Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #391
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbybeth View Post
If the "roll down" method doesn't work, you can use the rolled sock like a bun form - slide it all the way down your pony tail, spread the hair out (imagine, like an asterik but without spaces obviously) and use pins to secure it at the base. Take any extra hair and wrap it around the base - it tucks it away neatly and covers your pins - and pin the end in.

http://whatiwore2day.blogspot.com/20...-bun-form.html

That shouldn't require as much hair length!
I think this is EXACTLY what I will need!! Thanks so much! I'll have to go run out and get one of those bun forms so I can start practicing. My hair is kind of thick, so I will probably need a LOT of pins. But I think with the length I usually cut my hair to, the rolling method won't work, so this should be perfect.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #392
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

I'm glad that you were able to make up for the fact that you're going to miss out on seeing Hanson at Eat to the Beat, but more importantly, I'm glad you were able to make it a girls trip so that your DH didn't have to go.

You're going to have so much fun at MNSSHP. I can't wait to see the costumes... all of the costumes. Dustin...

I don't know if it is the hat or what, but Paxton just doesn't look as much like a toddler in that picture...
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #393
courtneybelle
I don't have a skull. Or bones.

Hanson was my first concert ever! I haven't listened to them in a long time but I used to love them. That's awesome that they do a charity walk before the show!! Also, I'm going to New Orleans for the first time next month and I am SO excited!

The pic of you and DS is adorable!!
courtneybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #394
DDuck4Life
Vinylmation and Donald Duck Nut!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I'm glad that you were able to make up for the fact that you're going to miss out on seeing Hanson at Eat to the Beat, but more importantly, I'm glad you were able to make it a girls trip so that your DH didn't have to go.

You're going to have so much fun at MNSSHP. I can't wait to see the costumes... all of the costumes. Dustin...

I don't know if it is the hat or what, but Paxton just doesn't look as much like a toddler in that picture...
me too. It was not worth getting a babysitter for. At least now I have a built in excuse.
2011 - November - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2012 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR
2013 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2014 - May - Wilderness Lodge - Adventures at 40"!
DL
2011 - April - Solo Day Trip, 2012 - May - Wyndham's Dolphin CoveTR, 2012 - August - Peacock Suites - Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip TR
DDuck4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #396
MEK
DIS Veteran

I can't picture Hanson as anything other than teenagers. How old were they in 1997 and has it really been that long? I know you are a huge fan so I am very happy to got to see them in such a cool venue. Has to be better than an Eat to the Beat venue.

Paxton is getting so grown up! Wow!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #397
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Great costumes! Your son looks very cute!

But I'm with Andy - Where is Dustin's costume? Hmmmmmmm?

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #398
DDuck4Life
Vinylmation and Donald Duck Nut!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post

Quote:
My costume is still up in the air. tempted to change my mind
2011 - November - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2012 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR
2013 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2014 - May - Wilderness Lodge - Adventures at 40"!
DL
2011 - April - Solo Day Trip, 2012 - May - Wyndham's Dolphin CoveTR, 2012 - August - Peacock Suites - Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip TR
DDuck4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #399
khertz

Quote:

DH definitely agrees with you on that one. He has joined me in a pinch, but I don't think he'd like taking time off of work for that!

I still haven't gotten DH to commit to anything yet, but I am working on that.

I know, he is growing way faster than I'd like him to. He is definitely losing his babyface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneybelle View Post
Hanson was my first concert ever! I haven't listened to them in a long time but I used to love them. That's awesome that they do a charity walk before the show!! Also, I'm going to New Orleans for the first time next month and I am SO excited!

The pic of you and DS is adorable!!
That's so great! My first concert was New Kids on the Block, and I will never forget it. They have been partnering with charities since at least '07 on their tours, plus the walks give you time to catch the guys one on one for a quick chat or a picture.

I'm sure you will have a great time in NOLA!! I wish we could visit home more often. What have you got planned to do for your time there? If you are at all into history, make sure you take time out for a plantation tour. It's something I LOVE to do and don't get to as often. Oak Alley in Vacherie is worth the drive out there.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I didn't even know what a sock bun was!

Hanson, that's fun and I do have to say...they are aging well

and mmmnnn bop is going to be stuck in my head!
I didn't either until I started looking into how to make a Tinkerbell bun. I used to be able to wind my hair into a tight bun but that was back when it was down to my waist. Now that I keep it shorter, I can't get it to stay in one like that. And I definitely didn't want a wig!

I have to agree with you on that one. I think they only get better with age in every possible way!

Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I can't picture Hanson as anything other than teenagers. How old were they in 1997 and has it really been that long? I know you are a huge fan so I am very happy to got to see them in such a cool venue. Has to be better than an Eat to the Beat venue.

Paxton is getting so grown up! Wow!
In '97, they were 16, 14, and 11! Now they all have wives and a bevy of gorgeous children. The HOB is a much more intimate atmosphere, but so much more full of energy than Eat to the Beat! About the only good thing the American Gardens Theater had going for it at a Hanson show was it gave me room to dance around like a fool.

Don't remind me!! He is getting bigger every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post

Thanks, Dave!

He is still having trouble committing to anything!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
Old 09-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #400
courtneybelle
I don't have a skull. Or bones.

I'm going for a college newspaper conference, but we should have evenings to tour the city. I would love to see a plantation! My friend really wants to do a ghost tour but that's not my thing...I'm very excited to just be there though!
courtneybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #401
amazingact21
Upendi

Sounds like you had a great time at the Hanson concert! I never knew they did the walk before all their shows, that is a pretty cool way to raise money.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
amazingact21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #402
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Haha, it seems Hanson is almost as popular as Disney around here. I really do have to give these guys a TON of credit. MMM Bop was such a fad style song that they could have easily faded away, but I give them major props for still recording and performing. Even back in the early days I could tell they were real musicians and not manufactured and I have a LOAD of respect for that.

Glad you had a great time!
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #403
amazingact21
Upendi

So, in my efforts to prepare for my first trip to Disney with a baby, I've been reading DISers TRs. I went back and read yours, and I have to say, it was really good! I LOVED the signatures on the Vinyl, and it was great seeing how much fun Paxton had at his first CP breakfast! Your report definitely gave me an idea on what to expect.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
amazingact21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #404
abbybeth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I think this is EXACTLY what I will need!! Thanks so much! I'll have to go run out and get one of those bun forms so I can start practicing. My hair is kind of thick, so I will probably need a LOT of pins. But I think with the length I usually cut my hair to, the rolling method won't work, so this should be perfect.
as a highland dancer who has to wear her hair in a bun for competitions and performances, I pride myself on my bun knowledge! Very happy to help you find a workable solution. The bun forms run about $5 and come in light, medium & dark - you should be able to pick one up at Ulta, Sally Beauty Supply, Wal-Mart, Target, CVS or Walgreens among other common stores. A package of the open bobby pins will run you about $1 or so and also come in colors to blend with your hair. It's really lightweight, you honestly probably won't even notice that it's there - much lighter than the sock bun.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #405
khertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneybelle View Post
I'm going for a college newspaper conference, but we should have evenings to tour the city. I would love to see a plantation! My friend really wants to do a ghost tour but that's not my thing...I'm very excited to just be there though!
It's such a fun city, so much to do besides just Bourbon St.! Now that we live farther away, DH and I like to go play tourist for a weekend sometimes. A friend visited me from California a few years ago, and I had a BLAST taking her around to the highlights and pretending to be a tourist myself. I hope you have a great time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
Sounds like you had a great time at the Hanson concert! I never knew they did the walk before all their shows, that is a pretty cool way to raise money.
It was an incredible night! They started doing the walks on the '07 tour I believe to promote Toms Shoes. Now they have you sign in for the walk and check off which cause is most important to you (clean water, education, medical supplies, etc). Whichever cause for each walk gets the most support, they donate $1 per person that walked to that cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Haha, it seems Hanson is almost as popular as Disney around here. I really do have to give these guys a TON of credit. MMM Bop was such a fad style song that they could have easily faded away, but I give them major props for still recording and performing. Even back in the early days I could tell they were real musicians and not manufactured and I have a LOAD of respect for that.

Glad you had a great time!
It might just be Lia and me, though, in all honesty. I knew her from the online Hanson community way back when, so I was excited to find her on these boards (I might have even first looked here because she mentioned them at one point?). Now that Mmmbop is farther in the past, it is nice to see them getting more respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
So, in my efforts to prepare for my first trip to Disney with a baby, I've been reading DISers TRs. I went back and read yours, and I have to say, it was really good! I LOVED the signatures on the Vinyl, and it was great seeing how much fun Paxton had at his first CP breakfast! Your report definitely gave me an idea on what to expect.
Thanks so much! Reading TR's was what made me more confident in taking a 1 year old to Disney World, and I'm SO GLAD we did! I strongly feel that as moms (and dads of course) we can learn so much from each others Disney mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbybeth View Post
as a highland dancer who has to wear her hair in a bun for competitions and performances, I pride myself on my bun knowledge! Very happy to help you find a workable solution. The bun forms run about $5 and come in light, medium & dark - you should be able to pick one up at Ulta, Sally Beauty Supply, Wal-Mart, Target, CVS or Walgreens among other common stores. A package of the open bobby pins will run you about $1 or so and also come in colors to blend with your hair. It's really lightweight, you honestly probably won't even notice that it's there - much lighter than the sock bun.
I just went and got mine at Walgreens this morning! I can't wait to try it out. It came with a few of the open bobby pins in the kit, and I have some regular ones that I will try to use as the "in between" pins. If they don't work I'll have time to go pick up some more open ones. Thanks so much again for the suggestion!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: