DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA
Obviously there are advantages to onsite for many people, but is onsite a deal-breaker?

Or could you be satisfied staying offsite for a fraction (maybe a tiny fraction) of the cost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by krolyat
We love having the ability to have the cost of transportation to and from the airport as well as around property rolled in to the vacation cost.
Yep. And the theming is better at most Disney resorts. To be honest, we don't notice that much, but to some families it's a big deal.
Quote:
Could you be satisfied staying offsite in a very nice timeshare that cost you only $2,000 total to buy and less than DVC in annual MFs?
Quote:
I would have to look in to their cost a bit more as the MF for our families timeshare is over $500 as well
BWV dues on 100 points for 2013 would be $584...not $500. And that's roughly $5,000-$11,000 MORE initially (depending on whether you buy in direct or resale) plus $584 this year.
Quote:
Could you be satisfied renting an offsite timeshare, getting a nice 2 BR reliably for less than $1,000 for an entire week -- with no initial outlay, and no ongoing financial obligation?
Quote:
Yes, but then we are back to transportation issues
Right. It's all about tradeoffs. IF you would be satisfied renting (and it's a big IF for some people), you would be saving money -- AND you'd have no ongoing financial obligation.

Is that savings worth the cost of a) paying for shuttle service, or b) renting a car and paying for parking? Only you can answer that one.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #17
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post
Please take Jim's comments about financing to heart -
Thanks for the kind words, Brian -- but the truth is, I'm not smart enough to know whether financing is good for a particular family or not.

That's their decision, and none of us here know their family's financial situation.

But OP is "Considering Options." I think we owe it to them to present various options. And one of the options everyone should have with a timeshare purchase is an exit strategy. Financing obviously raises the costs of purchasing, and if something goes wrong, could make the buyer's exit strategy impossible.

I'm not arguing against financing (although it would be a poor decision for my family). I'm pointing out that there are other considerations beyond whether the family can currently afford the monthly payment.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #18
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
I don't think financing is bad idea if you plan to pay it off early .
It could be a horrible idea if you don't actually pay it off early.

A lot of people "plan" to pay loans off early, but many of them don't. In a lot of cases, it's just a little fairy tale they tell themselves to justify buying something they can't really afford. IMHO, that is a bad idea.

Last edited by JimMIA; 06-17-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #19
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
I don't think financing is bad idea if you plan to pay it off early . Think about it if you had bought DVC when you originally thought about it , and used the money you would have spent on rooms for those trips put towards your DVC you would have likely paid it off already , and bought in at a much lower price per point . You could look up what the price was 5-6 years ago . IDK what the price was exactly but I know it was under $100 .
Almost everyone plans to pay it off early, most don't. IMO, if you have to ask how much the payments are, you really can't afford it. Financing such a luxury purchase is the height of insanity, IMO. I know there are some very specific exceptions but they are definitely the exception. Had the OP bought in 2008 and financed, they certainly would have spent more on the vacations than they did actually spend.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
krolyat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Almost everyone plans to pay it off early, most don't. IMO, if you have to ask how much the payments are, you really can't afford it. Financing such a luxury purchase is the height of insanity, IMO. I know there are some very specific exceptions but they are definitely the exception. Had the OP bought in 2008 and financed, they certainly would have spent more on the vacations than they did actually spend.
Dean - I'm not concerned with the payments I was interested in more information as to how the DVC points program works and how I can factor the information that members have suggested on this thread in to helping us make a better decision prior to sitting down with a CM.

However if we had bought in 2008 we would have spent more time at Disney in the past few years as opposed to going on cruises and spending a large portion of the total DVC cost.

krolyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #21
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolyat View Post
Dean - I'm not concerned with the payments I was interested in more information as to how the DVC points program works and how I can factor the information that members have suggested on this thread in to helping us make a better decision prior to sitting down with a CM.

However if we had bought in 2008 we would have spent more time at Disney in the past few years as opposed to going on cruises and spending a large portion of the total DVC cost.
Why not get the info and buy resale and not even do the tour if DVC is a good choice for you?
Old 06-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #22
krolyat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Why not get the info and buy resale and not even do the tour if DVC is a good choice for you?
From what I have learned so far in this thread resale looks to be the most viable option.

krolyat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: