DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #16
albertotahiti
Mouseketeer

Also, has anyone noticed that price per point has been going up for certain DVC resorts? Boardwalk is going for nearly $80 a point, and I've seen some Old Key West listings for almost that much.

Thoughts?
albertotahiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
albertotahiti
Mouseketeer

I didn't let this person know that I was aware of the resale market. I just wanted to see what she would say about it. But, my response to her remark about resale buyers not being "real members" was if I'm going to be paying maintenance costs, then I'm a REAL member!
albertotahiti is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #18
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertotahiti View Post
I didn't let this person know that I was aware of the resale market. I just wanted to see what she would say about it. But, my response to her remark about resale buyers not being "real members" was if I'm going to be paying maintenance costs, then I'm a REAL member!
The comment about not being "real members" does apply to the DVC Member cruises. If you do not own any points purchased directly from Disney, they do not allow you to book a members cruise, even if you would be paying cash and not using points.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #19
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
The comment about not being "real members" does apply to the DVC Member cruises. If you do not own any points purchased directly from Disney, they do not allow you to book a members cruise, even if you would be paying cash and not using points.
Wow. I did not know that. I have no interest in this cruise, but man, that is cold.

I like to hope there are some people at DVD who believe that a decent resale market is actually a good thing for Disney. But maybe not. If they really don't think resale is valuable to them at all, then it's unclear why they wouldn't just cut off all the resale buyers from every perk they're not legally obligated to provide. More trouble than it's worth?

I'm hoping that they're trying to thread a needle; make it attractive to buy direct while not alienating resale buyers who presumably are Disney customers who will buy tickets, t-shirts, churros, etc. If that's the case, then there are limits to how much they are willing to treat resale buyers as second-class.
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #20
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunsil View Post
I'm hoping that they're trying to thread a needle; make it attractive to buy direct while not alienating resale buyers who presumably are Disney customers who will buy tickets, t-shirts, churros, etc. If that's the case, then there are limits to how much they are willing to treat resale buyers as second-class.
There are limits but it's going to be a tug-of-war between different departments which will be played out over a number of decades.

Sure all Disney customers are buying park tickets, shirts and churros. But the head of Disney Vacation Club doesn't get compensated / credited / promoted based upon churro sales. DVD/DVC is evaluated based upon timeshare sales.

That said, I suspect higher-ups won't allow DVC to pull out all stops in a manner which could cause damage beyond their realm. Still, the reasonable expectation is that philosophies toward direct / resale will change many times in the coming years.

Right now, the resale market is pretty healthy. Listings are low. Prices are on the upswing. The threat it poses to direct sales is as low as it's been in the last 5 years. And DVC is poised to cash-in on VGF sales.

At present there's no real reason to consider added resale restrictions.

But what happens during the next economic slowdown? When DVC starts missing those lofty sales projections or is stuck with a lot of lackluster inventory (Aulani, perhaps), then all bets are off. Don't underestimate an executive who senses his career may be in jeopardy.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: