Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 05:03 AM   #451
disneykiwi
Mouseketeer

We went to Minnie's last Sunday at 8.10am and that was the earliest we could get. there was no line. The portrait photo had no characters, just the party you were with.

It was the best character meal I have been to in a long time, we had no children but there were heaps of characters out and a good variety and we got lots of time with them and the interaction was so much fun.

The food was not great to be honest, but one of us got a freshly made omelet and that was the nicest. The oatmeal was good too and the fruit. I was surprised that for that early the food was not very warm at all.

The character interaction made up for it and we got heaps of photos with all the characters and if you asked them, a few of them got together and we took photos with them - it was brilliant.

The week before we went to Surf''s Up, again it was the 8.10am and the character interaction was terrible, there was hardly any of them there and they seemed to keep to certain parts of the restaurant and we were there an hour and only got a photo with Stitch and Daisy. I wouldnt waste money or time doing that one again to be honest, but it may have just been a bad day.

I would go back to Minnie's anytime.

Hi from New Zealand.

Disneyland 1985, Disneyland 1992, Disneyworld 1999, Disneyland 2002, Disneyland 2004 Disneyland 2006 DisneyWorld 2010, Disneyland and ABD backstage magic trip June 2013
disneykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #452
mom2me
Earning My Ears

does anyone know what the current going rate of GK is? We will be going in September and would like to eat there. I was thinking of getting vouchers from GAT but wanted to see if we would save any money.

mom2me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #453
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2me View Post
does anyone know what the current going rate of GK is? We will be going in September and would like to eat there. I was thinking of getting vouchers from GAT but wanted to see if we would save any money.
Goofy's Kitchen pricing is shown here:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/dining.htm#goofy

First price is regular pricing, second price in brackets is peak time pricing. Peak-pricing should not be in effect in mid-September, so compare GAT prices to the regular prices. I believe all prices shown are before tax and tip, but GAT prices include tax and tip.
longtimedisneylurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #454
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

I have been working my way through this thread. We have been to WDW many times and are headed for our first Disneyland trip February 1-5. We want to limit ourselves to one character meal. I was hoping to do it the day of our arrival to get everyone in the Disney mood. However, we will not have park passes that day, so we are limited to Goofy's Kitchen. I've read the reviews, it sounds like the food is pretty good. It actually sounds like the Chef Mickey's of the west coast! Looking for any additional input on this meal and whether it is recommended. If not, which meal would you substitute for this? Thanks for any help.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #455
allgrownup
Mouseketeer

Thanks. We ended up with 9:10am, so I hope it's just as good. We will be adults only as well, I really want this to be magical for us.

allgrownup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #456
Mich Mouse
Poly Loving Disney Bride

Location: Where you take only pictures, leave only footprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimedisneylurker View Post
Goofy's Kitchen pricing is shown here:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/dining.htm#goofy

First price is regular pricing, second price in brackets is peak time pricing. Peak-pricing should not be in effect in mid-September, so compare GAT prices to the regular prices. I believe all prices shown are before tax and tip, but GAT prices include tax and tip.
All Ears has the pricing at 37.99 for Goofys Kitchen Dinner but the link above has it at 31.99. What is the correct price? When is peak time?

Mich Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #457
mom2me
Earning My Ears

I just looked and both the link above and allears both have GK at $27.99+ tax and tip. If I did the math right I think paying at the counter is cheaper than getting vouchers from GAT. They want $43 for adult and it would be like $35.67 with the 8% tax and 18% tip if you paid there at GK for off season breakfast. Please correct me if my math is wrong.

Last edited by mom2me; 07-05-2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: edited to say this is for Breakfast
mom2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #458
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Mouse View Post

All Ears has the pricing at 37.99 for Goofys Kitchen Dinner but the link above has it at 31.99. What is the correct price? When is peak time?
Actually, the price listed is $33.99 [$37.99]. Don't know if that first price has been updated this afternoon since you saw 31.99 or if that's just a typo. Anyway, the $37.99 is reflective of peak pricing which is in effect right now, so in that respect All Ears and the Dis are in agreement. The $33.99 price would be off-peak pricing. Right now peak pricing is in effect until I think Aug. 18. The price will go down for a while after that but then go up again for the holiday season.
longtimedisneylurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #459
Speechphi
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletsmama View Post
I have been working my way through this thread. We have been to WDW many times and are headed for our first Disneyland trip February 1-5. We want to limit ourselves to one character meal. I was hoping to do it the day of our arrival to get everyone in the Disney mood. However, we will not have park passes that day, so we are limited to Goofy's Kitchen. I've read the reviews, it sounds like the food is pretty good. It actually sounds like the Chef Mickey's of the west coast! Looking for any additional input on this meal and whether it is recommended. If not, which meal would you substitute for this? Thanks for any help.
You can go to Goofy's, Surfs Up, or Storytellers unless you need dinner, in which Goofy's is the only choice period.

We love Goofy's & have been there twice now during brunch. Lots of options, and very nice character interactions. My family loves it!
Speechphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:06 AM   #460
BraveMom
Earning My Ears

I have been lucky to dine at Ariel's Grotto three times this past year. Twice for breakfast and once for lunch. The first two visits had the same line up of princesses: Ariel, Belle, Cinderella, Aurora, & Snow White but this past week we had Ariel, Belle, Snow White, Jasmine and Tiana. That was a nice surprise. Do other princess/heroines also make appearances at AG?
BraveMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #461
AC7179
DIS Veteran

We ate at Surf's Up, Ariel's, and Storyteller's this week.

I thought Surf's Up was outstanding, Ariel's very good but overpriced and Storyteller's was okay. Not bad, but Surf's Up was a lot better. I'd go back to Surf's Up anytime, Ariel's as long as I had little girls, and probably wouldn't return to Storyteller's. I did accidentally show up for my 9:00 reservation at 9:20 (I could have sworn it was 9:30!), and they very nicely still allowed up to be seated. The food wasn't bad---I just preferred the whole atmosphere of Surf's Up.
AC7179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #462
Congo Queen
DLand Devotee Since 1966

Reading through this thread has gotten me all fired up to try a character meal again. The last one we went to was Storytellers in 2011, and it was just an OK experience. The food was fine, but there were v few characters. I remember only seeing three from across the restaurant- Chip (w/out Dale), Terk, and one of the bear's from Brother Bear. The character interaction was minimal to say the least. I had remembered that a few years before the Storyteller's breakfast had been v lively with kids playing follow-the-leader with the characters through the restaurant. But last time v dull - maybe it was b/c it was the first morning of the D23 expo and the place was packed w/ adults. We were seated right by a big table filled with Pixar employees. (They talked a lot of shop over breakfast.) Anyway, long story short I am in the mood to dine w/ our beloved fur and face characters again thanks to you all and am going to see if we can get into Goofy's Kitchen for dinner. Thanks.

Hatters Gonna Hat
Congo Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:10 AM   #463
E-P-C-O-T
DIS Veteran

Sorry, wrong thread ...
E-P-C-O-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:36 AM   #464
LadyHadley
Earning My Ears

Soooo confused about character dining right now!
We've never done it and am planning on it with our next trip

Have read through this super thread, probably a million reviews so far and I think I've just reached that limit where my brain's become fried from so much information.

Myself and my husband are planning our trip to Disneyland this October, and Im aware I need to book the character dining at 60 days out (meaning I really do need to work this out sometime soon)

We're going as a party of 2 adults without kids looking for breakfast with characters.

Originally was thinking "Goofys Kitchen" due to reviews indicating the good range of food & characters - but we're not fans of super noisy places.
We know this is a theme park which has noise and it really is great for families to have fun and wonderful memories together , just the banging pots and pans isnt our cup of tea is all (honestly not meaning offence to anyone, just trying to explain our situation is all)

So, I guess, we're after somewhere with character interactions where two adults wont be ignored, and preferably somewhere not crazy loud?

I've been tossing up between Storytellers and Plaza Inn... I think....

Like I mentioned my brain has been a bit over-loaded from the amount of information, and a lot of information seems to be family geared (which makes since considering it is Disneyland after all ) but was wondering if anyone had some advice for our situation?

Last edited by LadyHadley; 08-02-2013 at 02:08 AM.
LadyHadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #465
PinkiexLi
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyHadley View Post
Soooo confused about character dining right now!
We've never done it and am planning on it with our next trip

Have read through this super thread, probably a million reviews so far and I think I've just reached that limit where my brain's become fried from so much information.

Myself and my husband are planning our trip to Disneyland this October, and Im aware I need to book the character dining at 60 days out (meaning I really do need to work this out sometime soon)

We're going as a party of 2 adults without kids looking for breakfast with characters.

Originally was thinking "Goofys Kitchen" due to reviews indicating the good range of food & characters - but we're not fans of super noisy places.
We know this is a theme park which has noise and it really is great for families to have fun and wonderful memories together , just the banging pots and pans isnt our cup of tea is all (honestly not meaning offence to anyone, just trying to explain our situation is all)

So, I guess, we're after somewhere with character interactions where two adults wont be ignored, and preferably somewhere not crazy loud?

I've been tossing up between Storytellers and Plaza Inn... I think....

Like I mentioned my brain has been a bit over-loaded from the amount of information, and a lot of information seems to be family geared (which makes since considering it is Disneyland after all ) but was wondering if anyone had some advice for our situation?
I've been to all the character dining experiences at DLR and I have to say that Goofy's Kitchen does offer the best array of characters and the food is pretty awesome. Have you considered going at a non peak time? We had a really great interaction with the Mad Hatter there. I believe you see more characters there as well. We saw Aladdin, Sleeping Beauty, Pluto, Minnie, Mad Hatter, Fairy Godmother, and of course Goofy.

Storytellers is a nice restaurant and the food was really good, but the characters aren't as well known. If you want to see characters that you don't se everyday, this is a good place to eat. When we went we saw Chip and Dale, Brother Bear, and Meeko.

As for Plaza Inn, it gets noisy in there too. The characters sometimes get the kids together and dance. The food is typical breakfast food. But you do get to see a lot of characters.

My fav character dining is Ariel's Grotto for breakfast. I think that it's the best value and the breakfast food is quite good. You can always ask for more of what you want. Last time we went we ate at the latest time for breakfast which was around 10:30. We sat outside and it was really quiet and enjoyable with a view of the pier.
PinkiexLi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: