Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #3301
robinbutterfly
DIS Veteran

Hello! We just switched from Poly to POFQ due to the significant price difference. We have always stayed at deluxe, but POFQ looks like a deluxe to me! :-) For those of you that have stayed in a deluxe and moderates, do you think there is anything I will be "missing" other then location?
*May 2015- TBD * November 2013- Dolphin and POFQ *October 2012- WDW Swan * January 2012- WDW Boardwalk Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas. *January 2010-WDW Bay Lake Tower *January 2009-WDW Wilderness Lodge * June 2003- Disneyland Paris on our Honeymoon. WDW SEVERAL times as a kid. *1979- Disneyland in California
My husband Me My son : My daughter
Old 08-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #3302
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbutterfly View Post
Hello! We just switched from Poly to POFQ due to the significant price difference. We have always stayed at deluxe, but POFQ looks like a deluxe to me! :-) For those of you that have stayed in a deluxe and moderates, do you think there is anything I will be "missing" other then location?
I'll let you know in a month! I arrived at POFQ in a month after a few deluxe stays. I think POFQ looks awesome though and have wanted to try it for awhile, so I am psyched!!!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #3303
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbutterfly View Post
I don't think you'll miss a thing... We were deluxe fans since 1977....fan favorite was WL, thru our 46 stays, we've done every deluxe except Boardwalk...

Prices just got of hand for what we got, discounts became smaller and we gave POFQ a try 3 trips ago and have stayed there, the last 3 trips with a fourth coming up in October...

POFQ, for us is an undiscovered jewel in resorts...other than the outside corridors, it could be a deluxe... We prefer their food court over WL eateries... Queen beds, decent themed pool, compact easily walkable resort, boat ride to DTD ..
Nope, no regrets by us stepping down to mods, I must say, Poly rates are ridiculous, those rates don't even constitute a monorail stay... Nothing on the monorail loop is justifiable let alone the lesser priced WL...

DIS Dads Club Member
Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #3304
shana398
Mouseketeer

I am happy to hear this! We stayed at WL last year and will be at POFQ this year due to prices. We thought it would be nice add a few days and stay at a Mod this year rather than a Deluxe. I think we will miss the boat to MK though!! We debated FQ or Riverside. Hope we made the right decision!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #3305
wheels on fire
Mouseketeer

Anyone know size of the fridges in rooms please./am trying work out if can get all my sons meds/feeds in

Thank you
Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #3306
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by shana398 View Post
I am happy to hear this! We stayed at WL last year and will be at POFQ this year due to prices. We thought it would be nice add a few days and stay at a Mod this year rather than a Deluxe. I think we will miss the boat to MK though!! We debated FQ or Riverside. Hope we made the right decision!
For us, POFQ out ranks POR....

POR is huge, some buildings across the river and with 4 bus stops... You can guess at the size, walking etc of the resort...

We visit POR , enjoy the walk for say a pool picnic day ( pool hopping allowed, sister resorts )...lounge hopping, gift shop etc...

POFQ, one bus stop...when buses are shared, POFQ picked up first.....short walks everywhere, compact resort.... You'll love this resort..

DIS Dads Club Member
Old 08-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #3307
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbutterfly
Imho the only two things you might miss are:
Inside corridors - I prefer inside corridors so that I can hang out on the balcony/patio/... In my pjs before I go to bed.
Multiple forms of transportation - even though PO resorts have the boat to DTD, most of the deluxe resorts have a different mode of transportation to get to at least one park.

That's my opinion, but let me also say neither of those reasons are a deal breaker for me. The only reason we went deluxe for so many trips is we had no problem affording it, at the time, and we needed three separate sleeping surfaces.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
Old 08-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #3308
smallblackstars
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRRK View Post
Imho the only two things you might miss are:
Inside corridors - I prefer inside corridors so that I can hang out on the balcony/patio/... In my pjs before I go to bed.
I never really thought about this until you mentioned it. I love having a patio/balcony to sit out on in the morning. I tend to rise pretty early and would usually walk out onto the balcony in my PJs after the sun rises and just stand absorbing the heat, the smells and the Disney magic with a cuppa before going in and waking everyone up. Do you think if I did this at POFQ, standing outside our room in the corridor people would find it inappropriate? I don't think that there would be many people about at that time in the morning but I don't want to be doing something that would be generally frowned upon!

Me (31), DH (26), DD (4), Ninja (2)

Old 08-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #3309
sunset7132
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblackstars View Post

I never really thought about this until you mentioned it. I love having a patio/balcony to sit out on in the morning. I tend to rise pretty early and would usually walk out onto the balcony in my PJs after the sun rises and just stand absorbing the heat, the smells and the Disney magic with a cuppa before going in and waking everyone up. Do you think if I did this at POFQ, standing outside our room in the corridor people would find it inappropriate? I don't think that there would be many people about at that time in the morning but I don't want to be doing something that would be generally frowned upon!
We sit outside with a room chair when We arethere. We stay in river room and there's benches all along the path. I go in my pjs and sit on the bench with my java. I ts a wonderful resort . We have been staying there since our first trip in 94 I believe it was. Nice for couples that are taking adult vacation. More private feel
Old 08-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #3310
smallblackstars
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset7132 View Post
We sit outside with a room chair when We arethere. We stay in river room and there's benches all along the path. I go in my pjs and sit on the bench with my java. I ts a wonderful resort . We have been staying there since our first trip in 94 I believe it was. Nice for couples that are taking adult vacation. More private feel
Brilliant! I will be out there in my PJs every morning! I don't know what it is but the smell outside in the mornings in Florida is amazing, not like here in Scotland where it just smells damp, rainy and miserable all the time!!

Me (31), DH (26), DD (4), Ninja (2)

Old 08-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #3311
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblackstars View Post
As long as you don't mind having people walk by you (maybe with strollers), I can't imagine anyone giving it a second thought. (Of course, it may depend on what your PJs look like. . . )

Old 08-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #3312
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I think if you're wearing tshirt/flannel pants, sweats/athletic stuff you would be fine. Full on nightgown/pj, robes and slippers, well you probably won't get arrested.

But then again, I don't even run around my house in my pjs unless I'm sick or spending the day in bed, so I can't even fathom walking around outside.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #3313
Dotsie
Mouseketeer

Just finished packing - we leave in 38 hours!!!
I am setting my alarm to get up early tomorrow so I can do our online checkin for Southwest.

We've never stayed at POFQ and hearing so many wonderful review has really gotten us excited about staying there.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #3314
karly05
DIS Veteran

I am one who went to POFQ this year after only doing Deluxe resorts on prior trips, and I loved it! As much as I love Beach Club, my favorite thing about that has always been the lovely stroll to Epcot, so I would say that was the biggest thing I missed at POFQ. Still, I had no complaints with the bus system, and the DTD boat is a nice perk.

On the plus side: there are not a lot of quick service breakfast options at the Epcot resorts (that's why I spent so many mornings at Captain's Grille on the 2012 trip), and I really appreciated having the POFQ food court in the mornings for a nice variety of hot breakfast choices.

As far as sitting out on the walkway in the morning (or whenever), you might want to request a top-floor room. I was on the 3rd floor of Bldg 5, facing the lawn and in the middle of the "block" closest to the main building, and I saw/heard hardly anyone go by my room. (This was in early February in a lower crowd season, so YMMV.)
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #3315
TSM
Mouseketeer

Do you know if they sell the character autograph books at the gift shop at POFQ? This is our first stay here and I know they did at the other resorts we have stayed at but just making sure????
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: