Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #2551
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2AidanAndEli View Post

Okay, I have to ask! I'm really looking forward to trying POFQ--our first trip at anything other than a Value. But what is so different between POFQ and POR that you'd be willing to give up free dining???? Is it really that different? The free dining is such a huge savings to us, that I can't imagine giving it up for one section of Port Orleans over the other. But, of course, I've never been so maybe there's something I'm missing.
We don't care for POR at all.... It's huge... 4-5 different bus stops ought to give some definition of its expanse .... Some areas are so far, refill mugs would just about be useless....we walk over sometimes just for exercise...

POFQ, very compact, no huge walk anywhere... We prefer the food there though both resorts menus are similar..

There are fans of both but ease of getting around, I don't want to walk forever at my resort after walking all day in a park ...

DIS Dads Club Member
Old 06-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #2552
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I got the PIN and am staying at POFQ the end of August. Had to book a garden room instead of standard, but the free dining worked. My guess is they've already booked the allowed number of rooms in your time slot, not that POFQ isn't participating. They only earmark so many rooms for the free dining.
Just back..we pAid for standRd room and were upgraded to garden view..going forward I would pay extra for garden view...so nice looking out on the lovely gardens!! You will love it. We were in building 5...perfect location!

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #2553
nittanyliongirl02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus36 View Post
I was lucky enough to be able to use a PIN for free dining in October that was actually sent to my mother (but I was listed as an eligible person on the PIN - we travelled together last year). I was told POFQ isn't participating in the free dining promotion. Oh well, I booked Coronado. I stayed there last year - and it was nice, but I wanted something different. CSR and CBR were the only moderates I could choose from.
It may just be your days of travel. Originally I was going to book the end of September, but was offered only CSR and CBR (both of which I had stayed), but since we were flexible with our travel, I asked them to check the beginning of October. She first offered me POR with a Royal Room, but then said "why don't you try POFQ?", so she priced it all out for me, and that is where we are! I even called Tuesday to add another day (arrive a day early) and they were able to do so without any issues. So, it may just be your travel dates. If you really want to stay at POFQ and are flexible with your days, then call and see what they can do for you! Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetbeachgal View Post
Just back..we pAid for standRd room and were upgraded to garden view..going forward I would pay extra for garden view...so nice looking out on the lovely gardens!! You will love it. We were in building 5...perfect location!
Can I make a request for Bldg 5? Any other nearby buildings that you could suggest? Thanks!
2007 (POP)* 2007 (CSR and MVMCP)*2008 (Disneymoon at CSR and MNSSHP)
*2009 (AKL and MVMCP)
*2013 (POFQ and MNSSHP)*2014 (POR)
Old 06-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #2554
Terk-1
Cinderella's Castle is My 2nd Home!! Only 1,302.5 miles from the Magic Kingdom!

Thumbs up French Quarter

Quote:
Okay, I have to ask! I'm really looking forward to trying POFQ--our first trip at anything other than a Value. But what is so different between POFQ and POR that you'd be willing to give up free dining???? Is it really that different? The free dining is such a huge savings to us, that I can't imagine giving it up for one section of Port Orleans over the other. But, of course, I've never been so maybe there's something I'm missing.
The French Quarter is my FAVORITE moderate resort!! I have stayed at both POFQ & POR and hands down it's the French Quarter.

It is small and compact, so it is easy to get everywhere here. There is only one bus stop (versus 5 at POR). At times, it shares it's buses with POR, but always picks up and drops off at POFQ first. The grounds are quaint and I love the architectural details around this resort. The beingets are made hot and fresh while you wait and are truly sinful. I have found the staff to be more than friendly and accomadating. The hot tub is tucked away from the pool amoungst high hedges, so you feel the privacy there. The greeter is always so friendly that you can't wait to go back, just to see his smiling face! This is the only moderate I will stay at.

I find POR spread way too far out for my taste. It felt like it was a hike to get anywhere, especially to the main building & foodcourt. As I don't rent cars while I am there, the multiple bus stops around the resort can get very annoying. Had some bad experiences with the staff (both at check-in and with housekeeping). Found the room had not been touched at 3pm in the afternoon multiple days and that the rug had not been vacuumed in quite some time.
80,82,85,88,90,93,94, 96 - ASMu, 97-98 - DxL, 99 - POFQ & BC, 00 - WL & POFQ, 01 - ASMo, 02 - Poly, 03 - CBR & WL, 04 -Pop, 05 - GC @ DL, 06 - POFQ, 07 - San Diego, 08 - San Diego (twice), 09 - Sports, 11 - Port Orleans French Quarter, 12 - Yellowstone & Grand Tetons
October 2013 - First Disney Cruise!!!! Western Caribbean on the Wonder
November-December 2013 - Art of Animation & Pop Century

November-December 2014 - Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy!!

Pictures & Video from November 2011 Trip! More to upload.

http://community.webshots.com/user/wdwfan6
Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #2555
nittanyliongirl02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terk-1 View Post
The French Quarter is my FAVORITE moderate resort!! I have stayed at both POFQ & POR and hands down it's the French Quarter.

It is small and compact, so it is easy to get everywhere here. There is only one bus stop (versus 5 at POR). At times, it shares it's buses with POR, but always picks up and drops off at POFQ first. The grounds are quaint and I love the architectural details around this resort. The beingets are made hot and fresh while you wait and are truly sinful. I have found the staff to be more than friendly and accomadating. The hot tub is tucked away from the pool amoungst high hedges, so you feel the privacy there. The greeter is always so friendly that you can't wait to go back, just to see his smiling face! This is the only moderate I will stay at.

I find POR spread way too far out for my taste. It felt like it was a hike to get anywhere, especially to the main building & foodcourt. As I don't rent cars while I am there, the multiple bus stops around the resort can get very annoying. Had some bad experiences with the staff (both at check-in and with housekeeping). Found the room had not been touched at 3pm in the afternoon multiple days and that the rug had not been vacuumed in quite some time.

You're getting me excited for my stay!!!
*2009 (AKL and MVMCP)
Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #2556
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyliongirl02 View Post
You're getting me excited for my stay!!!
Me too!!! Can't wait---we're under the 60-day mark now and counting....

POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-August 2014!!!!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #2557
NewCrew42
One Day I'll be a Galactic Hero!

We are just back from a lovely stay at POFQ. Mousekeeping was wonderful. We had towel critters in our room on arrival and a traditional towel Mickey on our bed.

We were in room 4329. We had neighbors and they were very quiet. I hope they can say the same for us. We loved the room location. We were the third door from the end near the food court and felt extremely close to the bus stop.

We used the bus service during our trip. We used extra magic hours in the a. m. We went straight to the park in the mornings. We usually shared a bus with POR on the trip return in the afternoon. The bus would stop at POFQ before taking guests to POR. When we would return in the evening, we usually shared a bus with POR. We would pick them up after we boarded. If I remember correctly we did not share a bus going to or coming from MK. Bus and boats to DTD had long lines and hardly any room in the evenings. After waiting 45 minutes, we chose to use a taxi and actually shared it with a lovely family from Oregon. We chose to return by taxi as well. The fare was $9 plus tip.

We ate dinner at the food court 3 times. While it wasn't Le Cellier, it was freshly made and quite good for fast food. The pizza is the same as you get at Pizzafari or Pizza Planet, hopefully that will give you a nice comparison. We picked up Cliff bars for breakfast in the gift shop. They had Chocolate Chip as well as Peanut Butter.

We did not do laundry this trip or use the pool.

We did walk down to POR and did some pun trading with CMs there as well as at POFQ. We had better luck with pi trading at the resorts than in the parks.

We had a wonderful bellman named Michael on departure. He gave us a ride to the front of the hotel along with our bags. We were being picked up by Alamo rental car and I thought I would need to store our bags and come back for them, but Michael let me know that would not be necessary. He stayed with us about 5 minutes chatting and Alamo arrived early. He loaded our bags and we were off! Much less stressful and easier than I thought.

Also, I am an Iced tea drinker. They had very good iced tea at POFQ, unsweetened. They also had lemons in a mini fridge, sweet n low, Splenda, nutrasweet, and sugar packets.

Please let me know if you have questions. I would be glad to help if I can!

POFQ - June 2014, POFQ - June 2013, POFQ - July 2010, Pop Century - March 2009, Pop Century - April 2008, Pop Century - May 2007, Contemporary - May 2006, Grand Floridian - May 2005, Contemporary - May 2004, Contemporary - May 2003, Off-site - June 1992
Old 06-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #2558
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrew42

We did walk down to POR and did some pun trading with CMs there as well as at POFQ.
My bf and I love pun trading. I know a pun is the lowest form of humor but it makes you laugh so much. You have to make sure you find the right CM though, some get offended ... what? ... the PP meant pin? ... r u sure? ... oh ... in that case ... nevermind.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #2559
NewCrew42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRRK View Post

My bf and I love pun trading. I know a pun is the lowest form of humor but it makes you laugh so much. You have to make sure you find the right CM though, some get offended ... what? ... the PP meant pin? ... r u sure? ... oh ... in that case ... nevermind.
Haha! I am typing this from the beach! We do love to trade puns, especially after attending HDDR! In this case we were pin trading! My daughter is a tink fan!

POFQ - June 2014, POFQ - June 2013, POFQ - July 2010, Pop Century - March 2009, Pop Century - April 2008, Pop Century - May 2007, Contemporary - May 2006, Grand Floridian - May 2005, Contemporary - May 2004, Contemporary - May 2003, Off-site - June 1992
Old 06-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #2560
pooch
I feel so special now!!

refillable mug stations

are located.....? We usually don't use them much but just in case.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #2561
nittanyliongirl02
DIS Veteran

Can anyone tell me...or have you done it....what is the best way to get from POFQ to Universal or IOA?

Thanks!
*2009 (AKL and MVMCP)
Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #2562
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
The refillable mug drinks dispensers are in the food court.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 06-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #2563
pooch
I feel so special now!!

nothing in the pool area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
The refillable mug drinks dispensers are in the food court.

Andre
??
Old 06-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #2564
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
??
Could you write your messages in the message area please, rather than the subject line, as many people don't even see those subject lines on portable devices. Thanks.

However I repeat my previous answer: the refillable mug drinks dispensers are in the food court. Only. Nowhere else. These ones, in fact:

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 06-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #2565
NewCrew42

Quote:
They are located in the middle of the food court ding area.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: