Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Disney Purchased more land?

A friend of mine who just returned from a stay at Orange lake(backs up almost completely against Animal Kingdom) said that an employee hire up at Orange Lake told her that they recently sold part of the Resort to Disney for more room for Avatar land(or what I like to call BadIdeaLand).

Anyone hear about this land purchase rumor?
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
PuppyJonathan
Mouseketeer

I know they just bought some more land in California for an cast member parking lot at Disneyland. Did not hear this though. Was it land that was deannexed over the years?
PuppyJonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Postal68
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure, she only said that she was told by an employee that Orange Lake sold off some of their resort property to Disney up by the East Village and River Island.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
. . . she was told by an employee that Orange Lake sold off some of their resort property to Disney up by the East Village and River Island . . .

Does the informant drive bus for Orange Lake?
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post

good one
Old 09-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #6
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Disney has been buying and selling small acreage parcels around WDW and Orlando for years, so this is very possible.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

I don't believe they need ANY additional land for Avatarland - it is using land that was already part of AK but wasn't built on. And there is PLENTY of room between AK and Orange Lake.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

They may not have bought it directly for AvatarLand but instead may have purchased it to provide additional buffering between it and the surrounding properties. If they own it they can control what's being built on it, someone else owns it they can't.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
Q-man
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
A friend of mine who just returned from a stay at Orange lake(backs up almost completely against Animal Kingdom) said that an employee hire up at Orange Lake told her that they recently sold part of the Resort to Disney for more room for Avatar land(or what I like to call BadIdeaLand).

Anyone hear about this land purchase rumor?
Animal Kingdom Lodge is what backs up to Orange Lake. Animal Kingdom Park does not.
Q-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #10
wishicouldgomoreofte
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
I am starting to feel left out., In the 19 years I have been going to WDW, and so many trips I quit keeping track, I don't think a bus driver has ever told me a rumor.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishicouldgomoreofte View Post
I am starting to feel left out., In the 19 years I have been going to WDW, and so many trips I quit keeping track, I don't think a bus driver has ever told me a rumor.
I had one once, he told me not to believe anything a bus driver says... Actually, the few times i have been told something it has been accurate just not time correct. But who cares, it is fun to wonder what Disney is doing behind the scenes. Anyway, if Disney is buying land. Great! I do want to see them expand and improve. Money well spent, regardless of the reason. Maybe an Avitarland based DVC next to AKV???
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #12
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-man View Post
Animal Kingdom Lodge is what backs up to Orange Lake. Animal Kingdom Park does not.
Correct.

Where Avatar is going is the area where FOTLK is and to the south of it ("Camp Minnie Mickey"), most of that area is unpaved backstage parking right now. It was originally allocated for Beastly Kingdom.

There is a lot of space between there and the AKL to the west. And then some space (including the savanna) between that and the entrance area (not even the guest buildings) of Orange Lake.

Further to the north, Orange Lake has land that encroaches further to the east (RCID property isn't a straight line), south of Western Way, and they've built buildings up there. Immediately to the east of the property line, within 600-800 feet or so, is the perimeter of the safari area. But even there, there is space on the Orange Lake side including golf courses.

If a "buffer" was a problem, Disney probably would have addressed it earlier, since they knew where the property line was.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 09-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishicouldgomoreofte View Post
I have actually noticed as of late the bus drivers don't talk much at all any more (and some are just downright unfriendly at times). I haven't had a good bus story at Disney in several years.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
lego606
Mouseketeer

I overheard Theme Park 1 at Disneyland saying they purchased some land in Utah or something like that
Old 09-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego606 View Post
I overheard Theme Park 1 at Disneyland saying they purchased some land in Utah or something like that
Not sure what Theme Park 1 is, but DL did acquire a small parcel near the DL park to add or relocate some CM parking I believe.

No land acquisitions outside of that have been even rumored, beyond the occasional "They are building a Disneyland in my state..." rumors

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: