Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

Picture of ABD duffle bag?

Anyone have a picture of the duffle you get on checking in handy? Trying to decide whether it might be big enough to serve as a backup bag to check if necessary on the way home. I googled but couldn't find anything.
CaliforniaGirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
jjharts
Mouseketeer

10/2014 - Caribbean Beach Resort, 6/2014- Fantasy eastern Caribbean/Bay Lake Towers, 6/2013 - abd Scotland, 12/2012 - Grand Californian, 6/2012 - Magic (Canada), 9/2011 - Bay Lake Towers, 6/2011 - Animal Kingdom Lodge/Vero Beach, 4/2010 - Grand Californian/Paradise Pier/Disneyland Hotel, 12/2009 - Poly/AKL/Wonder, 6/2008 - Wilderness Lodge/Animal Kingdom/Boardwalk, 2005 - Wilderness Lodge/Polynesian/Wonder, 2003 - Polynesian/Animal Kingdom Lodge, 1994 & 1976 - offsite
jjharts is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

Wow, what a great picture! Thank you so much for doing that and for getting the measuring sticks in there--really really helpful. I think those can definitely serve as additional checked bags if we need them. Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
jjharts
Mouseketeer

Here is a picture of the endsof the bag when it is all collapsed down:

this side has a pocket

this side has a mesh pocket

(I am trying to teach myself how to post pictures today - thought it was about time I learned!!)
10/2014 - Caribbean Beach Resort, 6/2014- Fantasy eastern Caribbean/Bay Lake Towers, 6/2013 - abd Scotland, 12/2012 - Grand Californian, 6/2012 - Magic (Canada), 9/2011 - Bay Lake Towers, 6/2011 - Animal Kingdom Lodge/Vero Beach, 4/2010 - Grand Californian/Paradise Pier/Disneyland Hotel, 12/2009 - Poly/AKL/Wonder, 6/2008 - Wilderness Lodge/Animal Kingdom/Boardwalk, 2005 - Wilderness Lodge/Polynesian/Wonder, 2003 - Polynesian/Animal Kingdom Lodge, 1994 & 1976 - offsite
Old 07-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjharts View Post
(I am trying to teach myself how to post pictures today - thought it was about time I learned!!)
Ooo! Does that mean you'll be posting a Trip Report? :D

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

Awesome! Love all the pics thank you!
Old 08-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
WDWMaggie
Earning My Ears

I just got my box for our Montana trip yesterday and my bag was completely different. It was a green backpack type of bag.

I wonder why they are different? Does it depend on the trip?
Old 08-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
jjharts
Mouseketeer

We received the backpacks in our box and then got the duffle as a welcome gift when we checked in with our guides on the first night of our tour. You get one duffle per family.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
skaminsk
Earning My Ears

We received "cheap" green "backpacks," and I have to say I'm quite disappointed. They have no structure and a sort of drawstring closing mechanism -- no zipper. It does not seem at all useful for an international trip. Was hoping for a school-style backpack -- something to use not only during the days on the trip but also as carry-ons for the plane. But there's no way we can use the green "backpacks" for that -- everything would be falling out all over the place. I'm looking forward to our first ABD trip (next week) but was quite disappointed in the famous "box," which just included our itinerary and the cheap bags (for the ABD price tag, I was expecting everything to be high end).
skaminsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaminsk View Post
We received "cheap" green "backpacks," and I have to say I'm quite disappointed. They have no structure and a sort of drawstring closing mechanism -- no zipper. It does not seem at all useful for an international trip. Was hoping for a school-style backpack -- something to use not only during the days on the trip but also as carry-ons for the plane. But there's no way we can use the green "backpacks" for that -- everything would be falling out all over the place. I'm looking forward to our first ABD trip (next week) but was quite disappointed in the famous "box," which just included our itinerary and the cheap bags (for the ABD price tag, I was expecting everything to be high end).
Agreed. Those green bags were worthless and certainly looked like someone was trying to save money. I tossed ours. I liked the backpack they gave last year. I still use it as my primary travel backpack. The orange duffle that we received on the trip was nice as well. It seems to be designed as a backup bag when you've bought one too many souvenirs.

Destination D WDW Nov 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
ABD Australia Jul 2015
Cousin Orville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the pic!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaminsk View Post
The boxes used to be more fun. You'd get a countdown calendar for your trip, other little trinkets, and nice backpacks. They've definitely cut way back on them, which is a shame. They also send them much closer to the actual trip. Not sure why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
Agreed. Those green bags were worthless and certainly looked like someone was trying to save money. I tossed ours. I liked the backpack they gave last year. I still use it as my primary travel backpack. The orange duffle that we received on the trip was nice as well. It seems to be designed as a backup bag when you've bought one too many souvenirs.
I was told that the backpacks were chosen by the past VP of ABD. He thought they were wonderful. It really was not a "cheapness" factor. I think the thought was how wonderful it was to have a backpack that you could easily pack, vs the big backpacks that took up so much room. The fact that they weren't much use when you actually got to your destination may not have occurred to him.

Hopefully they go back to more traditional backpacks next year!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post

I was told that the backpacks were chosen by the past VP of ABD. He thought they were wonderful. It really was not a "cheapness" factor. I think the thought was how wonderful it was to have a backpack that you could easily pack, vs the big backpacks that took up so much room. The fact that they weren't much use when you actually got to your destination may not have occurred to him.

Hopefully they go back to more traditional backpacks next year!

Sayhello
I have read that he thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread and I do truly believe it was a cost factor. Ithink they are so hideous that when I get mine I plan to send mine to this Vp since he likes them so much he can have mine along with a piece of my mind about a few issues with ABD
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

We are on our trip right now (having a great time on the Scotland Adventure), and I, too, find the new backpacks disappointing. It might be nice to have one of them for a backup backpack, but they definitely don't work as a substitute for a carry on or day bag. There are basically no zippers (other than a useless one at top), and you have to dig around in them to find anything because of the lack of structure. We still have the suede bottom backpack we received on our first adventure (2007), and it is SO much nicer. Options would have been nice.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
lovetotravel
Earning My Ears

I agree I did not like the green backpack. They are like the cheap string free bags. Even filled up, they flop over and won't even stand upright. My kids are using them as summer camp bags. They have no other purpose.
lovetotravel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: