DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericstac View Post
I'm sure I'm not the first but the more I read the more I get confused. lol

I got interested in DVC during a DW trip in 2010 from one of the DVC booths. Passed on it because I like flexibility in where and when I go. The following year at Disney again, got a little deeper into it, almost signed, but then reading online read the resellers market is where to go.. never bought thought, quit reading.

Fast forward to this Xmas trip and looking at DVC again because it is obvious we LOVE Disney and go nearly every year.

But, everytime I open a new thread I get more confused.

How exactly does DVC work?
The way I understand it is I buy a package of 100pts at Bay Lake Villas, Contemporary, for $10,000.00. just a number.
So I pay $10,000.00
then I pay like $5.00 per point every year? and every year I get 100 points?
and they are only good for that year unless I bank them to use the following year?
And then I can also rent points to add to my points at $11.00 a point to cover the vacation?

and whats it matter on the home resort? it sounds like you can use points whereever you want.

too many questions I know. hopefully I wont be banned from all the questions. more to follow I'm sure..

Help the clueless. please.

maybe if I say what I think we want.. we love the contemporary (but have never been elsewhere) and we usually go for 7-10 days during Christmas each year.
Realize that any math calculations you do are likely to be the best scenario possible and all variables could rob value. Also the psychology of timeshares is MORE important than the math and this is never more true than DVC IMO. In general I'd say that DVC makes sense only for those looking to stay at DVC only, who value staying on property enough to pay more for it and who would stay in Moderates or above. It's roughly break even comparing moderate to a studio or 2 hotel rooms to a 2 BR. That's where the psychology and choices come in, most people don't stay with the studio. The other issue that many fall down on is they don't establish a comparison to off property timeshare options and assume they only will be happy with on property. Another mistake people often make at this point is they assume they should buy retail because they have not fully educated themselves and gotten comfortable with resale options. Still another is they overbuy home resorts. I'd only buy retail for something you can't get resale or where the savings is not significant. Granted for 100 points the difference is far less.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: