Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > WISH Journals
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Such a great week this week, and much needed going into the start of training. I feel really good now about starting this week. Runs are getting stronger and 2 days in a row, my splits have decreased. Gym's been good, even left with happy exercise endorphins pumping which can always put you in a good mood. Finally started up the plank challenge this week ~ it's crazy how you notice it more when you're not doing the actual plank: weight exercises, walking around, sitting, you're just more aware of it.

Thursday got my emails from NYRR, they put on the race, and you choose whether you want to do a drop bag and your transportation out to the start. I decided to do the no bag check. Fingers crossed it's not raining or crazy cold that day! You get a bag to bring to the start but will have nothing at the end of the race. The upside to that is that you get out of the finish area faster, I've read it will still take about 30 min, but w/ bag check it could be more than an hour. And they'll give you a spiffy blue and orange runners poncho to keep you warm getting back to the hotel. For transportation, you can either take a bus/shuttle or a ferry. I've heard that the ferry is awesome and you get to see the skyline as you go out to Long Island, so I'm going that way.

My closet door and bathroom now look like those crazy stalker women you see in the movies w/ pictures of the person they're obsessed w/ all over their mirrors. I have my schedule, course, course elevation, pretty much article/ad I've saved over the past 2 years covering my closet door, and disney race ads for good measure. Along w/ a bunch of motivation quotes and some in the bathroom for when I'm getting dressed in the morning. That way it's in my face constantly reminding me that I can't give up. Got a little overwhelmed about the race this morning, but I just have to keep telling myself that it's 20 weeks away, and I'm not meant to run 26 right now, I'm building up to it. If I keep that in mind along w/ how big this race is for me and how long I've wanted to run it, I think I'll be okay.

Countdown begins tomorrow!!!

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #17
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Sorry no reporting this week. It was crazy busy at work this week and didn't have any time to come on and I'm house sitting at my aunt's house and their computer isn't working and no wi-fi. But I'm here now!

1st week was good. Got runs and workouts in. In addition to the plank challenge, someone posted an ab one so doing both of those now. There's one for burpees, but waiting until I finish the other 2, plus burpees are.... kind of evil. I registered for the NY Training program so everyday I get the next day's run emailed to me which is nice. I have it all down on my closet schedule, but still nice to get the email. Plus they give you the weather update for the next day. So special! What I really like about it is that b/c it's a 20 week program and most marathon schedules are 16, they are treating the 1st 4 weeks kind of like spring training and my coach and I will talk towards the end of the the 4th and adjust the schedule depending on how it goes ie: speeding up/slowing down the intervals or adjusting the mileage. That's kinda cool.

But the best news of the week is that the pool down the street opened up on the weekends!! Got an hour in yesterday, upper back/shoulders are a little sore this morning, b/c I haven't swam since last year. But super stoked it's open again, I love swimming, although have to remember to tan a little bit on my front to even out, otherwise my backside will be nice and dark and my front will be white.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #18
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Today was a short run. I was thrown off by the weather though. It was windy and overcast, so I put on a long sleeve shirt instead of a short one w/ my capris... but got outside and it was humid. Not as bad as WDW marathon weekend this year, but close w/o the heat. The gym was short and got some upper body stuff in. The ab challenge, on the other hand, is getting harder/longer, but that's the point is that it's a challenge. I just have to remember that.

One of the things I really need to work on is my eating. I have to start eating some protein in the morning for breakfast instead of just cheerios. The big problem I have is that I'm such a picky eater, I swear I'm worse than a child! Tonight is chicken enchiladas, so no problem eating a big dinner today.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #19
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Got my runs and workouts in this week. It's still early on so it's not too crazy right now. This weekend I have 5 tomorrow and 9 on Sunday w/ the gym. Downside is that it's going to be hot this weekend, so early early runs. But I like to run early, b/c it's so quiet and peaceful it's like there's no one in the world but you.

I found out I got into the Nike Women's 1/2 Marathon today too! That race is 2 weeks before NY when I start my taper so that's good. I was joking w/ someone I entered w/ that if I wasn't running NY, I wouldn't have gotten in, but b/c I was running and probably shouldn't enter I would get in. But my run that day calls for 12 so as long as I go easy, it should be fine. Plus I'll get another Tiffany's necklace and it's the 10th anniversary so if it's like Disney races, hopefully some other good stuff. The other nice thing is that it's semi-local so not hotel, I can pop up after work for my bib and sleep in my own bed the night before the race which is always good.

Hope everyone reading has a good weekend!

Old 06-29-2013, 05:45 AM   #20
momof2minnies
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up

Hi Kim,
Great job on the runs-the humidity is killing me out here. Would love to do the Nike 1/2 sometime- great bling!

The NY half I have thought about as well-the route is so cool and historic.

Linda
2000 OKW First trip with the kids,2001 OKW First time for my parents,2002 Marriott Grande Vista/OKW,2003 MGV,2004 OKW,2005 March Disney cruise/SSR, July-MGV, 2007 CSR, 2008 Clearwater-day trip, Marathon 2009 OKW,Nov. 2009 CSR then the Magic,Marathon 2010 OKW,June 2010 AKL,Marathon 2011 OKW, Anniversary 2011 POFQ,Disney Dream+BC 2012,Disney Fantasy 2013,Anniversary 2013 POR, Jan 2014 OKW

4/08 First half marathon- Oleksak lumber- Ma., 2:23:35
10/08 Second half marathon-Applefest-Hollis,NH.,2:17:05
01/09 First full marathon- Disney-5:39:24
01/10 5K and Half marathon- with my brother- Disney-2:43:42
01/11 5k and Half marathon-Disney- 2:11:46
4/12 5k Castaway Cay on the Dream with Arynn
momof2minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #21
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2minnies View Post
Hi Kim,
Great job on the runs-the humidity is killing me out here. Would love to do the Nike 1/2 sometime- great bling!

The NY half I have thought about as well-the route is so cool and historic.

Linda
Thanks! Not a lot of humidity out here thankfully. That would kill me. I'm such a wimp when it comes to heat. I saw you're from Westfield, it that in west or east MA? My sister lives in Somerville outside of Boston.

Cut it short a mile today, just didn't have it in me. Went to the gym for my leg workout, but cut that one short too. That was my fault though, barelly ate anything yesterday. Like I said above, I'm a total wimp when it comes to heat and was just really sluggish all day yesterday. Now when it comes to cold, no problem, colder the better. However, I did get to the pool today and got an hour in there, which was good. I would've stayed longer, but it was getting crowded and had to start swimming around people, so I left.

The plank challege is going well; today was an off day, but did 2 1/2 minutes yesterday. Took a couple of days off from the ab challenge, it's not the leg raises or crunches, it's the full sit-ups that are killing me.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #22
piraterunner
Mouseketeer

Subscribing! I am running NYC through guaranteed entry next year (3 no's). I start training for Dopey Tuesday, would love to follow along
piraterunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #23
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by piraterunner View Post
Subscribing! I am running NYC through guaranteed entry next year (3 no's). I start training for Dopey Tuesday, would love to follow along
Thanks! Good luck training for Dopey!

I was supposed to get a short 5miler in this morning, but woke up w/ a bad migrane, still have it just not as bad. I'll play it by ear tonight if my head is better.

Tomorrow is 7 and gym for my leg workout. I'm crossing my fingers for a short day w/ the 4th the next day so I can hopefully get down to the pool for some laps.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #24
kim3339
DIS Veteran

1/2 day at work today!!

Got my run in this morning. Still a little warm, but that's okay. I got a good weight training session in too. My legs felt really strong throughout the sets, so I think next weight machine session, I'll try adding another 5 reps to see how that goes. And b/c I got off work early, I was able to get down to the pool. There were so many little kids from day camps, it was adorable. They also had out an inflatible obstacle course that they were able to go across. It threw off my head though, b/c for the past 2 weeks I've been going the length of the pool and goes the width makes you feel so much faster and stronger.

Happy 4th everyone!!!

Old 07-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #25
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Following your posts :-)

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Terapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #26
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terapin View Post
Following your posts :-)
Thanks!

Back from a short vacation. I met my sister in Chicago for the long weekend. Such a fun city and tons of stuff to do! And as much as I love my Giants, there is honestly no better place to spend a Friday afternoon than in the bleachers at Wrigley Field. I love that ballpark! I was able to get my runs and some gym time in there. I know Boston is a big running city, but I have never seen so many people running as I did Sunday morning, and it's great there ~ they have a path along the lake just for running and biking. I went into the Nike store and absolutely fell in love with one of the running shirts, it's the breeze model. Oh my god, it is so light weight!! It's perfect for summer when it's on the warm side. At the time I thought I was lucky b/c they didn't have my size, but then the girl told me they had them online and of course 2 colors are on sale and in my size!

My training schedule is a little off this week. My scheduled days off were yesterday and today. I could have switched it up, but Fri is so light, I figured why not. Mileage-wise, I have 5,3,3,4 & 10 on Sun. Temps are cooler this week and my beautiful coastal fog has been here the past 2 days.

On the disney side of things, got registered for the Tink 10k and ½. I'm 99% on the 5k too, just waiting a bit for some extra money. The ½'s already at 64%, but that's the only race w/ a % right now. What a difference no challenge makes for the 10k! DDD is only 8 weeks away now and it couldn't come any faster. I had an AP last year and went so much, but didn't renew it after Tink and am in w/drawls. I haven't been since Tink and it seems like the commercials are really amping up right now taunting me. Lol!

Old 07-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #27
kim3339
DIS Veteran

So Sunday's run wasn't good. It was a combination of staying up late watching Timmy's no-hitter post game stuff and no legs. Strength training was the same way~ just nothing there. But that's okay, not every run or workout will be good and it's what you can learn from them that is sometimes better than a good run, or so I've been told!

And this morning, I was bad and skipped my run. It was a short run, and I know that's bad, but according to my schedule I could do the run or cross training, so I went to the gym and hopped onto the bike. So at least I did something!

On a happy front, my dad called about what flights I had out to NY for the race, b/c he's trying to book his flights to come out w/ me! He said he was going, but he also told me he was going out to WDW in Jan w/ me and ended up ditching me to go visit my sister, so I had a few reservations about whether or not he would actually go. The upside for him is that he gets to experience a major marathon as a spectator and see the flip side of the race ~ I'm usually the one watching him in Boston.

My running schedule for the rest of the week is 5/5/4/11.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #28
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Kim...I following your posts !!!
Old 07-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #29
momof2minnies
DIS Veteran

Smile

Hi Kim,
Awesome job on the working out. We have had about a month of straight humidity with maybe 1 or 2 day break-not good for working out,even the air conditioners cant keep up.

I am from western Ma probably about 1 1/2 hrs from your sister, so she has had this heat too!!!!! We get a break Sunday 82 and dry-about time- I may run ALL day!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!

Have a good one!!!!!

Linda
2000 OKW First trip with the kids,2001 OKW First time for my parents,2002 Marriott Grande Vista/OKW,2003 MGV,2004 OKW,2005 March Disney cruise/SSR, July-MGV, 2007 CSR, 2008 Clearwater-day trip, Marathon 2009 OKW,Nov. 2009 CSR then the Magic,Marathon 2010 OKW,June 2010 AKL,Marathon 2011 OKW, Anniversary 2011 POFQ,Disney Dream+BC 2012,Disney Fantasy 2013,Anniversary 2013 POR, Jan 2014 OKW

4/08 First half marathon- Oleksak lumber- Ma., 2:23:35
10/08 Second half marathon-Applefest-Hollis,NH.,2:17:05
01/09 First full marathon- Disney-5:39:24
01/10 5K and Half marathon- with my brother- Disney-2:43:42
01/11 5k and Half marathon-Disney- 2:11:46
4/12 5k Castaway Cay on the Dream with Arynn
momof2minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #30
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
Kim...I following your posts !!!
Thank you Miss Vicki! Only 5 more weeks to DL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2minnies View Post
Hi Kim,
Awesome job on the working out. We have had about a month of straight humidity with maybe 1 or 2 day break-not good for working out,even the air conditioners cant keep up.

I am from western Ma probably about 1 1/2 hrs from your sister, so she has had this heat too!!!!! We get a break Sunday 82 and dry-about time- I may run ALL day!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!

Have a good one!!!!!

Linda
Thanks! Hope the weather's good now for you. I haven't talked to my sister in a few days to catch up and I've missed morning weather updates b/c I was watching the Tour de France instead of GMA. That's funny you mentioned AC's b/c when I talked to my sister last weekend, she actually blew out the electricity trying to hook up a new one she just bought!

Weeked runs were good, a little slower yesterday than I wanted but overall were good.

This week is nice and consistent ~ all 5's and another 11 on Sunday. And I'm really going to try and update after every workout from now on. My little distance emails from training say I should be writing distance, terrain, how I felt, that way I can look back every few weeks to make changes if neccesary. Opps! 15 more weeks til NY!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: