Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #2596
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2lt View Post
Back to the Airline talk..... I booked the other day and it cost a fortune, but it was the only way I could guarantee getting the 1 nonstop flight they do a day because I am traveling alone and REALLY didn't want to attempt to navigate ATL by myself, nor did taking 6 hours (with layovers) appeal to me Now I am terrified and keep having the nightmare that I arrive at the airport and they have over booked the flight and bump me I am already cutting it crazy close by flying out on Friday morning ( have to get to the EXPO that day to pick up my bib for the 10k Saturday). On the way home, it wont be as big of an issue ( I am flying out Sunday night), but is there any way to avoid getting bumped? I paid the extra for the early bird check in, hoping to avoid all this, because this could be potentially disastrous ! What happens if they cancel the flight??? Anyone have that happened? I know I am worrying way to much on "what if's", but this would be just my luck. Spend a fortune on all this and put all the training in and miss the entire thing
Not sure you said what airline you booked, but I wouldn't "worry", rather try to be "prepared". First, don't bother looking at seat maps trying to figure out if a flight is full--they are irrelevant. My sister is a pilot , and the only thing that she looks at is flight loads. The agent on the phone will be able to give you an indication if the flight is full, so you could try calling a day or two before your flight to ask.

Next....do you already have a seat? If so, you are in better position than those with unassigned seats. If you don't-and you can choose one- then select it now. If you are flying something like SW, then you have already taken the step of doing early boarding--which will help.

Next, I generally fly Delta (since they have a hub in DTW) and have experienced the situation during online check-in where the flight has been full and they have asked whether I would be willing to take a bump and at what price. They use this info at the gate IF it becomes necessary. This dovetails with the required policy of asking for volunteers first before doing involuntary bumps. Believe me, it's cheaper for the airline to take volunteers.

Finally, ID some alternative flights that would work for you. That way, if the worst happened, you would now what the options are that would work for YOU,not the airline, and could press for one of those. Example, since you paid for a non-stop flight, I would not want to settle for a connecting flight, or would expect compensation.

Honestly, I think bumps are more rare than weather delays (especially in winter), which I do try to keep an eye on.

Maura
Old 07-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #2597
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
Cool!!!! What are the chances they sell out early??
Chances of sell out are 100%...unless they learned from this year and decide to bring more inventory to the expos this time. I got mine in January at the Tink expo...had to wait outside in a line for 2 hours starting at 6am just to get a voucher to come back later and be guaranteed a pair. and at 6am, I was already like 25th or so in line! Pure madness, but there's not much I wouldn't do for a cute pair of shoes... Count on me being out there at Tink in 2014 again...at least I'll have a second chance in February if I miss out!

If you miss out, there are ALWAYS several pair on ebay...if you're willing to pay triple.

I actaully wore mine to work yesterday...it's been a rough week with loooong days at work with a software conversion so they let us go casual...people were asking me about them all day long! They are definitely eye-catching...can't wait to see a new design next year.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #2598
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Chances of sell out are 100%...unless they learned from this year and decide to bring more inventory to the expos this time. I got mine in January at the Tink expo...had to wait outside in a line for 2 hours starting at 6am just to get a voucher to come back later and be guaranteed a pair. and at 6am, I was already like 25th or so in line! Pure madness, but there's not much I wouldn't do for a cute pair of shoes... Count on me being out there at Tink in 2014 again...at least I'll have a second chance in February if I miss out!

If you miss out, there are ALWAYS several pair on ebay...if you're willing to pay triple.

I actaully wore mine to work yesterday...it's been a rough week with loooong days at work with a software conversion so they let us go casual...people were asking me about them all day long! They are definitely eye-catching...can't wait to see a new design next year.
Did the Tink EXPO begin at noon also? And people lined up at 6am? Yikes! I can't wait to see the new design!! We were thinking of driving in Thursday AM (since I teach, and getting two days off in a row is already going to be close to impossible,) but maybe we'll have to drive in late Wednesday so we can be ready for the EXPO madness. It's just hard to justify another couple hundred $$ for a hotel room when we wouldn't get there until 11:00.
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 07-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #2599
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Did the Tink EXPO begin at noon also? And people lined up at 6am? Yikes! I can't wait to see the new design!! We were thinking of driving in Thursday AM (since I teach, and getting two days off in a row is already going to be close to impossible,) but maybe we'll have to drive in late Wednesday so we can be ready for the EXPO madness. It's just hard to justify another couple hundred $$ for a hotel room when we wouldn't get there until 11:00.
I'm not entirely sure...i flew in around noon-ish on a friday, settled in at the hotel and then went to the expo. Of course, they were sold out of Friday's alottment by then, but I checked. It was saturday that I got in line at 6am. They handed out vouchers starting around 8 I think...you had to tell them what size you wanted (no try-ons) and that's what you got a voucher for. Then, you could bring that voucher back anytime before 2pm (or was it 3pm...one of those) and be guaranteed that size shoe. Once the deadline passed, whatever was left was open to anyone to buy, first-come, first-served. I know that time my BF was in line with me to get a pair and it ended up that when we went back to get the shoes once the expo opened for the day, the size that he got a voucher for didn't fit well, so he ended up not getting a pair that trip. Thankfully, I snagged him a pair at the Princess expo the following month...didn't have to wait in a crazy line for that one...men's sizes were easier to get at PHM and I want to say they said they were bringing a much bigger supply to PHM than they did to Tink. BUT, there was still a looooong line at PHM for them one afternoon...they said they had sold out that AM but were expecting another small shipment that afternoon, so that's what folks were lined up waiting for. It was crazy...hoping if the poularity continues they may consider making them available for pre-purchase at time of registration like they did with the Dooney's. Although that may not work becuase the shoes are actually sold by New Balance and the purses are sold through Disney in their merchandise booth.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #2600
STILLWISHING
WDW Fan since 1973

I booked my outbound flight today- yay!! Arrive at 12:00 on Friday should I head straight to the expo?

AMY
Old 07-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #2601
MRS AR
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE="pixarmom;49074989"]

Great question - I was wondering the same!

We we t to the expo on Friday last year and bought more than I should have. It isn't impossible but be prepared to spend time there. . I'm hoping things will go smoother at WWOS
Old 07-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #2602
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STILLWISHING View Post
I booked my outbound flight today- yay!! Arrive at 12:00 on Friday should I head straight to the expo?
Unless you have something else planned, you may as well head over once you get checked in. This year for both Tink and Princess I flew in on Friday AM and was able to be at the expos by 1pm. I found in doing that I was able to walk right up to the counters to get my race number and then walk over to get the gear check bag and tech shirt...both with NO wait. In previous years, I've flown in late Friday and gone to the expo at open time on saturday. If you aim to get there either day as soon as it opens, expect a LOOOOOOONG line to start forming early just to get in. Also, there's nothing that says you can't head for the vendors and shop before you get all your race stuff...doesn't really matter but most tend to run for their race number first, and if you're there early to buy a hot item that you think will sell out, then go for it and get your race stuff after you've shopped.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #2603
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Unless you have something else planned, you may as well head over once you get checked in. This year for both Tink and Princess I flew in on Friday AM and was able to be at the expos by 1pm. I found in doing that I was able to walk right up to the counters to get my race number and then walk over to get the gear check bag and tech shirt...both with NO wait. In previous years, I've flown in late Friday and gone to the expo at open time on saturday. If you aim to get there either day as soon as it opens, expect a LOOOOOOONG line to start forming early just to get in. Also, there's nothing that says you can't head for the vendors and shop before you get all your race stuff...doesn't really matter but most tend to run for their race number first, and if you're there early to buy a hot item that you think will sell out, then go for it and get your race stuff after you've shopped.
Very helpful - thank you! Our flight arrives at 1:45 on Thursday, and by the time we take ME to Poly, check in and get on the bus to the expo, it will be 4pm at the earliest. I'll be on my own with the boys until my husband arrives Saturday night, so no shopping for me - my plan is to grab our race bags/bib and go. Maybe I can shop at the DL HM expo next month instead!

Just curious - do the buses run between the resorts and expo only, or is it possible to take a bus direct from the expo to a park?
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
April 2015: WL and AOA!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #2604
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
Very helpful - thank you! Our flight arrives at 1:45 on Thursday, and by the time we take ME to Poly, check in and get on the bus to the expo, it will be 4pm at the earliest. I'll be on my own with the boys until my husband arrives Saturday night, so no shopping for me - my plan is to grab our race bags/bib and go. Maybe I can shop at the DL HM expo next month instead!

Just curious - do the buses run between the resorts and expo only, or is it possible to take a bus direct to a park?
In my experience, the expos at DL have been much more laid back...still get crowded, but never seem to be as completely nutty as the PHM expo.

As for the busses...on race weekends at WDW the event busses are separate from any of the regular park busses...usually are the big chartered busses and are marked as runDisney event busses...they will only be going from resort to expo and back or resort to race and back. There are always taxis hanging around WWoS though...you could grab one of those directly to a park from the expo. Honestly, I've started using them more and more to and from the expo in the last year or two just because it ends up being so much faster...for me, any extra time I can get off of my feet and not standing in a line the day before a race is totally worth the cab fare

Old 07-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #2605
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, thank you, I was aware that we couldn't walk TO the race, however, I'm trying to figure out how we'd use a day's park admission to walk back after the race. I see that the race ends in the parking lot, and we'd be attending the breakfast which is back in the park. Do you have to use your park admission to get back in for the breakfast? If not, couldn't we just exit out the IG after the breakfast? It's really not a big deal, except that we chose to forego the hopper since it's just a short trip, so we'd have to make that our EPCOT day if that's the case. Thanks!
We did the breakfast after the 5k this year and the breakfast was held in the Race Retreat tent in the parking lot. We stayed off-site so we drove to the start. You'll either need to use a park ticket to walk to the IG after breakfast or take the race bus back to the hotel.

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
Old 07-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #2606
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post

Just curious - do the buses run between the resorts and expo only, or is it possible to take a bus direct from the expo to a park?
Or just take the bus to the hotel nearest whatever park you want to go to. (Like if you're going to MK, take the bus to the Contemporary or to BC for Epcot or BW for DHS).

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
Old 07-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #2607
laura428
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There are always taxis hanging around WWoS though...you could grab one of those directly to a park from the expo. Honestly, I've started using them more and more to and from the expo in the last year or two just because it ends up being so much faster...for me, any extra time I can get off of my feet and not standing in a line the day before a race is totally worth the cab fare
You know, this sounds like a really good idea. We get in at 2:55pm on the 20th, so probably won't be at our hotel until 4 or 5. I was thinking it might be smart to head on over to the Expo that first night, but the last thing I want to do after a day of travel is wait for a bus! Thanks for the tip.
2014 Princess Half Marathon
Old 07-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #2608
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Thank you! It's really not a big deal to me, but my mom will probably go with us and she HATES taking the buses, so I was trying to see if there were any options that would at least avoid a bus in one direction Maybe the race buses won't be as insane as the park buses
Oh, I can totally relate! I've been going back and forth (and probably will still be doing so until Feb) about whether or not to bring my mother and son... my mother has been to WDW a gazillion times and but is terrified of getting lost and fears the bus system. The irony of this situation is that my son would be taking care of Gramma, not the other way around...

Quote:
If you aim to get there either day as soon as it opens, expect a LOOOOOOONG line to start forming early just to get in. Also, there's nothing that says you can't head for the vendors and shop before you get all your race stuff...doesn't really matter but most tend to run for their race number first, and if you're there early to buy a hot item that you think will sell out, then go for it and get your race stuff after you've shopped.
I can vouch for all of the above. I stayed at CSR this year and walked over to the Expo 10 minutes before it opened... and stood in a line that wrapped all the way around the outside of the building for 20 minutes before getting in. My friend wanted a Coast to Coast shirt and when we saw the insanity that was the runDisney merch booth, we opted to do that first, for fear of the shirts being gone quickly. We were right - they were sold out by the time we got to the registers with our stuff. Bib and packet pick-up wasn't bad at all, though.

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 07-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #2609
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Oh, I can totally relate! I've been going back and forth (and probably will still be doing so until Feb) about whether or not to bring my mother and son... my mother has been to WDW a gazillion times and but is terrified of getting lost and fears the bus system. The irony of this situation is that my son would be taking care of Gramma, not the other way around...
My mom's concern is that she's claustrophobic and every time we've gone to WDW has been during a busy time of year. We spend every bus trip with strangers' crotches and armpits in our faces. No wonder she hates the buses
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 07-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #2610
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizdreamer1955 View Post
No word on the NB shoes yet. I believe the price was about $125.

Thats less than I expected..they are $399 on ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twingle View Post
I've heard there will be new designs for the Princess They're supposed to be on display at the January marathon!
Oh I hope so!

Quote:
Omg! I had no idea they made these!?!? Are they different colors/styles each year? So fun!!!!!
last years were very cute

Quote:
Cool!!!! What are the chances they sell out early??

I hope they don't
Closed Thread

Tags
princess

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: