Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #226
BellePrincessBelle
Nothing says Thanksgiving like some road kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLIrishChick63 View Post
i actually posted his entire comment, and he ended it with a hashtag of #special so honestly...how else are you going to take it? and as others have said...how can you use the term and NOT be talking about special needs children? if anyone tries to defend him for saying that......
I saw the comment on instagram when it was posted. I enjoy watching the Duggars, but Josh seems to always win the king of the tools award. Clearly & sadly he is just reflecting what he his taught. I much prefer the Bates family. While hold the same religious beliefs, Kelly Bates seems genuinely caring about people.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
BellePrincessBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #227
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce

I am really behind here. What is the meaning of short bus. We have a number of buses that are shorter than the regular ones so I shouldn't say I am behind a short bus???? They are used for a shorter route so they don't need a big bus in that area, so are those kids not suppose to ride in the shorter bus?
Also, what is a hashtag? What is the meaning of it? I wouldn't even know how to use it in a sentence.
Since I don't know the meaning of these words to know if Josh is saying something bad or not.
tigercat
tigercat is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #228
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercat
I am really behind here. What is the meaning of short bus. We have a number of buses that are shorter than the regular ones so I shouldn't say I am behind a short bus???? They are used for a shorter route so they don't need a big bus in that area, so are those kids not suppose to ride in the shorter bus?
Also, what is a hashtag? What is the meaning of it? I wouldn't even know how to use it in a sentence.
Since I don't know the meaning of these words to know if Josh is saying something bad or not.
tigercat
Short bus, as you said, is often for smaller routes. In most areas of the US, special needs children are picked up in shorter buses for school. To say someone rides the "short bus" is offensive.

A hashtag is a symbol used in social media known as a tweet.

Last edited by Southernmiss; 09-20-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #229
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce

So in reality than to say a short bus isn't really bad unless you are thinking of Special Kids. I don't tweet and know nothing at all about that so hashtag doesn't really mean a lot to me.
Thanks for letting me know the meaning of these things.
tigercat
tigercat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #230
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercat View Post
So in reality than to say a short bus isn't really bad unless you are thinking of Special Kids. I don't tweet and know nothing at all about that so hashtag doesn't really mean a lot to me.
tigercat
Given that the quote included the word "special", it was pretty clear that that is the way he was using the term "short bus".
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #231
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

Quote:
tigercat
In reality, the only context which the term "short bus" makes sense, is when referring to the special needs children that ride the short bus to school.

No one, ever, refers to a "short bus," unless they are making a dig about someone. There's no good context for that term.

Well, I guess it's possible the Josh Duggar found a context for that term that wasn't derogatory. Anything is possible...
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #232
deedeetoo
DIS Veteran

I have never heard that the term short bus referred to special needs kids. As another poster said, our schools have regular buses and short buses. Which you go on depends on how many kids need to be picked up on your route. Being on the short bus doesn't mean anything here.

I never would have understood the comment to be derogatory or to refer to special needs if everyone here hadn't explained it.
deedeetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #233
LiLIrishChick63
I must have glitter in my skin because no matter where i go, glitter seems to follow
Totally fan-girled it for a minute
*led the Tag Fairy revival!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellePrincessBelle View Post
I saw the comment on instagram when it was posted. I enjoy watching the Duggars, but Josh seems to always win the king of the tools award. Clearly & sadly he is just reflecting what he his taught. I much prefer the Bates family. While hold the same religious beliefs, Kelly Bates seems genuinely caring about people.

The Bates actually have a room where they have a confederate flag hanging with photos of the founding members of the KKK....so i don't think they're as nice and sweet as they make themselves out to be, either.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #234
ashley0139
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The Bates actually have a room where they have a confederate flag hanging with photos of the founding members of the KKK....so i don't think they're as nice and sweet as they make themselves out to be, either.

Pre-Trip Report 2009: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2293006

Pop Century October 19-26, 2011

Pre-Trip Report 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796928
Trip Report 2011:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867080
ashley0139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #235
Sugardimples
DIS Veteran

Quote:

How do you know this? Just wondering.
Sugardimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #236
BellePrincessBelle
Nothing says Thanksgiving like some road kill

Quote:
Kelly Bates has 2 sisters that are african american...

BellePrincessBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #237
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Quote:
Oh please. Anything to get a dig. You are just as judgmental and hateful as they are. Calling the kettle black, perhaps?
Old 09-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #238
MaryAnnDVC
"Mare", DISing since '99; prefers being tagless

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeetoo View Post
I have never heard that the term short bus referred to special needs kids. As another poster said, our schools have regular buses and short buses. Which you go on depends on how many kids need to be picked up on your route. Being on the short bus doesn't mean anything here.

I never would have understood the comment to be derogatory or to refer to special needs if everyone here hadn't explained it.
We have short buses too for kindergarten kids who go half day (short bus one way, regular bus the other way with the rest of the elementary students), but I am also aware of the derogatory nature of the remark, particularly when Josh specifically clarified it with the hashtag "special".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugardimples View Post
How do you know this? Just wondering.
Re: their "Patriotic room": http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/70224233.html
Old 09-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #239
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
tigercat
A hashtag is often used as a key word. It either groups the tweet with others with the same hashtag or it is a short hand summary of the rest of the tweet. Tweets can only be up to 117 characters so people try to stuff as much information into those characters as possible.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #240
moon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAnnDVC View Post
We have short buses too for kindergarten kids who go half day (short bus one way, regular bus the other way with the rest of the elementary students), but I am also aware of the derogatory nature of the remark, particularly when Josh specifically clarified it with the hashtag "special".Re: their "Patriotic room": http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/70224233.html
Wow, just wow...
moon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: