are calling "attraction based procedures and accommodations".
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 10-01-2013 at 08:07 PM.
SueM in MN is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: