Originally Posted by wrighter
Just wondering what my fellow DISers thought about this. We are currently in the market for a resale add-on, and we have decided to be fairly flexible on # of points and cost pp, but we are fixed on a specific resort and UY.
I put in an offer on a contract yesterday. If another "perfect" contract came up today, would it be unethical to put in an offer on it also? I have no idea how long the sellers have to respond to our offer - but I'd hate to watch something else go by while I wait for them to pick their noses.
Which I guess leads to a follow up question: IF the sellers accept our offer, we can still back out, right? I certainly don't intend to, but I also want to make sure we cover our own butts wherever possible.
I believe there are 2 answers here. This is one of the very few situations related to timeshares where I believe the legal and ethical answers vary. Technically one can legally do so because you can back out even with a signed contract for the first 10 days. However, IMO, it's completely unethical to do so then switch around because another contract came along that was even better. If one makes an offer, simply add the caveat that one is making offers on more than one contract and the first one that is accepted will be the one that you go with. Once under contract, to back out and switch around is completely reprehensible. I'll go a step further, a broker that knowingly allows this type of behavior is also just as wrong.