DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #16
mrsp1030
DIS Veteran

So as I will have enough points by my stay I can still make a reservation at my home resort 11 months out, correct?
mrsp1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp1030 View Post
So as I will have enough points by my stay I can still make a reservation at my home resort 11 months out, correct?
Let's say you buy 125 points with an April Use Year (UY) and want to book a 200 point stay for November at your Home Resort.

11 months before, in December, you log onto dvcmember.com to book your stay. At that moment in time, you have 0 points available. But the system is smart enough to know that you have 125 points coming in April. It automatically assumes you want to use those 125 points and asks you if you want to borrow another 75 from the year after that.

It's important to know that once you borrow points, you cannot "unborrow" them. They have to be used in that year. With an April UY, that means they have to be used by March 31. Otherwise, they are gone even though you still have to pay for them.

The danger in borrowing is that if your vacation plans change, you need to either book another vacation quickly or rent them out to someone on short notice, which usually means at a lower price.

Remember, DVC is a forced vacation scheme. If you combine banking and borrowing, you can vacation as infrequently as once every three years. But you can't accumulate points indefinitely. You will have to use (or sell) them at least once every 3 years.

It's also possible to transfer points to another DVC member but banked & borrowed points cannot be transferred.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Last edited by Nabas; 08-02-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #18
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas View Post
Let's say you buy 125 points with an April Use Year (UY) and want to book a 200 point stay for November.

11 months before, in December, you log onto dvcmember.com to book your stay. At that moment in time, you have 0 points available. But the system is smart enough to know that you have 125 points coming in April. It automatically assumes you want to use those 125 points and asks you if you want to borrow another 75 from the year after that.

It's important to know that once you borrow points, you cannot "unborrow" them. They have to be used in that year. With an April UY, that means they have to be used by March 31. Otherwise, they are gone even though you still have to pay for them.

The danger in borrowing is that if your vacation plans change, you need to either book another vacation quickly or rent them out to someone on short notice, which usually means at a lower price.

Remember, DVC is a forced vacation scheme. If you combine banking and borrowing, you can vacation as infrequently as once every three years. But you can't accumulate points indefinitely. You will have to use (or sell) them at least once every 3 years.

It's also possible to transfer points to another DVC member but banked & borrowed points cannot be transferred.

Please let me know if you have other questions.
You wouldn't be borrowing the points for a stay during that UY. You only borrow if you need points from the next UY to make your stay during the current UY.

In your example, you book a stay (11 months out) in Dec 2013 (during your April 2013 UY) for Nov 2014 (during your April 2014 UY). You have an April UY. So you use your April 2014 points for the Nov 2014 trip. If you need more, you borrow from April 2015 to make your reservation. If you have enough points in your April 2014 UY, you don't borrow any.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #19
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp1030 View Post
in addition to the answers above, you may also want to read and bookmark this thread for further reference:

Understanding Use Year

chalee94 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: