DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #31
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy7573 View Post
Booked 7 days at BWV studio at 11 months for late November 2013. At 7 months was able to change my rez to VWL studio. Still keeping my seven nights intact. There are possibilities of finding somewhere else to stay at the 7 month mark, including studios !
It pains me to say it, because its possibly my favorite resort (BWV is home), but VWL is almost always available at the seven month mark. Apparently, people don't value it as much as I do (or they are like me, and stay home even though they like it more).

NoleFan, I agree - you have a lot of flexibility due to your location and - well, being flexible. Buying where you don't mind staying isn't a bad idea for most owners. Buying anywhere at all is probably fine for a small minority of owners - they book short notice anyway, or are happy anywhere. For another minority, buy where you want to stay is the best advice - because they really WANT that BCV room at Food and Wine or a BLT Themepark View on New Years Eve, or they bought needing to stretch points with standard or value rooms - their heart is set on a specific resort, ending up at SSR or OKW or VAKL because that's what's left at seven months when they call just isn't acceptable.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #32
cindymouse6
"Remember, it all started with a Mouse!"

Grand Floridian stay

well, just FYI.... just used my OKW points to make a stay at VGF for Easter 2014.... no studio lake view, only standard view.... which was shocking actually.... but had to make it exactly 7 months to the day out..... but excited! we have a party of 5 and always get a 2 BR, so getting a studio will be a major downsize for us..... will see how it goes, but goes to show that MK resorts book quickly!

New Years and marathon OKW 2013-2014; VGF April 2014; BCV July 2014; BLT Oct.2014
cindymouse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #33
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Do you know what the cheapest resort to own and stay?
That requires a surprisingly complicated answer that's based on 3 factors that people weigh differently, depending on what assumptions they make. Ignoring the non-WDW resorts:
  1. Purchase price (PP) - OKW is selling for the lowest price-per-point, with resale asking price currently about $10/point less than the next resort.
  2. Maintenance Fee (MF) - BLT followed by SSR.
  3. Points per night (PPN) - AKV Value, followed by BWV Standard, OKW, and AKV Standard.
So, ideally you'd want OKW's PP, BLT's MF, and AKV Value's PPN.

SSR has a relatively low PP and MF so many purchase there and then try to book somewhere else at the 7-month window.

Beyond that, this tends to be a controversial discussion because members build in different assumptions. For example, "I'm going to vacation to WDW for the next 50 years so my BLT contract is lower cost because I can spread out the purchase price over a longer period." Great. Is 50 years reasonable? Are you even going to be alive?

Me, I tend to think of WDW as a 10-year plan and calculate accordingly. How much is the purchase price? How much do I think I can sell it for in 10 years? (Always tough to answer since this can be influenced by where DVC builds next.) What have been MF trends? (BLT has been hit with some big percentage increases recently.) Of the cheap options, which can I reasonably expect to book at the 7-month window for the time of year I want to go? (Do you like the Food and Wine Festival? Then generally forget about BWV Standard View for more than a day or two unless you own there. Generally, AKV Value is tough to get. Conversely, OKW generally is no problem getting year round.)

As you can see, different people will have different opinions on the above so there is no one-size-fits-all answer.

Last edited by Nabas; 09-14-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #34
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcags View Post
I agree. I would rather not hop around. It seems AK may be the best fit. With a small contract, we can stay there for at least a week on 100 points. The dues will be slightly more but i think it will be worth it to stay where we want.
The nice thing about AKV is it gives you 4 levels of room, 2 of which are hard to book if you don't own there:

- Concierge (even hard to book at 11 months)
- Savannah
- Standard
- Value (difficult to find a full week at 7 months)

AKV is now 100% declared for DVC use and, after several years, is finally nearing sold-out status. (This should happen early next year.) Up till now, AKV Standard and Savannah View have been relatively easy to book. (Only OKW and SSR are easier.) But I wonder if that will change once AKV is completely sold out since it means more DVC members vying for AKV rooms.

In addition, in the poor post-2008 economy, I've noticed a lot of DVC foreclosures, lots of resales, and potentially a lot of points being banked or going unused. It makes me wonder if 2009-2012 represents a low period of use. Watching what's happening on the resale market today, I wonder if, in general, it will become more difficult to book all DVC rooms.

Between SSR, BLT, and AKV, Disney more than doubled the number of DVC rooms and, therefore, the number of sold DVC points. Today, there are a lot more vying for (for example) the same number of rooms at BCV. IMHO, 2014 and beyond could represent a period unlike any previous so, at least for me, it's difficult to use past performance to predict the future.

My point is, just because something was easy to book in recent years, that doesn't mean it will stay that way going forward.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #35
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
It pains me to say it, because its possibly my favorite resort (BWV is home), but VWL is almost always available at the seven month mark. Apparently, people don't value it as much as I do (or they are like me, and stay home even though they like it more).
I wonder if demand for VWL is changing.

VWL used to be the only Magic Kingdom area DVC. Now we have BLT and VGF, with the Poly DVC coming in a few years. Once that opens, will VWL slip from #1 to #4 when it comes to a Magic Kingdom area stay?
Old 09-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #36
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas View Post

VWL used to be the only Magic Kingdom area DVC. Now we have BLT and VGF, with the Poly DVC coming in a few years. Once that opens, will VWL slip from #1 to #4 when it comes to a Magic Kingdom area stay?
There have always been times of the year when VWL was easier to book. But the holiday season was not usually one of those time. People like to book there for the decorations in Nov and Dec.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #37
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas View Post

VWL has been "under appreciated" since it opened - even when it was the only MK area resort it was fairly easy to book - except when the holiday decorations are up.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #38
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
VWL has been "under appreciated" since it opened - even when it was the only MK area resort it was fairly easy to book - except when the holiday decorations are up.
It must be that one studio with no balcony or the studio with the view of the dumpster. Or the view - trees, trees and more trees.

But I like trees.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #39
rusafee1183
DVC Owner Since 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
It must be that one studio with no balcony or the studio with the view of the dumpster.

Yep, we had "that" room. The very last room on the first floor next to the service doors..... Funny part? We still came home from that trip and bought VWL points because we loved the resort so much

And we knew we would want a shot to be there during the holidays, and knew that there was no way we could get it without the priority booking.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #40
DenLo
DIS Veteran

I love WL resort. And the location of the VWL is perfect. Great transportation to MK. When we last stayed there the buses were shared with Ft. Wilderness. Now I understand they are shared with GF. However, I do not like the rooms. I feel the same way with the ones at BWV, but a least they have some dedicated studios and 1BRs. It was really poor design to connect the rooms off of the studio's bedroom the and living room in the 1BR--really noisy in the studios.

Also I think that people have moved from formica countertops and apartment sized appliances--they want deluxe kitchens too even in a rustic looking villa. So as more MK resorts are added that have those amenities and quicker transportation to MK they like them more.

However, I will always hope to stay at VWL when it is decorated for Christmas.

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #41
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenLo View Post
I love WL resort. And the location of the VWL is perfect. Great transportation to MK. When we last stayed there the buses were shared with Ft. Wilderness. Now I understand they are shared with GF. However, I do not like the rooms. I feel the same way with the ones at BWV, but a least they have some dedicated studios and 1BRs. It was really poor design to connect the rooms off of the studio's bedroom the and living room in the 1BR--really noisy in the studios.

Also I think that people have moved from formica countertops and apartment sized appliances--they want deluxe kitchens too even in a rustic looking villa. So as more MK resorts are added that have those amenities and quicker transportation to MK they like them more.

However, I will always hope to stay at VWL when it is decorated for Christmas.
VWL does have dedicated studios and 1BR's - 20 studios and 27 1BR's and 47 lock offs. Not quite as good of odds as at BWV but pretty good.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: