Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
Fyrecat
Earning My Ears

Finally! Our air is booked and we're working on hotels!

Hi everyone!

This will be my husband and I's first trip to Disney together! We will be married 5 years (we've been together 22, so we deserve a nice vacation!)

We will be leaving Sept 4 from MacArthur Airport on Long Island....via Southwest. We've never flown them before, but the airfare was the best of all the airlines and my sister flys from this airport and likes it better than JFK....

I'm nervous about it, but it is something to look forward to!

We're trying to book Port Orleans, as we have never stayed on Disney property before, and as we'll only be there til Monday Sept 9, we thought staying onsite would be worth it. We're not going to rent a car-I think we'll just take the time to get around and relax, and we're trying to keep costs down. I've been unemployed and attending grad school/interning since March when I was unexpectedly let go from my job. This trip is a much needed break-my husband works very long hard hours as a Chef with usually just a day off a week.

This is our combined Anniversary trip -June 21st, our birthday trip-my birthday is August 28, his is Sept 12, and my hopefully...graduation trip. You see, if all goes well I will graduate with my Masters-after many long years-this Sept.

Can anyone give us-first time Disney folks..we both went years ago-I in my late 20s, he as a child-can anyone give us any advice? We hope to both see Animal Kingdom for the first time, get in some lovely relaxation by the pool when not Theme parking out...and, well, just have fun!

Thanks,
Deb and Jim and our 8 cats (who will be staying home!)
Fyrecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
Schmoodle
DIS Veteran

Congratulations! booking airfare is what always makes it "real" for me. Your laid back approach sounds excellent - I know you'll have a wonderful and well-deserved vacation.

1974 - Family Camping Trip
January 1991 - Family Trip to Westgate Vacation Villas
May 1996 - Best Girlfriend's Trip, Vacation Villas at Fantasy World
July 1998 - Hottest Trip Ever! Parkway International Resort
December 2002 - Multi-Family Dance Trip to Sheraton Vistana Resort
December 2004 - Anthony and Gabbie's First Visit (Can't remember the name of the condo and don't want to try)
October 2008 - The Kids and I stay at Marrott Grande Vista
September 2009 - The Quest for Grownup Food and CSR (First On-Site) stay
January 2010 - Gabbie's Birthday Trip to Carribean Beach Resort and Wilderness Lodge
March 2010 - Sneaking away from work for a day at Epcot and the Boardwalk Inn
August 2011 - Cheating on Mickey Trip

Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
MEK
DIS Veteran

You will get lots of advice here just reading through the various posts. But I would suggest that you look into the free dining promotion if you are going to stay on site. You can find it on the main disney web page. Look for special promotions. Also, the resort section of the DIS boards will tell you more about the resort and the promotion.

I think POR is the perfect first time on site resort.

Happy planning.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

HI, and welcome from Hicksville!!

You are going to have SUCH a great time!!! Friends of ours stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, and adored it!! And you're right, you won't need a car. Disney's Magical Express will take you to and from the airport, and internal transportation is great.

You're going on September, so can I assume you know about free dining??? If not, then here's the link:http://www.mousesavers.com/walt-disn...ts/#freedining

Since the free dining will include one sit down meal per day, you'll want to start looking at restaurants ASAP. This will get you started: http://allears.net/din/dining.htm
You can make dining reservations (ADRs) at 180 days out, so you can make them as early as today. Some of our favorites: CLam Bake at Cape May, Coral Reef, 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey's.

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 06-07-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Aliceacc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Fyrecat
Earning My Ears

free dining....

Well, the thing is this...we considered adding the dining...and yes, it would be free if we bought the undiscounted rate. We got the 25 per cent off and it seems to work out for half the price the other non discounted with free dining and undiscounted park tickets would.
It was $801.00 for both of us, straight room. The other way, with dining, it as $1618.00. That was really alot.
While it would be nice to have free dining, that just isnt' what I want to or could spend-we figure that we'll get discounted tickets through undercover tourist and work around what we can do to keep costs down. I made the reservations yesterday, so we're set! We'll be at PO-Riverside. Yay!!!
Do you think it's a good idea to put in my requests now for AB?

Thank you,
Deb and Jim!
Fyrecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
TooBoyz4us
Run! The Tag Fairies are everywhere!
Please stop licking your monitor. It's hard to clean the smudges off, and electrocution sounds painful.

Hi! Yes, Fryecat, put your AB request in now so it is on your initial reservation.

One other thing that I would like to mention to you is that if you are considering any table service meals, please consider booking those ADRs NOW. Because you are vacationing during a free dining time, the restaurants will be much busier than usual, and it is pretty much a guarantee that you won't be able to just walk up to any of them for a table.

Oh, and HAPPY PLANNING!!! Planning is the best part

9/1997 @ CBR...10/2002 @ CSR ...9/2004@WL...9/2009@ CSR......
11/2013 @ POR
TooBoyz4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

And keep in mind, food in WDW is expensive!!!

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is online now   Reply With Quote