Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #1876
JoannaK
Earning My Ears

They are different companies. Both make great skirts.
JoannaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:38 AM   #1877
tdashgirl
DIS Veteran

Working on legacy, I'm running the 1/2, 3rd year in a row. How funny, I'm also staying at Stovall's! I stayed there with my family for the 1st time a few weeks ago, we liked it and I realized what a good fit it was for Tink with it being so close to the PPH. I'm trying to remember the race course though -- Disneyland Dr/West St. isn't blocked off at the finish for runners? Just want to make sure I can get back to the hotel easily after finishing -- I don't like to linger after, I like my post-race shower
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #1878
JDBlair
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdashgirl View Post
Working on legacy, I'm running the 1/2, 3rd year in a row. How funny, I'm also staying at Stovall's! I stayed there with my family for the 1st time a few weeks ago, we liked it and I realized what a good fit it was for Tink with it being so close to the PPH. I'm trying to remember the race course though -- Disneyland Dr/West St. isn't blocked off at the finish for runners? Just want to make sure I can get back to the hotel easily after finishing -- I don't like to linger after, I like my post-race shower
The first year we ran Tink we had to take the super long way back to our hotel. This year, they had us walk to about the middle of the parking lot we were in and follow this path that cut down to an entrance that we were able to exit through and out on to Katella. I realize that probably doesn't make a lot of sense but it was definitely easier in 2013 to get back to our hotel than it was in 2012! Hopefully this year they have signs up that direct people where to go instead of relying on the poor CM's to shout out orders to the masses. Signs would be way better and they're possible since I saw them at Princess in February!

Future runDisney races:
Dumbo Double Dare Challenge August 2014

Follow me as I train for these races!

Previous runDisney race recaps:
Princess Half February 2013
Tinker Bell Half January 2013
Disneyland Half 9-2-12
JDBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #1879
Belle Ella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdashgirl View Post
Yay! Glad you're coming back down for Tink again!

wish journalmy new blog
live well - laugh often - run disney
Belle Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #1880
BayAreaMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZlady View Post
Silly question~are these the same company? or just similar company?
Yep. Sparkle Skirts is the go to place for disney running attire. A lot of women like their Sparkle Tech skirts (http://www.sparkleskirts.com/sparkletech/) as they have the built in shorts. The "You can fly" skirt is perfect for Tink. As I noted before, it will probably (for me at least) be too hot for crops.
BayAreaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #1881
AZlady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaMom View Post
Yep. Sparkle Skirts is the go to place for disney running attire. A lot of women like their Sparkle Tech skirts (http://www.sparkleskirts.com/sparkletech/) as they have the built in shorts. The "You can fly" skirt is perfect for Tink. As I noted before, it will probably (for me at least) be too hot for crops.
too hot~ you make me giggle.....I'm from Arizona (and doing only the 5 & 10K) I am soooo worried about freezing! I'm trying to plan my costumes and worried I will be underdressed and cold.

I will look into the sparkle skirts I hope my DD13 and I can wear the same size...so we can share or mix & match.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #1882
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Anyone wanna sell me on a pair of the sparkle tech skirts? I love the idea of the shorts under them. They would look much better with the costume I have pictured in my head then wearing a skirt over my running capri's would.
I've never actually run in shorts...but since they're fitted I'm guessing it wouldn't be all that much different than my capris? Thoughts? The price is a bit much to take a game on so any advice is appreciated!

Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #1883
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi
I am doing the half (3rd year in a row) and the 10k.

Right now we are booked at HoJos in a kids suite. We usually go to HoJos 5x year (we have APs) and the kids suite is great for race day because I can sleep in a separate room from DH and my youngest daughter (light sleeper) and get up early and leave without waking them up. However, the price is high ($700 for 3 nights) and its about a 15-20 min walk to the start/finish/expo.

I also booked Stovall's Best Western- great price $353 for 3 nights (they still had rooms as of today)! This looks like is SUPER close to the start/finish and that would be really nice for me given i'll be up really early on sat and sun. I'm curious though how long of a walk it is to the DL entrance. It looks like we could cut through the GCH to DTD/CA to save some time. We are used to the walk from HoJos which is about 8 min. We will not take the shuttle- we'd rather just walk even if its longer.

Darcy Forsell

PS for costume ideas check out my two favorite vendors from past Tink Expos:
http://www.sparkleskirts.com/
(Sparkle Lights are great to wear over your own crops)
&
http://www.team-sparkle.com/
(I love their tink "race legs" and "race wings")

Oh, and just keep in mind it is WARM that time of year in Anaheim. The first year I wore short crops and a technical t-shirt and I was TOO hot. Last year I wore a running skirt and tank top and was much better. Be sure and bring sunglasses/hat and put on sunscreen before the races.
Hojo's has a special discount if you call and tell them you're running Tink! Just a thought..could help lower your rate We stayed there last year for the race and are staying there this year as well.

Kirsten
Old 07-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #1884
BayAreaMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie101 View Post
Anyone wanna sell me on a pair of the sparkle tech skirts? I love the idea of the shorts under them. They would look much better with the costume I have pictured in my head then wearing a skirt over my running capri's would.
I've never actually run in shorts...but since they're fitted I'm guessing it wouldn't be all that much different than my capris? Thoughts? The price is a bit much to take a game on so any advice is appreciated!

Yes, they are like running in capris. The shorts stay in place and are snug.
The vendors should be at the Expo, but i realize that is late for "costume selection"! But the sparkle skirts were selling like crazy! They did have a small try on room if you didnt know your size.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #1885
BayAreaMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hojo's has a special discount if you call and tell them you're running Tink! Just a thought..could help lower your rate We stayed there last year for the race and are staying there this year as well.
The $700/3 nights in the kids suite at hojos includes a 20% AP discount. Yes, that is super high! I will still call as i think in 2012 they may have had a 25% race discount. But I think I will just stay at Stovall's because of the close proximity to the race start/finish. If I were only doing the half marathon i'd be okay at Hojos, but since i'm doing the half and 10k, plus spending 3 fairly full and busy days in the parks (Fri-Sun), i figure I need to be close to the start. I'm not walking with anyone else which is another reason to stay closer. Plus I know DH and the kids will not bother to come see me finish unless i'm close. Last year they actually almost missed me and I ran right by Hojos and literally saw our room balcony!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #1886
Jeffreelancer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
My wife bought two at the expo this year and is buying a third in Tiffany blue for Nike SF in October. What really sold them for her were the built in pockets in the shorts. They are large enough to carry a digital camera or phone and once they are in the pocket they don't move around at all.
Jeffreelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #1887
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Kirsten- you need these. sparkle techs rock. I love to see the love for them here! <3

They are guaranteed not to ride up shorts. And they are compression shorts, so yes, just like wearing capris, but shorter! I wear mine all the time- for everything, not just running. Pricy, yes, but worth it if you buy something you will wear more often than just as a costume.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life

Last edited by longhorns2; 07-16-2013 at 11:08 AM.
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #1888
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Kirsten- you need these. sparkle techs rock. I love to see the love for them here! <3

They are guaranteed not to ride up shorts. And they are compression shorts, so yes, just like wearing capris, but shorter! I wear mine all the time- for everything, not just running. Pricy, yes, but worth it if you buy something you will wear more often than just as a costume.

Thanks Patty and everyone else! I want to give them a try. At the very least I can wear it for Nike in October and then Tink in Jan.
Are the size charts on their website pretty accurate? Any sizing tips?

And yes the Tink Hojo's discount is 25% so slightly better than AP.

Kirsten
Old 07-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #1889
liesel
DIS Veteran

I wanted to give another perspective on the sparkle skirts. I love the company, Leah is wonderful, and that they are made in the USA, but I have had a few issues with them.

I have had my skirt ride up on me during a race, most recently on Saturday. The chafing is not pretty, and I used Body Glide. The first time the skirt rode up during a race in October, I asked around (off the DIS) and heard that it was common and that the skirt needed a few more washings to "break it in." I thought those issues were over and was surprised to have such a bad experience with it once again on Saturday. Also, the fabric still bleeds (I hand wash it) so be careful. I was planning on buying another one at the DL half expo, but I think I will take a pass. I am also rethinking wearing it during Dumbo. I really don't want this to happen again, especially with racing two days in a row. I did get several compliments on how pretty the skirt is. I guess they aren't meant for every body type.

Also, I believe it is common courtesy if you work for a company and endorse their product publicly, you disclose your affiliation.

DLR: many times as a local 1984-1995, June 2009, December 2009, June 2010, October 2010 (day trip), October 2011, January 2012 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, July/August 2012, August/September 2012, January 2013 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, March 2013, Dumbo Double Dare August/September 2013, Tinker Bell Half Marathon January 2014

WDW: 1980, September 2008, February 2014 Princess Half Marathon-first coast to coast

Upcoming DLR trips: August 2014 Dumbo Double Dare 2: Liesel Strikes Back and first 10K with my DS, November 2014 Avengers Half Marathon (because I have a problem saying no to inaugural events), January 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon (see Avengers), May 2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon and birthday trip

liesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #1890
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by liesel View Post
I wanted to give another perspective on the sparkle skirts. I love the company, Leah is wonderful, and that they are made in the USA, but I have had a few issues with them.

I have had my skirt ride up on me during a race, most recently on Saturday. The chafing is not pretty, and I used Body Glide. The first time the skirt rode up during a race in October, I asked around (off the DIS) and heard that it was common and that the skirt needed a few more washings to "break it in." I thought those issues were over and was surprised to have such a bad experience with it once again on Saturday. Also, the fabric still bleeds (I hand wash it) so be careful. I was planning on buying another one at the DL half expo, but I think I will take a pass. I am also rethinking wearing it during Dumbo. I really don't want this to happen again, especially with racing two days in a row. I did get several compliments on how pretty the skirt is. I guess they aren't meant for every body type.

Also, I believe it is common courtesy if you work for a company and endorse their product publicly, you disclose your affiliation.
Thanks for the review. Are you referring to the "lite skirt" or the ones with the shorts? (I probably have that name wrong...going off memory...I think there is one with the shorts and one without. Which is the one you had trouble with? And if its the one with the shorts, do you think the other one would work over my own pair of compression shorts ( I have a brand that is awesome that I wear under most things).

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: