Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
wdwfan22
Totally Obsessed Disney Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevRus View Post
I just picked an arbitrary number.

My point is...why does it matter if they are a group of 50? How is that any different than 50 people from separate groups and families that would be in front of you in line regardless?
From many, many posts I have read, the problem with the Brazil groups is they seem to link arms and think it is ok to walk down the street 15 abreast. and they also have issues with very loud behavior (I know people have a right to be loud, they are having fun on vacation) but their's is excessive. They also have a problem with personal space and bumping into and crowding people in queues. It is really just a cultural difference that they don't understand.

Disneyland - 1968 - 1982 - too many times to count; June 1984; June 1986; summer 1991; summer 1993; July 6 - 11 2003; November 11 - 20 2010; April 29 - May 3 2011; Feb 3 - 8 2012
Disney World - February 1983; August 1988; April 29 - May 9 1999; Nov 30 - Dec 10 2001; Jan 3 -12 2007; Dec 9 - 21 2008; Dec 2 - 8 2009; Sep 30 - Oct 9 2012
Disney World - Jan 2 - 12 2014 Yea!!
wdwfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #17
Maleficent Dragon
DIS Veteran

January is a good time for the Brazilian Tour Groups to show up..... also in December.

Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
Maleficent Dragon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevRus View Post
I just picked an arbitrary number.

My point is...why does it matter if they are a group of 50? How is that any different than 50 people from separate groups and families that would be in front of you in line regardless?

It isn't about 50 guests that travel together vs 15 families that make up 50. Their behavior and Disney's toleration of that behavior of the groups is what is viewed as negative. They lock arm-in-arm and walk through the parks 10-wide not letting other guest through. They run into others to get what/where they want and are a pushy. They are notorious for taking flash photos the entire time during dark rides/attractions (all 50 cameras), they chant their native anthems during attractions, they cut in lines pretty consistently, etc. It is a complete lack of respect for other guests that cause them to be viewed so negatively. And when you get a bunch of teens that know one another in a large group, it tends to exacerbate the situation. The 15 random families making up 50 MIGHT have one of two misbehaving members.....but not the entire group.

Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

I will agree that the chanting tends to get loud, but for the most part the young groups we dealt with over July 4 were fairly respectful. No chanting in attractions (a bit at the start of FOTLK), no 15-wide-arm-links, and no shoving or queue jumping.

I will also say there were groups from Argentina and Paraguay as well, and one group from Argentina in particular was INCREDIBLY respectful. If they became separated going into a queue, they allowed the families between the two halves of their group to pass IN FRONT of them, essentially moving the front half of the group backwards in line to meet up with the rest of their party

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
KevRus
Disneyland Cast Member

Well, I've never once had any problems with them. Nor have I ever heard the Brazilian National Anthem while on a ride!
KevRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #21
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

People behave badly in large groups.
surferdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #22
xipetotec
DIS Veteran

We are going down in March with 19. ( Canadians ). Does that count as large group? Of course, when we do this, we don't all "park tour" together... so maybe it doesn't count.

xipetotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #23
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipetotec View Post
We are going down in March with 19. ( Canadians ). Does that count as large group? Of course, when we do this, we don't all "park tour" together... so maybe it doesn't count.
Only if you wear matching shirts and fanny packs and sing O Canada

Actually, that reminds me- we were at MK on Canada Day, and OH BOY the spirit that I saw. I've never seen so many.... creative... uses of the Canadian flag as an accessory! It was great fun wishing everyone a happy Canada Day.

The recipients of my greetings were always quite surprised that this American actually knew what day it was!

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #24
xipetotec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
Only if you wear matching shirts and fanny packs and sing O Canada

Actually, that reminds me- we were at MK on Canada Day, and OH BOY the spirit that I saw. I've never seen so many.... creative... uses of the Canadian flag as an accessory! It was great fun wishing everyone a happy Canada Day.

The recipients of my greetings were always quite surprised that this American actually knew what day it was!
Actually, one year I came VERY close to getting shirts for everyone. As a joke. Oh the joke wasn't that we'd have matching shirts. ( I think it can be a fun way to keep track of everyone ). But because it was organized with my parents' DVC membership, my cousin and I joked about putting my dad's face on the shirts.

xipetotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #25
jmb912
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
January and July are the worst of it and NOT just at Disney..they are also a HUGE prescence at Universal and Seaworld
We were in NYC on July 2nd...and I was very surprised to see the BTG's there! They also had small mickey heads on their shirts so I assumed they were going to WDW either before or after NYC. We were at South Street Seaport and we wanted to go on an earlier Shark boat ride than we had tickets for, but they had booked out two entire boat rides before ours. When hubby saw them come out chanting he was happy to wait the 2 hours. On a better note, the Shark boat was awesome!!!! Totally recommend this and we had almost the whole 100 person boat to ourselves!

Jen - DH DD(17) DD(14) DS(12):

Coming up next...Our First Disney Cruise on the Dream...11/27/13 followed by 4 days at AOA!

08/12 - Contemporary Resort - MKV!!
06/11 - Contemporary Resort - MKV
08/09 - Port Orleans Resort
09/07 - Saratoga Springs Resort (free upgrade & dining)
10/06 - off-site - Nick suites
07/03 - Coronado Springs Resort
03/02 - off-site
01/97 - Shades of Green
06/94 - Honeymoon @ Disney of course!!!
07/91 - off-site
1976 & 1977
jmb912 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #26
sb682
Mouseketeer

We had successfully convinced our unsure 3-year-old to try Haunted Mansion, explaining that it wasn't scary and it was all pretend. He was starting to get excited but was a little nervous going into the stretching room. A large group of about 50 annoying AMERICAN teenagers and their chaperones (!) barreled through the queue (running full speed) and they ended up in our stretching room. They wouldn't shut up and raced out of the stretching room to board the ride. We hoped that letting them in front of us would be the end of it, but they kept talking and laughing and SCREAMING the entire ride, and my boy was terrified. I finally explained that the big kids were just being dumb and annoying (not something I usually say to him) but he did not have fun at all because he was convinced the other people were scared. I really hope the adults in their group said something to them, but I doubt it.

Point is, any group of people (especially teenagers) can get really annoying really quick when they are away from home and get caught up in herd mentality/peer pressure. There are giant groups of kids almost any time of year at Disney. Best to avoid them if you can, and try not to let it get to you if you can't.
sb682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #27
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb682 View Post
Point is, any group of people (especially teenagers) can get really annoying really quick when they are away from home and get caught up in herd mentality/peer pressure. There are giant groups of kids almost any time of year at Disney. Best to avoid them if you can, and try not to let it get to you if you can't.

True that.

We don't go much in the summer anymore, but we do go from September through May. We generally see large BTGs in January, February and March. Which roughly conforms to their summer.

To the PP talking about a large group of Canadians - BRING IT ON! I speak fluent Canadian! Eh!

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #28
Violet Parr
DIS Veteran

What resorts do the BTGs usually use for their stays?

VP
December 2005 Pop Century, VWL, Swan, December 2007 Coronado Springs, Fort Wilderness December 2010 Fort Wilderness, October 2012 AKV Kidani, June 2013 Caribbean Beach, July 2013 Polynesian August 2013 Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room September 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas, POR-AB October 2013 MNSSHP/F&W Fort Wilderness December 2013 Villas at Wilderness Lodge
Violet Parr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #29
kapoof
DIS Veteran

They mostly stay at values but I have read reports of mods even at the poly!

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #30
Mitzicat
Mouseketeer

In Dec 2011 we experienced several large groups while exiting EE. When we came out of the gift shop and it looked like folks were protesting something and participating in a sit-in. There had to be 200-300 people sitting on the ground in pods of people. It made it very difficult for other folks to get there. Those in our party commented that we hoped there wasn't an emergency because it the groups sitting on the ground would make it difficult for security folks to get to those who needed help.

To top it off they started a chanting competition and the noise level was crazy..we quickly made our way out othere.
Mitzicat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: