DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #31
SarahInMN
Really my username should be SarahInOR now

We are big believers in "buy where you want to stay." We own at BCV so we can be close to EPCOT for Food and Wine - its so nice to be able to walk back and forth! We just bought into VGF because we like being on the monorail and (nostalgia) we were married at GF. We just weren't certain we would be happy having to always depend on the buses and like being able to walk to the parks.
For us, booking 11 months in advance is no big, and, with my work schedule, its almost a bonus to be able to block out my schedule 11 months in advance.

My advice is buy where you want to stay and don't buy some place where you wouldn't be happy staying.

SarahInMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #32
Disgirl2011
Earning My Ears

So, I hear everyone on the resale vs direct. For sure I would want to save money but here is my conundrum. I am planning a trip in May with my dad. I will be receiving part of an inheritance probably 2 weeks before my trip. So what I was thinking was rather than risk trying to rent points and end up with no options but Saratoga Springs (nothing against it just not where I'd ideally like to stay) I was thinking about buying DVC direct.

I've heard buying direct can go quicker and you can even book a reservation almost immediately. What I'm wondering though is would there still be less likely a chance for me getting a different resort other than Saratoga?

You guys have great viewpoints on the different matters when it comes to making a decision of where to buy. Last time I was in I stayed at Animal Kingdom Jambo and loved the atmosphere it was just super unique, the bus rides may have been a little long but it didn't really bother me too bad.

I think there is tons of benefits of buying in at Bay Lake Tower, location and such. I like that the contract is longer than most and that the dues are low, but the buy in is higher, I just need to decide if thats a deal breaker.

Thanks everyone for the input!
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #33
timandjanl
Mouseketeer

Yes you would be able to book the first trip almost immediately. When I talked to a DVC Guide he told me everything could be done in the first phone call to finalize the purchase. That said, it seems a bit silly to me to spend twice as much money just to try and have a chance at something other than SSR for one trip out of dozens once you are a member. I would probably just stalk the resale boards and move quickly on a listing.

Proud DVC Owner at SSR
timandjanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #34
Disgirl2011
Earning My Ears

Haha, I think what point I was trying to make and probably failed at was that I was planning on buying in May anyways but I wanted to "save" money by using my new DVC membership to stay rather than either rent points or stay at a non-dvc resort.

I know resale tends to take longer and I really will not have money to use until after the beginning of May. So if they require a deposit it might not be feasible until then.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #35
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Are you saying you want to buy direct points next May and use them to stay that same month because if you are your chances if there still being anything available are slim at best most likely nil. If I was buying direct for a stay in May I'd be buying by November at the latest
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #36
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgirl2011 View Post
So, I hear everyone on the resale vs direct. For sure I would want to save money but here is my conundrum. I am planning a trip in May with my dad. I will be receiving part of an inheritance probably 2 weeks before my trip. So what I was thinking was rather than risk trying to rent points and end up with no options but Saratoga Springs (nothing against it just not where I'd ideally like to stay) I was thinking about buying DVC direct.

I've heard buying direct can go quicker and you can even book a reservation almost immediately. What I'm wondering though is would there still be less likely a chance for me getting a different resort other than Saratoga?

You guys have great viewpoints on the different matters when it comes to making a decision of where to buy. Last time I was in I stayed at Animal Kingdom Jambo and loved the atmosphere it was just super unique, the bus rides may have been a little long but it didn't really bother me too bad.

I think there is tons of benefits of buying in at Bay Lake Tower, location and such. I like that the contract is longer than most and that the dues are low, but the buy in is higher, I just need to decide if thats a deal breaker.

Thanks everyone for the input!
Here is what I would do based on years as a DVC owner, owning 6 home resorts and 26 contracts.

Buy direct if you want a VGF fixed week contract or if you want to buy smaller contracts for flexibility or resale value realizing that you are paying a premium price.

Buy at you best guess favorite resort, use those points to stay at all of the DVC resorts to learn which resorts really are your favorite. Buy resale at your favorite resort(s).

Don't buy in a rush just to take a vacation. As a DVC owner your will take 100's of Disney vacations.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #37
CailinFig
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post

Here is what I would do based on years as a DVC owner, owning 6 home resorts and 26 contracts.

Buy direct if you want a VGF fixed week contract or if you want to buy smaller contracts for flexibility or resale value realizing that you are paying a premium price.

Buy at you best guess favorite resort, use those points to stay at all of the DVC resorts to learn which resorts really are your favorite. Buy resale at your favorite resort(s).

Don't buy in a rush just to take a vacation. As a DVC owner your will take 100's of Disney vacations.

Bill
I'm new here....it seems like veteran owners own several contracts in several locations. How does that work? You can combine your points from several locations to book one reservation (or more?) I guess I'm just confused why one would buy 1 contract, then buy more at other locations. TIA!
CailinFig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #38
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CailinFig View Post
I'm new here....it seems like veteran owners own several contracts in several locations. How does that work? You can combine your points from several locations to book one reservation (or more?) I guess I'm just confused why one would buy 1 contract, then buy more at other locations. TIA!
Owning a home resort gives you 11 month booking advantage, other resorts you can book at 7 months. At 7 months you can combine points.

If we had it to do over again we would take more time to decide which resorts to call home, that would take us down to 3 home resorts.

Availability can be a challenge for some resorts during certain times of the year. We got tired of not getting what we wanted or having to work to get to stay where we wanted.

Since we are paying thousands and thousands for Disney vacations, being disappointed about your room kind of puts a damper on the magic.

Bill

Old 09-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #39
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
As a DVC owner your will take 100's of Disney vacations. Bill
Hundreds??? Oh how I wish this were true...
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #40
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My position still stands, buy anywhere and take a chance or buy where you love to stay and get what you want.

Bill

I bought BWV because it is my family's preferred location and I want to make sure we get in even during a slow time of year.

I bought SSR/OKW for the price and I don't mind staying at either of them (but I'd rather be at BWV )

And past performance at the 7 month mark is not guarentee on future performance at the 7 month mark since the mix of resorts and owners is slowly changing over time.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #41
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93 View Post
Hundreds??? Oh how I wish this were true...
50 year contracts, possibility 2 or 3 visits per year, might be hundreds.

Bill

Old 09-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #42
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post

I bought BWV because it is my family's preferred location and I want to make sure we get in even during a slow time of year.

I bought SSR/OKW for the price and I don't mind staying at either of them (but I'd rather be at BWV )

And past performance at the 7 month mark is not guarentee on future performance at the 7 month mark since the mix of resorts and owners is slowly changing over time.
BWV, BW View is our number 1 favorite resort/view.

Bill

Old 10-03-2013, 12:24 AM   #43
CailinFig
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Owning a home resort gives you 11 month booking advantage, other resorts you can book at 7 months. At 7 months you can combine points.

If we had it to do over again we would take more time to decide which resorts to call home, that would take us down to 3 home resorts.

Availability can be a challenge for some resorts during certain times of the year. We got tired of not getting what we wanted or having to work to get to stay where we wanted.

Since we are paying thousands and thousands for Disney vacations, being disappointed about your room kind of puts a damper on the magic.

Bill
Ok, thank you...I was thinking of buying at Saratoga Springs for the purposes of using it at other resorts (VGC, Aulani)....but I guess that is silly after reading several posts.
CailinFig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #44
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CailinFig View Post
Ok, thank you...I was thinking of buying at Saratoga Springs for the purposes of using it at other resorts (VGC, Aulani)....but I guess that is silly after reading several posts.
depending on when you travel, it's not completely impossible.

but there are a LOT of SSR owners as you can see from the relative resort sizes in post #3 here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2823609

some SSR owners might be able to find something at 7 months out at other, smaller resorts, but if a lot of SSR owners expect to stay elsewhere, you can see how the math just doesn't work.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #45
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
depending on when you travel, it's not completely impossible.
This is definitely true, but also an extreme understatement. There have historically been far more room types available across all the WDW resorts over the entire year than unavailable. I think maybe a better way of putting it would be that unless you will be traveling at a particularly popular time of year AND want to stay at a particularly popular resort AND/OR need a specific room type, you are quite likely to be able to get what you want at 7 months.

Since I am almost always misunderstood, let me make it clear that I am not recommending what any individual should do. Everyone can make up their own mind about this. But they should do so with the best information.

Quote:
some SSR owners might be able to find something at 7 months out at other, smaller resorts, but if a lot of SSR owners expect to stay elsewhere, you can see how the math just doesn't work.
When theory and practice collide, you have to re-examine the theory. I haven't tried to run numbers myself, but I fully trust you that they show it should be very difficult for someone to get the resort they want at 7 months. And yet...in practice you usually can. I don't need to figure out why, but that is just how it has worked out ever since online booking has been available so this can be tracked. Maybe more SSR owners actually like their resort than most think. I know that's where we have our next trip planned, and I could choose any resort.

There are plenty of other reasons why someone might want to buy at a particular resort, and fortunately in these threads there is never any shortage of people pointing them out. But I do feel obligated to correct the one piece of misinformation that is almost always promoted, and that is the idea that it is difficult to get a room at 7 months out. In general, that is simply not true. In specific situations (time of year, resort, room type) it is true, so you really have to dig a little deeper to find out if that makes a difference in anyone's particular situation. One thing I find here is that people tend to assume everyone else is like they are: strongly prefer a particular resort, plan to go to WDW multiple times per year, have money to burn, extreme risk aversion, whatever. These things vary greatly among different people and can make a big difference in the home resort purchase decision.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: