Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
ldbrennan1217
Earning My Ears

Haircut

Planning on getting my grandsons first haircut at Harmony Barber Shop. Has anyone done this?
Pros and cons ?
ldbrennan1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
Tinkerboy00
DIS Veteran

I want to do this. Its on my Disney Bucket List
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
kaybird
DIS Veteran

Nearly all of us have done this! The boys both when they were small, and last year my 29yo DS did. I also had my lock of love cut done there last year.

kaybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
GagesMama
Mouseketeer

I have my son's first haircut scheduled for November 19. Woohoo! For $19, even if the cut is awful, it's worth it for the "extras" and experience.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

One important thing to remember at the MK Barber Shop. When they removed the old antique cash register and put in a terminal to allow use of credit cards and hotel charges and the like they hooked into The Emporium's network. The register, unlike ones in table service restaurants, cannot handle tips as part of the transaction.

So if you are planning on using the Harmony Barber Shop please be aware that if you are using any sort of card you cannot add a tip on the card and should have cash available for tipping.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
MamaOfTheOhana
Earning My Ears

Both my DDs had their first haircuts there, and they loved it. They got lots of attention and stickers, and blew bubbles. The ladies really took their time and were careful to understand what I wanted before they cut anything. The girls were really impressed with the glitter in their hair too.

I have the ear hats and locks of hair on shelves in their room, with the framed certificates underneath. I'm really glad we did it. It was well worth the money. For about the same price as a Super Cuts at home, it was awesome. We got wonderful pictures and great souvenirs.

The only problem is my DDs are horrified that I would even think of getting their little brother's first haircut anywhere but Disney World! So ... his hair is waiting until we go back, which is actually fine with me.

My DH actually got a haircut at the same time, because the chair was empty and he needed one! He enjoyed talking to his barber too, who did ask if he'd like glitter to match.
MamaOfTheOhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
GagesMama
Mouseketeer

Haha That's cute, Mama. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to it now even more.

Thanks for the heads up, CheshireFigment. I wouldn't have thought of that.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Disney Princess
Member Since Day 1
I am just the "organized" one

Cheshire Figment - thanks for the heads up about the tip. I was planning to use a gift card, so it is good to know so we are prepared.

Our son is scheduled on September 6. We can't wait for the pictures and video memories!
Disney Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
cgerdon02
Mouseketeer

Is there a photopass photographer here by chance? Just scheduled my son's first haircut for October and I'm so excited!!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
PrincessDaisyDuck
Mouseketeer

We had our DS's first haircut there when he was 15 months. I will say while the cast members are wonderful DS cried the whole time - I think we were unrealistic in assuming he would somehow "realize" he was getting his hair cut in this magical place and love it. Every other kid in the place was an angel but DS screamed his way through the few snips they were able to get in.

That was totally DS's personality at the time though, and we just had unrealistic expectations is all. The cast members were great and honestly the pictures are kind of cute even though he's crying - we can tease him about it someday when he's older, right?

1996 SoG & OKW, 1998 YC, OKW & WL, 1999 SoG & OKW, 2007 OKW, 2008 POFQ, 2009 POFQ, Jan. 2010 BLT, Sept. 2010 AKL Jambo, Jan. 2012 AKL Kidani, Sept. 2012 CSR, Feb. 2014 SSR
PrincessDaisyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #11
PaulaVonSchweetz
Mouseketeer

We did it also when dS was 7 months. Best thing ever! They do a great job of distracting with stickers and toys and honestly he hasnt had a comparable haircut since!
Its well worth the 20 bucks. Just make an appointment because they do take walk in business but appointments will come first.
September 2009 - Caribbean Beach
December 2011 - Bay Lake Towers & AKL
May 2012 - Bay Lake Towers
September 2012 - Bay Lake Towers & AKL
December 2013 - Bay Lake Towers & AKL
April 2014 - Bay Lake Towers
September 2014 - Boardwalk Villas - WOO HOO!!
April 2015 - TBD
PaulaVonSchweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
bostonminnie
Mouseketeer

My son had his first haircut at Harmony when he was 11 months old. The barber was great. Make sure to bring cash for a tip and your camera!

bostonminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

We had DS's first haircut there on his first trip at a year old, and it was fantastic! A little pricey for a kids cut, but it was a really special moment for our trip. Absolutely worth it. The only con I would say is that for a very young child there is nothing to hold them into the seat. But that was not a problem for us, as DS sat pretty still. We had his hair cut there again last year at 2 years old and he cried a bit at the beginning, but then he was okay (I think he just doesn't like his hair being sprayed with the water bottle!).

Both CM's we have had for DS's cuts were really great and had lots of ways to keep the kids entertained in the chair. Also, they have a process for wrapping up the first lock of hair for you to keep! I had brought a Ziploc bag with me just in case, but didn't need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgerdon02 View Post
Is there a photopass photographer here by chance? Just scheduled my son's first haircut for October and I'm so excited!!
It's either a hit or miss thing, or they now have Photopass photographers in there, I'm not sure which. There was not one for DS's first hair cut in November 2011, but there was one last year in October 2012. He placed a card at each station and would snap pictures of each child, scan the card, then move on to the next. But I still had pictures of both other kids getting their cuts on my account when I got home to view the pictures. But I just deleted those before ordering my CD. He got some really great photos of DS interacting with the CM once he loosened up and stopped crying.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge
khertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
cobright
DIS Veteran

We had our kids' hair cut there last year and they did a fine job.

PP photographer made it in for my daughter's cut (she went second).
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: