Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #46
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger&tigerlover View Post
Hmm. I wonder if I need to take a few hat pins with me to encourage them to move on....
Probably if you plan on doing parades or fireworks.

Be aware, they will sneak in on you slowly. This lady (and I use the term loosely) didn't just come up and plop onto my lap. At first, she had her back to me. Over time, she kept moving back until she was leaning. Eventually, the leaning turned to sitting.

The person leaning on the back of my seat was a snake too. Closer, closer, lean.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #47
strawberrylilacs
Earning My Ears

After reading this thread I have decided to be proactive on my third trip to WDW in August using an ECV for the entire time. I have decided now to get the canopy not only for shade but to be more visible. I intend to give people a chuckle and smile when they see my scooter and maybe put them in a better mood when they (or I) pass by. I am ordering large stickers that I design to put on canopy (such as DISNEYWORLD LOVER GRANDMA DRIVING SAY HI! I DON'T BITE.) and maybe a balloon, decorations. I have had some of the same experiences as stated by others. Would be interesting to see if this changes things a little.
strawberrylilacs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #48
tigger&tigerlover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrylilacs View Post
After reading this thread I have decided to be proactive on my third trip to WDW in August using an ECV for the entire time. I have decided now to get the canopy not only for shade but to be more visible. I intend to give people a chuckle and smile when they see my scooter and maybe put them in a better mood when they (or I) pass by. I am ordering large stickers that I design to put on canopy (such as DISNEYWORLD LOVER GRANDMA DRIVING SAY HI! I DON'T BITE.) and maybe a balloon, decorations. I have had some of the same experiences as stated by others. Would be interesting to see if this changes things a little.
I've been considering a canopy for visibility. Please let us know here how it works out!
And if anyone here has already tried this, I'm sure more than just myself would love to hear about. IMO, anything that improves our visibility at Disney is a Good Thing.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #49
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineNic View Post
One of the first things that we do when we get to the parks is to buy a lighted helium balloon for DH's ECV. We tie the balloon on the back of his chair at eye level to an average adult. It really does seem to make DH on his ECV a bit less invisible. The light is necessary after dark.
We haven't stayed at any of the AK properties, so I don't know what we would do since balloons are prohibited there.

I wonder if using a canopy with the EVC might have a similar effect, since the canopy protrudes into the same visual space. DH uses his own EVC, which doesn't have a canopy, but I wonder if anyone that has used rental EVCs with and without a canopy has noticed a difference.

Years ago when Mom was alive and in her wheelchair (none or few EVC in those days) this is just what we did!

It wasn't that she cared whether anyone noticed her, she was concerned that she didn't want to hit anyone!

One thing we noted, was that normally in crowds people go hard left and right and stop fast, with the expected result of bumping each other. Now people bumping people no big deal. People and wheelchairs/EVC bumping more of a issue!

The bottom line is we are not so sure its people not noticing, but more people in a crowd in general.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #50
tigger&tigerlover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
The bottom line is we are not so sure its people not noticing, but more people in a crowd in general.

AKK
I suspect it's both. I've certainly seen that with general crowds as well. Being below eye level certainly doesn't help any. I've heard of studies (and advertising) that now shows adults can't view things below a certain level, when kids can. I read an article in the last week or so that actually shows a mall-type add for child abuse. The top part was generic, but there was a hidden message that only someone below a certain height could read, giving a phone number if they were being abused. So I guess in some ways the lack of visibility of WC and ECVs is actually scientifically based.

Which would also mean that doing anything to put our visibility back above a certain level would help.

So that being said, I plan to either rent the canopy or buy a lighted balloon (or both), and anything else that sounds like it would work.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #51
WheeledTraveler
DIS Veteran

If you rent an ECV with a canopy, be aware that there are many places where you will be asked or required to take it down. If you don't need the ECV in lines or in shops, restaurants, buildings, it won't be so bad, but I know we've had people come back here and say that there were so many places where they had to remove them that they just stopped using it after a few days.

I like the balloon idea. You can also get the sort of triangular flags that bicyclists use. If you feel like getting creative, you could make some sort of flashy cover to put over the seat back (with a rental, you should be able to get an approximate size from the rental company). Another thing that can be effective if you want people in front of you to be aware as you're moving forward is a bicycle bell. I once had a wheelchair that even came with a bell attached! It's much more effective than the "horn" that most ECVs have.
WheeledTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #52
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
I am a full time wheelchair user - I call this "rear eye view." Not something you really want to see all day!

Yes, I am invisible. Unless I can be useful to a person, then, I can be seen and touched. I have been leaned on, stood on, and one person even used my push handles when dancing at a concert once. So, yes, my wheelchair can also be a stripper pole.

It is more than becoming invisible when you use a wheelchair. You cease to be a person. You notice even that foul article in the NY Post kept talking about the "Handicapped," not the PERSON with the disability as if we become the disability.

Sometimes I feel we are more than disabled, we actually cease to be, and just become wheels, illness, and inconvenience.

The other option is that we become the cute new puppy in the room, with everyone wanting me to do "tricks" in my wheelchair. Next time someone asks me to do tricks I am going to start barking and ask for a cookie.

Wow! You said it ALL! You are "wise beyond measure"!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: