Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #1891
liesel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
Thanks for the review. Are you referring to the "lite skirt" or the ones with the shorts? (I probably have that name wrong...going off memory...I think there is one with the shorts and one without. Which is the one you had trouble with? And if its the one with the shorts, do you think the other one would work over my own pair of compression shorts ( I have a brand that is awesome that I wear under most things).

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
This was the sparkle tech (the one with the shorts underneath). The shorts don't always stay in place for me. What's funny is that the two races where I did have problems were 10Ks. I also ran the Tinker Bell Half last year with no problems. I think breaking it in with a few wearings and washings before the race would help. I saw many wearing their newly purchased sparkle skirts at the last Tinker Bell half, I can't even imagine!

DLR: many times as a local 1984-1995, June 2009, December 2009, June 2010, October 2010 (day trip), October 2011, January 2012 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, July/August 2012, August/September 2012, January 2013 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, March 2013, Dumbo Double Dare August/September 2013, Tinker Bell Half Marathon January 2014

WDW: 1980, September 2008, February 2014 Princess Half Marathon-first coast to coast

Upcoming DLR trips: August 2014 Dumbo Double Dare 2: Liesel Strikes Back and first 10K with my DS, November 2014 Avengers Half Marathon (because I have a problem saying no to inaugural events), January 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon (see Avengers), May 2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon and birthday trip

liesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #1892
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
Thanks for the review. Are you referring to the "lite skirt" or the ones with the shorts? (I probably have that name wrong...going off memory...I think there is one with the shorts and one without. Which is the one you had trouble with? And if its the one with the shorts, do you think the other one would work over my own pair of compression shorts ( I have a brand that is awesome that I wear under most things).

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
My experience with the Sparkle skirts (I do not work for them I'm a nurse in real life). I am a Biiiig girl, pushing 240 pounds and wear either the XL or XXL.

Last year for Tinker Belle I wore my long running pants and over them I wore the sparkle lite (the one without shorts) and a short sleeve tech shirt. I was not to hot at all during the race and it took me 3 hr 45 min to run it.

I got a sparkle tech (with the shorts) and ran the Nike women's half in DC and the Portland Rock and Roll. I have quite a bit of chub on the thighs and found that the short legs stayed in place and did not ride up. No chaffing on the chub. I had run in the skirt for two 3 mile training runs before I ran the half so the skirt had not been washed but 2 times.

I did find that I spent a lot of time pulling the skirt up on my waist. I'm not used to wearing anything on the "natural" waistline so was uncomfortable with the skirt being a little low.

I bought another skirt in the hickerchic design. The skirt is a 2 inches longer and the legs are 1 inch longer. I also bought it one size larger than the other skirt. This one I have done multiple mid length runs 4-7 mils and I wear it a lot for my bike rides and can say that I do not have the problem with where it sits on my waist or feeling the need to pull it up. The legs also stay in place quite well, no riding up or rubbing on runs or bike rides.

If you are unsure get the sparkle lite and wear it over your compression shorts that you like it see how you feel about the skirt. You can always branch out to the sparkle tech if you decide you like them.

There is a sparkle skirts facebook page where some of the girls are selling their skirts. That might be a way to get one at a lesser cost to try and see how you like them?
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #1893
DharmaLou
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

Thanks for the reviews - I've had my eye on them for some time now and as I'm losing weight (41 lbs gone as of now!) I don't want to buy one until closer to the race. Hoping I can get down to a L. I'd probably be a XL now.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #1894
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

I'm in love with Sparkle Skirts. I have more then I should admit too. They are the best thing ever for running in or even just wearing out and about when its hot because of the moisture wicking fabric the shorts are made out of. Seriously the best thing to wear ever for walking the Disney parks!

Oh, and did I mention the pockets? The big, beautiful pockets?!!! Seriously in love with my Sparkle Skirts!

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
kindakrazy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #1895
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Sorry Liesel! I was talking to Kirsten, a personal friend who already knows about my position with Sparkle Skirts. Since I was addressing her on this thread from a personal not official stand point it didn't ping on my radar. I apologize if it came across as something unethical.

BTW folks, I work with Sparkle Skirts.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #1896
liesel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Sorry Liesel! I was talking to Kirsten, a personal friend who already knows about my position with Sparkle Skirts. Since I was addressing her on this thread from a personal not official stand point it didn't ping on my radar. I apologize if it came across as something unethical.

BTW folks, I work with Sparkle Skirts.
No problem! I figured most here knew about your new position (congratulations by the way!) but there may be a few out there reading along who don't know.

DLR: many times as a local 1984-1995, June 2009, December 2009, June 2010, October 2010 (day trip), October 2011, January 2012 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, July/August 2012, August/September 2012, January 2013 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, March 2013, Dumbo Double Dare August/September 2013, Tinker Bell Half Marathon January 2014

WDW: 1980, September 2008, February 2014 Princess Half Marathon-first coast to coast

Upcoming DLR trips: August 2014 Dumbo Double Dare 2: Liesel Strikes Back and first 10K with my DS, November 2014 Avengers Half Marathon (because I have a problem saying no to inaugural events), January 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon (see Avengers), May 2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon and birthday trip

liesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #1897
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for all the info! I appreciate it. Its tough ordering stuff online and not knowing what to expect. But thanks to you guys I have a pretty good idea!

Next costume question for you: Has anyone had luck doing an iron on metal design (like from a craft store) on a tech fabric tank or is that impossible?

Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #1898
laurasvwee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygirl99 View Post

My experience with the Sparkle skirts (I do not work for them I'm a nurse in real life). I am a Biiiig girl, pushing 240 pounds and wear either the XL or XXL.

Last year for Tinker Belle I wore my long running pants and over them I wore the sparkle lite (the one without shorts) and a short sleeve tech shirt. I was not to hot at all during the race and it took me 3 hr 45 min to run it.

I got a sparkle tech (with the shorts) and ran the Nike women's half in DC and the Portland Rock and Roll. I have quite a bit of chub on the thighs and found that the short legs stayed in place and did not ride up. No chaffing on the chub. I had run in the skirt for two 3 mile training runs before I ran the half so the skirt had not been washed but 2 times.

I did find that I spent a lot of time pulling the skirt up on my waist. I'm not used to wearing anything on the "natural" waistline so was uncomfortable with the skirt being a little low.

I bought another skirt in the hickerchic design. The skirt is a 2 inches longer and the legs are 1 inch longer. I also bought it one size larger than the other skirt. This one I have done multiple mid length runs 4-7 mils and I wear it a lot for my bike rides and can say that I do not have the problem with where it sits on my waist or feeling the need to pull it up. The legs also stay in place quite well, no riding up or rubbing on runs or bike rides.

If you are unsure get the sparkle lite and wear it over your compression shorts that you like it see how you feel about the skirt. You can always branch out to the sparkle tech if you decide you like them.

There is a sparkle skirts facebook page where some of the girls are selling their skirts. That might be a way to get one at a lesser cost to try and see how you like them?
I am hoping and praying that I am able to run the tinkerbell 1/2 next time(2015) so I have been watching this thread for tips and info. I am a plus size gal that took up running in hopes to not to be a plus size gal. Well it seems that I am surrounded by fit gym bunnies that can't relate to me at all. I am very close to your weight and am thrilled to hear that you are running 1/2 marathons. I was thinking about doing the portland rock and roll next year. Would you mind if I sent you a PM to pick your brain?
laurasvwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:05 AM   #1899
tdashgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBlair View Post
The first year we ran Tink we had to take the super long way back to our hotel. This year, they had us walk to about the middle of the parking lot we were in and follow this path that cut down to an entrance that we were able to exit through and out on to Katella. I realize that probably doesn't make a lot of sense but it was definitely easier in 2013 to get back to our hotel than it was in 2012! Hopefully this year they have signs up that direct people where to go instead of relying on the poor CM's to shout out orders to the masses. Signs would be way better and they're possible since I saw them at Princess in February!
Agreed! I don't remember seeing signs anywhere and it was hard to see where to go in the crowds. I'll look for the "path"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle Ella View Post
Yay! Glad you're coming back down for Tink again!

-------------------------------------

Sparkle Skirts -- I don't know if they've improved since I bought one for the 1st Tink, but I thought they were kind of "cheaply" made for the price? They just didn't seem sewn that well and the band started to separate from the sparkle material. Just my opinion! Last year I went with Tough Girl Tutus (which I actually bought off Etsy) and I thought they were much better made. This year I think I'm going to pass on the skirt/tutu because I find they really bug me. Instead I think I'm going to color-coordinate my running clothes to do some sort of (undecided) theme

Speaking of non-bugging running things -- I found (IMO) the BEST gadget for storing things ala fanny pack... the flip belt! It's so simple but works so well...you can fit just about anything in it and it stays secure and FLAT against your body. Disclosure, not affiliated in any way with any of these companies ... just a customer

Oh ... google image for flipbelt so y'all know what I'm talking about ...

Old 07-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #1900
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Question

Question (I think this has been discussed, but I can't remember where or when, so sorry for the request for regurgitated info):

If I buy the discounted tickets through Get Travel, can those be upgraded to an AP? Their website says any upgrades must be done prior to first use, so that makes me think Yes, but I thought I had read previously (on this thread?) that these tickets were not upgradeable.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #1901
BlazerFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaerv View Post
Question (I think this has been discussed, but I can't remember where or when, so sorry for the request for regurgitated info):

If I buy the discounted tickets through Get Travel, can those be upgraded to an AP? Their website says any upgrades must be done prior to first use, so that makes me think Yes, but I thought I had read previously (on this thread?) that these tickets were not upgradeable.
I was under the impression that they were not upgradeable to an AP. maybe they mean you could upgrade one of their 3 day tickets to one of their 4 day tickets.
BlazerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #1902
debdreamsofdis
DIS Veteran

oh wow. I did not realize there was a thread here for the Tinkerbell weekend (makes perfect sense now that I think about it, lol.) I will be doing the 10K this year, my first runDisney event. Excited, but a little nervous.

I have 127 pages to catch up on here. This may take me a while.
debdreamsofdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #1903
AZlady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debdreamsofdis View Post
oh wow. I did not realize there was a thread here for the Tinkerbell weekend (makes perfect sense now that I think about it, lol.) I will be doing the 10K this year, my first runDisney event. Excited, but a little nervous.

I have 127 pages to catch up on here. This may take me a while.
It's my first run disney event also. Welcome.
If you go to the very 1st/2nd post it lists all who plan on going ( that are on this board)
Now that you found us, you can join the conversation.
PS.. There is another Tink weekend thread started under "WISH" then events.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #1904
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

I love tink weekend so much! Just had to shout that out!

Disneyland has become my sentimental favorite. I can't wait to train and race with you all!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #1905
debdreamsofdis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZlady View Post
It's my first run disney event also. Welcome.
If you go to the very 1st/2nd post it lists all who plan on going ( that are on this board)
Now that you found us, you can join the conversation.
PS.. There is another Tink weekend thread started under "WISH" then events.
Thank you! Yes, I've found the thread over on the WISH board and already asked several of my newbie questions there. Now I have 2 threads to ask all my dumb questions in, haha!
debdreamsofdis is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: