DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #61
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper8286 View Post
...I do think in about ten years we will have gone enough and used our points enough that our initial expenditure will be recouped in terms of what we would have spent. (Think rack rate for One or two rooms at the Contemporary or Poly)....
But, how often have you paid rack rate for one or two rooms at the Contemporary or the Polynesian? You really need to compare a discounted rate that you would have actually paid for the accomodations you would have actually stayed in.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #62
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsouvenirs View Post
I just want to point out that you can probably only take 2/3 vacations like a week at WDW for $15k depending on how you do it, but any thorough examination of DVC requires a full spreadsheet with NPV projections and a true understanding of whether you are doing it to save $ or to bank vacations for future years when you have the available funds.

It's easy to show how much $ the outlay for DVC may be and although members may/do see realization of savings/value long term it's not something everyone is in the position to do and not something wants to sink costs in.
I do have an accounting degree and spent the last year as an auditor.

But I also don't own to SAVE money - I own because...
1) We want the kids in a different bedroom
2) I am not comfortable renting
3) When I bought, I was an onsite snob.
4) We can easily afford it.

Frankly, if it weren't for #1, we are happier in Deluxe hotels. And if it weren't for the kids being little and Disney being an easy trip, we wouldn't have bought. We have a last trip promised to our godchild, who isn't yet old enough, and then we may sell.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #63
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

It is emotional.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #64
sonofanarchy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
4) We can easily afford it.
Honestly, this is all you need to say. You are very lucky that this is the case for you. And if it is, you don't need any other reason or justification. If it was easily affordable for us, I'd do it too.
sonofanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #65
sonofanarchy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
And in reality those principles apply to many of the off property resorts as well. To me it's all a balance of resort/vila appeal, location and price. While I prefer on property, I find some of the off property resorts nicer overall.
Oh, absolutely. I could stay off-site in my MIL's timeshare for about $500 for 11 nights. I won't do it though.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #66
sonofanarchy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Honestly, I think this happens a lot more than you realize. For some it's such an emotional purchase that your statement is right on. I'd venture to guess that is true for more than half the buyers (most buyers are retail) but even for those that are aware of the full options including resale, it still happens. Unless DVC makes financial sense (both from a personal affordability standpoint and savings/value standpoint), it's really foolish to buy. To buy simply to be a member of the club makes no sense but I've seen it happen.
Yeah, I have seen this quite a bit. It always astonishes me how much DVC merchandise I see. It's almost like a way of showing status or something.

The whole "owning a piece of the magic" is a brilliant (though completely manipulative) slogan.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #67
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofanarchy View Post
Oh, absolutely. I could stay off-site in my MIL's timeshare for about $500 for 11 nights. I won't do it though.
It depends on which resort. I'd put around 10 resorts as at or above the level of DVC ignoring theming and location. Truthfully almost all of those resorts are better than DVC resorts in one or more areas IMO.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #68
jerseyduke
Mouseketeer

There are so many emotional factors that influence the decision that you can not represent in a spreadsheet (and trust me, I think you can run the world from Excel).

Purely from an ROI standpoint, what is the ROI of staying in a Delux studio vs. a mod. resort room, or even a value? How do you quantify that? Sure you might enjoy your vacation more, but would you not enjoy otherwise?

I prefer deluxe accommodations, but have had to go mod or value at times for budget reasons. I enjoyed those trips.

The bottom line is Disney is trying to increase profits. I do not say that in a "they are evil and greedy" way at all. They now have me as a DVC member, and I am sure they will make more money off of me over the life of my contract then they would have otherwise.

It is all the things that you can not quantify that make it worth it.

IF it actually saves you money, it probably will not be much. I find it hard to believe anyone can come up with numbers that make it a "GREAT purchase"

More than anything else, if is can you afford it.

Prior to 2008 (few at the poly, few off property)
2008 - AllStars
2010 - Poly
2012 - Poly/PO-RS
2013 - VGF&WL
2014 - AKL & OKW
jerseyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #69
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyduke View Post
There are so many emotional factors that influence the decision that you can not represent in a spreadsheet (and trust me, I think you can run the world from Excel).

Purely from an ROI standpoint, what is the ROI of staying in a Delux studio vs. a mod. resort room, or even a value? How do you quantify that? Sure you might enjoy your vacation more, but would you not enjoy otherwise?

I prefer deluxe accommodations, but have had to go mod or value at times for budget reasons. I enjoyed those trips.

The bottom line is Disney is trying to increase profits. I do not say that in a "they are evil and greedy" way at all. They now have me as a DVC member, and I am sure they will make more money off of me over the life of my contract then they would have otherwise.

It is all the things that you can not quantify that make it worth it.

IF it actually saves you money, it probably will not be much. I find it hard to believe anyone can come up with numbers that make it a "GREAT purchase"

More than anything else, if is can you afford it.
To me you have to make certain assumptions. In this exact situation I think you have to assume you're going to Disney on vacation for X number of days then the variables become cost and exact accommodation. From a spreadsheet standpoint, I believe this is the correct way to compare. You do need to look at both dollars and value though. However, I'm a big believe in the psychology of Disney and Timeshares and human nature all of which suggest to me that if you pay less on the room, you'll likely spend the extra somewhere else. I firmly believe that if the numbers don't make sense themselves for either savings or added value and someone still buys just for the emotions or perks, that is foolish and an extremely poor decision.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #70
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

We have rci which we bought in the resale market. Take over maintenance payments. It still wasn't a great deal.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #71
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMe View Post
We have rci which we bought in the resale market. Take over maintenance payments. It still wasn't a great deal.
Then you didn't buy an option that was reasonable or at least right for you or else you're not using it to it's fullest potential. I can tell you with 100% certainty that I get a far better value out of my non DVC options than I do DVC. No one owns RCI, neither RCI or II sell or work directly as a timeshare.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #72
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

We didn't buy to save money we bought knowing full well it would cost is money because we would go more often and so far it has. We bought because we wanted to stay at Kidani in a 2 bedrooms villa to do AK, we wanted to stay at SSR in a treehouse to do HS and EPcot and we wanted to stay in BLT or VGF to do MK. We could have continued to stay offsite in a condo but we saved and waited 7 years until we were sure we could afford the purchase. We simply bought something we wanted to own.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #73
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofanarchy View Post
Honestly, this is all you need to say. You are very lucky that this is the case for you. And if it is, you don't need any other reason or justification. If it was easily affordable for us, I'd do it too.
Lucky, yes. But also the choices we made and a lot of hard work. We were well into our 30s before vacations that weren't "staycations" became something we did. We haven't had a car loan since the mid -1990s or carried a balance on a credit card. We live in the same house we lived in when our income was less than half of what it is now (and I really should recarpet - one more year - TVM ). I worked when the kids were little (I stay home now that they are both teenagers, in part because they are teenagers and do really stupid stuff, in part because my husband has been traveling 50-75% of each month and works late nights when he is in town. His previous job was less demanding in terms of travel or late nights).
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #74
Trooper8286
TK8286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post

But, how often have you paid rack rate for one or two rooms at the Contemporary or the Polynesian? You really need to compare a discounted rate that you would have actually paid for the accomodations you would have actually stayed in.
Twice and would have done another this year ( I backed out because of cost).

I was able to get a discount on the second trip, but it was still greater than MF.....

IDK.... It is worth it to us.... I not trying to convince anyone, just relating some of my thoughts and considerations

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

-Jay
Stormtrooper 501st Legion- Carolina Garrison
I am not too short to be a stormtrooper!
Trooper8286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #75
MarthaMouse
Earning My Ears

Smile We were deciding the same thing

Hi,

We made the 'bad' decision to stay at the Contemporary 3 years ago. This was the first time we had stayed on Disney property. (Before this, we had typically stayed for free with my sweet Aunt and Uncle at their timeshare condo nearby--they always come down and stay 4 weeks or so and are so kind to let us stay a few nights in one of the bedrooms) Well, after our stay at the Contemporary, we were HOOKED! (of course, I had always dreamed of staying there since first seeing it as a child while on the monorail back in the 70s Since then, we have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kindgom Lodge.

We ultimately decided to join DVC (still in the process) to be able to keep staying in these type of resorts, and also because I have been toying with the idea of switching to relief or part-time after working full-time for 21 years. My thinking is that since we are not financing the initial purchase, it is like pre-paying for vacations that we will be able to continue enjoying, even if I decide to cut back on work.

So, from what I have read on these boards, it all depends on what type of resorts you enjoy--DVC makes more sense if you like staying at the deluxe resorts. OR, staying for extended stays like my Aunt and Uncle do at their timeshare? This is the question that I have about that: do members do that--use their points for 3 or 4 week stays at resorts like Old Key West, or do you have to had OKW as your home resort to be able to book an extended stay like that?

Have a great week,
Martha
MarthaMouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: