Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #196
Girldreamer02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
Christmas week is spectacular, but bear in mind its BUSY. Busy-like-you-have-never-seen-it busy . The decorations are gorgeous and its just so darn festive, but if you are not prepared for the crowds, its going to be a shocker.

We met up with a poor young family on the boat to DTD from POR on our Christmas vacation this past year, and they were sooo upset....I just felt horrible for them. They had been to AK earlier in the day, and got on 3 rides in 9 hours. They had two wonderful little boys, and I hated seeing them so downtrodden. The magic got lost for them amidst the masses.

Definitely try to squeeze in a waterpark or two someday. Well worth a trip!
Thanks for the warning, but I've actually been to the world on christmas! I know how crazy busy it is. I'm well aware. Lol. Its not our ideal time to go, but my sister is a teacher so we have to plan around her christmas break so she is able to go.

*ASM Aug '10 & BLT DEC '10*AKL & Disney Magic Jan '09 Became DVC Members @ BLT*Disney Wonder July '08*
*AKL Dec 22-30 '07*Engaged at CRT Dec 16 '06*CSR Dec 15-22 '06*
Girldreamer02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #197
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girldreamer02 View Post
Thanks for the warning, but I've actually been to the world on christmas! I know how crazy busy it is. I'm well aware. Lol. Its not our ideal time to go, but my sister is a teacher so we have to plan around her christmas break so she is able to go.
I totally get it . I look forward to the day that the school calendar doesn't dictate when I can (and cannot) travel. It's not *that* far off for me!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #198
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sooooo.........I have a little news.

We bought a timeshare at the Sheraton Vistana Resort.
And as they always say at Sheraton "welcome home!"

Quote:
After much debate (because I tend to overthink just about everything ) and enough reading and researching to make my brains to liquid and start leaking out my ears, Steve and I took the plunge.
See? I told you the research would be painful! But since you have done the research, you are going in with eyes wide open. Congratulations on your purchase, sounds like you got a deal!

Quote:
I totally get it . I look forward to the day that the school calendar doesn't dictate when I can (and cannot) travel. It's not *that* far off for me!
And that's why we are fixed week 10 - DW is a school teacher, so we have many more years of being a slave to the school calendar. Come retirement, we may regret owning when all the kids are down there, but we can always trade for another time.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #199
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
And as they always say at Sheraton "welcome home!"

See? I told you the research would be painful! But since you have done the research, you are going in with eyes wide open. Congratulations on your purchase, sounds like you got a deal!

And that's why we are fixed week 10 - DW is a school teacher, so we have many more years of being a slave to the school calendar. Come retirement, we may regret owning when all the kids are down there, but we can always trade for another time.
Thank you Munro!

I have a file that's FULL of stuff I printed off, highlighted, circled, and marked. I have read and read and re-read the TUG boards. Steve calls my mania my "Timeshare OCD" . But I had such a huge list of questions that I needed to have answers to before we committed in any form. You were a huge help in that, BTW....you gave me not only lots of information, but also lots to think about. So thank you, again, for all your kindness and your patience. It was great to tap into your resources and your knowledge!

We feel like we have the best of both worlds with our fixed/floating week. Our deeded week is in the middle of summer, so if and when we have school-aged grandchildren to consider, we have that summer week secured. Otherwise we can float throughout pretty much the whole year. I am secretly dreaming of the other times of year that I'd like to travel .... Halloween is tops on the list, as is mid-December and early May. My mission is to try each month at least once .

Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Old 09-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #200
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:

After much debate (because I tend to overthink just about everything ) and enough reading and researching to make my brains to liquid and start leaking out my ears, Steve and I took the plunge.

I am not sure if the thought makes me want to do this: , or this: .

lol, no really.....we are super excited!!!

Our week is a deeded week 30, with the option to float during weeks 5-35, 40-47 and 50-52. So it will give us lots of flexibility as we transition our life from parents of a teenager to empty-nesters. We will use it for the first time on our 2014 vacation, and the boys are so thrilled.

Our signed documentation has been submitted to the closing company, so now we just wait for the legal process to run its course. We should hopefully have our final paperwork in hand for about the time I celebrate my 40th birthday. Best. Gift. Ever.

So ya'll are the first to know . I haven't even told my mom yet!

Get out!!!!!
That is FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!
Congrats Gina!!!
Just think. This is the promise of fabulous vacations for years and years to come! I am just so excited for you. We've looked at it a lot since you started this trip report too. I plan on joining TUG. I don't think it will be for a few more years yet, but an offsite timeshare is starting to look better and better to us too.
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #201
Debbie
DIScovering DIS magic
WISHing my way to success!
Thought processes working overboard!
We have YOUR date so book it up!

Quote:

I am not sure if the thought makes me want to do this: , or this: .

lol, no really.....we are super excited!!!

Our week is a deeded week 30, with the option to float during weeks 5-35, 40-47 and 50-52. So it will give us lots of flexibility as we transition our life from parents of a teenager to empty-nesters. We will use it for the first time on our 2014 vacation, and the boys are so thrilled.

Our signed documentation has been submitted to the closing company, so now we just wait for the legal process to run its course. We should hopefully have our final paperwork in hand for about the time I celebrate my 40th birthday. Best. Gift. Ever.

So ya'll are the first to know . I haven't even told my mom yet!
Congratulations, Gina! That is wonderful news!

Quote:
Thanks so much!

And what can I say? It was his Momma that taught him all he knows .
Gotta pass that gene along!

šoš Lovin' the mouse from my Canadian house! šoš

offsite-'85
CBR-'90FWHomes-'94FWHomes-'97HIFS/BC-'99Dixie Landings-Jan. '00 (just the parents)HIFS/Dixie Landings-Aug.'00ASMu '01Courtyard by Marriott DTD '02Courtyard by Marriott DTD/Coronado Springs '03Wilderness Lodge-Marathon Weekend '05POP with youngest sister '05POP with FREE DINING '06ASMu with DH '07POP with youngest daughter '0825th anniversary trip at Poly '09POR (still Dixie in my heart) with DH '121 night Kidani Village before 7 night Disney Fantasy Cruise '13
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #202
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
Get out!!!!!
That is FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!
Congrats Gina!!!
Just think. This is the promise of fabulous vacations for years and years to come! I am just so excited for you. We've looked at it a lot since you started this trip report too. I plan on joining TUG. I don't think it will be for a few more years yet, but an offsite timeshare is starting to look better and better to us too.
Thanks pigletto!

I must admit, I'm rather excited. I can't wait to have that official deed in my hands. Hopefully the closing process will be speedy!

TUG is a fantastic resource. People are so knowledgeable there, particularly about exchanging. That's not something we'll be doing for at least a few years....we want to use our Vistana week at the Vistana, at least until we tire of it (will that ever happen? )....but it may be something we consider down the road.

Have you got a particular property in mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
Congratulations, Gina! That is wonderful news!
Thanks, Debbie!!!

Old 09-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #203
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks pigletto!

I must admit, I'm rather excited. I can't wait to have that official deed in my hands. Hopefully the closing process will be speedy!

TUG is a fantastic resource. People are so knowledgeable there, particularly about exchanging. That's not something we'll be doing for at least a few years....we want to use our Vistana week at the Vistana, at least until we tire of it (will that ever happen? )....but it may be something we consider down the road.

Have you got a particular property in mind?
No, not really. I think reading your trip report this time and seeing how nice it was at Vistana was really what got me thinking about it. That and how much we spend every year going to Disney when we could be offsite, see some more of Florida and STILL get to go to Disney for less money? Seems like a no-brainer. We too have dreams of being snowbirds one day. My love of Florida and Disney started as a little girl. My grandparents had a place in Holiday (very near Clearwater) and they spent their winters there. We were able to visit every winter and they are some of the best memories I have. So whether it will be time share for awhile and hopefully a winter home someday.. well who knows. But we sure love to dream about it
Old 09-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #204
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

So I get caught up on the reading this morning and I find a big surprise in this thread!

Congrats

I'm madly in love with the thought of owning my own place, either timeshare or condo, but realistically it doesn't make sense for us right now.

BTW, after saying that we are really not going to FL next summer I find myself furiously plotting a trip for...... next summer. Before going this year I knew I would be going through big changes at work before Christmas....hence the trip. Right after we got back DH was also informed of major changes for himself in the next 6-8 months. So with all these changes my reaction is...I need to book another vacation. As much as I want to venture off someplace else I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Florida and get the most bang for my buck there.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #205
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As much as I want to venture off someplace else I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Florida and get the most bang for my buck there.
This is us too. I have a list as long as my arm of other places we want to go. And we will. But when I do the research, and I priced things out for month after our last Disney trip, my money goes further in Florida and we always have an awesome time. We will absolutely do the other trips we dream of, but when I can go to Disney/Florida for thousands less, and everyone has a blast, it's still our number one choice at this time.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #206
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
This is us too. I have a list as long as my arm of other places we want to go. And we will. But when I do the research, and I priced things out for month after our last Disney trip, my money goes further in Florida and we always have an awesome time. We will absolutely do the other trips we dream of, but when I can go to Disney/Florida for thousands less, and everyone has a blast, it's still our number one choice at this time.
I am very fortunate that I have traveled all over the world but at this point in my life a 1 week vacay just doesn't do it. The last time I took a week I felt like it was a waste of time and money. I can stay in FL for 12-14 days the same cost as a week in other places. Our August trip cost $2800...3 people, 2 weeks and I brought home $700 worth of stuff (we shop a lot). It's really hard to pass up a deal like that.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #207
Ted in Halifax
Over a 2,000 mile drive from Disney!

There is something about Florida with me too. Here I am in brazil reading the disboards.
May 2007 Fort Wilderness Cabins, Feb 2009 Pop Century, Nov 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, March 2010 Pop Century AP, May 2010 All Star Music AP, Nov 2010 POP Century AP, Feb 2011 Port Orleans Riverside AP, March 2012 AKV, March 2012 Disney Dream, March 2012 BWV, Feb 2013 POP AP, March 2013 AKL AP, July 2013 AKL AP, Dec 2013 Coronado Springs AP, Dec 2013 Saratoga Springs AP, and Dec 2013 POR French Quarter AP,
Ted in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #208
shalom
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on your Sheraton Vistana purchase! You'll be enjoying that for years to come.

Quote:
Oh, those Westgate presentations are bad . We went to one ourselves last summer and O.M.G. .
Westgate is nightmare fuel to people I know who actively seek out TS presentations for the "gifting." For those of us less experienced...

Quote:
Maintenance fees are due on January 1st each year, so I guess the biggest downfall is having to pay for our maintenance fees right around the expensive holiday season.

What is it with Timeshares? Ours are due in November, when we try to buy all our gifts so the December budget can cover any travel. Although I've never understood why NaNoWriMo is in November, either. Probably because it was set up by someone who doesn't do the U.S. Thanksgiving.

Quote:
Lord knows our extended families will not share in our joy, so it means a lot that I can celebrate here with all of you!
We hauled my parents out on vacation with us just as our purchase was finalized; haven't gotten any grief from them since.

Quote:
Otherwise we can float throughout pretty much the whole year. I am secretly dreaming of the other times of year that I'd like to travel .... Halloween is tops on the list, as is mid-December and early May. My mission is to try each month at least once .

I like that mission! I think I'll wait until I have fewer kids tied to the school calendar before I tackle it, though. Fall is my favorite season, and every year I swear I'm going to abandon my middle daughter to vacation then (she's tied to Nutcracker rehearsals all fall). She's the only one who ties me down the same times every year, though, since we home school and since the other kids rotate or change activities more.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #209
Debbie
DIScovering DIS magic
WISHing my way to success!
Thought processes working overboard!
We have YOUR date so book it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
Although I've never understood why NaNoWriMo is in November, either. Probably because it was set up by someone who doesn't do the U.S. Thanksgiving.
My daughter does this each year. She likes that it is after midterms and before exams. Of course, shopping for the holidays only happens after the term is over.....she didn't get that from ME!

šoš Lovin' the mouse from my Canadian house! šoš

offsite-'85
CBR-'90FWHomes-'94FWHomes-'97HIFS/BC-'99Dixie Landings-Jan. '00 (just the parents)HIFS/Dixie Landings-Aug.'00ASMu '01Courtyard by Marriott DTD '02Courtyard by Marriott DTD/Coronado Springs '03Wilderness Lodge-Marathon Weekend '05POP with youngest sister '05POP with FREE DINING '06ASMu with DH '07POP with youngest daughter '0825th anniversary trip at Poly '09POR (still Dixie in my heart) with DH '121 night Kidani Village before 7 night Disney Fantasy Cruise '13
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #210
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

So you would say that Congo River is the best of the mini-golf places? We LOVE mini-golf but haven't made it to that one yet.

Your report is amazing. You all look like you're having so much fun together.