Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
purpledisneyprncess
DIS Veteran

I don't think it's weird or too cheap at all! I understand about bringing spaghetti- it's good carbs for playing baseball and it is very cheap! My friend eats pasta a few nights a week b/c it's so cheap, lol. I can only take it 1x a week- prefer a bagel a day as my "Big carb" meal.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #17
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

It's so easy to bring breakfast and snacks, everyone should think about it!! I think lunch and dinner is a gray zone. If you want to do it, great, if you don
t, also great!
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #18
emma'smom
P.S. Who would serve turnips at a wedding?

We go to soccer tournaments a lot and 1/2 the fun is going out to eat with the other families after the games. I'd skip the concession stands at the games and bring your "home food" then. Lots of folks bring sandwiches, fruit, cut-up veggies, snacks like crackers (whole grain), even things like yogurt... You can save $$ and calories during the day and then have fun socializing with the team in the evening. At the restaurants, just go with a side salad or a light appetizer. Honestly, I don't pay much attention to what other families order (except I usually don't let my kids order soda and usually steer them to the children's menu when we are on our own and with others, they tend to order "bigger").
emma'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

Not weird at all! I won a trip once to an indoor water park. It was 2 nights/3 days and included 1 breakfast, 1 lunch, 1 dinner. I was out of work at the time so money was tight. I took Chef Boyardee, cold cuts, pasta salad, chips, cereal, milk, Kool-Aid and sloppy joes and buns with us to eat in the room. I warmed stuff in the microwave and we spent $0 out of pocket for the entire trip!

Stick with your plan!

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Mom_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #20
ninecrayons
DIS Veteran

I totally feel you on the losing weight thing! I recently travelled to New York and went grocery shopping right away to make sure I could have what I wanted and was healthy to eat.

When someone is giving you a hard time about something like bringing food, remember it says more about them than it does about you. Do what you need to do to eat healthy and happy!

If it were up to me, I would personally do a pasta salad with maybe some chicken or maybe some cheese. I suggest that because it's good cold and cuts down on prep. Plus it needs to sit a while to get yummy.

"and then the world, / which is round and has only / the colors of these nine crayons" - Margaret Atwood

ninecrayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

I would for sure take stuff for snacks and lunch at the ball park. Be sure that you have a really good cooler and fill gallon size zip lock bags with ice to keep things safe. The ball parks can get very hot. I would take two coolers, one for food and other full of bottle water and drinks. You can do lean meats, low fat cheeses, yogurts, fruit, veggies, etc. Lots of snacks for the rooms too. I however would not try to take meals for dinner. The team boys are going to want to hang together and you want your son to be included. Many times the families decide to order pizza by the pool and let the kids swim. I would look more towards ordering low fat/low cost wherever the team eats. Share, order salad, water, etc. Fill in with snacks back in the room if you need too. Your son will thank-you for helping him stay included.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #22
jam217
jam217

I don't think that it's weird at all. I would definitely take the food along.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #23
the5marions
Earning My Ears

Some hotels have outdoor grill areas - check their website or give them a call. If they do have, then you could go to a local grocery store and pick up hamburgers, chicken or whatever you want then cook and cook it at the hotel. Other parents might even join you in doing this.
the5marions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #24
kathie859
DIS Veteran

I don't think your food plan is odd at all!!! I can't imagine why the friend felt to comment that it was somehow strange. Good for you in figuring out what works for you and your family--sounds like a good time and not a huge hit to the family budget.

DD (now mother to my 3 DGKs) was on a competitive volleyball team in high school and we often packed lunches and snacks when we traveled out of town for games. Occasionally, we have a team pizza night before the games, but it was done with coupons and wasn't expensive.

Good luck to your son!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #25
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

When we have to travel for sports tourneys, we do "microwave gourmet"... IOW, the sort of heat-and-eat crap that I won't buy for at home. Hot Pockets, pizza rolls, etc. for the kids and pre-made salads or something along those lines for myself. Microwave baked potatoes with some simple toppings (cheese, bacon bits, etc) are another thing that my son especially likes the night before game day if we're in a hotel. Usually by the end of the day the kids aren't interested in going out for a sit-down meal and I don't care for about 95% of fast food so microwaving dinner works well enough.

The places we stay usually have a microwave and fridge in the room and a complimentary continental breakfast. And we bring (or hit a grocery store for) bread, lunch meat, PB&J, fruit, veggies & dip, and other healthy snacks to tote along to the field. For a Thurs-Sun tourney we usually eat 1 or 2 meals out and do the rest ourselves.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #26
Narnia_girl
DIS Veteran

I say Go For It!
I've actually done the exact same thing on a cross-country trip and it worked wonderfully.

One of my favorite memories is a picnic inside our van at the top of Trail Ridge Road in Colorado. It was July and about 40 degrees outside. Other people were buying small cups of chili from the food service ($5 each) and we were chowing down on hot soup from a Thermos.

Narnia_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #27
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

We too have traveled a lot for baseball tournaments!
We have brought our own food and drinks but usually did dinner out, for the companionship mostly. (Yes, I'm thrifty....)
I say go for it!

Junior Brody Stella Luna Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #28
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I don't think it's weird. I think it's smart. Ds was on a travel basketball team this year. Between the gas, hotel for two nights and food for 6 or more restaurant meals plus tournament fees these were easily $500 weekends each time. And it makes me sick to think how gross and fattening all that eating out was. There were 3 of them this winter. So $1500 for 3 weekends. These kids are 8 years old. It's not like it was a high school team.
I'll tell you this much. We'll play travel next year but we'll eat breakfast and snacks in our room and maybe get Subway for lunch. $1500 for 3 weekends to sit on a bleacher! That's a 3rd of the way to my Disney trips! I can take my family to Disney with flights from Canada and cover a 10 day trip completely for 4500!!!

I'm with you OP. Just because I can spend it doesn't make it smart to spend it that way. And frankly anyone who looks at me funny for skipping some of the restaurant meals will likely be the same people wondering how we afford to go to Disney as often as we do
Old 07-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #29
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
I don't think it's weird. I think it's smart. Ds was on a travel basketball team this year. Between the gas, hotel for two nights and food for 6 or more restaurant meals plus tournament fees these were easily $500 weekends each time. And it makes me sick to think how gross and fattening all that eating out was. There were 3 of them this winter. So $1500 for 3 weekends. These kids are 8 years old. It's not like it was a high school team.

I'll tell you this much. We'll play travel next year but we'll eat breakfast and snacks in our room and maybe get Subway for lunch. $1500 for 3 weekends to sit on a bleacher! That's a 3rd of the way to my Disney trips! I can take my family to Disney with flights from Canada and cover a 10 day trip completely for 4500!!!

I'm with you OP. Just because I can spend it doesn't make it smart to spend it that way. And frankly anyone who looks at me funny for skipping some of the restaurant meals will likely be the same people wondering how we afford to go to Disney as often as we do
I agree completely. Horse shows add up to a LOT of money. I generally got a suite (sometimes a full kitchen, sometimes just fridge/micro) with a very good code and with breakfast. At the very least, I brought our drinks with us.

We did enjoy going out with friends (and did that too) but were often worn out and ready to get back to the room for a bath anyway.

There's nothing wrong with finding ways to save money. In fact, it's wise - just not very common in today's society.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #30
CluelessDisFan
Mouseketeer

Not ridiculous at all. Hell, if you're really trying to save money, go camping! That's what I'd do! Bring all your own food if you want. I think your "friend" is the ridiculous one, or maybe she's just lazy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: