Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #91
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
I do so want to go to SF after seeing your photos! The night picture from your room was stunning!

We LOVED sitting out there every night, it was a fabulous way to end the day.

The box of fruit was like a treasure chest fill of jewels. Beautiful, I love fresh fruit. Then to also have that great bottle of wine, such a gracious lady.

She sure is! Your description is so accurate, too- it WAS like a treasure chest. AMAZING!

Timmy is growing up so fast. Tyler always looks so blasé, but that's the typical teen pose.
Ah yes- Tyler.... he is a sweetheart- he is so, so good with Sean. But he is also 16, and oh so very cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Nice choice! and what a lovely thoughtful gift! I really like Embarcadero/Financial District for stays. We have stayed in most parts of the city, including Fisherman's Wharf and we really loved being down at the Ebarcadero this time as well. SO many good options in the city though.

Yes, I agree- TOO many! It was SOOOO hard to choose- usually I can narrow it down pretty quickly (which hotel to stay in)- but this time? I just kept reguessing and stressing! Originally I picked a boutique hotel in Union Sq- it had a Ben and Jerry Suite, complete wioth a freezer filled with ice cream (that was included!). When I saw that, I was like I'm gonna be Mom of the Year!!! BUT.....no 4 in a room. Actually, no 4 in any rooms there- small rooms, and suites only for adults. I looked at sooooo many places- but once I found the Hyatt, I kept coming back to it. So glad!

I want to travel with you too!

Well COME ON!!!!!!!

We had brunch there yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What did you have? The brunch pics looked great!

Fun to see pictures of the Musee Mechanique, we've never done it and I bet the boys would like it. The exploratorium is extremely cool. I didn't know it had moved from the Palace of Fine Arts, and was so shocked to see it down there!

We have a museum here in Nj called the Liberty Science Center, which we have been to with the boys- it looks really similar to what I saw for the Exploratorium. Loads of interactive stuff. It moved to the water just recently-

I've never been but have heard good things. There is not much right in Fisherman's Wharf itself that is for sure!
Yea- very touristy. Like when you go to Italy and restaurants have photos of their food outside- that's also a BAAAAAD sign!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Wow Ellen what awesome updates !!! Alcatraz, the seals , the flowers and the food !!! Those Bread animal were great !!! Hmm I have to check if San Franciscois a Free Trip!!!
You go, Rosie!!! How exciting would that trip be???
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #92
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Holy Mega Update! I can't even read it all now because, ya know, I gotta get ready for work.

Yea, well...I was on a roll, lol....

Love your arrival gift, your shoe interview, your entertaining lunch, and the cool museum. And thank goodness you told your stand in photographer how to take a correct picture!

Thank you!

I'll be back to read about dinner and, most likely, drool over it.

What a COOL city!
It truly is a beyond cool city- have you ever been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I've been once the year before the big earthquake. I loved it and really want to go back as an adult.

Jill in CO
What year was the big earthquake? It is great as an adult- I hope you get to go someday soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post

You win the internet today!
WOOHOOO!!!! I win! I win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc4life View Post
Hi Ellen! Just found your new TR last night. Have started reading this morning but just wanted to comment on your first set of pictures. They are great of Sean, Tyler and Tim. Boy have they grown up. And Sean looks so happy.

Hi Chris! It's getting close to double digits before our cruise!! I can't wait! And yes- the boys have really grown up. So sad how quickly, ya know?

Now, going back to read the rest!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
I knew you were going to California after I read your last TR.
If you ever become a travel agent-I will be your first customer.

Well, where do you want to go, lol? Because I am in business!!

I posted very last on your Hawaiian vacation and I even commented if you would do my travel plans, without me even knowing about your TA plans.

I saw that, it was so funny that you said it! But it was late at night when I read it, and I meant to go back and type a reply- but forgot, no doubt because I was headed to CA. I'm sorry!

Nice shout out to Wisconsin.

It was very pretty there- the water was nice, and you could see, even from the plane, that there were waves to the shore- I pointed that out to the boys and they stretched over to see.

I had to look at the picture and I thought at first you were crossing the Mississippi, but then I realized you were crossing over Lake Michigan by Milwaukee. Me and my dh just came across the Milwaukee Express Ferry and I recognized the coastline. The Ferry was my big adventure this summer. My dh has to much work, we spent part of our vacation at a mechanic shop that is putting a new engine in a subway train. His company is putting a new subway tunnel in under Grand Central Station and it will go out to Queens. My youngest son is moving to NYC next week-he also works for Michels Corp, so maybe I will get to go and visit, but he already told me I can't stay with him, I have to get a hotel

How exciting!!! When are you visiting? I do live near NYC, ya know......

Back to your TR-please become a TA-you take the neatest vacations. I never knew you could buy a ticket and be able to use those different transportations.
OK- I will- if you insist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattadisser View Post
I just found your TR and this is the exact trip that I have been thinking about planning!

GREAT idea!!!!

My husband and I got out to SF last October for the first time and loved it.

Absolutely incredible, right?

We would like to go back and take our girls but I can't imagine going to SF or DL without the other. Then I figured out how close Yosemite is and well, it has to be included too!

I think I understand how your mind works....

I can't wait to read along and take notes for my planning.

Christine
There is really alot you could do with younger kids in SF- so many great parks to see! So many things to climb! And Yosemite is just breathtaking- well, I hope I can help you! I will certainly do my best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Loved your updates, Ellen! Made me a little homesick, but still...

I don't blame you- I would be homesick always for SF if I had moved- have you ever taken Willow for a visit?

What a beautiful gift you received. How nice was that?!

BEYOND nice!!! It was incredible-

And it looks like y'all had a great day and evening in SF.

A very good first day- everything went as planned!Or better!

I am loving the pics of Timmy and the oysters!
SOOO bizarre he will eat them....
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #93
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Red face ** OK....SO I HaVE BEEN AWAY 4 A FEW DAZS &... **

.....your TR is already up to page 7!!

Hmmmmm.....I have gots to get caught up.
(love the topic)

hey - Q: did you take the trolley?? how much of a challenge was it to take it or didcha walk??

I am going to China town from Pier 39 via the trolley (in early January) to Union Square and back & just a wonderin'.

T.T.F.N.
My "ADVENTURES N IRELAND" - TRIP REPORT; JUNE 2011 (w/pics & video) -http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N HAWAII" -October 2011 trip report (w/pics & video)- http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2&referrerid=0
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; DEC 2014
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #94
Nora03
Mouseketeer

Hi Ellen,
I am so excited for you and your California trip. What a nice gesture from your Dis friend to send you a welcome/thank you gift! You definitely deserve it for giving us all many hours of pleasure reading your trip reports.

I was very lucky to visit San Francisco in 2010. We planned an Alaska cruise for our 40th anniversary and I was sooo smart and found a Celebrity Alaskan cruise sailing out of San Francisco! So we had four fabulous days in San Francisco before sailing off to the beautiful scenery in Alaska. I'll never forget it.

Looking forward to seeing your photos and thoughts of Muir Woods. We thought it was amazing.

Nora
Nora03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #95
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't blame you- I would be homesick always for SF if I had moved- have you ever taken Willow for a visit?
Sadly, I haven't yet. HOWEVER, I am heavily into vacation planning for 2014 right now. My mom wants to do something with us - we were going to do the DCL Alaska cruise again, but the family friend who would split a stateroom with my mom bailed on us, so that probably won't happen. I think it's a blessing in disguise, because the cost is , and I'd rather put that off a year. So I am making a list of options for my mom and will be going over all of them with her shortly. Top of my list are Hawaii and .. wait for it .... fly to SF and spend a few days visiting friends and family and enjoying the city, then rent a car and drive the Pacific Coast Highway over the course of 4-5 days, and then end with a few days at DLR! OMG - I am LOVING this idea!!!
RGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #96
podsnel

Wednesday morning, I was (of course) up before everyone, and it was mmmm...maybe 6:30? The time change made the possibility of getting my boys to do anything before noon a reality, but it wasn't a Hawaii time difference, so them getting up at 6:30 was a fantasy. That's ok- I went outside to quietly take a look-

It was looking grey and overcast. This I can tell you was pretty much the same view every morning we were in SF, except our last day. But on ALL of the days, this went away mid morning and we enjoyed beautifully blue skies while in SF.

I showered and whispered to Pods that I was going upstairs to scope out breakfast for us. He also needed to get up, because today we were getting a rental car (from the desk downstairs, right in our hotel- Budget, I think- $65 for the day in a small SUV) and heading to Muir Woods- and we needed to get there EARLY- the lots fill up, I had heard, and the tour buses all show up and it gets packed. Upstairs in the Regency Club, which is located on the top of the hotel and was their well known, rotating restaurant for year, but has since been reappointed as the RC, I was VERY happy to see the awesome spread-

Fruit, pastries, breads, granola, oatmeal, cereals, meats, cheeses, juices, yogurt with toppings, coffee, tea, cappucino & espresso and freshly made, still warm, hard boiled eggs. Something for everyone. Almost.

Apparently, this was the WORST for Timmy. Not one thing he would eat. Yes, the kid who was sucking down slimy sea creatures just the night before would not eat pastry, or hard boiled eggs, or any of the cereals offered.

Oh. Joy. Forgot to show you the view of the Bay Bridge from up there-

Well, we found something else for Timmy to eat, maybe he was ok with a couple of boxes of cereal, Pods went down to get the car and we followed behind when he called to say he had it. Here is Timmy, who HATES heights, enjoying the elevator ride down from the RC- the elevators are glass, and look out to the lobby, far, far below-

Sorry, but we all found this hilarious!! A YEAR ago, on Kauai, Timmy stood on the edge of a 200 ft cliff with gale force winds and LAUGHED at me as I SCREAMED at him to get away from the edge while I clung to the wall of rock behind me. But a glass elevator? TERRIFYING!!

We plugged in Muir Woods to Google Maps, and wonderful and accurate directions to Muir Woods followed. Our first glimpse of the Golden Gate Bridge, appropriate amount of fog in tact-

On our way across-

Soon we saw-

And had our first taste of winding, un-railed roads-

Click to play-

We arrived at 8:53 am, and already, on a Wednesday, in mid August, the first parking lot was full- the second, however, had plenty of space, and we slid easily into one of the closest spots. (Just WAIT til you see how this changes later on!).

We picked up our day tickets at the entrance, and began to explore.....

I have grown to love that sign....

Back later for updates and replies-

Old 09-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #97
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Oh, all those great memories of vacations past!

Love the update! Breakfast looks really good, sorry there was nothing for Timmy. I had to seeing the elevator photo. How fun is that.
Muir Woods is beautiful. I cannot wait to see more of your photos, it has been a while since Tom and I were there, definitely will have to go back after seeing your pics.
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #98
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

What a wonderful gift to welcome you to California. Joseph Phelps is definitely a great wine!

I've seen lots of people go to that Museum of old games and stuff, looks like a lot of fun.

I couldn't believe when you showed the picture of how touristy the area has become. I used to go up there on weekends when I first got my driver's license. Pier 39 was still relatively new and there were hardly any chain stores/restaurants there. The photo you posted was jam packed full of them.

I remember too not being able to afford to eat from anywhere but the little stands along the walkway where you get a shrimp cocktail or something in a paper container. We treated ourselves to Aliotos because that was a big name restaurant, the food was pretty good too, but I've heard that Scoma's is really the place to go down there. Everything looked great! Um that's a plate of oysters for ME! What would everyone else eat?

The Exploratorium is so much fun, you don't even have to be a kid! I went there a few years back and had blast, just all those darned kids kept getting in my way to play with all the cool experiments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
The exploratorium is extremely cool. I didn't know it had moved from the Palace of Fine Arts, and was so shocked to see it down there!
I didn't realize that it had moved either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
What size is your screen? Maybe that's it- can you see all of your own sig? I think yours is the same as mine-
I can see all of mine, but I make sure that it all fits in my preview before I save it. I can't see it all when I'm on my phone. I'll have to try making my screen smaller and look again.

The SF Bridge looks very nice. I haven't been to Muir woods. Looking forward to hearing more!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #99
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Oh, I am LOVING all the pics from your SF morning. The Bay Bridge picture is truly gorgeous - and again homesick-making (I commuted across that bridge every day for quite a few years). Can't wait to hear about your time at Muir Woods and hear what you get up to next!
RGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #100
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

That breakfast looked great !!! So Funny about the elevator !!! Can't wait to see the next set of pix !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #101
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Hey girl! I don't know what you did, but all of a sudden I can see all the links to your TRs!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:11 AM   #102
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Smile ****LOVEitLOVEit !! ****

I am just drooling over yer pics!!

you even gave me an idea.....nibble on some fruit while 'taste testing" some Pinot Noir or
Merlot Calif red wines while relaxing overnight(s) in 99 more days.

BUT -
whose countin'?
(and to think, the very last full day I am there will be spent touring Napa Valley)

Can't wait to hear more; esp more about Muirr Woods.

T.T.F.N.
My "ADVENTURES N IRELAND" - TRIP REPORT; JUNE 2011 (w/pics & video) -http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N HAWAII" -October 2011 trip report (w/pics & video)- http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2&referrerid=0
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; DEC 2014

Last edited by knewton64; 09-21-2013 at 05:17 AM.
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #103
KristiP
Mouseketeer

I Love your trip reports

I love your trip reports!!! My husband and I went to Yosemite this summer in June and to San Fran. I loved it and I can't wait to read your trip report
AKL/ SSR 2007 Boardwalk Villas 2008
WL 2008 HHI 2009 Bay Lake Tower 2011 Aulani 2012
KristiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #104
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

You take the best vacations!! I love how much research you do and how much care you take to find the perfect things to do. You are going to be a great travel agent!! I would follow one of your trip itineraries anyday!!!

So have you seen yourself on QVC? I don't typically watch it but might have to put it on one afternoon just to see if i can spot you.

What a lovely gift of fruit and wine. Yum!!!

That is amazing that Timmy tried the oysters if he is generally pretty picky. Good for him! I am only getting adventurous in my old age. But not that adventuous.

Looking forward to more!!!

2xcited2sleep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #105
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Ellen what are your thoughts on them changing from GAC to some FP + system ???
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: