Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #16
mom2taylorandemily
Not so patiently waiting our next trip to Disney....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
Is it because the food isn't worth going out of the way for or are any of these hidden gems?

MK:
The Plaza

EP:
Nine Dragons Yuck! No hidden Gem!!!
La Cantina de San Angel

AK:
Yak and Yeti

YC:
Captian's Grille

BW:
ESPN Club
Big River Grille

POR:
Boatright's Had a meal there on the fly, very good meal, even the kids enjoyed it!

SSR:
Turf Club

OKW:
Oliva's

CBR:
Shutters Don't bother, again not a hidden gem!

CSR:
Maya Grill

DTD:
Wolfgang Puck Dining Room
Bongos
Cap n Jacks We have tried to eat there twice, once they cancelled because there refrigeration had shut down during the day, the second time we chose to cancel, they had no running water and they were on a limited menu and we were going to eat on paper products, sorry I'm not doing that on a TS credit, so I'm not thinking third times a charm here! Definitely not a hidden Gem!
House of Blues
Paradiso 37
Answers in red to the ones I've eaten at. HTH!

DH 60 Me 51 DD 17 DD 15
Sept. 1993 - offsite "1st Trip" / Oct. 1995 - offsite Honeymoon / Dec. 2006 - WL / Dec. 2007 - CBR / Dec. 2008 - CBR
Aug. 2009 - CBR / Dec. 2009 - POFQ / Aug. 2010 - CBR / Aug. 2011 - POR
Aug. 2012 - CBR~Emily's 13th!! Birthday / Dec. 2012 - CBR~Taylor's Sweet 16!!

Aug. 2013 - POFQ~Celebrating My 50th!!! / Aug. 2014 - CBR ~ No Kids!!

Last edited by mom2taylorandemily; 05-18-2013 at 10:24 PM.
mom2taylorandemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #17
nfggirl5454
Mouseketeer

I like the Plaza. The food's good, better than most CS at the MK and the prices are decent. Nice place to rest with air conditioning.

I thought Yak & Yeti was decent, similar to the Chinese I can get at home but more expensive. Most reviewers rave about the dessert (fried wontons filled with ice cream on kabobs with pineapples and strawberries with a delicious sauce I believe is caramel), and it is really good.

I'll never return to the House of Blues - it made me violently sick, and I rarely throw up. The rest of my party didn't enjoy it either, although no one else had the same dish as me (the jambalaya).
nfggirl5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #18
Claudia Kellenberger
DIS Veteran

I will say that the Captain's Grille is one of my very favorite places for a good buffet breakfast. It is not a character breakfast - therefore it is NOT loud and crazy. It is nice and relaxing!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:07 AM   #19
jackieinJuneau
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Is it because the food isn't worth going out of the way for or are any of these hidden gems?

MK:
The Plaza -I like but it's not a must do

EP:
Nine Dragons--Run! Worst meal of my last trip.
La Cantina de San Angel

AK:
Yak and Yeti

YC:
Captian's Grille--good quiet breakfast

BW:
ESPN Club--loud sports bar can find any where
Big River Grille

POR:
Boatright's- I think this might be a hidden gem I have had some really good meals though reports have been hit or miss

SSR:
Turf Club

OKW:
Oliva's

CBR:
Shutters

CSR:
Maya Grill

DTD:
Wolfgang Puck Dining Room
Bongos
Cap n Jacks--waste of time, money and calories
House of Blues-- meh
Paradiso 37

That's just my opinion. On my up coming trip we are trying Blue Zoo, it doesn't get talked about too much but the reviews I have seen are great. We are hoping it's a hidden gem for us. Also I consider Mama Melrose under rated, my family really enjoyed it on our last trip.
jackieinJuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:32 AM   #20
Hooves
Mouseketeer

Quote:

EP:
Nine Dragons I love chinese and maybe I just chose the wrong entree here but it made me feel very bleugh. The dessert choice is also limited, either the ice cream available at their QS location, a weird version of rice pudding or the ginger cake that I had that had no taste of ginger to it.

AK:
Yak and YetiWe love it here, it has a few of the same menu items as Nine Dragons so if you're looking at Asian cuisine I'd definitely choose this restaurant.

OKW:
Oliva'sWe ate here in 2010 because it was our home resort and we were on the DDP. It's nice. Just nice. Nothing special but nothing horrible.

DTD:
Wolfgang Puck Dining Room We quite enjoyed WP, we had an awful experience with service on our first visit i.e. the table next to us had 3 courses and left before we saw our appetizers. They offered us free dessert to eat in or to go (as well as the dessert we had free with the DDP) to rectify it which we refused as we were stuffed! The food is great but I'm not sure about value for money.
We haven't done all but here are the ones we have
Pop Century- December 2004/January 2005
All Star Movies- August 2005
Pop Century- August 2007
Old Key West- August 2010
Old Key West- July/August 2012
Coronado Springs- August 2014
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #21
>Ash<
Sorcerer Of The Magic Kingdom

Disney Restraunts - Hidden gems!!

Quote:
Hi O.P here are my thoughts on those that i have tried.

EP:
Nine Dragons

very traditional style chinese food, i love the fact that the Gung-Po (Kung-Po to most of us in the west) is the traditional hot and sour style dish rather than the sweet westerised version we are all so used to.

i found the dinner their to be superb been their 2 over the years now. its always high on my list, their is just so many restraunts to try in disney

AK:
Yak and Yeti

always singing its praises over on the other boards, this is a must do everytrip for me and my wife, the pot-stickers or dumplings are always nice to share before the meal, love that they do some nice stirfrys and its very different from the usual stuff you normally find in the parks. we stop every trip.

POR:
Boatright's

jambalaya and corn bread nom nom nom .... nuff said

>Ash< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #22
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

My opinion on your questions:

MK:
The Plaza - Great banana split!! OMG

EP:
Nine Dragons- n/a
La Cantina de San Angel-my friends LOVE this place but I've never been

AK:
Yak and Yeti-n/a

YC:
Captian's Grille n/a

BW:
ESPN Club- It is okay nothing exciting
Big River Grille-n/a

POR:
Boatright's-n/a

SSR:
Turf Club-n/a

OKW:
Oliva's-n/a

CBR:
Shutters

CSR:
Maya Grill-Not too exciting IME

DTD:
Wolfgang Puck Dining Room-n/a
Bongos- I didnt care for it when I went
Cap n Jacks-n/a
House of Blues- Last time I went my pasta was SOOOO bland
Paradiso 37- I really enjoyed this place!!

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on Disney's Beignet review!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #23
River Country
DIS Jedi

Quote:

MK:
The Plaza Good TS in MK relaxed atmosphere good sandwiches. Not a must do but a nice alternative

EP:
Nine DragonsNEGATIVE
La Cantina de San AngelGood, i havent been there in a while but when i was it was good.

AK:
Yak and YetiNever been

YC:
Captian's GrilleNever been

BW:
ESPN ClubI am a guy this place rocked
Big River Grillenothing spectacular

POR:
Boatright'sOn my to do list

SSR:
Turf ClubSurf and Turf burger LOBSTER and cheese and meat NUFFSAID LOVE IT

OKW:
Oliva'sDisney's best kept secret. Turning into one of my favorite restaurants

CBR:
Shuttersonly been once wont go out of my way to go back

CSR:
Maya Grillonly been once and yet again not going out of my to go back there although the food was better than i expected

DTD:
Wolfgang Puck Dining Roomnever been
Bongosi liked it if you like Spanish inspired cuisine you will too. Good Cuban Sandwich
Cap n Jacksnever been
House of Bluescan get anywhere and the times i have been it is very good
Paradiso 37
almost tried this place but its very loud and my 6yo wont stand for that
River Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #24
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by >Ash< View Post
Hi O.P here are my thoughts on those that i have tried.

EP:
Nine Dragons

very traditional style chinese food, i love the fact that the Gung-Po (Kung-Po to most of us in the west) is the traditional hot and sour style dish rather than the sweet westerised version we are all so used to.

i found the dinner their to be superb been their 2 over the years now. its always high on my list, their is just so many restraunts to try in disney

AK:
Yak and Yeti

always singing its praises over on the other boards, this is a must do everytrip for me and my wife, the pot-stickers or dumplings are always nice to share before the meal, love that they do some nice stirfrys and its very different from the usual stuff you normally find in the parks. we stop every trip.

POR:
Boatright's

jambalaya and corn bread nom nom nom .... nuff said
Agree with this about Nine Dragons, the Kung Pao chicken is delicious, the rest has gotten marginal. We live in an era with Chinese restaurants on every corner but none are that great, basically due to the dumbing down required here. The spicing of the Kung Pao makes it a winner, but I'm always surprised that the server goes out of his way to tell me that it's spicy. That's what makes it good. The pricing, like all WDW restaurants, though , has gotten out of hand though. Hard to accept ~$100 for Chinese food
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14) upcoming BC 3/15

rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #25
ilovebassets
Animal Kingdom fanatic!

We really enjoy Yak and Yeti--have eaten there twice. Food is pretty good (your standard pan Asian affair with some good fish dishes). We enjoy the green bean appetizer. The theming is really nice inside. It has an exotic, breezy feel to it, especially sitting upstairs near a window. I think if AK were open later, more people would eat there for dinner.
June 2012 - 22 weeks pregnant at CSR
March 2013 - Disney Magic here we come for eight magical nights!
October 2013 - Fort Wilderness Cabins and free dining with a pirate obsessed three year old and one year old
May 2014 - Back to Fort Wilderness Cabins!
September 2014 - Checking out the Disney's Hilton Head resort for four nights
November 2014 - Hitting the high seas on the Disney Fantasy with one night at AoA first
February 2015 - You just can't keep us away from Fort Wilderness!
ilovebassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #26
lizzi6692
DIS Veteran

We liked Yak and Yeti and would consider it a hidden gem. Captain's Grille, not so much. We went there and it was not busy at all. We got there 15 minutes before our ADR time and it was still nearly 30 minutes after our ADR time when we were seated, surrounded by empty tables that had obviously been empty for awhile. Then we waited another 20+ minutes for someone to take our drink orders and when our food came out it had obviously been sitting under a heat lamp for awhile. The food is nothing you can't find at a mediocre chain steak place at home and I would not call it a hidden gem.

Previous Trips:
September 2010: Caribbean Beach
May 2011: Coronado Springs
December 2011: Pop Century
Next Trip:
December 2013: Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report
lizzi6692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #27
sabcook
Mouseketeer

I love the Plaza for getting out of the crowds and chaos of the MK. No complaints about the food - love the club sandwich and the milkshakes. I personally only have about a half days worth of patience for MK anyway, so if we aren't heading back to the resort I cry uncle and we head to the Plaza.

We are looking forward to trying Yak and Yeti on our next trip.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #28
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzi6692 View Post
We liked Yak and Yeti and would consider it a hidden gem. Captain's Grille, not so much. We went there and it was not busy at all. We got there 15 minutes before our ADR time and it was still nearly 30 minutes after our ADR time when we were seated, surrounded by empty tables that had obviously been empty for awhile. Then we waited another 20+ minutes for someone to take our drink orders and when our food came out it had obviously been sitting under a heat lamp for awhile. The food is nothing you can't find at a mediocre chain steak place at home and I would not call it a hidden gem.
Ha, years ago we were CL at the YC. Tired and didn't feel like going into EPCOT for our ADR, tried to get into CG without an ADR. The entire restaurant was empty yet they told us they were booked up for the entire night! Glad we missed out!
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14) upcoming BC 3/15

rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #29
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

Nine Dragons was just a run of the mill Chinese restaurant for us, and very expensive, at that.

I like the Plaza, even though it's nothing really special. Good sandwiches, and I really enjoyed my chicken and strawberry salad the last time I ate there.

The other places I can't speak to.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #30
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

MK:
The Plaza--We enjoy this restaurant very much. Feel free to check out my review here:
Our Dining Experience at The Plaza with photos

EP:
Nine Dragons--I'm not a big Chinese food person but my db and family were just there and gave me a review and they did enjoy it. Feel free to check it out here:
Nine Dragons Dinner Review with photos

YC:
Captian's Grille I--we always enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner here. We dine here for one or a few meals when we stay in the Epcot Resort area. Feel free to check out my breakfast review:
Our Captain's Grille Breakfast Experience with photos

OKW:
Olivia's--we were just there a week and a half ago for breakfast and it was pretty good. Currently working on a review for that.

DTD
Paradiso 37--LOVE THIS PLACE!!! Just there on Cinco De Mayo and had another great meal! Just posted my review too! Feel free to check it out:
Our Paradiso 37 Dinner Experience with photos

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: