Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #2416
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM393 View Post
How many people run in the PHM weekend? I know during marathon weekend this year it took me like 2 hours to get my packet, the line was wrapped all the way around the fields and almost back to the track! I know there's less just wondering about how many. Thanks!
Beats me! I think they posted one of those "by the numbers" graphics a few days before the race that gave all the race stats, etc, but I couldn't find it. 20k maybe? I really don't know though. The way it was set up at CSR was it was in one big ballroom and looked like it was divided in half or so, one side for packet pick up and the other for the expo. I got there around 2 or 3 ish that Friday afternoon and the packet pick up side was EMPTY...not a soul anywhere...but the expo side stayed a madhouse the entire weekend. I went back several times wanting to look around hoping it had died down, but it never did. The official merchandise booth was grossly under-sized. They should have had that in a ball room all by itself...it was insane...people pushing, trying to grab stuff off the racks....total chaos in there....and a snaked line taped off on the floor outside of it just to get in. walkways through the expo were so narrow that they sometimes were blocked by people waiting in line to pay at a booth. Really, one of the things I kept thinking all weekend was I can't even imagine how much merchandise "walked" out of that expo that weekend without being paid for. some of those poor booths looked overwhelmed. I'm hoping for a better experience next year back at WWoS, though it can still get a little crowded there too!

Old 07-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #2417
Outonarun
"If you can dream it, then you can do it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM393 View Post
How many people run in the PHM weekend? I know during marathon weekend this year it took me like 2 hours to get my packet, the line was wrapped all the way around the fields and almost back to the track! I know there's less just wondering about how many. Thanks!
To get an idea, I went to the "Results" tab on the runDisney homepage, selected the 2013 PHM race, and then viewed the women's half marathon finishers count, and the men's half marathon finishers count (there are also statistics for military, team, and 1-mile).

Total Women Finishers: 21,238
Total Men Finishers: 1,501

This will be my first Princess Half... it is all very exciting!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #2418
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
The official merchandise booth was grossly under-sized. They should have had that in a ball room all by itself...it was insane...people pushing, trying to grab stuff off the racks....total chaos in there....and a snaked line taped off on the floor outside of it just to get in. walkways through the expo were so narrow that they sometimes were blocked by people waiting in line to pay at a booth.
^THIS was just awful. AWFUL! I couldn't wait to get out of there and didn't buy half the things I'd planned to - unfortunate for the vendors who lost sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outonarun View Post
Total Women Finishers: 21,238
Total Men Finishers: 1,501
I remember hearing the number 24,000 being tossed around a lot for all races - including the half, 5K and kids' - so that makes sense.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 07-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #2419
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post

I remember hearing the number 24,000 being tossed around a lot for all races - including the half, 5K and kids' - so that makes sense.
I think total it was more than that who registered. You have to think...not everyone finishes the race... I think the 24k is just those who registered for the half. That total number of finishers (22739) would not leave enough room for those who were swept and those who ran the 5k and kids races.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #2420
gmakosy
Earning My Ears

so excited

I only recently found out about DISboards because my family and I are 2 weeks out from our first Disney Cruise and I stumbled across this thread. I'm so happy I did, as this will be my fourth year running in the Princes half with my friends. We have a group of 8-12 each year and this year will be even bigger. I was worried how I would spend any free time after the cruise and now I know . I'm so excited to participate in the Glass Slipper Challenge this year, too. A couple friends and I ran in the Goofy Challenge last year. I hope to have time to go back and read through the 160 pages I've missed (after the cruise).
Old 07-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #2421
jessanic
Earning My Ears

Just registered for DPHM! First timer!

I thought I'd introduce myself since I'll be following along. I just turned 35 years old and my gift to myself was registering for the Disney Princess Half Marathon. I started running a little less than a year ago using the C25K program as a way to add activity to my Weight Watchers program. It was a huge struggle to get through those first few weeks but something clicked in the last couple of months and I now love running! Honestly, part of it is still my fascination with a former fat girl (lost 111 pounds in the last year with Weight Watchers) running, but a lot of it is just the feeling of empowerment I get! I realized last week that I was now up to running (okay, more jogging since I'm 4.5-5 mph) 4 miles at a time and my plan for completing a fourth 5K this year (first one was New Year's Day, then a Color Run and then the Castaway Cay 5K) was maybe not an ambitious enough goal. I was looking into doing a 10K with Run Disney, but those were all booked. I got the crazy idea that maybe I'd try for the half marathon and here I am!

I'll be doing a 10K in September here in Omaha to check my progress and to have a time to submit for a corral. I'm training slow and easy and have no goal other than to finish. I'll be running (well, alone with thousands of women) but my husband and 2 year old will be waiting for me at the finish line. I'm looking forward to chatting with you guys as we get ready and maybe meeting some of you there that weekend!

Jessica
Old 07-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #2422
laura428
DIS Veteran

For those who have run the PHM before: any thoughts on the best day to hit the Expo and pick up our race packets? My friend and I are planning on flying in sometime on the 20th, maybe earlier in the day.

Do commemorative items sell out quickly?

Is it an absolute madhouse on the 20th and 21st?

And how long are the lines for packet pick-up, anyway?

We're really not in a terribly hurry, but I'd like to plan around this so that we can get the most out of our weekend!
2014 Princess Half Marathon
Old 07-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #2423
11point5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura428 View Post
For those who have run the PHM before: any thoughts on the best day to hit the Expo and pick up our race packets? My friend and I are planning on flying in sometime on the 20th, maybe earlier in the day.

I'm wondering about this too! I assume it will be SIGNIFICANTLY less horrible crowd-wise in 2014 since the expo will be at WWOS again instead of CSR, but you never know... From what I've read on the boards it sounds like unless you want a MAJOR limited edition item REALLY BADLY (like the purse or the shoes), you don't have to go at the crack of dawn on the first day and you might actually have better luck going mid-afternoon sometime.
I'm planning to fly in early on the 20th as well because I'm in school Mon-Thurs and I can't afford to take off more than the Thursday of that week (since I'll be missing the whole next week of school for Disney haha!) The only way I'm flying in on the 19th after school is if by some ridiculous miracle they announce free dining or something for arrivals on the 19th! (yeah right!) I can hope, right?
April 2000 - (POFQ) Second Daddy-Daughter Trip!
April 2007 - (AS Sports) High School Band Trip!
October 2012 - (ASMu) DBF's First Trip AND Our 3 Year Dating Anniversary!
February 2014 - (POR) Glass Slipper Challenge Trip!
March 2015 to March 2016 - Canadian Pavilion Cultural Rep Program!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #2424
LoveMyMoos
Mouseketeer

Quote:

We're really not in a terribly hurry, but I'd like to plan around this so that we can get the most out of our weekend!
This year I went early. It opened on Friday(next year opening on Thursday with the 10k added) and I was there as soon as it opened. Getting bibs was not an issue, took me maybe 15 mins, and that was standing in 3 different lines, as I was getting my half packet and a friend's half and 5k packets. Even just 15 mins after it opened the Disney merch booth was a madhouse. I barely got what I went in for and stood in line to pay for a good 20 mins. And this was a light crowd from what I heard. By the time I'd checked out the was a long line just to get in to that booth. I heard it only got worse, but I did also hear that later in the afternoon things thinned out again. Based on this year, I prefer to go first thing in the am on the first day, which will be my goal next year.

Some of the commemorative items do sell out quickly, especially the "I Did It" shirts.
Nov 2013 POFQ Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon Jan 2014 Paradise Pier DL Tink 1/2 Marathon Feb 2014 Contemporary Glass Slipper Challenge
Old 07-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #2425
laura428
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyMoos View Post

This year I went early. It opened on Friday(next year opening on Thursday with the 10k added) and I was there as soon as it opened. Getting bibs was not an issue, took me maybe 15 mins, and that was standing in 3 different lines, as I was getting my half packet and a friend's half and 5k packets. Even just 15 mins after it opened the Disney merch booth was a madhouse. I barely got what I went in for and stood in line to pay for a good 20 mins. And this was a light crowd from what I heard. By the time I'd checked out the was a long line just to get in to that booth. I heard it only got worse, but I did also hear that later in the afternoon things thinned out again. Based on this year, I prefer to go first thing in the am on the first day, which will be my goal next year.

Some of the commemorative items do sell out quickly, especially the "I Did It" shirts.
Hmmm, that's tough. Honestly, when it was just going to be me, I wasn't going to fly down until the 21st, but when my friend decided to join me, we thought it'd be fun to go a day earlier for a girls' Disney trip. But another day on top of that? I really would love those NBs, and absolutely want the "I Did It" shirt, but is it worth an extra night away from the fam, an extra day off work and the cost of an additional night in a hotel?
2014 Princess Half Marathon
Old 07-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #2426
mickeymom629
DIS Veteran

Another question about the EXPO, how do the resort buses run? Does each resort have a bus to and from the EXPO?

2014 Feb AKV/BLT for PHM!!; 2013 Jan ASM/BWV grand villa!!; 2012 April DL/DCA GCV (spring break); 2010 March Princess Half Marathon POFQ/BWV; 2009 May SSR villa; 2008 June OKW; 2008 March (Spring break) BWV; 2007 Dec. Quality Suites; 2007 July POP/OKW; 2006 April (Spring break) Quality Suites/OKW; 2005 June/July ASSp/OKW; 2005 March - (Spring break) OKW;2004 June/July CBR/OKW; 2003 Dec. BWV; 2003 Jan. Wonder Cruise/HH; 2002 Apr. (Spring break) VWL; 2001 July OKW; 2000 Aug. FW cabin/BWV; 1999 Oct./Nov. ASM/ASSp Became DVC owners!; 1998 Apr./May FW Cabin; 1993 Dec. Travelodge
Old 07-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #2427
*~PrincessBelle~*
DIS Veteran

Good Morning to you all you princessess in training Just got back from a training run and noticed something interesting..

...for the last few weeks ive been stuck training indoors on a treadmill because its been wicked humid here (like 95-97% humidity ) so this morning I decided that since its the first day in awhile it hasnt been ridiculously hot i'd do my 5 km run outside.

Well I did and man did I struggle. My breathing was so hard and I felt like I couldn't catch my breath..ive never had this issue when running on the treadmill indoors - I can run my 5 km with ease but this was tough...

Has anyone else found this? Im wondering if the weather was a factor - when I got home I checked the weather 71 degrees 65% humidity...so not too bad...? I also wonder though if I was running harder than I normally do on the treadmill. At least I can set my speed on the treadmill and maintain/track it with ease.

It doesnt help that my Garmin is all messed up so I cant even rely on that data right now...only bought it a month ago and every time I go to upload my runs it says corrupt file

Considering what I hot mess I felt like today I was only 10 sec/mile slower than normal despite not being to run anywhere near the run/walk intervals I normally use...any advice for my next outdoor run?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #2428
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~PrincessBelle~* View Post
Good Morning to you all you princessess in training Just got back from a training run and noticed something interesting..

...for the last few weeks ive been stuck training indoors on a treadmill because its been wicked humid here (like 95-97% humidity ) so this morning I decided that since its the first day in awhile it hasnt been ridiculously hot i'd do my 5 km run outside.

Well I did and man did I struggle. My breathing was so hard and I felt like I couldn't catch my breath..ive never had this issue when running on the treadmill indoors - I can run my 5 km with ease but this was tough...

Has anyone else found this? Im wondering if the weather was a factor - when I got home I checked the weather 71 degrees 65% humidity...so not too bad...? I also wonder though if I was running harder than I normally do on the treadmill. At least I can set my speed on the treadmill and maintain/track it with ease.

It doesnt help that my Garmin is all messed up so I cant even rely on that data right now...only bought it a month ago and every time I go to upload my runs it says corrupt file

Considering what I hot mess I felt like today I was only 10 sec/mile slower than normal despite not being to run anywhere near the run/walk intervals I normally use...any advice for my next outdoor run?
Are you running on an incline on the treadmill? If not, I'd think maybe the issue was your outside run wasn't so flat, so your body needed to readjust to account for that. I always do at least a 1% incline on the treadmill to mimic real life.

There's also the fact that while treadmills CAN be our friends, they are far different from a real run outside in that during an outside run, you don't have a belt forcing your run.

I live in a climate that has high humidity year round, and while I'll do quick 3-4 mile runs on a treadmill if it's raining, I try to find the least humid times of day to get outside. And drink plenty of water.

Sorry that it was a bad run
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

Old 07-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #2429
xCourxCorex
DIS Cast Member
You can't question my love for brownies!!

I agree, probably the lack of incline on the treadmill vs hills/uneven pavement outside? Also I find it much harder to go slow outside .. Last week I did the treadmill three times but slower (4.5 speed) but outside I find I naturally go faster at like 5.5-6
Old 07-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #2430
SuperHappyFunTimes
RunDisney Races coming up: Wine & Dine, Glass Slipper Challenge, Tink

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4disneykids View Post
I have been consistently running for the past year and a half but have stuck to the 5k to 10k distances. I have a 9.5-10 m/m pace at those distances. I've been thinking about training for a half for a while. There is a local race in November that I set as my goal but deep down I really wanted to "runDisney". My world revolves around my children and taking them to and supporting them in all their activities. I finally decided that I deserved to do something for me and the day registration opened for the Princess I did it! Reading this thread has been so inspiring and it's obvious there are many amazing women planning to run this race. I hope to meet some of you in February and thanks for letting me hang around. Sorry this post was so long. It's hard to express just how excited I am!
Welcome to the runDisney cult, ahem I mean team! It is such a great race and the atmosphere is supportive and fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IleneF View Post
As well you should be. Another WW member here. Down 120lbs in two years. It's amazing how we can change our lives and we are in total control of that! Congrats to you and your new body as it is and as it's soon to be!
Congratulations on your weight loss and fitness gains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
I'm not gaining but I'm not losing either. Ever since I upped my mileage this year I haven't been able to lose (and I have another 20 or so to lose). I contribute it to training, I think I'm hungrier with the miles I'm putting in.
I lost over 30 lbs last year, but plateaued around Halloween when the longer distance training started. I'm working hard to get the scale moving down again too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicBilynn View Post
I've been stalking all the local Best Buys waiting for them to get the Fitbit Flex in and when they finally did I snatched one up! It helps me to feel so much more motivated to train. It helps me keep track of everything and set goals for myself. It's great!
Good to hear. I've got some gift cards saved up on Amazon and keep debating about getting the Fitbit Flex. I'm going to have to break down and get it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessanic View Post
I thought I'd introduce myself since I'll be following along. I just turned 35 years old and my gift to myself was registering for the Disney Princess Half Marathon. I started running a little less than a year ago using the C25K program as a way to add activity to my Weight Watchers program. It was a huge struggle to get through those first few weeks but something clicked in the last couple of months and I now love running! Honestly, part of it is still my fascination with a former fat girl (lost 111 pounds in the last year with Weight Watchers) running, but a lot of it is just the feeling of empowerment I get!
Welcome and congratulations on your amazing progress!

Quote:

I went around 1pm on Friday and packet pickup was almost empty. It was super easy and I had to go to a bunch of different booths to pick up bibs for me, my kids and a friend's commemorative items. Now, the actual shopping part of the expo was crazy. I think it was crazy all the time. I went twice (I forgot to advance register for Wine and Dine so I went back on Saturday around lunchtime and shopping was just as crazy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymom629 View Post
Another question about the EXPO, how do the resort buses run? Does each resort have a bus to and from the EXPO?
They have special Mears buses that run from all the resorts. If they manage to get it back at WWoS, you can drive and park there. When we did packet pickup at WWoS for Expedition Everest, parking was super easy.

I finally got my 10k time under one hour today on a training run. I've got a 10k in six weeks that I hope to use for corral placement, so getting that under an hour is a huge goal for me. It's a nighttime trail run, so it still may not happen but I'm super happy to get the training run under an hour.
Closed Thread

Tags
princess

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: