Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #31
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Just finished running through your list. It looks delicious. I just posted my list and it looks like we are wanting to try many of the same things. You do have a few I don't and vice-versa. One thing I haven't done yet is look at the beer, wine and other alcoholic beverage selections. I might need to take out a small loan just to cover everything I want to try.

Jazz Hands and Pixiedust...they go together like PB&J! - An Adult Only Oct 2013 TR
Wishin' & Hopin', Plannin' & Dreamin' - Oct. 2013 PTR
Oct. 2011 PTR - NEWS FLASH: You must be 4 years old to go to Disney World!

************************************************** ****************************************
June 1984:Offsite - June 1986:Offsite - July 1989:Contemporary - August 1992:Dixie Landings - June/July 2006:Offsite -
October 2011:All-Star Movies
Old 08-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #32
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by missangelalexis View Post
Yum, good choices!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiedust530 View Post
Just finished running through your list. It looks delicious. I just posted my list and it looks like we are wanting to try many of the same things. You do have a few I don't and vice-versa. One thing I haven't done yet is look at the beer, wine and other alcoholic beverage selections. I might need to take out a small loan just to cover everything I want to try.
I always say I'm going to try certain wines and beers and then end up not trying them. Hopefully I actually follow through.

Last edited by Dis_Yoda; 10-02-2013 at 07:37 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #33
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Demonstrations

When the list was finally revealed late last week, I looked over the list of whats available for the dates we are going.

I only decided on two - both on November 2nd during my solo trip.

Saturday, November 02, 2013
2:00 PM The Great Whiskey Debate Spirit
3:00 PM Piero Premoli, Pricci, Atlanta, GA Tuna

We don't have any planned for the longer trip. That may change as we get closer to the trip and after I see which events I end up getting booked for the premium events as our plans may change if we don't get into everything I originally wanted.

Last edited by Dis_Yoda; 10-02-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #34
abbybeth
DIS Veteran

joining in! congrats on starting running - it sounds like you're sticking with it and continuing to improve steadily. It always helps to have a goal to chase down too - otherwise it's easy to get stagnant and bored.

Great F&W line up - this year will be my first time trying any of the special events. I got tickets for us this morning to attend Scotland: Land of Food & Drink. It was hard to pull the trigger on the extra cost, so I'm hoping that it turns out to be worth it.

It sounds like you have a fair amount of experience with F&W special events - do you find that it is worth the additional cost on the whole?
Old 08-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #35
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbybeth View Post
joining in! congrats on starting running - it sounds like you're sticking with it and continuing to improve steadily. It always helps to have a goal to chase down too - otherwise it's easy to get stagnant and bored.

Great F&W line up - this year will be my first time trying any of the special events. I got tickets for us this morning to attend Scotland: Land of Food & Drink. It was hard to pull the trigger on the extra cost, so I'm hoping that it turns out to be worth it.

It sounds like you have a fair amount of experience with F&W special events - do you find that it is worth the additional cost on the whole?
I'm very happy I have a reasonable goal & that the Disney events are so welcoming to new runners versus many of the running events around town here. I hope you enjoy the Scotland: Land of Food & Drink. Many years ago, they had a similar event for South Africa & I enjoyed that greatly.

I find many of the events worth it. In my memory, I've really only had 1 event where I was upset about for spending $300 & it not being worth it. That was a Jiko Signature Dinner when they still had celebrity guest chefs. The celebrity chef cancelled on them last minute & they scrambled with the ingredients to try to make something but failed. My husband still jokes about one of the dishes to this day whenever he eats trail mix. (We were served trail mix as one of our courses)

This is what I look forward to each year. I know it costs a lot but we scrimp in other areas to make up for it by either not buying new clothes until we need to replace them, finding deals for other purchases, etc.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #36
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Food & Wine Special Event Bookings
I'm not sure I even want to get into how disappointing it has been booking special events this year. This on top of my husband's father losing his battle to cancer yesterday, we just didn't need that added stress. I just hope Disney doesn't do the pre-bookings next year for Disney Visa as it seemed to cause more headaches than they were worth as nothing was 'opened' properly. That said, despite making multiple calls at various times of the day the past 2 days, I was able to get most of what I wanted. The only thing I had my heart set on that I didn't get was the Brown Derby Dinner on October 10th but I made a switch out that I think we will overall be happy with.

So my actual bookings:

For both Dis_Yoda & Mr. Dis_Yoda
October 5th - Taste, Shake, & Indulge
October 8th - Signature Lunch @ Le Cellier
October 10th - Signature Dinner @ Flying Fish

For Dis_Yoda
October 11th - Kitchen Memories: Art Smith
November 1st - Spirits Confidential Reserved Seating
November 2nd - Party of the Senses
November 3rd - Italian White Truffle Lunch

As you can see, there are slight differences between what we initially wanted and what we went with. I decided against the Parsian Breakfast on October 12th as the more I thought about it - spending $37 on a description that made it seem like it was a basic breakfast brunch with one glass of champagne/mimosa just didn't seem worth it to me. I decided against the Mexican Tequila Lunch or Italian Regional Lunch on November 2nd as my November 2nd already looks pretty busy as is & I have an amazing restuarant near us in Naples that does monthly Tequila Dinners. In fact, I'm attending one on August 21st with Harradura Tequila & its only $50.

Over the weekend, we are going to nail down the rest of our plans for dinners the nights we haven't set yet. Hopefully California Grill opens for reservations soon!
Old 08-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #37
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Fall Trip #2 - More Dining Reservations!

47 more days!

Now that the F&W Festival Special Events are booked, we finally go around to figuring out the rest of our meals for the trip.

We don't have anything booked for Sunday evening as of yet. That is the night I'm planning on California Grill. If it isn't available & opening is delayed, we may end up going the Dining Room @ Wolfgang Puck again or try Bear & Bull at the Waldorf.

Another funny thing to note is how screwed up Disney's IT is for the F&W events still. My 11:30AM event on Tuesday - thats the Le Cellier lunch - it just doesn't show up correctly.

We decided to give Artist Point another try. When we went there in October 2011, we didn't enjoy our meal. It was the first night of the trip & were tired from the long drive down & had issues with our wait and service along with just having a rough start to the trip. Figured 2 years is enough of a wait to see if it has improved or not.

Our lunch on Wednesday is going to be at Splitsville. We are going to make that our Downtown Disney day as we can shop in the morning and then spend the early afternoon, bowling & drinking.

Now that our plans are coming together, I'll start posting our day by day plans in the coming weeks.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #38
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

I'm glad you got into the Grand Mariner Tasting on October 5th. Hopefully we will get to meet and say, "hi".

On my PTR we were talking about how everyone has different choices for the Kiosks. I have some of the same ones, but a lot of different ones too. That's what is so great about the F&W Festival, there is something for everyone!

I'm looking forward to doing a French lunch and Mexican Tequila lunch. Since we haven't been back since 2009 and had a trip planned every year, I'm so hoping that we do get back there this year!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #39
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I'm glad you got into the Grand Mariner Tasting on October 5th. Hopefully we will get to meet and say, "hi".

On my PTR we were talking about how everyone has different choices for the Kiosks. I have some of the same ones, but a lot of different ones too. That's what is so great about the F&W Festival, there is something for everyone!

I'm looking forward to doing a French lunch and Mexican Tequila lunch. Since we haven't been back since 2009 and had a trip planned every year, I'm so hoping that we do get back there this year!
We'll definitely say hi. I really get spoiled by my tequila dinners here, but I know the F&W one is a favorite of many people. No Frunch for me this year but if we end up going to Alternative Week Schedules by my November trip, I'm going to see if there is still availability for that Friday's. glad you are finally making it down since I know we were going to run into each other back in like 2010/2011.

I am glad there are things for everybody. It's always amusing what people love that others hate.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #40
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Joining in!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #41
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Joining in!
Thanks for joining in!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #42
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Fall Trip #3 - Dining Plans

Outside of the Food & Wine Events I have booked for F&W, I only have 1 breakfast booked.

I did add another Wine Seminar for the 2nd. I know on Saturday, its going to be super busy at the actual booths so staying away from the World Showcase seems to be a better choice during the day.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #43
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Fall Trip #1: Updates & Plans

Our Rush of Fear tickets arrived!

We picked these tickets as they were cheaper than individual night tickets. $72.99, if you are a Florida Resident, will get you admission to every night for the first 3 weekends of events. So if we end up really enjoying HHN - we have the option to return on October 5th during Fall Trip #2.

Now that I have tickets, we finally can have some plans!

September 20th, 2013

4:00PM - Leave Naples & head to Orlando
7:30PM - Arrive at Portofino Bay Hotel, check into room, grab something quick to eat
9:00PM - Arrive at Halloween Horror Nights - yes, I know we are heading in 2.5 hours after this night opens. The event lasts until midnight but we might not be able to get more than 1 or 2 houses done before close. I'm hoping to get the Cabin in the Woods house done at least this night & possibly Evil Dead.

September 21st, 2013
12:00AM - Slowly wander out of the park after close back to Portofino
1:00AM - Bed!
9:00AM - Knowing us - we won't sleep in much more than this. We'll have a relaxing morning with breakfast at the hotel. I will then head to the spa for a facial and body polish. My husband will probably head to the Fitness Center for his daily work out. We'll eventually meet back up to get ready for our second night of HHN.

4:00PM - Early Dinner @ The Kitchen at Hard Rock Hotel. We obviously want to be fed before we enjoy the drinking and scares.

5:30PM - Night #2 of Halloween Horror Nights. We will try to get as many houses done as possible. Enjoy some rides, etc.

September 22nd, 2013
12:00AM - Slowly wander out of the park after close back to Portofino
1:00AM - Bed!
?:??AM - Whenever we decide to wake up, grab a quick breakfast, drive back to Naples.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #44
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Fall Trip #2: Detailed Plans

Now that the only reservation I'm missing in California Grill (which luckily I can reserve tomorrow) - we finally have our trip plans detailed!

October 4th
12:00PM - Leave Naples and head to Disney
3:30PM - Check In at Bay Lake Towers
4:00PM - Head to Wide World of Sports for Race Packet Pick Up & explore the Expo
8:00PM - Dinner @ the Wave

October 5th
6:30AM - Head over to Polynesian to take WWoS bus to the race
8:00AM - Haunted Trails 5K
11:00AM - Be back at BLT to clean up, change, etc.
12:00PM - Head over to EPCOT
1:00PM - Lunch @ Tokyo Dining - We are going to need some carbs for recovery & to not get completely drunk at our next event & sushi sounds like a great way to do that
2:30PM - Taste, Shake & Indulge @ Monsieur Paul
4:30PM - Head back to Bay Lake Towers, Clean Up
7:40PM - Dinner @ Jiko - I moved this reservation back as I figured our 6:00PM reservation would have been too rushed with our earlier plans. At least if we show up early, we usually can get seated without too much of a wait.

October 6th
7:30AM - Breakfast @ Contempo Cafe
9:00AM - Animal Kingdom Opens! We haven't been to Animal Kingdom in 2 years so we may spend more time here than we usually do
11:00AM - Lunch @ Yak & Yeti
Afternoon: Either more Animal Kingdom time or spend time in Magic Kingdom
6:00PM (hopefully) - Dinner @ California Grill

October 7th
7:30AM - Breakfast @ Contempo Cafe
9:00AM - Magic Kingdom Opens
Lunch will be at whichever counter service is closest to us when we are hungry
Afternoon break at hotel
6:00PM - Dinner @ Yachtsman
Possibly, extra magic hours at Magic Kingdom after dinner

October 8th
7:00AM - Breakfast in Room
8:00AM - EPCOT Opens! Play in Future World
11:30AM - Signature Lunch @ Le Cellier
?:??PM - Head back to Resort after Lunch - go swimming
6:00PM - Wine Dinner @ Citricos

October 9th
7:00AM - Breakfast in Room
9:00AM - Hollywood Studios Opens
11:00AM - Head to Downtown Disney for some shopping, etc
12:30PM - Lunch & Bowl @ Splitsville!
6:00PM - Dinner @ Artist Point

October 10th
9:00AM - Hollywood Studios Morning #2
10:30AM - Head over to EPCOT
11:00AM - Graze more F&W Booths
3:30PM - Head back to Hotel
6:00PM - Signature Dinner @ Flying Fish

October 11th
Dis_Yoda's Morning:
9:00AM - EPCOT Opens!
10:00AM - Kitchen Memories

Mr. Dis_Yoda's Morning:
TBD - Visit whatever park he wants to

Together Again!
12:30PM: Graze more F&W Booths
4:00PM - Back to hotel
6:05PM - Dinner @ Narcoossee's

October 12th
?:??PM - Whenever we wake up, head back to Naples.

I'm sure at night after dinner, we will head up to Top of the World at our hotel at least a few times.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #45
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

You really have a few fun times planned this fall!

We are booked at the Wave the same night as you at 6PM since we're doing the Wishes cruise, but we're hopefully changing to CA Grill tomorrow.

We are both booked into the Grand Mariner event Saturday so we'll have to say "hi"
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: