DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #16
MoreTravels
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydork3 View Post
nov 24-29th
You may try point rental for now to secure a reservation. When you close your DVC purchase, you can recover the money from renting out those extra points. This way, you don't have to wait another few weeks just to complete the same.
MoreTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
disneydork3
Obsessed with Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTravels View Post
You may try point rental for now to secure a reservation. When you close your DVC purchase, you can recover the money from renting out those extra points. This way, you don't have to wait another few weeks just to complete the same.
Will there be inventory for rental points or is it pretty hit or miss?

For a family like ours, what are the advantages to buying as opposed to renting every time...if any?

WDW = 1996 off property ~ 2000 off property ~ 2008 WL ~ 2009 POP ~ 2010 SSR and POP ~ 2011 off property ~ 2012 off property, POR and ASMusic ~ 2013 SSR ~ 2014 off property ~ 2015 SSR

DCL = 2012 DREAM Double Dip ~ 2014 MAGIC Southern Caribbean ~ 2015 FANTASY Western Caribbean

disneydork3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #18
MoreTravels
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Will there be inventory for rental points or is it pretty hit or miss?

For a family like ours, what are the advantages to buying as opposed to renting every time...if any?
Honestly, some DVC owners are very bad in math and economy. They will often rent points under their intrinsic values. They only look at the annual dues but forget that their points expire in 30-50 years so there is also an underlying point cost. If you can rent around $10 / point, you might as well keep renting because it will be cheaper than owning.

Until those $10 renting owners wake up, the market will always be skewed towards a renter's market.
MoreTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #19
RebelSoul
Mouseketeer

I just checked studios and 1 bedrooms for that week. There is some early week availability, but literally nothing for Thursday and Friday. So renting points during that week now wouldn't help you. It does look like you could stay with a cash reservation though. Thanksgiving week, especially towards the end of the week, fills up pretty quick at the DVC resorts for those using points. I know we'll be there this year for 8 days and I made sure I made a reservation the day my 11 month window opened in one of my home resorts to ensure we'd get what we wanted.

If you are already making at least one or two trips a year to WDW and plan on doing so for some years to come, buying into DVC does probably make sense. We too love to cruise and we love Disney cruise line. I realize cruises are more expensive around the holidays, but for me, I'd rather spend 5K on more DVC points. I think you have to ask yourself 6 months or a year from now, are you going to be okay with going on the cruise versus not being DVC members or waiting a bit to buy into DVC? And vice versa...how would you feel if you bought into DVC and decided to not do the cruise instead? With already having flights booked, it is a tough decision. You could always see if there's a timeshare rental or similar in the Miami area for that week so you don't lose the $$$ on the flights.

I can tell you we love being DVC members and even though my DH is a CM, even with the incredible perks and discounts we get at Disney, it was well worth the investment. Zero regrets. Best of luck with your decision. Either way, DVC will always be there whether you do it now or later.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #20
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

We are planning our 1st cruise, but knowing what I know about DVC, I would go for the pts, because they will last you more over the long haul. We typically get trips per year, sometimes staying at a value over a weekend at start of trip to save pts.

Also, buy where you want to stay most. 11 mos at smaller resorts can be a big deal. I have had great exp. with Timeshare Store so far and with pts. being IMO overpriced these days direct, I would go that route based on what you said.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #21
disneydork3
Obsessed with Disney

We are thinking of buying now, canceling the cruise and changing our flights. We'd close by August. Would that be enough time to book Nov 22-27th (avoiding Thanksgiving) this year or would all the resorts be booked by that time?

WDW = 1996 off property ~ 2000 off property ~ 2008 WL ~ 2009 POP ~ 2010 SSR and POP ~ 2011 off property ~ 2012 off property, POR and ASMusic ~ 2013 SSR ~ 2014 off property ~ 2015 SSR

DCL = 2012 DREAM Double Dip ~ 2014 MAGIC Southern Caribbean ~ 2015 FANTASY Western Caribbean

Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #22
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
We are thinking of buying now, canceling the cruise and changing our flights. We'd close by August. Would that be enough time to book Nov 22-27th (avoiding Thanksgiving) this year or would all the resorts be booked by that time?
Availability could be spotty. You might be able to get Saratoga, but even then there might only be part of that time available, especially if you want a studio. There's availability now, which is a good sign.

I'd get a cash booking now just to cover yourself, and if you can only get 4 of your nights, let's say, you can fill in the missing night by shrinking the cash reservation to fit in there, and then linking the reservations so you don't have to change rooms. If everything works out and you get the rooms on points, you just cancel the cash reservation and get a full refund.
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #23
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
You are two months out from closing. What little that is available now will probably not be available in two months. What happens if you cancel the cruise, change your flights and nothing is available for points? Do you go somewhere else? Do you book for cash?

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #24
disneydork3
Obsessed with Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
You are two months out from closing. What little that is available now will probably not be available in two months. What happens if you cancel the cruise, change your flights and nothing is available for points? Do you go somewhere else? Do you book for cash?
We are pretty flexible. We'd either try for October dates (might be gone or easy to get at that time????) or just push back to when we could get something. I wouldn't cancel the flights until I was positive with dates. I could always book cash this time as well.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #25
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
We are pretty flexible. We'd either try for October dates (might be gone or easy to get at that time????) or just push back to when we could get something. I wouldn't cancel the flights until I was positive with dates. I could always book cash this time as well.
October will be as bad as November. There are a lot of waitl lists right now because of F&W and MNSSHP. Later in January, after the marathon might have occupancy after you close.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #26
disneydork3
Obsessed with Disney

Maybe we'll just cancel the cruise, keep our flights and drive up to Orlando. I can rent points that are available now and pay cash for the two days that aren't.

Another quick question...if we buy SS and book 11 months out, can we change at the 7 month mark if we want a different resort??

Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #27
RebelSoul
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Another quick question...if we buy SS and book 11 months out, can we change at the 7 month mark if we want a different resort??
So long as there is availability elsewhere, you absolutely can cancel your SSR reservation and rebook at another resort at the 7 month mark. We always book one of our home resorts at the 11 month mark. If we feel like staying elsewhere and there is availability, we change at the 7 month mark. We love our home resorts, but occasionally it's nice to have a change of pace.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: