Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Having a "Me Party" - a Disney trip by myself! June 2013 update 9/9

Hey everyone! I'm very excited to share my trip report about my solo trip to Disney! This trip was planned a bit last minute - I only booked it about a month before I went. All the pieces sort of fell in place for it to happen. I already had an annual pass, and a family member offered me a DVC reservation that he wasn't going to use for free. So all I really had to pay for was my flight and food. Considering I had a $200 Disney gift card from my graduation that should cover food, I was in! It was also timed so that I could attend the wedding of two of my friends getting married down there, and I was super excited to be there for that.

Table of Contents

The Wedding
Checking in and the Fantasmic Dessert Party
Magic Kingdom Morning and Cape May Cafe
Animal Kingdom Afternoon
Epcot Morning
Epcot Afternoon
Animal Kingdom morning and Splitsville
Magic Kingdom Evening
Hollywood Studios Morning
The Best Way to End a Disney Trip
The End

About Me

My name is Becky, and I'm 25 years old. I've been married for almost two years, but I had to leave my husband at home for this one since he couldn't get the time off from work. I was actually really excited about trying a solo trip. I would get to do things that I wanted to do at my pace, and I would also be able to meet up with some of my friends down there. I currently work as a tutor, but I recently finished my degree in library science and I'm looking for a job as a children's librarian. I also do theater (currently in a production of Jekyll and Hyde), and I like to write (just finished a children's novel that I'm sending out to agents now).

The Trip
I was in Orlando from Wednesday, July 26th-Tuesday, July 2nd.

The Accommodations

I was super stoked to be staying in Animal Kingdom Lodge for this trip with a Savannah view. It was in Kidani Village since it was through DVC. I'd never stayed there before (the only on property places I've actually stayed is Port Orleans Riverside, Old Key West, and Caribbean Beach), and I was really looking forward to it!

The Schedule

The highlight of the trip was definitely going to be the wedding. Other than that, since I was flying solo some things were up in the air. It was also the first time I wasn't limited to one park per day - before I had the AP we never got park hoppers, and even with mine I always travelled with people that had one day one park tickets. But I had a basic plan in my mind before the trip:
Thursday - wedding stuff all day
Friday - Animal Kingdom
Saturday - Epcot
Sunday - Magic Kingdom
Monday - Hollywood Studios

Things definitely got shaken up a bit thanks to plans changing, but it all worked out really well for the most part! (Except for Hollywood Studios. That was not the best experience, but I'll get to that!)

Thank you for anyone joining in! I can't wait to tell you about the amazing time that I had!

Last edited by librarygeek; 09-09-2013 at 03:17 PM.
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
rcroke
Mouseketeer

Oh fun!!! Subbing!
rcroke is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along
Old 07-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Hi Becky, I too had a solo trip earlier this year, so I love to read about other's experiences. Solo trips are so unique.

Can't wait to hear about yours.
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Carable
Mouseketeer

Sounds fun, I'm in! Congrats on your new degree, I'm a elementary school librarian and it is an awesome job.

DL - '85, '91, '94
WDW - '93, '95, '09 (1st time for kiddos)
May '13 - BLT
April '14 - CBR Pirate Room
Aug '14 POR Royal Room & Cruisin' on the Fantasy

Current TR: Mortimer Walt! A Spring Break Success Story
My 1st PTR/TR...My Deep Descent into Disney Madness...May 2013
Carable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
tiggerfan77
I clearly do not make it to WDW enough

Solo trip! Sounds great!
tiggerfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcroke View Post
Oh fun!!! Subbing!
Hil! Welcome along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Following along
Thanks for joining in! Good to "see" you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Hi Becky, I too had a solo trip earlier this year, so I love to read about other's experiences. Solo trips are so unique.

Can't wait to hear about yours.
I agree, solo trips are a really unique experience - I had a great time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carable View Post
Sounds fun, I'm in! Congrats on your new degree, I'm a elementary school librarian and it is an awesome job.
Thank you! I'm looking for a job right now - that part's not easy, but hopefully I can find something soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerfan77 View Post
Solo trip! Sounds great!
Thanks! Welcome aboard!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

The Wedding

Wednesday night I had stayed with a friend who lives in Orlando, and her husband dropped me off at the Grand Floridian Thursday morning on his way to work. I was able to drop my luggage off at the baggage services at the Grand, and they said they would be able to send it over to Animal Kingdom Lodge for me and it should arrive sometime between 1 and 3. That was perfect since the wedding ended at 3 and I was planning to check in around 4. It was just a brief walk over to the wedding pavilion, and I got to see the construction on the DVC on the way there! I would love to stay there someday, so hopefully with one of my friends or family members that have DVC something will work out.

They had a cutest aisle runner!

I had never been inside the wedding pavilion before, though I'd seen lots of pictures of it. The place is really beautiful, and I don't think you need a lot of extra decor for a wedding there. It's stunning just on its own!

I loved everything about this wedding. My friend's gown was just gorgeous, and I liked the bridesmaids dresses as well. I thought the blue and yellow color combo was a fun one that looked really good together.

I cried during their vows. They wrote their own, and they were so meaningful and heartfelt and beautiful. My husband and I didn't do that because I was so nervous about being in front of everyone, but it's something I would really like to do if we ever have a vow renewal someday.

The ceremony was short and sweet. I thought it was perfect - they had the basic bits, the lighting of a unity candle, and a few readings. We headed outside for their exit and were given ribbon wands that she had made to wave. I thought that was really fun and I'm sure it made for lots of good pictures!

Then it was over to Atlantic Dance Hall at the Boardwalk for the pre-reception. Luckily another guest was able to drive me over, since I didn't have a car and didn't really know anyone. ADH even had a sign outside welcoming the newlyweds!

I had never been in there before, but it was very big and pretty. We had the pre-reception upstairs, and there was a variety of pastries and iced tea and lemonade.

Their guestbook was a fun idea too - they had a photo frame with a large mat around it, and asked everyone to sign the mat. One of their engagement pictures was inside, though I'm sure it would be really nice too if they switch it out for a wedding photo once they get some! I think it's a good way to display your "guestbook".

I also stepped out onto the balcony to play around with my camera and get some shots of the Boardwalk. It's so pretty there!

Around noon we were led downstairs for the actual reception. I was in love with all of the fun little touches! For example, each table was named after one of the lands in the Magic Kingdom, and we got the cutest place cards and the tables had great name signs too:

Here were the centerpieces:

Then they announced the bridal party and finally the bride and groom! They had their first dance together.

After the best man and maid of honor made their speeches, they also did a mother/son and daughter/father-in-law dance. Then we were allowed to go to the buffet by tables. All of the food was absolutely delicious (check out my dining review if you want to see more!). And then I made sure to get a picture of the cake before they cut it!

After we ate the bride and groom started to make the rounds to visit everyone and say hi and thank you for coming. I'm friends with both of them and it was great to get to see them again (it had been a few months). And then the bride showed me her amazing shoes!!

We danced for about half an hour, and then special guests arrived - Donald and Daisy! They spent the next half hour dancing, taking pictures, and helping to cut the cake. They were so fun, and one of the things that makes a Disney wedding so unique!

The cake was very good, and then things were winding down. It was a really beautiful, fantastic wedding and I had a very good time. I got to know the girl sitting next to me a bit and that was really nice too, since I didn't really know anyone else there. It was kind of sad to leave, but we had a dessert party for the wedding guests to look forward to that night! So I made my way over to the boat to Hollywood Studios so I could get a bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge and check in!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #10
burly
DIS Veteran

I'm in!
burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
tiggerfan77
I clearly do not make it to WDW enough

Such a beautiful wedding! I've never been to a Disney wedding but I have looked up tons of pictures. I love that Donald and Daisy were color coordinated with the wedding colors. Ahh, the Wedding Pavilion....sigh
tiggerfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
mcbailey
Mouseketeer

Enjoying your trip report! I had no idea how they do weddings at Disney. I love this! I can't wait to read the rest!
Disney - May, 1985 (offsite); July, 1986 (offsite); October 2000 (first time with kids-offsite); Dec. 2001 (Pop Warner-ASsp); Dec. 2005 (Pop Warner-POR); Dec. 2006 (Pop Warner-POR); Dec. 2010 (Pop Warner-POR); Dec. 2011 (Pop Warner-CBR); Sept. 2013 (BWV)

Universal - July, 2006-Hard Rock; June 2010-Royal Pacific (soft opening for HP) ; Oct, 2014 (Booked at RPR again!!)
mcbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Wow, what a beautiful wedding. So cool to have Donald and Daisy show up.
I was always curious what a "Disney Wedding" looks like. Thanks for sharing.
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

WDW Wedding and a solo trip- 2things on my bucket list! Can't wit to hear more!

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #15
JulieODC
DIS Veteran

I'm in! (and following your dining report too!)

Fun wedding - great pictures!

My 2013 trip report! Makin’ our way, it’s an ADVENTURE every day! A Nov (10-16) trip with a 2yr old!

DW DH DD3 Baby #2 (Coming, March 2015!)

DCL-Fantasy, Western Caribbean-May 2014; YC-November 2013; WL-November 2012; WL-December 2010; WL-September 2009; POR-December 2004; WL-June 1999; WL-June 1997; GF-April 1990;Treehouse Villas-1986
JulieODC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: