Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #2461
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 23,684

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
They have the tests listed and comparing them from 6 months ago. The letter says I am WNL for thy ca patients.

The thyroglobulin is less than 0.2 but the tsh has gone from .34 to .86. Should I worry about that? Does that indicate that I should be more tired etc? I tell her how tired I am and she doesnt seem to care etc. She just says you are always like that. etc. The weight is also getting to be an issue too. Sometimes I feel like I wake up and never have slept.

Well chime in with your thoughts and insights.

luvmarypoppins: the change in your TSH is fairly minor. It is a change and could be indicative just anything. However, most non-thyroid cancer people, are normally at 2.0 and that is considered the "ideal" TSH. At .86, you are not considered hyperthyroid and this number would not make you tired.

I don't know your age, but I know you have college aged kids and I'd be more inclined to think you have perimenopause or hormonal issues than TSH issues.

I don't sleep more than 5 hours a night most nights anymore due to this an am always lethargic. But my 40/50-ish ladies around me are all feeling the same way.

As for the calcium, that is something that can flucuate daily so I'm not sure what to make of that, if anything.
__________________
Christine

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #2462
SingingMom
DIS Veteran
 
SingingMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post

luvmarypoppins: the change in your TSH is fairly minor. It is a change and could be indicative just anything. However, most non-thyroid cancer people, are normally at 2.0 and that is considered the "ideal" TSH. At .86, you are not considered hyperthyroid and this number would not make you tired.

I don't know your age, but I know you have college aged kids and I'd be more inclined to think you have perimenopause or hormonal issues than TSH issues.

I don't sleep more than 5 hours a night most nights anymore due to this an am always lethargic. But my 40/50-ish ladies around me are all feeling the same way.

As for the calcium, that is something that can flucuate daily so I'm not sure what to make of that, if anything.
I am 50 and feeling the same way - tired, don't sleep. Last year developed high blood pressure out of nowhere.
Last week, had a major hot flash while climbing the hill to a castle on our Adventures by Disney tour in Germany. Thought I would pass out from being so hot. Perimenopause is the pits after being a thyroid cancer survivor! Lol

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
SingingMom


08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #2463
FWAddict
Earning My Ears
 
FWAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southside Virginia
Posts: 14

Smile Just saw this thread.........

Wow! This thread is over 6 years old and still going! I'm glad I found it too. I've only gotten in a few pages and I'm sure it'll take me quite a while to read all of it but I can relate to a lot of what I've read already! Officially I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism last June; I mean that's when I was TOLD that I had it. The doctor gave me a few pages of my records at that visit and I read through them when I got home. Imagine my surprise AND anger when I read that I had actually been diagnosed in 2011 but obviously the doctor didn't feel it necessary to tell ME! I was going to a practice with multiple doctors and the doctor who actually told me I had it wasn't the one who actually diagnosed it. I'm sure there are some of you out there who understand how confusing and frustrating it is to wonder what in the world is wrong with you!!! The feeling of being unbalanced, heart palpitations, not being able to sleep for long or even taking forever to go to sleep, etc. I finally struck out and changed doctors and was sent to an Endo. about an hour and half away. However, she is wonderful! She's very patient and has no problem answering any question I have and doesn't rush through my visit. That is especially important to me because I have no health insurance and have to pay for everything out-of-pocket. I'm sure ya'll know how expensive specialists can be. I can't afford the scan she wants me to get so for the time being I'm on 20 mg of methimazole a day. She upped it from 10 to 20 after my 2nd visit since 10 didn't change my readings. I go back in September so hopefully the increase in meds will have helped. Hope so anyway! Anyone having pain in their hands?? Over the last couple years my hands have gotten worse with arthritis-like pain. For the last few months it's been bad enough at times that it keeps me from going to sleep. Also the ring fingers on both hands are getting 'stuck' in the bent position; that is when I can bend them. I haven't been able to actually bend the one on my right hand for weeks now. My sister mentioned something called 'trigger finger'. I looked it up but I'm a bit confused about that. Apparently it's usually caused by repetitive behavior and other than typing on my laptop I don't do anything that's really repetitive. It's really frustrating because it affects how I use my hands. It's almost impossible to hold a knife correctly in order to peel potatoes, etc. Is this a problem with any of ya'll? I also am recovering from chronic anemia due to extreme menorrhagia resulting in 2 blood transfusions so I'm exhausted all of the time. It's a shame to feel like you're 100 when you're only 46. Oh I forgot something..........found out this weird pain in my foot is plantar fasciitis. Also, my pain threshold is non-existent. I used to be able to deal with pain; now every little thing really bothers me. I'm waiting on my next test results now because I need some dental work done and will have to have it done under sedation. They can't numb me enough right now. The dentist said my metabolism must be revved up like a race car!
__________________

Last edited by FWAddict; 07-28-2013 at 07:44 PM.
FWAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #2464
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Husker living in Hoosierland.
Posts: 9,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post

mrsklamc: I'm sorry to hear about your bad news. Hopefully this will just resolve itself but the waiting can be devastating in and of itself. When I was pregnant with my daughter, one of my genetic tests came back indicative of a disorder. I then had to go to the "big city" hospital and work with a geneticist and have more testing done. It took forever and by the time I figured out that all was well, I was about 24 weeks pregnant. It was very scary. It really just kind of ruins what should be a very happy time.
Exactly. I was kind of 'non functional' for a day and then started forcing myself to continue on looking at baby stuff, etc like I was. Statistics vary widely but I think the truth is they really don't know. I've seen as high as 91% quoted as the termination rate w/o any additional testing so there's probably not a lot of motivation to research very much.

So glad you found some levoxyl. I hoard all my old doseages of synthroid, I know it's just paranoia but....
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #2465
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Husker living in Hoosierland.
Posts: 9,500

Thank you everyone for the prayers and positive thoughts. The waiting is awful but I'm in a much better place than I was.

LMP- I can't speak to your #s but I am so sorry you are going through this. That 'never rested' feeling is awful.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #2466
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,908

Hmm, well is anyone here with thy ca going to comment on the thread on the comm board about the fastest growing cancer.

I am just reading a long right now. Remember we had that little discussion here about what we think caused our cancer????

Seems they are saying fluoridated water from that article quoted in the thread.

Well I grew up on well water but I know there was a dumping ground from a medical company that produced drugs etc not too far away and then all the x rays that I got as a teen with scoliosis and they were centered on my neck, not all of them but quite a few as they were deciding what to do with the c curve in my neck - hmm should we halo or not halo this etc??

Or maybe it was the red hawaiian punch???

We will never know will we???

Feel free to discuss.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #2467
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Husker living in Hoosierland.
Posts: 9,500

I came over here to see if you guys saw that. Honestly, the cancer that fluoride is even SUSPECTED of causing is osteosarcoma.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #2468
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 23,684

I think the OP of that thread has her own agenda in regards to flouride. I don't believe the article even mentioned it.

There's a whole "internet" thing on flouride.
__________________
Christine

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #2469
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Hmm, well is anyone here with thy ca going to comment on the thread on the comm board about the fastest growing cancer.

I am just reading a long right now. Remember we had that little discussion here about what we think caused our cancer????

Seems they are saying fluoridated water from that article quoted in the thread.

Well I grew up on well water but I know there was a dumping ground from a medical company that produced drugs etc not too far away and then all the x rays that I got as a teen with scoliosis and they were centered on my neck, not all of them but quite a few as they were deciding what to do with the c curve in my neck - hmm should we halo or not halo this etc??

Or maybe it was the red hawaiian punch???

We will never know will we???

Feel free to discuss.
I have thyroid cancer now and I drink only bottled water because our well water is awful. There is no flouride in the bottled water I drink either. I also did not get many xrays in my life at all. I never broke a bone and hate to admit I had not been to a dentist in probably 15 years before last year. I do live near a nuclear power plant however. My aunt thinks all the cancers are due to Monsanto and their modification and chemical in the fields. I have no clue what the cause of my cancer is all I know is I want that crap out of me. One more sleep and it's gone, I pray.
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #2470
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWAddict View Post
Wow! This thread is over 6 years old and still going! I'm glad I found it too. I've only gotten in a few pages and I'm sure it'll take me quite a while to read all of it but I can relate to a lot of what I've read already! Officially I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism last June; I mean that's when I was TOLD that I had it. The doctor gave me a few pages of my records at that visit and I read through them when I got home. Imagine my surprise AND anger when I read that I had actually been diagnosed in 2011 but obviously the doctor didn't feel it necessary to tell ME! I was going to a practice with multiple doctors and the doctor who actually told me I had it wasn't the one who actually diagnosed it. I'm sure there are some of you out there who understand how confusing and frustrating it is to wonder what in the world is wrong with you!!! The feeling of being unbalanced, heart palpitations, not being able to sleep for long or even taking forever to go to sleep, etc. I finally struck out and changed doctors and was sent to an Endo. about an hour and half away. However, she is wonderful! She's very patient and has no problem answering any question I have and doesn't rush through my visit. That is especially important to me because I have no health insurance and have to pay for everything out-of-pocket. I'm sure ya'll know how expensive specialists can be. I can't afford the scan she wants me to get so for the time being I'm on 20 mg of methimazole a day. She upped it from 10 to 20 after my 2nd visit since 10 didn't change my readings. I go back in September so hopefully the increase in meds will have helped. Hope so anyway! Anyone having pain in their hands?? Over the last couple years my hands have gotten worse with arthritis-like pain. For the last few months it's been bad enough at times that it keeps me from going to sleep. Also the ring fingers on both hands are getting 'stuck' in the bent position; that is when I can bend them. I haven't been able to actually bend the one on my right hand for weeks now. My sister mentioned something called 'trigger finger'. I looked it up but I'm a bit confused about that. Apparently it's usually caused by repetitive behavior and other than typing on my laptop I don't do anything that's really repetitive. It's really frustrating because it affects how I use my hands. It's almost impossible to hold a knife correctly in order to peel potatoes, etc. Is this a problem with any of ya'll? I also am recovering from chronic anemia due to extreme menorrhagia resulting in 2 blood transfusions so I'm exhausted all of the time. It's a shame to feel like you're 100 when you're only 46. Oh I forgot something..........found out this weird pain in my foot is plantar fasciitis. Also, my pain threshold is non-existent. I used to be able to deal with pain; now every little thing really bothers me. I'm waiting on my next test results now because I need some dental work done and will have to have it done under sedation. They can't numb me enough right now. The dentist said my metabolism must be revved up like a race car!
I have hypothyroidism and Hoshimoto's and have had it for almost 20 years. Now I have thyroid cancer so there is not a lot of symptoms I have that should be the same as yours, sorry. I have had problems with joints and such but I don't know if it was thyroid related. Like others here I am 44 and have the perimenopausal symptoms of lack of sleep and being exhausted all the time and I have always and forever had weight issues despite watching my calories and working out. I have noticed even people with the same diagnosis can have some completely different symptoms and then some similar. I think it just depends on how that whole region of the metabolism works including not only the thyroid but the pituitary and thalamus region.

I will urge you to get the ultrasound or whatever scan your doctor recommends. I too do not have insurance so I get it but had I put off my scan my cancer would still be growing. Call the hospital and ask for their financial department and explain your situation and what your doctor wants and ask if they can help you. Try to find a non for profit hospital as the for profits most likely will do nothing for you. Some won't even take payments. If you don't want to do that start putting aside any cash you can till you have enough for that scan. The hospital should be able to tell you the cost of the scan but not the cost for the specialists doing and reading it.

I wish you luck with the dentist too.
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #2471
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,908

angwill - wishing you all the best tomm. Sending prayers your way.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #2472
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
angwill - wishing you all the best tomm. Sending prayers your way.
Thank you. If all goes well I will be out Wednesday evening.
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #2473
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Husker living in Hoosierland.
Posts: 9,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
Thank you. If all goes well I will be out Wednesday evening.
Praying for your surgery!
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:29 PM   #2474
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!
 
angwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,726

I am back home and the cancer is out. Yeah!!! They did find a second smaller nodule inside the other portion of my thyroid that the large cancer mass. The doctor said he didn't see any of my parathyroid glands in what he removed. My voice is really horse and he told me when I stop talking it will get better. I didn't shut up while high on the meds I guess. lol He said there was very little bleeding which is a good sign the cancer had not spread and he didn't seem to see any lymph node issues while in there so his best guess is it was contained in the mass. Yeah!!! Only one round of radioactive iodine is needed and oddly enough the endo who is working with me and my sugeon said he doesn't do the LID diet before iodine but if I want to do it I was welcome to do so. One the Utube video I saw with the director of the Thyroid Cancer org said the diet is controversial too. I think I will follow the diet for two weeks before radiation on my own.

I am so relieved that the cancerous mass it out of there and in a jar right now. lol

My calcium was just a tad low at 4.3 and 4.5 when normal is 4.6. They sent me home with pain meds and the order to keep taking my normal daily calcium pill. Here I was worried that my doctor had only done 1 of these a year and he was awsome.

Thank you for all the good wishes.

Angela
__________________
AngAlWill Angel:
angwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #2475
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,908

FW Addict - sorry you are dealing with so many issues all at once.

I had severe anemia before I was diagnosed with thy ca and had to have 3 blood transfusions too.

I know the hyper feeling and heart palpatations. I had to be like that for a while with the meds due to the thy ca but my meds are much lowered now and seem to be ok and bearable for the dosage.

I hope your visit goes well in Sept. and maybe your dr. can make a suggestion if you cant do the scan.

Wishing you all the best.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: