Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #1516
STrusner
Earning My Ears

Hi, we will be staying at WBC later this month and I have perused these threads and have a couple of questions I didnt see asked before.

1) If we are going to have visitors while we are at the WBC, and they may stay overnight, what do we do about parking for them? I have seen where it looks like I need to get a parking pass (although others say no?) for my party since we are the ones staying at the WBC, but I am wondering what visitors may need to get (or not get).

2) Has anyone gotten a massage anywhere near WBC that you would recommend?

Thanks and counting the days!!!
STrusner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #1517
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod511 View Post
Thanks for the tip. Makes perfect sense to me. I noticed later on that the tub still was wet meaning the automatic dryer never kicked on, so yeah probably a tripped breaker. I was so toasted from a day of pounding pavement at Epcot that I was just glad to be in a large tub with hot water.

I'm back cruising ebay and there are some really good deals for WBC. $260 for 4 nights (this weekend though; I don't think my boss would care for that). And a 6 night stay in October for $550.

I live only 2.5 hours away, so it makes a nice getaway without dealing with airfare, rental car, etc. I may use it the next time for more non-Disney adventures like Kennedy Space Center and Universal.

How does WBC compare to other Wyndham resorts in the area? What are the differences between Bonnet Creek and Star Island for example?
It's hard for me to comment on the different resorts in the area since honestly, I've only ever stayed at the Bonnet Creek resort. From what I've heard though, some of the other ones in the area are REALLY nice, and some people actually prefer some of the other ones (Star Island / Cypress Palms) since they are a bit smaller and more "intimate". www.wyndhamvacationresorts.com is the website for the time share system, and I Believe you can look up some of the other resorts to see pictures and get some details on them. (I'm honestly not sure how much is hidden behind the owner login though).

I have stayed at some other Wyndham Properties though. Earlier this year I spent just under a week at the Old Town Alexandria resort and LOVED it. I'll also be spending a long weekend at the Atlanta City Skyline Towers resort t the end of the month, and what I'm seeing so far I'm liking it too. I'd honestly be surprised if the quality of accomodations at the other Orlando Area resorts had any significant quality differences from other resorts in the system. (If anything, I might expect the other Orlando Area resorts to be in better shape since they aren't as large and popular with renters, so you'll end up with more owners who will treat the property with respect)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrusner View Post
Hi, we will be staying at WBC later this month and I have perused these threads and have a couple of questions I didnt see asked before.

1) If we are going to have visitors while we are at the WBC, and they may stay overnight, what do we do about parking for them? I have seen where it looks like I need to get a parking pass (although others say no?) for my party since we are the ones staying at the WBC, but I am wondering what visitors may need to get (or not get).

2) Has anyone gotten a massage anywhere near WBC that you would recommend?

Thanks and counting the days!!!

1. If it's a single night, I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to be safe though, you can always request multiple parking passes when you get yours. I've had friends join me for a couple nights before when I've been down and I've just requested extra parking passes when I get my pass so that I can give it to them to put in their car while they visit.

2. I haven't gotten one, but I know that the Wyndham Grande which opened last year has a nice full service spa on the property. I know Massages were on the menu of services offered. I'd thnk it would have a couple advantages since it's onsite so you won't have to drive anyplace.... and it's part of the nice hotel, so it's not going to be a potentially shady place you might find in some other offsite stand alone locations.

There's also Spas located at the SwalPhin, Coronado Beach Resort, and Grand Floridian (assuming it's reopened at the time of your visit due to the DVC construction).
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #1518
lm1981
Earning My Ears

Are there in room safes at WBC?
lm1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #1519
kleldridge
Disney regulars

Quote:
Just got back from a 5 night stay. Glad to have found this website; I was burnt out on Disney but now I want to go back.

I booked from ebay (Puffcaptain). Paid $575 for 5 nights in a 2 bedroom in Tower 4; floor 12; with a view of Epcot Fireworks. Price was total; no additional taxes or fees.

WBC is beautiful, very clean, nicely laid out. Made breakfast 3X and Dinner 1X (used their outdoor grills, which don't get very hot; probably a safety thing. Too many flies out by grills to eat there though).

Only tried to use jacuzzi tub in the room once, on day four out of five and it didn't work. Otherwise no actual complaints. Toiletries provided were sufficient for two of us, room was spotless when we arrived and kitchen is very well stocked with utensils and supplies. Only thing I would suggest WBC add is a bottle of spray cleaner to help keep things tidy (Like Windex, etc).

Washer and Dryer + Dishwasher in room was like a vacation revolution to me. How did I vacation before these amenities?

I opted to go for the Resort Presentation (Timeshare Sales Pitch). Was told it is 90 minutes. YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST start managing that 90 minutes from the start or you will play games for half a day. I am a good time manager and can be very firm while still being polite. The total pitch was 105 minutes + 15 minutes waiting in line to get $125 Amex gift card. I look at it like this; I spent two hours on a non-Disney morning and effectively reduced my rate to $450 for 5 nights. It is not mandatory to go, and they did not contact me afterwards, hound me, call the room, etc. Some of the tactics they use are less than savory, so if you get your feelings hurt easily don't go. But that stuff doesn't phase me and to me it was worth the minor hassle.

The few complaints listed here were really all the bad that there was to mention. The rest was great. Great proximity to parks, all the comforts of home (and then some). Close to Downtown Disney which is a nice place to go at night. We sampled 3 of the pool areas and all were clean and well maintained. We ordered food from Bar 1521 and it too was good.

I will probably never buy a timeshare, but buying time slots from other owners worked out very well for me in this situation and overall it's a very nice property. With the $125 Amex gift card my effective rate was $90 per night full stop; no additional fees or taxes. Can't beat it.

We did not use the shuttle when we went to the park. For $4 more per couple we could just drive ourselves and not be held to any schedule either rushing for or waiting for a shuttle to arrive. People have different opinions and priorities, that is just my line of thought.

Parking garage was very close to tower 4; had to use it when we got back late one night. No big deal and nice not to have car broiling in sun the next day when we went out.

Overall would rate as 4 out of 5; upscale, comfortable, plenty for kids and adults to do to relax and enjoy themselves. Get the bugs under control at the grilling areas (and next time a working jacuzzi tub would be nice) but overall very happy and looking forward to returning. I could never stay at a Disney Value resort again after staying at WBC.
Agree with everything! Our jacuzzi has always worked and we never used the grills. After 15 years of Disney World trips, this is the only place for us now!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

DW DH: , DS19 , DD18:

Previous stays: POFQ 99, 01, 04, 05, 06, 09; CB 02, 03, 09; CS 06; Pop 04, 08; WL 04; Sports 07; SSR 07, 08; AKL 08; Offsite 10, Bonnet Creek 10, 11, 12, 12
kleldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #1520
DianaPrince
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleldridge

Agree with everything! Our jacuzzi has always worked and we never used the grills. After 15 years of Disney World trips, this is the only place for us now!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
That makes me feel good about my choice to abandon our usual disney hotel commitment. Staying at wbc for 1st time sunday! So excited!

Me DH DS 9 DS 5 DD 2 DD 4 months
DianaPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #1521
ibob52
Original Mickey Mouse Club ... Mouseketeer

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm1981 View Post
Are there in room safes at WBC?
Room safe is in the master bedroom closet.

It's a Dog eat Dog world out there

Disney is my Happy ~ Place
ibob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #1522
jrod511
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaPrince View Post
That makes me feel good about my choice to abandon our usual disney hotel commitment. Staying at wbc for 1st time sunday! So excited!
Last year at Disney I stayed at one of the All Star value resorts and it STILL cost more money than WBC ended up costing me (on a per night basis). I did three parks in three days and so I wasn't at All Stars for anything other than sleep. That was my Disney indoctrination and it was just too much for me. With less parks and more days this time I could actually enjoy some of the amenities at the resort and it was a bit more relaxing for me. To me a vacation needs to be balanced between running like crazy all day and then just taking it slow. All Stars there is nothing to do to relax other than the giant pool that is REALLY filled with kids.

Like I said, everyone is different and has different priorities of what they want out of their vacation; but this resort is super close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios and Downtown Disney. It's also a very easy location to get to and from in regards to going outside of the Disney bubble when you need to make a Wawa run.

I visited some of the Disney resorts to sightsee a bit (Key West, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club, Contemporary, and the new Art of Animation) and didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. They are all free to visit and you can dine at any of them that you want. The Boardwalk by the Yacht Club was fun; but I STILL had a better view of the fireworks at Epcot from my room than I did from the Boardwalk at Disney. Go figure. I wouldn't be surprised if we had a better fireworks view than some vantage points INSIDE Epcot.
jrod511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #1523
jrod511
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibob52 View Post
Room safe is in the master bedroom closet.
Free of charge too (and my understanding is Housekeeping does not enter your rooms unless specifically requested to; you are kind of self-sufficient until you call for toiletry restocking).

That was another thing I liked about buying a slot off ebay. Maybe it was just the ebay seller; he was upfront stating no extra fees or taxes. One price. I like that. I can figure out the value and I hate getting nickle and dimed to death afterwards.

In fact, when I checked in they did not take a credit card from me and said I would only need one for incidental charges. I thought it would be common practice to hold the number for security purposes, but I wasn't going to argue.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #1524
DianaPrince
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod511

Last year at Disney I stayed at one of the All Star value resorts and it STILL cost more money than WBC ended up costing me (on a per night basis). I did three parks in three days and so I wasn't at All Stars for anything other than sleep. That was my Disney indoctrination and it was just too much for me. With less parks and more days this time I could actually enjoy some of the amenities at the resort and it was a bit more relaxing for me. To me a vacation needs to be balanced between running like crazy all day and then just taking it slow. All Stars there is nothing to do to relax other than the giant pool that is REALLY filled with kids.

Like I said, everyone is different and has different priorities of what they want out of their vacation; but this resort is super close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios and Downtown Disney. It's also a very easy location to get to and from in regards to going outside of the Disney bubble when you need to make a Wawa run.

I visited some of the Disney resorts to sightsee a bit (Key West, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club, Contemporary, and the new Art of Animation) and didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. They are all free to visit and you can dine at any of them that you want. The Boardwalk by the Yacht Club was fun; but I STILL had a better view of the fireworks at Epcot from my room than I did from the Boardwalk at Disney. Go figure. I wouldn't be surprised if we had a better fireworks view than some vantage points INSIDE Epcot.
I know what you mean. I had priced PoP for the same stay we had to do 2 rooms for our fam of 6 and ot was over $600 room only for 3 nights! Ive stayed at almost all the disney owned property and dont get me wrong we do love them, Im sure we will go back to 1 some day,but, since our family has grown its harder and harder and harder to justify the $. March we stayed AoA for just 2 nights,set us back over $800! And we get fl resident deal! So, when I saw this thread I said we oughta try it this time. So, heres hoping its a great experience.

Me DH DS 9 DS 5 DD 2 DD 4 months
DianaPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #1525
Cynt
DIS Veteran

My 1st time off property and I'm so glad to hear these recent reviews of WBC. We had to do it because finding rooms for 9 people was crazy expensive on property. Space was another key factor for us - it's one thing to be on top of each other when there's two in a room but 3 or 4. We would have been killing each other by Monday.

Two more sleeps and we'll finally be at WBC!!
April 2011 - POP - Girl's Getway
May 2013 - WBC - FAMILY TRIP!!
Cynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #1526
ama223
Mouseketeer

Considering booking at WBC (stayed here twice before, love it here!)

We need a 3BR but we have 2 other families who might be joining us that each want a 2BR. Will we be able to be on the same floor or are they not laid out like that? We'd like our rooms to be as close as possible. Thanks!

WDW: Many trips as a child ~ Nov 2004 CBR ~ Dec 2009 WL ~ May 2011 Offsite ~ Oct 2011 Poly ~ Jan 2012 Offsite (just me and DH!) ~ Dec 2013 Offsite

DL: Sept 2005 Offsite
ama223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #1527
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ama223 View Post
Considering booking at WBC (stayed here twice before, love it here!)

We need a 3BR but we have 2 other families who might be joining us that each want a 2BR. Will we be able to be on the same floor or are they not laid out like that? We'd like our rooms to be as close as possible. Thanks!
I think that GENERALLY the 3bdrm units are the ones at the end of each floor. (the end of the hallway). There may be exceptions to this, and there is always the question on whether or not you'll find a 3 bdrm and 2 2bdrms that are available on the same floor to be assigned like that..... but in theory they should be able to find a 3bdrm and 2 2bdrms on the same floor at the resort.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #1528
ama223
Mouseketeer

Thank you! It's definitely not a deal breaker that we are super close but it would be nice. I'll make sure we put it as a preference.

WDW: Many trips as a child ~ Nov 2004 CBR ~ Dec 2009 WL ~ May 2011 Offsite ~ Oct 2011 Poly ~ Jan 2012 Offsite (just me and DH!) ~ Dec 2013 Offsite

DL: Sept 2005 Offsite
ama223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #1529
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

Quote:

How does WBC compare to other Wyndham resorts in the area? What are the differences between Bonnet Creek and Star Island for example?
Star Island is my home resort. However, I have stayed there only once, before I was an owner. I stayed through the defunct Cendant/Wyndham program "Get Up and Go."
They put me in the inferior lock-out. It has only a partial kitchen, no washer and dryer, no balcony, and the 2 windows overlook the walkway and the internal staircase! A very disappointing experience for my first stay in Orlando, especially since I had been looking at pictures of the good lockout--with a washer/dryer, full kitchen, balcony, Jacuzzi, etc.
That being said, Star Island is a nice resort. It has a lake, the landscaping is nice, and there is a nice free form pool. It is a quiet resort, and there is a lot of convenience for its location off the Irlo Bronson.
However, since owning Wyndham, I have never stayed there (although I have visited), and have stayed at Bonnet Creek 3 times. The amenities and location of Bonnet Creek--and the fact that the cost for me would be the same--kind of knock Star Island out of the water.
The other Wyndham properties are (I might not have the names exactly correct): Cypress Palms (located behind Star Island, built by the same man, Hillel Meyers, who built Star Island, but slightly smaller and less nice), International Vacation Club (a converted motel inconveniently located; I have a friend who owns there), and that "new" Wyndham location south of Kissimmee, that looks very nice.

Last edited by carlbarry; 05-16-2013 at 09:56 PM. Reason: correct typo
carlbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #1530
jrod511
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbarry View Post
Star Island is my home resort. However, I have stayed there only once, before I was an owner. I stayed through the defunct Cendant/Wyndham program "Get Up and Go."
They put me in the inferior lock-out. It has only a partial kitchen, no washer and dryer, no balcony, and the 2 windows overlook the walkway and the internal staircase! A very disappointing experience for my first stay in Orlando, especially since I had been looking at pictures of the good lockout--with a washer/dryer, full kitchen, balcony, Jacuzzi, etc.
That being said, Star Island is a nice resort. It has a lake, the landscaping is nice, and there is a nice free form pool. It is a quiet resort, and there is a lot of convenience for its location off the Irlo Bronson.
However, since owning Wyndham, I have never stayed there (although I have visited), and have stayed at Bonnet Creek 3 times. The amenities and location of Bonnet Creek--and the fact that the cost for me would be the same--kind of knock Star Island out of the water.
The other Wyndham properties are (I might not have the names exactly correct): Cypress Palms (located behind Star Island, built by the same man, Hillel Meyers, who built Star Island, but slightly smaller and less nice), International Vacation Club (a converted motel inconveniently located; I have a friend who owns there), and that "new" Wyndham location south of Kissimmee, that looks very nice.
Thank you for making head and tails of it for me. Does not sound like I am missing out on anything compared to Bonnet Creek.

I'm trying to figure out how these guys that rent out their timeshares on ebay for $100-$125 per night are making any money? I still see too many potential downsides to owning for my situation, but obviously more than a few have figured out how to benefit of trading and renting.