Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
morninggale
Earning My Ears

1st Time Going to Disney...Help!!! :)

Hey people of the world!!! Well like the title says it's going to be my first trip to Disney early May 2014 and like all average teenagers your parents charge you with booking the vacation! x) Btw it's going to be 2 adults and 2 teens (me and my 14yr old sis) and we are also going on my mom's 40th b-day!!! And none of us have ever been to Disney until now!

Okay enough of that well I finished planning the 9 days 8 nights thing and I was wondering if Disney can let us stay an additional night but not day???? (and is May 2014 a good choice for 1st time? I know about the Nov-Dec thing but I'm already surprising my parents for November 2014.

And now the fun part- booking the resort!!! My family is stuck right now on which resort out of these to pick and which will be more well suited for me and my sis plus my mom's b-day present-
Art of Animation- Family Suites (what's the difference is one quieter than the other?)
Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter
Coronado Springs Resort (my mom's liken this one)
Caribbean Beach Resort

I know I'm crazy I'm planning my own trip! But I'm having tons of FUN doin' it! Thank you to whoever responds to my many questions! I'm taking all the advice I can get!
morninggale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
abk96
Remember the true heroes, our police, firefighters, and the brave men and women in the military. Thank you for keeping us safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggale View Post
Okay enough of that well I finished planning the 9 days 8 nights thing and I was wondering if Disney can let us stay an additional night but not day????
You pay per night. You can stay an extra night as long as you pay for the night.

Happy planning!
July'09 BWV--June'12 BC-CL--July/Aug'13 BWI-CL--July/Aug'14 GF-SL and BWI--Feb'15 Sports

abk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
VroomVroomLightning
DIS Veteran

Art of Animation is nice and the rooms are very bright. My family stayed there right when they opened and loved it!

As for the Moderate Resorts I would say we prefer Port Orleans. We thoroughly enjoy the relaxing atmoshphere of it. Port Orleans French Quarter is not spread out at all, and everything is very close together.

I am unsure what you are asking about staying a day but not night? If you are talking about your tickets being for more days than you are actually there then yes you can do that. You can stay as many nights as you want and get tickets up to 10 days. You just have to use your days up 14 days after using them the first time. If you wanted to be there 8 nights, but skip a day in the middle to just rest and not do parks then you can do that!

If you are going in May then try to go in the beginning of May to beat the summer crowds!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
morninggale
Earning My Ears

Sweet! Thank you very much abk96 and VroomVroomLightning!

The night thing I mean were arriving in the after noon our first day but we want to rest so we can leave in the morning on the 10th day but does it make sense to pay the day if were not going to the parks?? Or should I just pay for 10day and 9 nights??
Old 05-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
CalicoSky
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Sweet! Thank you very much abk96 and VroomVroomLightning!

The night thing I mean were arriving in the after noon our first day but we want to rest so we can leave in the morning on the 10th day but does it make sense to pay the day if were not going to the parks?? Or should I just pay for 10day and 9 nights??
You book your resort by the number of nights you'll be staying there. You choose your tickets by the number of days you wish to spend at the four parks, so you do not have to pay for 10 days of parks if you can't (or just don't want to) spend that many days at the parks.

In your example, you'll choose a nine night resort stay. The next question you're asked when you're booking online (and I assume it's similar if you call) is how many days of park tickets you want. You would choose eight days of tickets if you opt to not go to parks on arrival and departure days.

I personally also include a non-park day mid-vacation when I'm there for a week or more...use that "off" day to explore Downtown Disney and/or the resort.

Have fun planning!
CalicoSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
MyTwoPrincesses
DIS Veteran

How fun to plan your trip! We just got back from a May trip and it was hot but not miserable hot. I couldn't see myself going in July or August. It was definitely hot enough for me!

Additional comments are below in red.

Quote:

Art of Animation- Family Suites (what's the difference is one quieter than the other?) Just stayed there, in the Lion King section. These are great and if they're in the budget (this is your most expensive option - don't feel you have to book through Disney though. I booked through Orbitz and layered a 20% off Orbitz coupon code on top of Disney's Spring Discount), this is the one I'd pick of your choices because it's more space for your family. Your parents have their room and you and your sister will have your own space - and your own beds. Plus access to two bathrooms makes it easier to get ready in the AM. The drawback is that the resort is definitely more geared towards younger kids - like all values, there is no pool slide.
Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter I've stayed at French Quarter. It's very nice. But it's not a suite. It's a small resort which is nice, but the pool slide is small. I believe that the pool at Riverside is larger with a better slide.
Coronado Springs Resort (my mom's liken this one) I stayed here in 2009 after it was refurbished. My thoughts are that it's probably going to be due for a refurb again. I liked it a lot and the pool is awesome - great slide.
Caribbean Beach Resort I've never stayed here, but unless it has been refurbished, I think it's the only moderate resort with full sized beds. Personally, that's a deal breaker since your parents will have to share a full sized bed and you and your sister will have to share a full sized bed.

I know I'm crazy I'm planning my own trip! But I'm having tons of FUN doin' it! Thank you to whoever responds to my many questions! I'm taking all the advice I can get!

Now a Mom of THREE Princesses.
DD (8) , DD (6) DD (3)

1989: Offsite
Nov 2009: 7 days at Coronado Springs
March 2011: 8 days at POFQ
May 2013: 7 days at Art of Animation (Lion King Suites)
Can't stay away! Heading back to WDW in February 2014: 6 days at Port Orleans Riverside
MyTwoPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey people of the world!!! Well like the title says it's going to be my first trip to Disney early May 2014 and like all average teenagers your parents charge you with booking the vacation! x) Btw it's going to be 2 adults and 2 teens (me and my 14yr old sis) and we are also going on my mom's 40th b-day!!! And none of us have ever been to Disney until now!

Okay enough of that well I finished planning the 9 days 8 nights thing and I was wondering if Disney can let us stay an additional night but not day???? (and is May 2014 a good choice for 1st time? I know about the Nov-Dec thing but I'm already surprising my parents for November 2014.

And now the fun part- booking the resort!!! My family is stuck right now on which resort out of these to pick and which will be more well suited for me and my sis plus my mom's b-day present-
Art of Animation- Family Suites (what's the difference is one quieter than the other?)
Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter
Coronado Springs Resort (my mom's liken this one)
Caribbean Beach Resort

Regarding resorts, it's more of personal taste which resort theming appeals to you, and your mom.
With the Family Suites, your parents will have their own room, and the living room has pull outs. I believe you get 2 bathrooms too.
All the moderates except CBR have 2 queen beds. CBR only has double beds.

My personal fav moderate is POR mansion section. It has a little more to offer with a boat to DTD, horse & carriage rides, fun evening entertainment in the lounge, Bob Jackson puts on a great show. Great food court too, and beautiful grounds. But that's me.
If your mom is leaning towards CSR, maybe take a look at that.

Planning is key to any successful wdw trip. And planning how you will tour the parks. There's not much of a price dif in a 9 or 10 day ticket, so I'd think about going your first day, depending what time you are arriving.

Some helpful web sites for planning are Mousesavers.com, and Allears.net. Allears has menus from every wdw table service and counter service restaurant in the parks and resorts. Plus an Accomodations section with a ton of resort pics and resort fact sheets.

A great Guide book, is helpful. We like WDW The Unofficial Guide. And their Touring Plans are extremely helpful especially for a first visit. It shows you the best sequence to see the attractions so you minimize your time waiting on long lines, and maximize your park time.
They also have a useful Crowd Calendar that will tell you the least crowded park each day.

Happy planning!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
morninggale
Earning My Ears

Hmm, well we go to every park on the 9 days I made but on the 10th day is when we leave the resort in the morning. (Does ESPN count as a park with Downtown Disney because we're going there on one day but do we need the park hopper?)

So does that mean I book 10 days and 9 nights for resort and 9 tickets with 6 park hoppers? 3 days were only in one park. And for Water and Fun we go to the water parks on separate days so can we only buy 2 days for those tickets?

Does this make sense? This is what I got from allears and other sources of WDW websites.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #9
CalicoSky
Earning My Ears

For ticket and park questions, I highly recommend the Theme Parks board and its Tickets sticky thread. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1452684

Specifically, check out the ticket type definitions. In a nutshell, base tickets (those normally accompanying resort packages) cover the four major parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom). Hoppers will let you "hop" only between those four. The minor "parks"--such as DisneyQuest, water parks, World of Sports--use different ticket types. Downtown Disney is a shopping/entertainment area; no admission required.

Honestly, though...for a first trip I suggest focusing on the major parks unless someone in your group has one of the other areas as a must-do. These parks are massive and packed full of rides/attractions, shows, dining options, and shopping. MK and Epcot can easily consume two days each, HS and AK deserve at least a full day each.

Don't forget your resort, either. They're very well themed and worth exploring. Check out the pool, look for the details in the decorations, watch for entertainment options such as movies on the lawn, live performers, bike rentals, carriage rides, etc.
CalicoSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:19 AM   #10
lizzi6692
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hmm, well we go to every park on the 9 days I made but on the 10th day is when we leave the resort in the morning. (Does ESPN count as a park with Downtown Disney because we're going there on one day but do we need the park hopper?)

So does that mean I book 10 days and 9 nights for resort and 9 tickets with 6 park hoppers? 3 days were only in one park. And for Water and Fun we go to the water parks on separate days so can we only buy 2 days for those tickets?

Does this make sense? This is what I got from allears and other sources of WDW websites.
Days on your ticket are in no way linked to the number of nights you stay. You could stay 7 nights and 14 day tickets, or vice versa(or any other number you choose). Going to ESPN requires the water park and more option or you may be able to pay admission for just that for one day though and it may be cheaper if you only plan to enter ESPN once and nothing else on the water park fun and more. If you add the water parks fun and more option it will give you the same amount of entries(which are different than days) as you have days on your tickets. This means you can enter a water park, Disney Quest, or ESPN as many times as you have days on your tickets, but unlike park tickets you can use these one day at a time or all in one day if you choose. Like the water parks fun and more option, park hoppers are one flat fee for your whole trip($62) not charged per day(and you get a discount if you have both options on your tickets). Downtown Disney is just shopping, restaurants, and entertainment not a park, so you do not need a ticket. I suggest you read a lot more(and ask more questions if need be) on this site before you officially book, because otherwise I have a feeling you may end up booking more than you need to.

Previous Trips:
September 2010: Caribbean Beach
May 2011: Coronado Springs
December 2011: Pop Century
Next Trip:
December 2013: Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report
lizzi6692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #11
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Take a look at the slide shows and fact sheets at www.allears.net You'll get a good feel for the resorts.

For what it's worth, friends of mine stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and loved it!! The kids particularlly enjoyed the pool.

As far as tickets go, we always get one for each day we're in Florida. Once you get past day #3 or 4, the difference in price is minimal. And you might find that you want to run back for an hour or so. (We always get a LATE flight home so we get at least half a day.)

Have fun planning!

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #12
abk96
Remember the true heroes, our police, firefighters, and the brave men and women in the military. Thank you for keeping us safe.

We are staying 7 nights, 8 days and only have 6 day park hopper tickets. We won't use it on the first night because we get in later and we will have a relaxing down day on our departure day even though we don't leave until late.

You need to put the park hoppers on each ticket for the total ticket days. So if you get a 9 day ticket you will need to get a 9 day park hopper.

Definitely check out the websites everyone has listed here. They are very helpful.

Have fun!
July'09 BWV--June'12 BC-CL--July/Aug'13 BWI-CL--July/Aug'14 GF-SL and BWI--Feb'15 Sports

abk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
morninggale
Earning My Ears

After reading and rereading the sticky thread that CalicoSky recommended and looking at allears.net. I'm either getting it or I'm majorly confused.

Let me get this straight the MYW tickets are major parks so I'll get 7 of those cause we go 6 1/2 out of 9 days to the major parks. (1/2 meaning we go to a minor then a a major on same day). But 3 out of those we go to 2 major parks so out of what abk96 wrote I will still get 7 park hoppers correct? Or should i just order them separately and get 3 park hoppers would I save money then?

Now the other 2 1/2 days are both water parks, ESPN, and, DisneyQuest and also Downtown Disney I know that it's a shopping thing for no admission now. So the Water Park Fun and More option then do I purchase then for only 2 days or is it like the park hopper?

Thank you to those who have replied to this thread and to those who have yet to reply. And to those who view it and not bother to post
Old 05-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
lizzi6692
DIS Veteran

Quote:
After reading and rereading the sticky thread that CalicoSky recommended and looking at allears.net. I'm either getting it or I'm majorly confused.

Let me get this straight the MYW tickets are major parks so I'll get 7 of those cause we go 6 1/2 out of 9 days to the major parks. (1/2 meaning we go to a minor then a a major on same day). But 3 out of those we go to 2 major parks so out of what abk96 wrote I will still get 7 park hoppers correct? Or should i just order them separately and get 3 park hoppers would I save money then?

Now the other 2 1/2 days are both water parks, ESPN, and, DisneyQuest and also Downtown Disney I know that it's a shopping thing for no admission now. So the Water Park Fun and More option then do I purchase then for only 2 days or is it like the park hopper?

Thank you to those who have replied to this thread and to those who have yet to reply. And to those who view it and not bother to post
Park hoppers are a one time, static fee whether you have 1 day tickets or 14 day tickets. Like park hoppers it is a one time fee that is the same no matter how many days your tickets are for. Park Hopper and WPFM are each around $62 when purchased separately, but you get a discount if you buy both(I believe it's around $100 for both per person).

Previous Trips:
September 2010: Caribbean Beach
May 2011: Coronado Springs
December 2011: Pop Century
Next Trip:
December 2013: Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report
lizzi6692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
I Run Long
DIS Veteran

Hi Morninggale! I going to give this a shot and try and explain.

This is what I do. We always arrive late in the day so we never get a ticket for that day, nor do we get a ticket for the day we depart. So let's, for the sake of argument, say that means out of 12 days we are in DW, we are actually only able to visit the parks (meaning MK, DHS, AK and Epcot) for 10 days. We would buy a 10 day MYW ticket with PH and Water Parks and more add-on. We do love to Park Hop, so hence the Park Hoppers add-on. Also like the water parks so we get that too. The 10 day MYW with Park Hopper will let you visit all the major parks, as indicated above, as many times as you like in 10 days. DTD doesn't count - it's free anyway. So if you want to visit all 4 parks in 1 day, you can because you have park hoppers. The water park add-on also lets you visit them 10 times because a 10 day ticket gives you 10 visits. Visits to a water park DO NOT count against your 10 day MYW ticket with PH. So if you use all of your 10 day MYW ticket - you conceivably still have 10 visits to the water parks and Disney Quest to use. I say conceivably because remember your tickets begin to expire and will expire in 14 days after you walk through the first gate at any of the major parks. If you want a ticket with PH it must and will equal the same amount of days that you buy the MYW ticket. If it is a 4 day MYW ticket if will have 4 days of PH. If it is a 5 day MYW ticket it will have a 5 day PH. You can't buy a ticket a 5 day MYW ticket with say only 3 days of PH. It simply doesn't work that way. The same goes for Water Parks and More add-on. The number of days you buy your MYW ticket will equal that number of days that your Water Park & More add-on. It can be really confusing but suffice to say: any add-on you buy whether it be PH or Water Park will equal the number of days of your base MYW ticket. It can never be separate. Hope I haven't confused the issue.

Also meant to add - like lizzie6692 says - the PH add-on, as well as, the water park add-on are a fixed fee regardless of how many days you MYW tickets are.

Me DH DS18 DD16

I Run Long is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: