DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
shaycamp21
DIS Veteran

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am aware that if I purchase resale I am limited to how I can use my points which I am ok with. I would purchase with the intention to stay primarily at WDW (maybe sometime at Vero Beach).
For cruises I would just rent my points and use cash towards the cruise or just pay oop and bank the points for another time or even do the cruise and do WDW another time of year. We usually travel 2x per year so I wouldn't feel like I am limiting myself to only doing Disney.

I have more flexibility than DH to vacation as I am teacher so though I am thinking that we would go in either March (our Spring Break here in Canada) or August I do have the option of going in July or December (Christmas Break). DH gets four weeks per year and picks his weeks every October but it varies from year to year which weeks he gets. However, as I mentioned before I don't have a problem going without DH, he not being as much of a Disney fan would probably welcome not having to go every year.

The hardest sell for DH in the purchase is the maintenance fees.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
jerseyduke
Mouseketeer

Buy where you want to stay!

Unless you just do not care where you stay as long as it is at WDW.

The more points that are sold into the system (VGF, a possible Poly) the harder and harder non home resorts at the 7 month window will be to get.

Personally, if it were me, and I "needed" to buy now, I would buy where I wanted to stay, even if it meant less points. The difference in price when factored over the length of the contract (at least 30 years) to me, is not worth settling on a different resort. You can add on more later..a small 50 pointer...whatever you need.

If you get a loaded resale contract, great. Realize it is a sellers market.

One thing I did not see mentioned in other's responses is about Use Year. If you have a "regular" vacationing schedule, it is advantageous to vacation EARLY in your use year, do to the rules about banking points. If you tend to vacation in March, and April UY would be the worst for you.

Prior to 2008 (few at the poly, few off property)
2008 - AllStars
2010 - Poly
2012 - Poly/PO-RS
2013 - VGF&WL
2014 - AKL & OKW
jerseyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #18
disneymath
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaycamp21 View Post

I have more flexibility than DH to vacation as I am teacher so though I am thinking that we would go in either March (our Spring Break here in Canada) or August I do have the option of going in July or December (Christmas Break). DH gets four weeks per year and picks his weeks every October but it varies from year to year which weeks he gets. However, as I mentioned before I don't have a problem going without DH, he not being as much of a Disney fan would probably welcome not having to go every year.

The hardest sell for DH in the purchase is the maintenance fees.
The PPs have provided some great advice, so I won't repeat that. Like you, I'm Canadian and a teacher, I've owned DVC since 2010 and have recently added on. From that perspective, here are a few other considerations:

1. Canadian $ exchange rate. We were at par when I bought in, and I also maintain a US account with a healthy enough balance to cover a few years worth of dues, just in case the value of the CAD$ drops significantly and unexpectedly. Last time I checked, the difference was only about $0.05 on a dollar, which isn't too bad. This might be something to factor in since you mentioned that your DH isn't keen on the maintenance fees, which typically increase each year.

2. Your planned travel times will impact your non-accommodation costs and point requirements. Not sure where in Canada you are, or if you've flown to Orlando during Christmas or MArch Break in the past, but it can be pricey. We actually postponed our Fantasy cruise scheduled for last March Break (2013) because the airfare was going to cost more than the cruise. (I watched airfare from March 2012 until the day before our PIF date.). Also, the points requirements for Christmas week are as high as they can get at DVC resorts. They do drop to their lowest on January 1st, so depending on the school year calendar, a New Year's trip can work out nicely. We did this in 2011. Summerwise, July is busier than August, in late August many southern states are back in school and DVC point requirements drop mid month. Christmas Week and Spring Break are some of the busiest times at the WDW parks.

ETA:
3. That said, based on your predicted travel times, August is likely the best Use Year for you ... points need to be banked by the end of March so the points from any trips (especially March Break ones) that needed to be cancelled could be banked if cancelled more than 31 days out or could go into holding status to be used before July 31, if cancelled between 30 and 1 days out. The only "not so great" situation would be July trips since points cannot be banked within the last four months of your use year and you would not have much time to use points before they expire from a cancelled July trip. I opted for an August Use Year, since all things considered, the chances of needing to cancel a July trip (if I ever booked one) seemed the least likely to occur.

Last edited by disneymath; 07-29-2013 at 06:59 PM.
disneymath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #19
dhorner233
Disneyophile

I hope it's okay to jump in here with a basic question but, I have just started thinking about DVC.

Where do you get resales?

dhorner233 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhorner233 View Post
I hope it's okay to jump in here with a basic question but, I have just started thinking about DVC.

Where do you get resales?
Look at the top of this page. The Timeshare Store is a sponsor here. There is also Fidelity and a couple other brokers, not sure they can be mentioned here.

Last edited by DizBub; 08-17-2013 at 05:58 PM.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #21
dhorner233
Disneyophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
Look at the top of this page. The Timeshare Store is a sponsor here. There is also Fidleity and a couple other brokers, not sure they can be mentioned here.
Oh, okay. I just read somewhere there were 4 main ones. I see the ad on this page in front of my face now that you mention it

Thanks!

Old 08-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #22
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

The Good: onsite accommodations at moderate stay price

The Bad: you're making the cheapest items in the 'pkg' deal cheaper but the expensive items are still there - tickets, dinning, spending

The Ugly: short planned trips are gone unless you're really easy to please. We used to always plan about 4 months out and that is pretty much gone because as much as we like the larger resorts they all mean big bus time and we're not into buses.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #23
dhorner233
Disneyophile

I swear I heard the CM on the phone say that when you bought a DVC time share, it was yours for 49 years. But, I haven't seen that written anywhere. Is that true?

Old 08-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #24
lodge
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I swear I heard the CM on the phone say that when you bought a DVC time share, it was yours for 49 years. But, I haven't seen that written anywhere. Is that true?
If you purchase a new resort... The exact dates of each resorts expiration can be found in the Purchasing DVC Stickie....lots of good info there.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #25
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Depends on when the resort was released for sale by Disney.

New resorts start at 50 years.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #26
SarahInMN
Really my username should be SarahInOR now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyduke View Post
Buy where you want to stay!
This is the best piece of advice, IMHO. Know yourself! We knew we would only be happy at an EPCOT resort (no monorail resorts were built when we purchased) because we like being able to walk to parks and wanted a "quieter" resort, so we bought BCV because we'd be disappointed if we had to stay somewhere else during F&W but that's just us. We have friends who love, love, love Saratoga and hate staying at BCV.

We would only buy at a place where we'll be happy staying and would not buy at a less expensive price with the gamble of being able to book at 7 months out.

The AP discount is nice, the TiW is also nice, but it is a huge cost upfront. That said we only would stay at a deluxe on cash, so for us it feels like a great deal (especially since with a 1 bedroom we get a kitchen, washer/dryer, king bed, and a separate shower).

SarahInMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #27
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
All DVC resorts have an end date. That date doesn't change no matter when you buy your points for that resort. Many of the original resorts have an end date of Jan 31, 2042. OKW has two end dates, Jan 31, 2042 and Jan 31, 2057.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #28
dhorner233
Disneyophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge View Post
If you purchase a new resort... The exact dates of each resorts expiration can be found in the Purchasing DVC Stickie....lots of good info there.
Thanks. Guess I'm still learning how to navigate around the Disboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Depends on when the resort was released for sale by Disney.

New resorts start at 50 years.

Bill
Ooooohhhhhh! Thanks!

Old 08-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #29
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
The Good: onsite accommodations at moderate stay price

The Bad: you're making the cheapest items in the 'pkg' deal cheaper but the expensive items are still there - tickets, dinning, spending

The Ugly: short planned trips are gone unless you're really easy to please. We used to always plan about 4 months out and that is pretty much gone because as much as we like the larger resorts they all mean big bus time and we're not into buses.
Great post! So true!

The good: We bought in to get a villa (separate bedroom for us parents and washer/dryer and big jetted tub and kitchen and balcony...) and there was NO WAY we could pay cash for a stay in a villa on Disney property (way too much $$$). With 5 of us (now 3 are teens), this space is really important. We started off, in 2006, staying in 1BR villas and now we need a 2BR. If we didn't have DVC, we surely wouldn't be doing WDW trips (we'd have to rent a condo off site...and that just isn't the same to me and wouldn't make me want to go to WDW).

The bad: We quickly discovered that our WDW trips were still costing a ton of $$$ because of park tickets and dining and airfare (once we moved 5 hours north). But, we found a way to work around that slightly. We get APs and do 2-3 trips using them (in that 12 months) and then the following year we use our DVC points to do a beach trip (did HH and VB...added on HH points just for this purpose and we will go there every other year, like next year). Now, this year we bought the PAPs that were offered last winter at a great low price for DVC members...so you sometimes get some great perks. Trip #2, this year, is coming up for Food and Wine (sans kiddos...can't wait). And for dining...I recommend getting the TIW card. So....you can work around the bad (all the costs)...or at least minimize it a bit.

The ugly: Nothing Disney can be done on short notice anymore...ADRs and now FP+....uggghhh. So, I have learned (and I actually enjoy) how to be a great WDW trip planner. We go with extended family a lot (SIL also owns DVC and MIL/FIL pay us to use 100 of our points each year) and I plan out the trips for us all. And if you are happy to stay at any of the DVC resorts, well then it won't be so bad to plan a trip on shorter notice. We have our order of preference, but ultimately are glad to be at WDW in any of the DVC resorts. There are some times that are tougher to book on shorter notice than other times. So, it does take some effort and early planning sometimes to get the trip you want.

Good luck in your decision. And if you decide to buy, happy hunting for your contract (I also recommend buying via resale).
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #30
crisi
DIS Veteran

Also know that with a family of five, you can't stay in Studios (except at the VGF - its possible that at some point in the future more "sleep 5 studios will be added). IF you are comfortable in a sleeps five Deluxe hotel room, DVC isn't likely to save you money as you must move to a one bedroom. But the one bedrooms are wonderful (and the two more so with teenagers).

My rule is that I get nervous when people ask if DVC is for them and talk about saving money. It is my opinion, backed up by observation of what people on these boards talk about, that few of us SAVE money (and if that is the priority, I'd rent an offsite timeshare through Skyauction). Most of us trade a little more money for a better experience. I don't think the rooms are as nice as Deluxes, and I like daily housekeeping - for me the better experience is having space away from my kids and having a washer dryer in the room and making up a few eggs in the morning for breakfast. Other people have other opinions.

And a few people do save money - they were staying in regular Deluxe hotel rooms and stick to studios - they don't suddenly take extra trips or bring family - if they stay in a room with a kitchen, they make more use out of it than cocoa puffs in the morning and save on dining expenses.

I see nothing in your post that leads me to believe you are driven to this primarily because it will be cheap (it won't be), but that you believe it will be better (it likely will).

I will take someone's post above on the ugly and expand - Disney is a business. DVC is a division of that business - specifically the timeshare arm - if the word timeshare scares you, well, that is the reality of DVC - it isn't a club, or a piece of the Mouse (buy stock if you want that), its a timeshare. When you are tied to them a little closer through a decades long legal contract, sometimes you see the underbelly of the business perhaps much closer than someone booking a pixie dust package will. They'll make decisions not because they bring us delight, but because they maximize profitability - in some cases, those two might intersect and we are all happy. In other cases, we are disappointed. They also have a legal obligation to be good stewards of our dues - which means that what delights you needs to be paid for by all of us - if its not going to delight the majority of us and give us value for our dues - DVC isn't likely to do it.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: