DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #31
sonofanarchy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilliams4 View Post
If the intent is to stay in at least a Moderate every other year, then the answer is yes assuming you do not finance your purchase.
A Moderate every other year = DVC making sense?

Sorry, but in no way do I find that to be true, financing or not.
sonofanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #32
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishLosingIt View Post
We went on a DVC tour on our last trip, and I really would like to purchase, but after crunching numbers, my husband isn't sure whether or not it will be a good deal for us. We're a family of 3 (including a 1.5 year old daughter). I'm a teacher, so we'd only be vacationing during school break times. We just stayed at Pop Century and were fine with staying in a value resort for a week - however we already booked a bounceback free dining offer for POFQ. We don't necessarily need to stay in a deluxe resort, but we definitely want to stay for 7-10 days each year, have a dining plan, and park tickets. Do you think we're better off doing a package every year or doing DVC? My husband seems to think that until DVC "pays for itself" it'll actually be more expensive than just doing packages.
I have to agree with the consensus here that the answer is probably no, for now. Keep in mind that you can stay in the exact same resorts if you want to without having to buy into DVC, either through renting points from current owners or directly through Disney. So what you are really looking for is cost savings if you are sure that you want to stay at one of the DVC resorts. As others have noted, there isn't necessarily a huge savings for DVC studio rooms, and there are a LOT of alternatives that don't require DVC membership. Given how you've described your situation, if I were you I wouldn't want to commit to DVC at this time. If your needs change in the future in a way that changes the equation (e.g., family gets larger and you know you will need 2 BR accommodations), I would revisit the idea then. DVC will still be here.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #33
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhoffm02 View Post
That comes pretty close to the $10 average MF per year I assumed above. It looks like with a $70 pp resale purchase you will end up with a price per night (for a studio) comperable to a moderate resort. However, many people say moderate is so much cheaper. Am I missing something?
No, the $388 is the average per year over the life of the contract. If member fees go up 15% each year, by 2054 you are paying over $1000 a point just for the fees.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #34
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
No, the $388 is the average per year over the life of the contract. If member fees go up 15% each year, by 2054 you are paying over $1000 a point just for the fees.
That may be, but you'll also be paying $900 for a Big Mac. Time and inflation combine to do crazy things. It is hard to keep things in perspective 40 years out.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:53 AM   #35
geraghty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill

This is impossible. Unless inflation goes up at a rate close to or more than 15%. To me, buying DVC is like buying gold. You are protecting yourself, not against inflation, but the mouses greed on hotel stays. Any increase in mfs have to be justified as necessary. However that does not protect us from the cost of food, tickets and travel.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #36
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93 View Post
That may be, but you'll also be paying $900 for a Big Mac. Time and inflation combine to do crazy things. It is hard to keep things in perspective 40 years out.
In the early 70s the advertisement was buy a Big Mac, coke and fries and get change back from your dollar. The first McDonalds hamburg I bought in the early 60s was 15 cents.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #37
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMe View Post
In the early 70s the advertisement was buy a Big Mac, coke and fries and get change back from your dollar. The first McDonalds hamburg I bought in the early 60s was 15 cents.
I remember a promotion where if you spent $10 at McDonalds you got a ticket to a Louisville basketball game. The reason it sticks in my head is that it seemed IMPOSSIBLE for a family to spent a whole $10 at McDs.

Dues will increase. If they increase 15% a year for several years, the entire economy would be in hyperinflation and we'd have huge problems beyond paying our dues. But you should assume that they will increase - and probably increase more towards the end of the contracts as the resorts get older and require more maintenance. Of course, resort prices will increase too. The difference is that once you buy DVC, you are stuck with the dues - if resort prices go up - I know its a huge hardship - but people COULD stay offsite or they could skip a year.

The long term commitment of cash needs to be taken into account.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #38
sonofanarchy
DIS Veteran

I think another thing that's important to keep in mind is this:

DVC locks you into a specific rate on the purchase price. While the dues increase, so do hotel rooms without DVC. However, here's the key that a lot of people leave out (especially DVC sales reps):

For the past 3 years we have rented points to stay at a DVC Resort. Over those 3 years, we've paid no more than $12 per point, and as little as $9 per point. The standard going rate is about $12 per point. That price will no doubt increase over time, however, if you are dedicated and patient, you can definitely find deals through sellers. Another key point: Staying at a Disney Resort through Disney. Yes, the prices do increase every year, but when DVC tells you how much you'll be saving, they do not take into account discounts. I don't know about anyone else, but I have never paid rack rate at Disney. The smallest discount I got was 20% and the steepest was 40%. Staying at Wilderness Lodge next week and I got 30% off the room.

It's impossible to calculate exactly what the break even point is when you take all these factors into consideration, but rest assured, DVC is making it sound a heck of a lot better than it is in reality.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #39
mrsmouse1960
Earning My Ears

Way back in the 80s we did the tour, but at the time it appeared to not make financial sense to us so we did not do it. We went back again and did the tour in 2008 and bought in before we ended our vacation. Since that time we added on additional points. I wish we had bought in when we did the first tour. Even after we bought in we still didn't think we would get down as often as we had hoped. But, knowing that the room is technically paid for (since we are financing our DVC) the decision making process is much easier for us for us to go whenever we can. We also have annual passes - so the tickets are already paid for. So for us to randomly decide to go only involves air and food.

Even if you cannot go for 7-10 day, you can still fit in a long weekend. You become very creative in how you can fit in a quickie. Because of my husbands employment in a school district, we are sometimes limited as to when we can go as well.

Ask yourself too if your family will be expanding. For us we knew our family would not be expanding past our one daughter. But now that we have a son in law, a granddaughter, and a grandson, we are all able to go on vacation together and stay in a villa. We can cook in the kitchen and save $$$ and just have someplace to go other than the parks. DVC also allows you to start breaking out of the park scenario and do other things that you may not normally do because you felt you had to 'get out of the room' and get to the parks. To us, being in a villa we feel more relaxed when we go on vacation.

It helps that our DVC is Bay Lake Tower and within walking distance to the Magic Kingdom. If the kids get cranky or someone doesn't feel good, etc. they can take a short walk back to the villa. DVC has also allowed us hop around and try different DVCs without worrying about the actual cost. The DVCs do vary in points needed per night based on the season, but for us it is easier to manage points than trying to come up with additional $$$ for a nicer room, or 2 rooms.

Also keep in mind that the price of a point will only continue to go up. When I think back to the 80's when we could have purchased and the cost, and what we actually bought in at in 2008...ugh.

Good luck in your decision making.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #40
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmouse1960 View Post
Even if you cannot go for 7-10 day, you can still fit in a long weekend. You become very creative in how you can fit in a quickie. Because of my husbands employment in a school district, we are sometimes limited as to when we can go as well.
Maybe. We can't. Its $1600+ in airfare for us, a family of four - or a 24 hour drive each way. There are no "long weekends" to Disney for our family - if we go, travel is a commitment.

I'm sort of jealous of anyone in the Atlanta area - where its possible to hop in a car after work on a Friday, take Monday off, and still manage to get in a nice vacation. Or anyone who lives in an area where fare sales and competition make a quickie affordable - but that isn't Minnesota.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #41
mrsmouse1960
Earning My Ears

We never thought a long weekend made sense. But I watched the airlines and the holidays. One of our most memorable vacations was last year. We decided to do a quick Halloween trip. We had a long weekend in September. We flew down on Friday, did the MNSSHP on Saturday and came home on Sunday. It was awesome and so memorable for us. It was just the two of us, so I can understand with little ones that it becomes more difficult. We would have never dreamed that possible when our daughter was growing up with all the school activities, etc.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #42
Trooper8286
TK8286

I am not sure if DVC makes financial sense in EVERY respect, but here are a few things I thought about....

I am locked in to MF through the end of the contract......I could use my MF for a hotel booking at a moderate and save the purchase price. But I want the flexibility of staying in a villa with my extended family. All of us together. Sure we could split rooms and meet for dinner. But with a villa, we can do like we do at the beach......hang out around the table......but at WDW and not the beach.....BIG plus.

I want the flexibility of going to Aulani. I want to see Pearl Harbor. For my BLT MF, I can see Pearl one day. My best buddy just dropped 2500.00 on a hotel reservation in Hawaii that is comparable to Aulani. MY MF are $720.00. Sure there is cost associated with travel out there, but the point is, I would incur those expenses AND would have to pay the 2500.00. The value is not necessarily in the difference of the hotel reservation and my MF.....the value, to me is the flexibility to use the points out there.

I want the flexibility of staying in Anaheim in 2015.....we may be going to DL then.

I have assigned value to ownership of DVC. This value is over and above the rack rate/ DVC comparison. I put being on the monorail, seeing the castle, walking to Food and Wine and doing it over and over till i'm 80 at a priority. If I croak before then, then my kids can do it with their family on my nickel. That helps you NONE.....but I say all this because there are intangibles, like feelings and preferences, that really make the difference in the decision.

Just a thought or two.

-Jay
Stormtrooper 501st Legion- Carolina Garrison
I am not too short to be a stormtrooper!
Trooper8286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #43
rosanab1031
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper8286 View Post
I am not sure if DVC makes financial sense in EVERY respect, but here are a few things I thought about....

I am locked in to MF through the end of the contract......I could use my MF for a hotel booking at a moderate and save the purchase price. But I want the flexibility of staying in a villa with my extended family. All of us together. Sure we could split rooms and meet for dinner. But with a villa, we can do like we do at the beach......hang out around the table......but at WDW and not the beach.....BIG plus.

I want the flexibility of going to Aulani. I want to see Pearl Harbor. For my BLT MF, I can see Pearl one day. My best buddy just dropped 2500.00 on a hotel reservation in Hawaii that is comparable to Aulani. MY MF are $720.00. Sure there is cost associated with travel out there, but the point is, I would incur those expenses AND would have to pay the 2500.00. The value is not necessarily in the difference of the hotel reservation and my MF.....the value, to me is the flexibility to use the points out there.

I want the flexibility of staying in Anaheim in 2015.....we may be going to DL then.

I have assigned value to ownership of DVC. This value is over and above the rack rate/ DVC comparison. I put being on the monorail, seeing the castle, walking to Food and Wine and doing it over and over till i'm 80 at a priority. If I croak before then, then my kids can do it with their family on my nickel. That helps you NONE.....but I say all this because there are intangibles, like feelings and preferences, that really make the difference in the decision.

Just a thought or two.
I completely agree!!! DVC opens up so much to me that I just never thought possible! AND IT'S ALL DISNEY!!!

People keep disregarding RCI and saying to not take that into account but my trip that I booked through RCI with my points would have cost the same amount as my initial DVC buy in if I had done it on my own. Plus we get to add on a 3 night trip to Disneyland Paris! That was the biggest selling point for me! Basically two trips in one which would have cost FAR more than my initial buy in! Now yes I has added on since my initial buy in but both contract will be paid off in the next 3 years. Financing works for me and while I know that it adds on quite a lot to my initial buy in it works for me and I won't be taking the full 10 years to pay the contract off.

I enjoy the flexibility that DVC offers and I already have my vacations planned for the next 7 years (one vacation every other year).

I got to go to WDW for the first time ever this past summer. Didn't think I would be able to make it there until I had kids of my own.

Next year I am going to Italy for seven nights and then to DLP for 3 nights.

In 2016 I am doing a Land and Sea package with 4 days at WDW and then a Disney cruise to the Bahamas.

In 2019 I am taking my family to Aulani.

Yes I realize that things can change and emergencies arise, but even the idea of these vacations wouldn't have been a possibility without DVC.

Plus I have the membership for 50 years! My kids (or my sister's kids. Haha) will have some amazing Disney Vacations for MANY years to come!
Old 08-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #44
sonofanarchy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosanab1031 View Post
I enjoy the flexibility that DVC offers and I already have my vacations planned for the next 7 years (one vacation every other year).

I got to go to WDW for the first time ever this past summer. Didn't think I would be able to make it there until I had kids of my own.

Next year I am going to Italy for seven nights and then to DLP for 3 nights.

In 2016 I am doing a Land and Sea package with 4 days at WDW and then a Disney cruise to the Bahamas.

In 2019 I am taking my family to Aulani.

Yes I realize that things can change and emergencies arise, but even the idea of these vacations wouldn't have been a possibility without DVC.
This is the part that doesn't make sense to me. Every other year. You still have to pay dues every year whether you bank your points or not.

As for never being able to take these trips without DVC, again, I don't understand why you would say that. If your DVC membership cost you $15K (that would be very low), you don't think these are trips you could take for that kind of money?

I'm not trying to sound rude or judgmental. But honestly, the way some people talk about being a member of DVC is almost as if they're ignoring the facts to justify their purchase.

Nobody can say to you "You made a mistake!" That's no one's place to say and simply isn't true. However, as someone in the middle who has done A LOT of research into DVC, I read comments like this and I can't help but be left completely perplexed.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #45
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

DVC is a money maker for Disney and it might be a money saver for some people.

In addition to making a good profit on the sales of the contract, Disney makes money on the repeat vacations that owners are now committed to.

If the buyer currently takes yearly vacations to Disney or they want to and they enjoy what the villas have to offer, then buying may make sense.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: