Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > DIS Adventures by Disney Trips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #331
MinnieGarden
Sweetie, let's focus on vacation..... step away from the techie stuff
Life would never been the same after the Podcast Cruise

Labor Day weekend we went to see my mom. Her neighbors spent 12 days in Rothenburg and 4 days in Heidelberg over Christmas last December. They sent us home with a stack of brochures and a book on Rothenburg, which we are still going through.

In Rothenburg, they stayed at the Kloster Stueble Hotel, which is a couple of block from our hotel. They said that the hotel restaurant was a good place to go for a reasonably priced dinner. The Eisenhut, where we are staying, is good for drinks and appetizers.

Brot and Zeit is a little further down the street from the Eisenhut and is the place to go for morning coffee and pastries. It's also a good place to go for drinks and appetizers. The best seats are those by the large picture windows for the best people watching in town.

Unter den Linden is a beer garden/tavern that is supposed to be really good too. It was on their list of places to go, but they didn't make it. It is either just inside or just outside the walls of the town and is a "good walk" from our hotel.

The Christmas Store is right next door to the hotel, and most of our conversation revolved around the store, all of the fabulous things that she bought, and how much she was looking forward to getting it all out for Christmas. It's a chain and there is another location across the street, as well as in Heidelberg, and I'm sure elsewhere too. Neighbor lady loved this store so much, that I am on a mission to find more placemats for her because she realized when she got home that she only had 3! Apparently this store is huge and coming from the Queen Bee of Shoppers, that's saying a lot!

Between the Eisenhut and the Kloster Stueble, there is a store that makes woolen items - sweaters, handbags, clothing, etc. There are also a couple of other locations in town.

All of our conversations revolved around food, drinks, and shopping. She did mention there were several museums and churches in town that her husband found interesting while she shopped.

Laurie, I did ask about wood carvings, but that wasn't on her shopping radar unfortunately.

MinnieGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #332
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGarden View Post
Labor Day weekend we went to see my mom. Her neighbors spent 12 days in Rothenburg and 4 days in Heidelberg over Christmas last December. They sent us home with a stack of brochures and a book on Rothenburg, which we are still going through.

In Rothenburg, they stayed at the Kloster Stueble Hotel, which is a couple of block from our hotel. They said that the hotel restaurant was a good place to go for a reasonably priced dinner. The Eisenhut, where we are staying, is good for drinks and appetizers.

Brot and Zeit is a little further down the street from the Eisenhut and is the place to go for morning coffee and pastries. It's also a good place to go for drinks and appetizers. The best seats are those by the large picture windows for the best people watching in town.

Unter den Linden is a beer garden/tavern that is supposed to be really good too. It was on their list of places to go, but they didn't make it. It is either just inside or just outside the walls of the town and is a "good walk" from our hotel.

The Christmas Store is right next door to the hotel, and most of our conversation revolved around the store, all of the fabulous things that she bought, and how much she was looking forward to getting it all out for Christmas. It's a chain and there is another location across the street, as well as in Heidelberg, and I'm sure elsewhere too. Neighbor lady loved this store so much, that I am on a mission to find more placemats for her because she realized when she got home that she only had 3! Apparently this store is huge and coming from the Queen Bee of Shoppers, that's saying a lot!

Between the Eisenhut and the Kloster Stueble, there is a store that makes woolen items - sweaters, handbags, clothing, etc. There are also a couple of other locations in town.

All of our conversations revolved around food, drinks, and shopping. She did mention there were several museums and churches in town that her husband found interesting while she shopped.

Laurie, I did ask about wood carvings, but that wasn't on her shopping radar unfortunately.
The Christmas Shop in Rothenburg ships your purchases back home. We splurged and bought a beautiful cuckoo clock in remembrance of our wonderful trip! LOVE IT!!
We spent a good amount of time in a beirgarten adjacent to a hotel up the street that is know for their Flammkuchen - German pizza. The original is with bacon & onions, which DH said was wonderful. DD and I had a caprese style and they shared a dessert one with apples and cinnamon. A group of us went there two nights for drinks and dessert - frightened faces when we announced "table for 10 please!" :-). Can't remember the name of the place, but if you have Stephanie for a guide, she will point you in the right direction. Breakfast at the Eisenhut is delicious. Homemade waffles and mimosas. Doesn't get better than that! :-).

I so loved this trip!!

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #333
HollyMac71
Sucks to have a dull life!

So looks like cooler weather is coming for the trip! I think Mike is packing some shorts just in case.
HollyMac71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #334
MinnieGarden
Sweetie, let's focus on vacation..... step away from the techie stuff
Life would never been the same after the Podcast Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyMac71 View Post
So looks like cooler weather is coming for the trip! I think Mike is packing some shorts just in case.
Dear Mother Nature,

I completely understand your hot flashes, however they are making it exceptionally challenging to pack for our upcoming vacation. I hardly think highs in the 70's-80's one week and 50's-60's the next is either necessary or reasonable.

Please get it under control so that we can pack for our vacation!

Love and kisses,
Dis'ers going to Germany

MinnieGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #335
chirurgeon
I am a delicate flower and need my sleep
I'm trying to avoid Emeldaitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGarden View Post
Dear Mother Nature,

I completely understand your hot flashes, however they are making it exceptionally challenging to pack for our upcoming vacation. I hardly think highs in the 70's-80's one week and 50's-60's the next is either necessary or reasonable.

Please get it under control so that we can pack for our vacation!

Love and kisses,
Dis'ers going to Germany
This is why I like to travel with Christy. Wish I was doing it this time.

Kim
CBR 4/00, YC 12/02, ASSp 6/05, AKL/BWI 12/06, ASSP/POFQ 6/07, POFQ/AKL 12/08, PCC 1 5/09, Dolphin/POP 2.0 12/09, POFQ/BCV 04/10, PCC 2.0 12/10, POR 12/11, ABD BSM 7/12, PCC 4.0 12/12, BC 4/13, ABD BSM 7/14
chirurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #336
JWren1234
Disney Adventurer
Steakhouse 55 - Now that is some good dining!

I just can't believe that the trip is less than two weeks away, where does the time go?

I'm dedicating today to getting myself prepared. This morning I bought thank you cards for the guides to put their gratuities in, this works better for me than the tip envelopes. The rest of the day will be packing (I want to get the bulk of it done today) and writing up a detailed itinerary for my family.

Looking very forward for the trip to begin!
Jason
JWren1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #337
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWren1234 View Post
I just can't believe that the trip is less than two weeks away, where does the time go?

I'm dedicating today to getting myself prepared. This morning I bought thank you cards for the guides to put their gratuities in, this works better for me than the tip envelopes. The rest of the day will be packing (I want to get the bulk of it done today) and writing up a detailed itinerary for my family.

Looking very forward for the trip to begin!
Jason
Do you know who your guides are?

Don't study the itinerary too closely! We did that for knights & lights but decided to just skim over this tour. It proved to be even more magical for us, being a little surprised at some of the things we did and saw! Lol

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #338
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Same here Jason! We ordered the last of any clothes we need last night. Dropped off any clothes to the cleaners that needed to be back before our departure. Started packing and getting the associated power adapters gathered together. Christy sent off the revised itinerary to the relatives and the pet sitter. My 13 year old Shih Tzu, Oscar, decided to dislocate his back right knee, so he is now on an anti-inflammatory.

Make sure your that electronics you take are capable of 110/220v and 50/60hz.

We are taking a Universal Surge protecting power strip that is designed for both US and World power and several European power adapters.

I am not sure how many power outlets we will get in some of the hotels so we bring a power strip.

I have staked out a location near the hotel in Heidelberg where I can get a Data SIM for either an Ipad or for a carrier unlocked Mifi.

Christy is working on the 2013 version of "Flat Ian."

Last edited by k5jmh; 09-08-2013 at 10:16 AM.
k5jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #339
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

[QUOTE=k5jmh;49507020]I have staked out a location near the hotel in Heidelberg where I can get a Data SIM for either an Ipad or for a carrier unlocked Mifi.[QUOTE]

If this works for a mini.....we're in!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #340
JWren1234
Disney Adventurer
Steakhouse 55 - Now that is some good dining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh View Post
Same here Jason! We ordered the last of any clothes we need last night. Dropped off any clothes to the cleaners that needed to be back before our departure. Started packing and getting the associated power adapters gathered together. Christy sent off the revised itinerary to the relatives and the pet sitter. My 13 year old Shih Tzu, Oscar, decided to dislocate his back right knee, so he is now on an anti-inflammatory.

Make sure your that electronics you take are capable of 110/220v and 50/60hz.

We are taking a Universal Surge protecting power strip that is designed for both US and World power and several European power adapters.

I am not sure how many power outlets we will get in some of the hotels so we bring a power strip.

I have staked out a location near the hotel in Heidelberg where I can get a Data SIM for either an Ipad or for a carrier unlocked Mifi.

Christy is working on the 2013 version of "Flat Ian."
Thank you, I just went and checked my electronics and adapters! And I purchased my global phone plan from Verizon, very happy I don't have to rent a phone through them this time!

Now it's just getting everything packed, I wish I could get a handle on what the weather will be like!

Jason
JWren1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #341
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru

Ian and I just got back from timing how long it takes to get to IAH from Ian's school door-to-door so that he and Joyce can watch Christy and I take off on departure day. 20 minutes flat! About 5 minutes after we pulled into the airport...

The Sunday version of our flight to Frankfurt took off.

Did I mention....SINGLE DIGIT DANCE!!!!

Last edited by k5jmh; 09-08-2013 at 08:36 PM.
k5jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #342
Sarabi's Cubs
DIS Veteran

Love all of the info on Rothenburg Christy!!

I have gotten as far as starting a pile of clothing but that's about it. I still feel like I need shoes. I am fixating on what clothes to bring as a means to avoid thinking about adapters and SIM cards. Too bad the ABD guides can't take care of this technology stuff for me too

Laurie

Contemporary 1972, Fort Wilderness 7/79, WDW offsite 6/84, WDW offsite 12/89, GF 9/96, BC 11/03, Disneyland offsite 6/05, BC 4/08, YC 1/2010, POR 12/2010, Disney Magic New Year's Cruise 12/2010, DIS Exclusive Knights & Lights ABD 9/11, Easter Dream cruise 4/2012, BWV 10/2012, Kidani 4/2013, DIS Exclusive Once Upon a Fairytale ABD 9/13, Kidani 12/13, DIS Exclusive Viva Italia ABD 9/14
Sarabi's Cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #343
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh View Post
Chesty
???
Old 09-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #344
HollyMac71
Sucks to have a dull life!

Yesterday I woke Mike up at 0630 to go over our clothes - then to the mall for what we needed. Now we are washing and ironing everything. Ordered another pair of shoes. I'm off to check my chargers for the voltage.

I'm getting nervous/excited as this is the biggest trip that Mike and I have ever done.
HollyMac71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #345
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru

Oops!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: