DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
madhavok
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4

First time DVC buyer help

Hello all. I'm looking to buy into DVC through resale and am quite impressed with some of the deals members have confirmed in the ROFR thread. I'm familiar with a couple of the resale websites but it seems many are getting prices quite a bit lower than advertised, and some including closing costs / maintenance fees.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here, either reply or PM? I'm hoping to get into DVC as I have a couple young kids who will enjoy Disney for years to come.

Thank You,
M.
madhavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,531

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhavok View Post
Hello all. I'm looking to buy into DVC through resale and am quite impressed with some of the deals members have confirmed in the ROFR thread. I'm familiar with a couple of the resale websites but it seems many are getting prices quite a bit lower than advertised, and some including closing costs / maintenance fees.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here, either reply or PM? I'm hoping to get into DVC as I have a couple young kids who will enjoy Disney for years to come.

Thank You,
M.
Resales seem to be a seller's market right now. So you might wind up offering what the owner asked. Ask the agent you work with what they are seeing right now.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 7,988

yeah, resales are still a good deal relative to direct pricing, but i'd hang out on the boards for a few months to get a sense of how things work and what current owners like and don't like...and just be patient and wait to see if prices come down a bit.

you can feel free to offer less than the asking price and see how it goes, but as the economy is stabilizing, fewer sellers are in a hurry to unload their contracts...
__________________
-Charles

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,972

One thing to keep in mind is that the ROFR thread is a bit of a "bragging board" where people go to share their great deals. In all likelihood, someone who paid a high price for a contract is less likely to post their information, thus skewing the numbers a bit. That being said, the listing prices are simply asking price, and many, many sellers will take a few dollars less per point than what they are advertising. Good luck with your research and your purchasing decision.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
SFlaDisneyfans
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that the ROFR thread is a bit of a "bragging board" where people go to share their great deals. In all likelihood, someone who paid a high price for a contract is less likely to post their information, thus skewing the numbers a bit. That being said, the listing prices are simply asking price, and many, many sellers will take a few dollars less per point than what they are advertising. Good luck with your research and your purchasing decision.
We never thought of the ROFR thread as a sort of bragging board (though I see your point). When we were researching our first resale purchase, we followed it to track what members were actually paying per point since the websites will only show asking price. We felt it helped us as we made offers on contracts.
SFlaDisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
lorie13
Mouseketeer
 
lorie13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 190

I found the resale board a valuable tool. It showed me what contracts had actually not only been accepted by owners but what Disney let through ROFR. After looking through all the closed sales I decided what I wanted to pay for a contract. I charted it all out in an excel file. I wanted something not the lowest nor the highest. We started making offers in May and probably made about a dozen or so offers. Some owners countered, some flatly refused. Finally the first week of July I agreed on a contract with an owner through Fidelity. We have now passed ROFR and signed closing docs. Waiting for recording.
Also when determining the value of the resale contract I looked at what points were available with it, I gave those points a value of $11 each which is what can easily be received from renting them out. If dues were to be paid on those points, then I subtracted them from the rental value. To me that was the true per point value of the contact. I did not take into account the years left on it though. I did not consider stripped contracts.
It is really a sellers market (just like real estate in our area). Whether this continues or is only a mini bubble, no one can tell for sure.
My opinion is if you have time offer what you feel comfortable with, if you want a contract now be willing to be pay more.
Good Luck
__________________
lorie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFlaDisneyfans View Post
We never thought of the ROFR thread as a sort of bragging board (though I see your point). When we were researching our first resale purchase, we followed it to track what members were actually paying per point since the websites will only show asking price. We felt it helped us as we made offers on contracts.
Don't get me wrong, it's an incredibly useful tool. However, after tracking it for several years I can say that I have seen many, many higher priced deals that somehow fail to show up on the ROFR boards. While it is helpful, I think it's important for prospective buyers to understand the context of the information as well as the fact that it is an incomplete data set. The information on that thread is predominantly the lower end of the price range for recent resales. For every few people who have shared their experience on how valuable it has been, there have been others who have been frustrated because they have not been able to equal the deals found on that thread and couldn't understand why.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
SFlaDisneyfans
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post

Don't get me wrong, it's an incredibly useful tool. However, after tracking it for several years I can say that I have seen many, many higher priced deals that somehow fail to show up on the ROFR boards. While it is helpful, I think it's important for prospective buyers to understand the context of the information as well as the fact that it is an incomplete data set. The information on that thread is predominantly the lower end of the price range for recent resales. For every few people who have shared their experience on how valuable it has been, there have been others who have been frustrated because they have not been able to equal the deals found on that thread and couldn't understand why.
Good insight. Something we will factor in when we start to shop for our next contract. Thanks.
SFlaDisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #9
Lil' Grumpy
Lil' Grumpy is really a Big Sweetie
 
Lil' Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: chillicothe,oh
Posts: 2,778

maybe, just maybe ...the reporting isn't accurate.

fyi~ when i first came here ( not the dis but the dvc section)
i was interested in all the postings great deals. but when i
compared the claims with what was being offered by
the tss store, there were major differences in $ &
sense. (making). so i lost interest.

but the way i see it...the "offers" belong to a member @ one
time that brought direct. i think the majority knows what they
paid...& when i apply that logic to what we own.....i know
i would not "give"/accept such a low offer for something
that has a higher buyer.

the other rule i used in our purchase, is deciding what is right
for us....regardless the popular opinions.
__________________
& = + +
Lil' Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:56 AM   #10
PCMama
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Grumpy
maybe, just maybe ...the reporting isn't accurate.

fyi~ when i first came here ( not the dis but the dvc section)
i was interested in all the postings great deals. but when i
compared the claims with what was being offered by
the tss store, there were major differences in $ &
sense. (making). so i lost interest.

but the way i see it...the "offers" belong to a member @ one
time that brought direct. i think the majority knows what they
paid...& when i apply that logic to what we own.....i know
i would not "give"/accept such a low offer for something
that has a higher buyer.

the other rule i used in our purchase, is deciding what is right
for us....regardless the popular opinions.
Prices on TTS are just asking prices. I recently closed on a vgc contract that I offered at $14 ppt below asking.
PCMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
DisneyDiana
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyDiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 522

I just sold a contract through TTS last week. Less than 10 hours after it posted I had a full price offer. I priced fairly and decided to wait for a full offer. Unless you want a larger contract or one is priced a lot higher than other comparable contracts I don't think there is much wiggle room right now.
__________________
DisneyDiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #12
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator
 
Chuck S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Seguin, Texas USA
Posts: 25,808
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMama View Post
Prices on TTS are just asking prices. I recently closed on a vgc contract that I offered at $14 ppt below asking.
Exactly! You make an offer, and the owner either accepts it or counter-offers. Just like any other real estate purchase.

If a particular owner is desperate to sell, or the points are in jeopardy for some missed payments or dues, it is likely they may accept a low ball offer to get out from under the debt. Or in some cases there may be an estate, divorce, or other legal issues that they want resolved quickly. You never know what the personal situation with a seller may be.
__________________

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #13
SFlaDisneyfans
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 156

Prices can't be painted with a single paintbrush either way. Neither are all the deals people post or all the asking prices listed in sites gospel. I am sure there are deals at prices people don't post and I am sure some contracts sell for much less than listed. I noticed one day someone selling a resale BLT contract for 160$ pp. I am gonna go out on a limb and guess it won't sell for asking price. Our contract at SSR ended up 4$ less than asking. After an offer and counter we agreed on 64$.

It was not our first attempt, we had been rebuffed on previous contracts as those sellers wanted asking price only. As in most things, if you are willing to sit back and wait you can save yourself money. Don't be afraid to make reasonable offers. The biggest thing we used the ROFR thread for was to help us establish in our minds what a reasonable offer ballpark was.
SFlaDisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
debedo
Earning My Ears
 
debedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 36

When we purchase a dvc resale, it lists the month which begins your usage year. Do we have to book out vacation in that month or can we book out vacation any month?
__________________
AS 2007
POR 2010
POR 2012
POR 2013
POR/BWV 2014

debedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran
 
BLTtinkerbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 1,725

Quote:
Originally Posted by debedo
When we purchase a dvc resale, it lists the month which begins your usage year. Do we have to book out vacation in that month or can we book out vacation any month?
You can go anytime you want. Book home resort 11 months before trip, other DVC resorts 7 months before trip.
__________________
BLTtinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.