DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #16
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
It's not "commission" per se, but there are sales expectations for every staff member.

They do receive a fixed salary. However, those who cannot meet expectations do not last long. Those who exceed expectations are eligible for bonuses and other rewards which accompany good performance.

Disney trains staff members but they cannot oversee every sale. Some DVC reps come from other sales positions--some selling other timeshares--and bring habits which are not necessarily in line with Disney philosophy.

Fortunately, your experience is reflective of a single DVC sales guide--not the philosophy Disney tries to instill in its employees.

If you want to have a positive impact on the situation, I would recommend speaking with a DVC sales manager. Briefly explain your interaction and how you were put-off by the Guide's actions. The manager can use that information to determine if additional training is necessary or perhaps--combined with feedback from others--determine that the individual is not a good fit for the organization. And they can also assign you to someone who is a better match for your own needs.

Good luck.

Yes, I agree with reporting him. This is not the way DVC should be sold! Ours was NO pressure, but we did buy 17 years ago.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

You are buying a product, the Guide is there to convince you to buy the product.

Either the product saves you money or it doesn't, you will probably never see your Guide again unless you buy direct. I wouldn't let the experience put you off on the product.

Bill

Last edited by disneynutz; 08-17-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: sp
disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
CraigD
Earning My Ears

Kind of funny, I got irritated by my guide via phone for the exact opposite reason. He seemed too busy to take the time to discuss my questions in any length. He gave short and often incomplete answers. At one point I asked "do you have time for this right now or should I call back" he got the picture and started be a bit more helpful. However, after that I had already made up my mind about him. In the end, I bought resale wanting VGF.

I have built a successful careers in sales and laugh when I hear high pressure, demeaning or on the other end tactics that shoot the sales guy in the foot. The one thing I have learned is that People buy from people they like, if you are not someone they like, the chances of a sale decrease significantly. Furthermore, the best way to "sell" something to someone is to have them sell it to themselves, good sales people allow the buyer to talk more than they do.
CraigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #19
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigD View Post
the best way to "sell" something to someone is to have them sell it to themselves, good sales people allow the buyer to talk more than they do.
This is true in our case buying DVC direct. We went along with our daughter and her husband to speak with a guide about buying. They had taken the full tour and heard the spiel the year before and were ready to purchase. Their guide really insulted them when they tried to contact her, she told them to quit wasting her time.

When we got to the DVC office at SSR my son-in-law told them he wanted a new guide. We expressly told the new guide that we were NOT interested and to not try to sell us. Long story short, we ended up buying 210 points at BLT and so did the kids. The product sold itself.

In fact, the guide was shocked that we bought and was sure we would go home and reconsider. We showed him. We've added-on twice since then.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Shame you ended up with the pushy guy. We went to our 'buy-in' session to get FP. We were sitting in this LR with multiple couples talking to sales and were distracted by a 'hard seller' to another couple. Our guide took us into a quiet room. Hubby said she could see she was loosing us because of the other sales man so she changed our environment. She was right. We did go longer but she actually did the math and gave it to us with the idea that we'd call her back.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #21
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
My husband and I went on the DVC tour at Saratoga Springs the other day. We were told that the entire thing would take 60-90 minutes and would be "no pressure." We were very disappointed to find out that was not going to be the case.

Our "tour" took a little more than two hours, and the guy who we were assigned to, Joe, gave us a VERY hard sell at the end. He left the room to give us time to think and write down questions, and when he came back, he kept asking us why we hadn't signed yet. We told him we needed a few nights to think about it, and he essentially called us stupid for not having already signed up, given how much money we spend on Disney vacations.

He was essentially asking us to fork over $500 immediately of our savings, having only been introduced to the idea of DVC two hours before.

Anyway, it completely soured us on even the idea of DVC. We just felt it was completely unprofessional to be accosted like that at Disney.
Wow, that's awful. We experienced not one hint of pressure. And we are very sensitive to it, so I would have been likely to walk out if any were applied. Sounds like a salesperson who has previous experience in car sales or other timeshares where high pressure is the norm. I'd let DVC know about the experience and the guide.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #22
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Disney is a business and DVC is a cash cow. If you don't buy, The Guide doesn't get paid for the sale and poor performance could result in termination. He was probably a newer Guide under pressure to sell. Most Guide aren't as pushy.
If this is the case, then blame DVC, not the guide. People respond to incentives and employers should be held accountable for setting up ones that lead directly to an undesirable behavior. Interesting though that this doesn't seem to be the norm.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #23
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Thanks for all the responses. I sent an e-mail over to DVC today.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #24
rosanab1031
Mouseketeer

Wow this was not my experience at all and I bought within the last year

I am sorry that you had to get a typical "car salesman"

I have purchased both of my contracts direct at Disneyland. After my initial tour I don't think my guide called me at all unless I called him first. Lol. I had a lot of questions and he was always very happy to answer. There was no pressure to buy AT ALL.

My sister and I are planning a trip to Italy for next summer using DVC through RCI and we wanted to try to fit a short trip to DLP in there too. He worked with us for quite a while trying to figure out how we could do it with our current contract and not ONCE did he mention adding on to our current contract. I finally brought it up because I knew VGF had just opened up! Lol!

I hope that some good comes out of your email and that you get a much more helpful and less pushy guide the next time around. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #25
Mickbee
First voyage of the Magic crossing from Kingdom to Kingdom!

When we took our tour, our guide was great! He told us in advance the duration of the tours. We promptly ended on time including questions along the way. At the completion of his presentation he simply said "We have completed our tour, at this time this is where we would say goodbye or if you would like to learn more we can continue".

It was a great learning experience and the education drove our purchase.

Mickbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #26
francie57
DIS Veteran

We just did the tour on the 15th out of the BW office and had Mark. We was wonderful and never pressured us at all. We actually went in and told him we didn't need a tour since we always stay at a villas. He answered our questions and offered info that we hadn't thought of. We were never pressured and he gave us all the info at the end for us to consider. I am actually now looking at resales as the way to go for us since it is a considerable savings and I don't care about the cruise line and the few "collections" that we won't get.
francie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #27
MoreTravels
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. I sent an e-mail over to DVC today.

There are people with so much time....you were not a customer and you did not like his sales style, so what is the problem? Just turn around and leave then. Were you held against your will? Was the door locked?

Also, let me ask you to see it from the other angle about your complaint, if you are the business owner and you have a top sales person, generating for example, 50% of your sales volume whereas the rest of team each sells only 5-10%. Then you have some potential (ie, non-paying) customer complaining that person is "too pushy". What would you say?

Most business owners, whether ethically right or wrong, will say "tough but this is my best guy, if you don't like him, it's okay as long I like him for his top sales generation".

It's a different story if he used profanity or violent. As long as he was professional, I don't see the issue.
MoreTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #28
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTravels View Post

There are people with so much time....you were not a customer and you did not like his sales style, so what is the problem? Just turn around and leave then. Were you held against your will? Was the door locked?

Also, let me ask you to see it from the other angle about your complaint, if you are the business owner and you have a top sales person, generating for example, 50% of your sales volume whereas the rest of team each sells only 5-10%. Then you have some potential (ie, non-paying) customer complaining that person is "too pushy". What would you say?

Most business owners, whether ethically right or wrong, will say "tough but this is my best guy, if you don't like him, it's okay as long I like him for his top sales generation".

It's a different story if he used profanity or violent. As long as he was professional, I don't see the issue.
Clearly, you're the only person in this thread that feels that way.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #29
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

We have to chase our guide for our VGF purchase he was t pushy at all.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #30
MoreTravels
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Clearly, you're the only person in this thread that feels that way.
That is because I am a business owner and not on salary. I don't have any "entitlement" sentiment. I have many potential customers coming in complaining about our staff not answering our phone fast enough, when there are paying customers in our facility that need our attention right away. These complainers wanted to ask numerous questions and took a lot of time, but not leading to any revenue. I always tell myself, customer first, but you have to pay first, to be my customer. If you just want to voice complaints or be difficult, then too bad for you. The door is not locked.

I always remain professional on speech tone and greetings. However, I have no sympathy for crying babies.

This is how I feel if someone complains about my business staff / employees. Hey, they generated revenue for me but not the complainer. No soup for you!
MoreTravels is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: