Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
halfmonkey
Mouseketeer

Haunted Mansion too scary?

We're going to be DLR on Sunday and Monday and with the Halloween decorations up, I was hoping to get some feedback on whether the Haunted Mansion would be too scary for a 6 y/o. I think the last time I went on the Haunted Mansion ride, I was a little kid and that was many moons ago so I can't recall. Keep in mind, I like watching horror movies and zombies movies and such so I would be scared but the mind of a 6 y/o is very different. Do you recommend I take him or hold off?
halfmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmonkey View Post
We're going to be DLR on Sunday and Monday and with the Halloween decorations up, I was hoping to get some feedback on whether the Haunted Mansion would be too scary for a 6 y/o. I think the last time I went on the Haunted Mansion ride, I was a little kid and that was many moons ago so I can't recall. Keep in mind, I like watching horror movies and zombies movies and such so I would be scared but the mind of a 6 y/o is very different. Do you recommend I take him or hold off?
The version that is up now, the Nightmare Before Christmas version, is markedly LESS scary than the regular version that's open for the rest of the year. It's a lot more bright (think dayglo blacklight characters), the music is more upbeat...

Click here and watch it in YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvsxaX6TpTY
sonnyjane is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

I think it's less scary as the HMH version than the original.....my DS5 and DS4 ride it without issue. We cover their ears in the stretching room (first part) because people tend to scream at the end...and the lights go off for a bit. My DS4 is kinda a chicken and he does ok. He's very quiet, taking everything in during the ride. They always enjoy the gingerbread house too. Would it be possible for you to ride it first without your son and see if you'd think he would like it? Or maybe YouTube it to see for yourself, then show him? *edit* <------sonnyjane beat me to it!
crystal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
RunnerMomO
DIS Veteran

My kids were more freaked by the stretching room and if you talk to a CM they can let you skip it.
RunnerMomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
rwhistler92
Mouseketeer

Make sure they understand about The Nightmare Before Christmas- The first time my kids went they had never watched that movie, so they were very confused-
Last time they got it because we watched the movie-
rwhistler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
kailuagirl
DIS Veteran

I think just prepare them for the stretching room and then they are fine. I think the part where it gets dark and Jack laughs and then pops up on the roof is the scary part, so maybe find it on youtube or something and watch it before so can be prepared. That is one of my DD's favorite rides, we have to ride it several times each day while there, ever since she was 2. She loves it!!!!
kailuagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerMomO View Post
My kids were more freaked by the stretching room and if you talk to a CM they can let you skip it.
How? The stretching room is also an elevator that goes down, so you can go under the railroad tracks.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Children take their cues from their parents. If you all go onto the ride thinking its going to be terrifying then the child will pickup on this. OTOH, if you go onto the ride thinking how much fun it will be, the child will also.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Children take their cues from their parents. If you all go onto the ride thinking its going to be terrifying then the child will pickup on this. OTOH, if you go onto the ride thinking how much fun it will be, the child will also.
This is NOT absolute. Children are humans and have their own personalities and ideas of what is scary. Often their ideas are mystifying and you are lucky to find out why one thing triggered panic while another didn't.

If it were absolute DS should have thought HM was super cool but unfortunately he had his own ideas of what dark rooms were all about, and I'm fairly certain he thought there was something wrong with us for wanting to go on a ride where half the adults in the room were screaming their heads off. (Stop screaming in fake terror, folks!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
This is NOT absolute. Children are humans and have their own personalities and ideas of what is scary.
Agreed - everybody is different. That's why we should give our children every advantage by setting a good example.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #11
michellekcm
Mouseketeer

I think it's different with different kids. My daughter at 3 1/2 was totally fine with Haunted Mansion, but hated Pinocchio and Snow White. She loves the movies, just got scared in the rides.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychrista View Post
How? The stretching room is also an elevator that goes down, so you can go under the railroad tracks.
They can walk you through the exit- but a CM has to walk you through, so you can be stuck waiting awhile for someone to be open to take you. When DD was younger, she couldn't handle the screaming in the dark that happens in the stretching room. Too funny- she had no problem with the drop in ToT, but when people scream in the library she would flip out.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

When DS was about 6 and we were in the stretching room I told him we could never get out. Didn't phase him, but a woman next to me accused me of child abuse. oh puhleeze.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #14
Xenorye
Mouseketeer

I took my daughter through the regular version of HM in February when she was ~3.5 y/o. She LOVED it. Just shows that kids are all different.
Xenorye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #15
lcasa
DIS Veteran

Meanwhile I can't get my 10 year old granddaughter to try it- despite showing her a video ride thru ( Nightmare overlay so gentler) and going thru the book on the HM with her!
For that matter Nightmare scares her too....
lcasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: