DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #31
Anthony1971
DIS Veteran

While this is a perk and could be taken away...
I have family who own a fair amount of points --bought at 55 a point with free passes until 2000...
Had younger kids now have older kids and trade for cruises as they want the points for grandkids.
Not the best use? in some cases yes in others no.
If you buy DVC for the long haul consider all options...
I bought direct but resale saved 0 to very little and sometimes cost more at that time... Infact there was a great promotion where some got a free vacation and sold the points for what they paid.
A few years ago... direct price were hard to swallow...
Now it seems the tables are turning a little.
Anthony1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #32
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTikiBeckie

I don't really see people telling others to buy 40% more points though...I think their point is you could buy the same amount of points you planned to for 40% less with resale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
I agree, while many potential buyers may come up with the idea of buying more and renting (not a great idea IMO), I don't believe that's routinely recommended by anyone. What I have seen is people that said they bought a loaded contract and rented as well as I've personally recommended those looking at buying and reselling to consider simply adding on with less points (but more total).
One thing that I have advocated in the past (not sure it applies now) is that buyers considering a smaller resale contract look at their options for slightly larger contracts. We have seen many cases in which the net outlay for a 100 point contact was less than 20% more than the net outlay of a 50 point contract. At that point, depending on other circumstances, it makes sense to at least consider the larger contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
IMO, anyone who has done sufficient investigation to justify buying should have done enough they SHOULD be comfortable with the resale process. The reverse is true as well. IF one isn't comfortable they either haven't done sufficient investigation or have dramatic enough trust issues that they are not going to make rational decisions. There are good reasons to buy retails in some situations, just not many situations where it works out as reasonable for most new buyers and none simply because of comfort alone.
I would like to add to this that unlike many other timeshare systems, DVC resale restrictions and usage rules are clearly defined. In my experience, there is much less risk and uncertainty with a DVC resale than one from another system. I think that people being uncomfortable buying DVC resale is a function of the buyer, and not the product.
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #33
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
One thing that I have advocated in the past (not sure it applies now) is that buyers considering a smaller resale contract look at their options for slightly larger contracts. We have seen many cases in which the net outlay for a 100 point contact was less than 20% more than the net outlay of a 50 point contract. At that point, depending on other circumstances, it makes sense to at least consider the larger contract.
But a 100 point contract is going to have double the MFs of a 50 point contract, and over the life of the contract the MFs usually comprise a much larger sum than the purchase price.

If someone is contemplating a 50-point add-on, I'd suggest they really try to work banking and borrowing (or even shorter stays ) rather than buy a small contract they may not need.
Quote:
I would like to add to this that unlike many other timeshare systems, DVC resale restrictions and usage rules are clearly defined. In my experience, there is much less risk and uncertainty with a DVC resale than one from another system. I think that people being uncomfortable buying DVC resale is a function of the buyer, and not the product.
I don't know...I thought DVC did a very good job of introducing the resale restrictions, giving people plenty of time to adjust, but they've had some notable messes as well.

With any timeshare system it's important to know what is guaranteed and what can change. And sometimes things can change without the timeshare system's prior knowledge or approval. With DVC, the elimination of free valet parking is a classic fiasco. It would be extremely difficult to look more clueless than DVC looked on that one!
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #34
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I think many of us, myself included, have recommended buying a cushion of points esp when the anticipated size were small. I also think that many of us, you and me included, have suggested that a slightly larger contract might be more cost effective, available and reasonable. But I read the point in question as stating that it was common for posters to be advised to buy more simply to rent them out, I don't believe that's true (nor reasonable).

Jim, while I don't disagree with the point (same applies to 400 compared to 200), I'd say that if one couldn't reasonable justify a slightly larger contract, they likely couldn't justify the smaller one also. The specifics would have to drive any specific thoughts or recommendations though. If one truly only needs 50 and can buy them reasonably, do so. However if the limitation is due to cost & fees in a financial sense they likely shouldn't buy at all, at least at that time.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #35
binkblum
Mouseketeer

I recently added on at BCV and looked into buying through resale, but elected to buy through DVC. Part of my decision factored into how DVC will treat the owner of the points when they offer the extension (which they have only offered thus far at OKW). My guess is, if the points have been bought on the re-sale market, the extension will require the owner to pay an additional premium to "make whole". Just a guess, but part of my thinking.
binkblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #36
Orsino
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
Is a quick reservation really worth it? If they think so, maybe they might want to slow things down a little and think about what they're doing.
A sidenote:
When I was first looking at DVC, I had an upcoming CRO reservation at AKL. I did the math and a quick direct purchase (including maintenance fees) where I could drop the CRO reservation and substitute in a DVC stay made the direct purchase price competitive with buying resale.

I ended up buying resale (SSR) anyway, but if I knew 100% I was going to buy DVC at AKV, doing so would have been cost-effective in my case.

But I absolutely agree with taking things slow. That's the main reason I didn't buy DVC before that year's trip. I don't like making decisions that fast and when a salesman pushes to be quick, I get even more worried about acting quickly. In retrospect I see that it would have worked out, but I didn't know it at the time.
Orsino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #37
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkblum View Post
I recently added on at BCV and looked into buying through resale, but elected to buy through DVC. Part of my decision factored into how DVC will treat the owner of the points when they offer the extension (which they have only offered thus far at OKW). My guess is, if the points have been bought on the re-sale market, the extension will require the owner to pay an additional premium to "make whole". Just a guess, but part of my thinking.
While this may be possible, I truly don't think it is. IF they offer an extension, they'll have to offer it to all groups and I believe the base price will have to be the same. What they could do, and I'm surprised they haven't already, is tie retail purchases to extensions as an incentive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsino View Post
A sidenote:
When I was first looking at DVC, I had an upcoming CRO reservation at AKL. I did the math and a quick direct purchase (including maintenance fees) where I could drop the CRO reservation and substitute in a DVC stay made the direct purchase price competitive with buying resale.

I ended up buying resale (SSR) anyway, but if I knew 100% I was going to buy DVC at AKV, doing so would have been cost-effective in my case.

But I absolutely agree with taking things slow. That's the main reason I didn't buy DVC before that year's trip. I don't like making decisions that fast and when a salesman pushes to be quick, I get even more worried about acting quickly. In retrospect I see that it would have worked out, but I didn't know it at the time.
I think how one looks at this issue depends on when and the numbers. In years past when the difference between retail and resale was around 20% or so, getting a specific trip out of the deal and possibly a guaranteed reservation often reduced the difference such that it didn't matter. Now when the difference is much greater (even with recent increases), there are few situations where it wouldn't be better paying retail for a cash stay and waiting to buy resale if those are the only 2 choices though there are always possible options other than those 2.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: