Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #16
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokdog View Post
Carsland is amazing and so is the Disneyland resort, highly recommend a visit for anyone who has not been.

That being said, I like that they are going the other direction, something on that grand a scale and with the same type of uniqueness, but for Florida would be best and Star Wars would be a perfect fit.
Even back when our kids were younger, I can't fathom that being enough for us to have opted for DLR over WDW. Having been to DLR twice myself many years ago, DCA + CarsLand just isn't going to trump them. Would like to have seen CarsLand at DHS - but, for that matter, would like to see a blinking neon raisin at DHS if it represented some sort of upgrade to the place...
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist View Post
Even back when our kids were younger, I can't fathom that being enough for us to have opted for DLR over WDW. Having been to DLR twice myself many years ago, DCA + CarsLand just isn't going to trump them. Would like to have seen CarsLand at DHS - but, for that matter, would like to see a blinking neon raisin at DHS if it represented some sort of upgrade to the place...
My thinking as well, we won't be loading the family up and flying all the way across the country just for Carsland.

I don't get why everyone believes DLR and WDW should compete with each for guests.

ChipnDale79 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

Well we do need something to happen at DHS, and it needs to be Star Wars and Pixar Place expansion IMO.

Cars Land did it for us to go back out to DLR. If it wasn't for that though, we probably would have just took the family and nephew down to WDW. But like I said, Cars Land is impressive. If I were on the east coast, then I could understand maybe not going cross country but I am not in the position so I don't know if would or wouldn't have went out there or not.
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, SEPT 2013!! *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS DEC 2013
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #19
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post
My thinking as well, we won't be loading the family up and flying all the way across the country just for Carsland.

I don't get why everyone believes DLR and WDW should compete with each for guests.
I don't understand why people think DLR and WDW should be carbon copies of one another. Disneyland is easily reachable. The fact that you CHOOSE not to fly across the country for Cars Land (and Matterhorn, and Toontown, and Nemo subs, and Mr. Toad, and Space Mountain, etc.) is your...well...choice.

Cars Land was never a good logistical fit for WDW. The RSR / Test Track ride system does not play well with the rainy FL weather. Luigi's Flying Tires is OK as a one-off attraction, but it was never going to get replicated even if they did build a second Cars Land. The best WDW could have hoped for was some watered-down version of the land. I'm sure the "suits" had dollar signs in their eyes from all of the merchandising potential, but better to move on to an entirely new concept, IMO.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #20
WDWChloe
WDW Annual Passholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post

I don't understand why people think DLR and WDW should be carbon copies of one another. Disneyland is easily reachable. The fact that you CHOOSE not to fly across the country for Cars Land (and Matterhorn, and Toontown, and Nemo subs, and Mr. Toad, and Space Mountain, etc.) is your...well...choice.

Cars Land was never a good logistical fit for WDW. The RSR / Test Track ride system does not play well with the rainy FL weather. Luigi's Flying Tires is OK as a one-off attraction, but it was never going to get replicated even if they did build a second Cars Land. The best WDW could have hoped for was some watered-down version of the land. I'm sure the "suits" had dollar signs in their eyes from all of the merchandising potential, but better to move on to an entirely new concept, IMO.
Amen.

IG: @chloelovesdisney
WDWChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
Grammy4Lizzy
Mouseketeer

I love the fact that DL has things that WDW does not have and WDW has things that DL does not have. I think when they did Soaring at WDW they should have made it over a different area than California. That would have made it a little more relevant to WDW.
Sure DL is a much smaller area but it is what I grew up with. CA is more of a WDW feel because it is not jammed with things except in the boardwalk area by TSM. And I love my DL with its unique rides.
1977 Off site 1989 offsite 1995 CBR 1998 Dixie Landings 2001 All Star Music 2002 offsite 2006 offsite
2008 SSR 2010 AKL SSR 2/2013 10/2014 SSR
DLR Too many to count since 1955
Grammy4Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #22
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post

Fair, it is my choice and I won't be flying out there for carsland. If I had the choice between cars and starwars, I choose starwars. But I'll tak the same theory, if that happens I don't want to see dlr get starwars.

ChipnDale79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:13 AM   #23
N365PA
Ear Force One

Get rid of the Indian Jones Stunt Show, replace it with a new Indy ride or Star Wars stuff...

That being said, I really hope Cars Land comes to DHS. We saw cars land for the first time at this years D23 expo and it was awesome!
May 19-23: West Coast Repo - Disney Wonder
May 23-June 2: Alaska 9 nighter - Disney Wonder
Sep 29-Oct 7: AKV-Kidani Disney World

Past:
Bahamas Disney Magic - March 2000 Bahamas Disney Wonder - May 2010 Disney Dream Maiden Voyage - Jan 2011 Wonderful West Coast Repo! Disney Wonder - April 2011 Mexican Riviera Disney Wonder - Dec 2011 Disney Magic East Caribbean - April 2012 First Galveston Disney Magic - Sept 2012 Bahamas Disney Dream - Sept 2012
Bahamas Dream - April 2013 Eastern Caribbean Fantasy- May 2013 Re-Imagined Magic Miami - October 2013
N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #24
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

we need a villains land to go in it's place!
dcibrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #25
lroger01
Mouseketeer

Besides visiting Carsland, DLR is great as an alternative to going to WDW in the heat of summer. While the crowds are there, the humidity is low and the highs are mid 80's and the evenings cool and perfect. No rain either. You just have to watch out for AP blackout dates (the week before it goes into effect and the first few weeks after it lets up).

DLR June, July and August, WDW the rest of the year!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #26
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

I will be disappointed if Cars Land does not come to Florida. Since I live in Florida part of the year and part of the year in Japan, visiting Florida's cars land could be a yearly thing for my family and I. The California one I may go to ONCE in my life someday, but that will be all. When I go to Cali, I usually dont got for Theme parks but to spend time in San Fran.
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #27
jimmysmom74
DIS Veteran

It would be DL's dumbest move ever to give WDW any part of CA's carsland. CA attendance is up, partly because of it's addition. Many people have choose to take the trip to Cali that wouldn't have. If they bring it to WDW it is no longer unique to DL. DHS needs original. VillainsLand would fit great. So many possibilities. Appeal to adults and kids, if you keep the fear factor down. Star wars land is a must, but they need to do more than that.

me, DH, DS(6)
OCT 2001-AKL / OCT 2002-engaged at AKL / OCT 2006-AKL
DEC 2008-DS first trip-GF / MAY 2010-GPs, AKL / OCT 2011-Poly / NOV 2012-DL with cousins/ NOV 2013 CSR with GPs/ SpringBreak 2014-CR
jimmysmom74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #28
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

Id be interested in seeing a national Poll asking how many people have been to Disney land and Disney World.

I am betting the overwhelming majority would be NO

The average customer, not us fans on this site
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #29
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamarmiller View Post
Id be interested in seeing a national Poll asking how many people have been to Disney land and Disney World.

The poll has been established for years...

Wdw is longer average stay drawing from the heaviest populated portions of the US (upper Midwest (rust belt) and eastern seaboard), Western Europe, Canada, and developing Latin America...
Disney land is more of a "regional" clientele that is based on California and shorter stay travel from the plains, northwest, and some long distance travel from Asia...

Kinda always been that way...also
Reflective of the huge difference in size, ease of travel/crowding/access... Etc.

Anyone who had experienced both knows that Orlando international can be like the pearly gates and LAX can be like the seventh layer of hell... In comparison.

Security sucks at OIA though...need to fix that
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Not Soon Enough
Gift Shop Quality: Horrible
Portion Size: Shrinking and Suffering from Inflation

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #30
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamarmiller View Post

But the fact remains both parks are accessible to most of the US. Sure it's going to be a longer journey to cross the country if you're a CA or FL resident, but the costs aren't even remotely comparable to international travel.

Leaving Cars Land as a DL exclusive means they will always draw SOME additional business from customers wanting to see the uniqueness of that resort. The more homogenized WDW and DL become, the less incentive customers have to make those extra visits.

And really the only benefit to Disney is saving on development costs. As a consumer, that's a pretty crappy justification for constantly replicating attractions at both Resorts.

If WDW is drawn to the appeal of the Cars theme and merchandising potential, by all means add some Cars content to Florida. But make it UNIQUE. Copying their work from the other side of the country smacks of cheapness.

Speaking as someone who has made annual trips from the midwest to Disneyland for 4-5 years now, the lack of innovation at WDW has absolutely cost them some of my money. I rode the Little Mermaid attraction at California Adventure 1.5 years before it opened at WDW. That MK addition was meaningless. And if they can't find any other way to spend $800 million in Florida other than to replicate Cars Land, they'll lose even more of my money.

Give us Star Wars or something else unique at WDW. Give me a reason to spend more time there. Right now, when I want my fill of Space Mountain, Star Tours, Tower of Terror, Soarin or dozens of other attractions, I'll choose Disneyland over WDW every time.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: